CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

6.6

2. replace dashboard (8 reports)
  3. toyota will recall and replace dashes on 2003-2005 4runner (2 reports)
2004 Toyota 4Runner accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota 4Runner:

2004 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 052012

4Runner SR5 3.2L

IT HAS BEEN 7 MONTHS SINCE I BROUGHT MY 4 RUNNER IN TO GET THE DASHBOARD REPLACED

ALWAYS GET THE SAME ANSWER " NOT IN YET " IF THEY ARE NOT GOING TO LIVE UP TO THEIR WORD TO FIX IT , THEN WHY SEND A LETTER OUT THAT THEY WILL MAKE GOOD . AFTER ALL MY MONEY WAS GOOD AS THERE WAS NO FAULT WITH IT. AS THE SAYING GOES THE HELL WITH YOU ! WE GOT YOUR MONEY!!

- , Palm Coast, USA

Aug 012014

4Runner Sport Edition V6

I was told today by my auto mechanic that he thinks Toyota has 1 recall for the cracked dash on my vehicle. I found this site and discovered that many others have the same issue and that Toyota is doing nothing to fix them at no cost, which would be the right thing to do. I will take my vehicle into the Toyota Dealership and try to get them to fix it at no cost to me (I will carefully document the entire exchange) If they fix it, great, if they do not, I will contact Corporate and discuss with them. If I still receive no help, I will try to determine if there is an existing class action suit, and if there is not a current class action- I will consul with an attorney to determine if a lawsuit is the best action to take? If so, then this site looks to me as a great place to find others interested in a lawsuit.

In summary--- I plan to methodically--- step by step---- resolve this issue.

- , Pearland, USA

Jan 012012

4Runner SR5/Sport 4WD 3.0L

Apparently this is a common problem - got my recall notice in the mail. Have not taken the vehicle in yet as I didn't know the crack on my passenger side dash was included, but based on pictures I have seen from other posts on this site, I am going to take in and see. Definitely annoying this happened. Car is always garaged, never abused so very frustrating. Read that Lexus is also doing repairs/replacement - not sure if I can have a Lexus dealer do the repair on my Toyota - gotta find that answer out yet.

- , Middleton, WI, USA

Aug 082013

4Runner Limited V8

DASHBOARD IS CRACKING ALL OVER. CALLED TOYOTA, TOLD ME DUE TO WEAR AND TEAR AND NOT COVERED. TOLD THEM IT WAS A MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT. REFUSED TO COVER THE COST OF FIXING IT. SOMEONE PLEASE START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. RANT ABOUT THE BAD CUSTOMER CARE FROM TOYOTA. THE COMPANY IS MORE INTERESTED IN MAKING PROFITS THAN PROTECTING ITS REPUTATION.

- , Weston, FL, USA

Jul 012014

4Runner Limited 437L V8

Crack on dashboard appeared out of nowhere, car has been garaged all the time (at work & home). Noticed it when it's about 4 inches, now it's 11 inches long. From other owners experience, the gap will probably open up and look worse. My other car (Accord) is even older and dash is fine, plus I apply more Armor All to this 4Runner's dashboard.

After reading online comments, it sounds like the manufacturer used inferior materials. I'm partial to Japanese cars, just because of my experience with them, but, this is my last Toyota vehicle... Mechanically I have no problem with the vehicle.

- , Glendale, CA, USA

Apr 172011

4Runner Sport Edition 4.0L

cracked dashboard

My 2004 Toyota 4Runner has a lot of Cracks on the Dash board extending from left to right. Small ones, big ones, I am afraid of the big Crack across the passages side because of the Air-bag. I did call Toyota in California, went through the whole process, case number but NO HELP AT ALL.

Also had ABS problems, all lights on, no brakes, peddle is hard, Truck will not stop! Call Toyota again, will NOT help, someone needs to die before they do something!! I had to spend $1500.00 to get this fixed at the dealer, Brand new ABS Pump Assy.

Thanks Toyota for all your help, I am now getting a good Lawyer !!

Regards Daniel Dharrie

Update from Feb 9, 2015: Hi everyone, Good news, Got a letter from Toyota today they will extend warranty to replace and repair Cracked Dash Board, and or sticky/melting Dashboard (Instrument panel) as a result of heat, 2003-2005 4Runner, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2007-2011 Camry, 2004-2010 Sienna, 2004-2008 Solara Vehicles.

