NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2006 Saturn Vue (Page 3 of 4)

2006 Saturn Vue seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Saturn Vue:

2006 Saturn Vue Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 092014

Vue

This time after being diagnosed again, with no founded reason for the throttle sticking (at mileage 130000 at the shop, the throttle stuck on hubby while he was driving only 40 mph on the snow covered roads. Throttle stuck and went to over 60mph, at that point he was no longer concerned about the tachometer nor speed. The car stopped only after hitting the guardrails. Police, medics and tow truck on scene, front end of the car was torn off to the ground, unsure of what all damage is done at this point. However the airbags did not deploy either! now this is truly a major incident and we shall see how my insurance company wants to handle the issue. I will not be looking for another Saturn, that is for certain.

- Greene, NY, USA

Jun 102006

Vue

Ever since I purchased the car, the air bags have been a problem. They were replaced in 2008 by the dealer. Well, air bag light indicator is on again. It's a problem with the heated seats on the passenger side and air bag indicator. If I turn the heated seat on passenger side on, the view minutes later the air bag light indicator goes off. Once I turn off the heated seat, the air bag light comes back on. It pretty stupid to run the heated seat in the summer time, but that's what I have to do to keep my family safe. None of the air bags will work unless I use the heated seat. I believe a recall should be considered on this before somebody ends up killed because of the air bags, if they have not already. I am also afraid that constant continued use of the heated seat will cause a fire.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Mar 202013

Vue 6-cyl

The air bag light on the dash came on and went off for several weeks and when this would happen, the air bag stated it was not on even when someone was sitting in the front passenger seat. I took it the GM dealer in my area and was told that the air bag sensor and passenger side heater switch needed to be replaced. After researching this particular problem online, I found several reports on various websites of this exact problem occurring in this same make/model of vehicle regarding the air bag sensor/seat heater sensor. When the dealer was asked about this concern/repair, we were told it was not a common occurrence, even though online reports stated differently. My question is that since this seems to be a repetitive problem of the exact same nature with this vehicle make/model and year, why did GM not submit a recall for this serious safety concern regarding the air bag issue?..updated 04/25/13

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Mar 012013

Vue 6-cyl

Passenger side seat triggers the airbag light to come on. Does this mean that the airbags no longer work?

- Skowhegan, ME, USA

Jan 242013

Vue

I own a 2006 Vue with heated seats. The airbag indicator light for the drivers side stays on at all times. I took it to a mechanic, and after a few days of diagnostics, he was perplexed. He took it to a certified GM dealership, and they told him the airbag system would need to be replaced. They did not tell him the reason, nor did they associate the problem with the seat warmer. They evaded further probing, and claim no responsibility, as "there is no system recall or report of defect". after reading through the hundreds of similar complaints, I believe there must be a defect.....or, I guess it is just a "coincidence" that several of the owners had this "freak" occurrence. Perhaps the costs of potential lawsuits over safety violations is less costly than performing a recall??

- Norman, OK, USA

Feb 012013

Vue

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the front passenger side air bag indicator did not illuminate while there was an occupant present. The failure occurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the front passenger side air bag senor and seat heating element would need to be replaced. The part was ordered and the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Jun 122012

Vue 4-cyl

The airbag light on the driver's side came on when driving at a speed of approximately 50 mph. It stayed on after driving about 15 miles then went off, and then came back on again and stayed on for several more miles.this was the first incident. Now, each time that I drive the car, the airbag light comes on and stays on longer. It seems to go off when I hit a bump and/or turn the wheel, but then comes back on again. I checked into having it fixed, and it could cost as much as $1200 to fix it. I was told the original system that was installed is faulty and that many Saturn Vue's 2006 have this same exact problem. I contacted Saturn and they said that since there has not been a recall, they won't cover the cost to install a new one. This is definitely a safety issue, when the driver's airbag is not working! since there have been so many complaints about the airbag systems in the Saturn Vue, why hasn't Saturn issued a recall" aren't our airbags supposed to last for the life the car or until there is a crash making it deploy" right now if I am in a crash, my airbag won't deploy and the reason it won't deploy is that the original system is faulty.

