8.9

$3,483.00

1. rebuild or replace the transmission (12 reports)
  3. turn it into a 5sp (1 reports)
2003 Saturn Vue transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Saturn Vue:

2003 Saturn Vue Owner Comments

Jan 132014

• CVT transmission

I purchased my Saturn Vue brand new. This will be the fifth Transmission & the vehicle has 150,000 miles on it. The first time it had 62,000 miles on it. Saturn told me that it was out of warranty but I had purchased an extended warrenty. They said that the extended warranty did not cover the transmission. I threatened them with a lawsuit & they agreed to replace the transmission because so far nothing that had gone wrong was covered by the extended warranty. The new transmission lasted 27 miles, yes 27 miles. Saturn replaced it. At 110,000 miles the third transmission gave up the ghost. I had to absorb the cost because Saturn refused to talk to me. Now at 150,000 miles my wife was driving the Vue & with no warning it went BOOM!!!. She coasted to the side of the road & I can't afford another $3700.00 to travel 30,000 miles. Satun/GM won't talk to me & I never heard about any recall.

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Mar 012012

Vue

It sucks to have a vehicle you are still paying for and having it non-op and having to pay full coverage as it sits in the garage. Upon advising the bank that the vehicle is crap all they want is the money and don't care if you are inconvenienced. I love my car and all I want is to find out how to get it fixed..The other option is to pay $3,000.00 and have a transmission sent from Los Angelas. Hell living on a very fixed income...Thanks for listening.

- , Vallejo, CA, USA

May 102011

Vue V6

For the past two years I have called, wrote letters and sent e-mails, to my congressmen and to GM. I have never received a response. My vehicle is not running and I am handicapped. I need my vehicle to take me and my mom to the doctor.(she is also handicapped). We have had to take a cab. I get SSI disability. Someone hit my other car and I have had to have 8 surgeries in my rt leg, I also have nerve damage. I do need a car that I running not a plant stand. I still have to pay for insurance on the vehicle even if it is sitting. I do not know what else I can do. Everybody says that I have to bring it in I can't now that it is not running. I was getting estimates, but they even gave me the runaround. Can someone please help me!!!!

Thanks,

Elaina

- , Lehigh Acres, Florida, USA

Oct 102012

Vue V6

got diagnostics done by Goodyear tire - they said it was the transmission - Bought used transmission with 51K miles & had it installed. Turns out the car still will not work. Now diagnostics test pulls up zero codes. The engine is not 'talking' to the transmission & dealership says 50% chance they will find a solution. Could be a wiring issue, or ECM or TCM etc etc etc.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

May 082012

• CVT transmission

Bought car 09/04 with 12,000 miles. Transmission went at 16,000 miles in 10/04. They replaced but not without threating the general mgr at the dealership (hate doing that).

Within the next year would occasionly try to proceed at a light and car would pull back.

I would pull of road, restart, and it was ok. Everytime I have taken it into the dealership or repair shop would ask them to check the engine problem. "Computer says your fine and I drove it, runs good." I have heard this so many times I could scream. One mechanic at a repair shop asked If I was looking for a problem because nothing wrong with my car.

Had it the shop last week 4/30/12 because problem ongoing, everyday. That checked out fine and ofcourse he drove it and seemed good to him. Did replace back struts, front brake job, alignment, tune up and a few other small things.

Sunday was on the expressway and heard what sounded like rubbing front left tire area. Stopped and checked and nothing was rubbing. Decided that I would take back to repair shop was at last week. Pulled out the driveway Monday early am, with much difficulty, and chugged for 1/2 a mile the service engine now light came on then reduced power. Almost didn't make it that one mile. Later that day repair guy said the transmission lights are all red on the computer and to take it to a transmission place down street, which he towed down there. At 5/9 @ 5:00 I call trans shop and spoke to the owner and he said between $3500 and $5000 to replace trans! Said because 2.2 L in short supply and hard to find. I got sick and told him I would call him in the am. Really sucky timing on this and will not pay him that money. Need to research the 2.2L online and find myself one and a new trans shop. Any suggestions?

- , Sebastian, FL, USA

Apr 162010

Vue 2.2L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I bought the saturn vue for $3000.00 at an auto auction the person who was selling it said it only needed 200.00 worth of work. I never in my life have ever owned a vue and at this point i will never buy anything that GM wants to sell. I'm afraid of GM now. because seeing they didn't build an after market transmission for this car. How many other cars running around out there without after market transmissions. But i guess if they could make a vehicle that you have to replace the trasnmissions that's not rebuild-able they stand to make a lot more money off of no matter what the year i guess they feel it's ok if no one else is complaining I feel i was totally riped off on this deal. This was my only car i can't afford to buy another one this one killed my wallet. GM should replace this one or at least help with the payment cause i think they knew about this problem and did nothing. They knew these transmissions were junk cause why would you not build an after market transmission if you knew they were junk,2003 vt25e cvt 2.2l fwd junk. I'm very disapointed in GM i thought they were better than that.In the past they made after market parts for every car they made for cars truck and vans. But when it came to the vue they didn't why? I think i hit the nail on the head from what i wrote in my previous sentence. I think they owe me and everyone else who bought these junkie cars an explanation. Canda could have kept these or was it more like americans will buy them they'll buy anything did you think we would find out about these cars sooner or later? Or was that even a thought? proberly not. If you can't trust your auto makers to give you a fair shake who can you trust?

- , Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Dec 102011

Vue

The vti transmission used in these VUEs are so bad that they are breaking down everywhere. My mechanic could only find a couple from GM. This is a replacement transmission that only has 55,000 miles on it but GM only warranted it for 12,000. Ridiculous.

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Dec 192009

Vue

Saturn lost a class action lawsuit and had to pay half of this repair. but is was a very limited time offer.

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Dec 232011

Vue 3.0L

I have seen the other complaints, and believe we all need to contact the News Media , call the GM DEALER at 1-800-630-2438 and tell them what you plan on doing, I called this morning , they told me mine was not one that was under a recall, told them it was awful funny there were many on the NADA page of complaints concerning the GM Company format, on their recalls. But that is alright I will contact the NEWS MEDIA and let GM deal with them. So that is what I plan on doing. If you all stick together and call something might get done.

Update from Jan 6, 2012: Have taken my Saturn to a Certified Transmission place, they are rebuilding it for 1067.00 so this amount will be added to the Court Case I am about to bring against the Repair place that created the problem in the first place, how ever this does not stop , from contacting the Media. I did contact the Media and did not get a response, so they do not care either that the public get ripped off.

- , Nelsonville, OH, USA

May 042011

Vue

At 62,000 miles the transmission on my Vue went out. They were very nice and got a rental car and a lot of ass kissing. 32,000 miles later the same thing happened. There has been two law suits and they at one time added miles onto the warranty for the first suit and now in the second suit they offered to paid for half the cost. I can't see paying $2500.00 to drive a car 32,000 more miles. I see no answer without a new kind of transmission. I tried to talk with GM and got nowhere so I've turned it over to a lawyer.

- , Horn Lake, Mississippi, USA

Jul 032011

Vue Expresion 2.2L

• CVT transmission

So... Old GM lost the class action suit and was replacing the transmissions at no cost. After the bankruptcy, New GM will not honor any obligations set on them by the suit. The lawyers refile and New GM counter sues asking for sanctions against the lawyers.

In the meantime I have a large boat anchor on my drive because I can't afford $5300.00 Canadian to replace the cvt with a rebuilt one that has a warranty of 30 days or 6500 km's! OR... GM has graciously offered me $1500.00 credit for the car to be used towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. I THINK NOT!!!

- , Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Jun 062010

Vue Sport Utility 4d 4-Cly.2.2L

THIS CAR WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY SISTER BECAUSE SHE BOUGHT NEW CAR. BUT SHE HAS TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. AND SHE HAS A MOTION AGAINST THE PERSON THAT WAS TO FIX IT . THEY FIXED IT BEFORE AND IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY FOR A YEAR .THAN THE TRANSMISSION ACTED UP BEFORE THE YEAR WAS UP . SO ALL IN ALL THE CAR WAS NOT FIX.

- , Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Jun 222009

Vue AWD 2.2L

• CVT transmission

i bought this car thinking that 2.2 awd what a great deal. i paid 8600 for it. i got to drive it for 2 months. it stinks. then i find out that the trans are bad in all off them. the drive belt is what breaks. they are poorly made.

- , Newark, Ohio, USA

Mar 222007

Vue 2.2L

saturn refuses to replace their defective replacement transmission with only 16,000 miles on it. best they can do is a 10% discount cost is 5700. get real. i own 5 gm cars and never again.

- , Mcdonough, Georgia, USA

May 132008

Vue LX 2.2L

• CVT transmission

contacted Saturn to no avail. fortunately we had purchased extended warranty and that covered it. really disappointed that Saturn wasn't more helpful. they almost had a Vue left on their lot.

- , Wales, ME, USA

Oct 012007

Vue CVT 2.2L I4

• CVT transmission

The transmission will sometimes disengage while sitting in gear @ a light or such. When given throttle to proceed motion the transmission will slip then hit hard, jerking the car. This happens in reverse as well. Happens on incline or on level ground. I have replaced the fluid with OEM products (@ 85,000 miles) and the belt was replaced @ 40,000 miles.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 012008

Vue 2.2L I4

• CVT transmission

I hate GM. They make the flimsiest cars in the world. I'd rather own a Tata than a GM, or a Ford with 385,000 miles, than a GM car. But I have to give them credit in this situation. My Vue was whirring like a Cuisinart, so I took it to my local Saturn dealer. They kindly informed me that I needed new wheel bearing ($800), which was pretty abnormal for a car with 43,500 miles in my opinion. They also rebuilt the transmission, which, fortunately, GM did under an extended warranty. I must give them credit for doing this- I can't get Nissan to replace my lemon engine in my Altima...

- , Columbus, Ohio, USA