- Wimberley, TX, USA

May 302012

Vue 4-cyl

Air bag light keeps coming on intermittently and when check it showed the third row left side impact sensor. This is the second time that I have had issues with the air bag system. I just want to know why a recall hasn't been issued if this is common with all Saturn?S. this is putting my family and me at risk. GM needs to step up and fix this issue.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Sep 072010

Vue

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Vue. TL the contact was driving 65 mph and noticed that the air bag alert signal was illuminated. The contact stated that the air bag light for the passenger side air bag would not illuminate, indicating that the air bag was turned off. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where unknown repairs were made to the vehicle. After the repairs, the failure recurred once the seat heater was activated. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that she would need to return to an authorized dealer for diagnosis of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,500.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 302012

Vue 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Saturn Vue purchase in January 2012 with 100,000 miles the problem is the air bag readiness light comes on almost constant. The dealer says its a pps problem this is a common problem in Saturn.why is their no recall?

- Benzonia, MI, USA

Nov 012010

Vue

2006 Saturn Vue. Front passenger air bag indicator light will not come on even with a heavy person. I was informed it was the seat warmer. Bad design! will cost $900 to fix.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Dec 012011

Vue

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that the air bag light constantly illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact also stated that the illumination of the air bag light indicated that the air bag was not functioning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for a diagnostic test, but the dealer did not inform the contact what the cause of failure was or if any repairs were necessary. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Jul 012011

Vue 6-cyl

The airbag light comes on intermittently. My Saturn repair center says there is a problem in the wiring in the passenger seat. The problem is interrelated to the passenger heating system and the passenger presence sensing system. I am having the problem fixed. I am finding out that this problem is being reported by others. Saturn should be held responsible for fixing this problem so that it cannot recur in the future at their expense. It is obviously an engineering flaw that is putting my safety and the safety of others at risk. I have reported this problem to General Motors and they have taken no action.

- Hamilton, VA, USA

Feb 012011

Vue 6-cyl

Air bag indicator light for passenger seat comes on and off intermittently. Dealer says the first thing that has to be fixed is the seat heater element in passenger seat because it sets a code for the passenger side airbag. That is a cost of $300 plus and does not even fix any possible issue with the airbag. Don't know if there is an issue with the airbag for sure until seat element repaired.

- Bentonville, AR, USA

May 022011

Vue

Passenger airbag light causes the airbag dash light to come on. Even if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, the system doesn't always read that there is someone there and the sensor will not turn on the airbag on the passenger side. When airbag is off, the idiot light on the dash comes on. When it does read someone is sitting there, the sensor turns the airbag on and the idiot light goes out in the dash. Don't know if the airbag is going to work in the event of an accident. Seems to be a big problem with these vehicles. GM don't you think you should pay to fix your mistakes?

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 092011

Vue

Passenger side air bag sensor failed; possibly causing air bags to inflate while car in motion or no inflation if in accident. Multiple reports posted on blog with exactly same Saturn. Cost to fix problem centers around $1050 with mine coming in at $1040.24. Local GM repair center manager aware of issue & highly suggested I advise NHTSA as this is considered a safety issue! frustrated that Saturn did not issue a recall. Report made to Chevrolet @ 800-222-1020 with reference #71-934029515.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Apr 182011

Vue

Passenger air bag seat sensor malfunction. Seems that there are a large number of people on the Saturn blog with same issue and same symptoms.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Apr 012011

Vue

I noticed that my air bags were flipping on and off, and that when I hit the seat warmer the air bags flip back to on. I took my car to have it looked at and they told me that the heater in the seat was causing this problem. This is not safe at all.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012009

Vue 6-cyl

Airbag system sensors for 2006 Saturn Vue are failing. A light is indicating that airbags will not inflate in the event of a collision. This occurred just after my 60,000 mile warranty had expired. I was told this would not be covered by Saturn as a warranty item. I feel this is a safety issue that should be covered and replaced by General Motors. The Vue currently has 88,000 miles. The vehicle will not protect passengers in the event of a collision in it's current state. Correction made to year in description. Updated IVOQ 01/19/11

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 082010

Vue

Airbabs - mulitple impact on passenger side and front. Causing passenger fron T wheel to break at axle and two rear wheels to bend under fraime. Airbags did not deploy

- Fort Worth, TX, USA