Thank you Toyota !!

- , Miami, FL, USA

Dec 102013

4Runner SR5 4.7L

Toyota will not issue a fix or recall for this problem. It is also a problem in their Lexus line as well

Update from Jan 27, 2015: Toyota has issued a recall for 2003-2005 4Runners cracked dashes. Thank you Toyota.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 282014

4Runner Sport V8

Very Annoying, seeing it as I enter my SUV, and seeing it as I drive.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Sep 012010

4Runner Limited 4.0L V6

Dash cracked at air bag location on passenger side in 2010, then last year it started cracking in front of driver above instrument cluster.

- , San Antonio, TX, Texas, USA

Apr 102014

4Runner LX 3.2lV6

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I think Toyota should fix this problem. Because this look real bad and not good business, Toyota, need to fix the problem.

- , Loxley, AL, USA

May 232010

4Runner Limited 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

After seeing a large number of complaints from fellow owners of early 4th Gen Toyota 4Runners ('03-'05), it seems to me as though this issue is more than a mere coincidence. At the very least, I would like to see Toyota acknowledge this problem in these vehicles. I couldn't be happier with my Toyota from a mechanical standpoint, but it bothers me that with as much attention to detail that goes into building these vehicles, something like this can't be rectified in relatively short order. I bought my 4Runner because it was "built to last". I have babied this vehicle and kept it in a garage for nearly all of the time I've owned it. I think the right thing to do is to acknowledge the problem and offer a reasonable solution.

- , Littleton, CO, USA

May 102006

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Dash has cracked - want to know if Toyota will recall to fix the problem? Toyota Dealer of no use.

- , Indialatic, FL, USA

Aug 012012

4Runner Limited 4.7L V8

We purchased this vehicle in May of 2004, only owner and has low miles, garage kept and the dash has cracks all over it, a very ugly sight, I take pride in my vehicles and take good care of them, this is a Limited Edition and paid good money for this SUV. Took it to Courtesy Toyota in Brandon Fl. and was told that the SUV looked new but the end result was that Toyota would not help me due to the age of the vehicle. Needless to say this is the first and last Toyota I will purchase. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I'm going back to a American made vehicle. I am VERY DISSAPPOINTED in Toyota due to the fact that they know about this problem and will not do anything to help.

- , Valrico, FL, USA

Oct 012012

4Runner SR5 4.0L

I contacted Toyota and they apologized but never went any further than that. This is unsatisfactory. I have a 1992 Honda Accord that I have owned since 1993. It sits in the sun everyday in Gainesville Florida. It looks like new. My 4runner dash looks like sh*t. I am embarrassed when people ride in my car. Other than the dash the car is in excellent condition. A friend of mine purchase a Kia Suv not too long ago. She had a 2003 4runner and all of a sudden she bought the Kia. I asked her why she bought a new vehicle. She said that the 4runner was falling apart. I said it shouldn't if you take care of it. She told me that the dash was cracking and she thought it was a sign to get rid of the 4runner before it costs too much to keep.

I told her that it was a common issue and that mine was cracking also. Now she regrets getting rid of it.

I know that Lexus SUV's are having the same issue.

One owner took his in and the dealer (Stealership) said that they would put a new one in and they would partially pay for it. Now that is the high end dealership. I haven't heard of a regular Toyota dealership doing it.

It comes down to no service after the sale. No backing their product. Piss poor management. It all about the buck and we mean nothing to them. I am done with Toyota after the 4runner dies. Admit that you are wrong and fix the problem. It will never happen.

- , Gainesville, FL, USA

Apr 132006

4Runner SR5 4.0L

Make Toyota pay for replacement, that is if we make more noise to have their attention on this problem.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Oct 092012

4Runner

Would like Toyota to fix or replace, so far they have ignored the request as it appears I am not the only one.

- , Palm Coast, FL, USA

Apr 032008

4Runner Limited 4.7L

Most expensive vehicle ever purchased by me. A retirement present to myself, 4 wheel drive back up camera etc. A Toyota 4 runner still in pristine condition except for one thing that ugly dash board. When I first noticed some small cracks in the covering I was stunned. Have an older car bought second hand with same type of dash material with no cracking. Toyota has been garaged since new, dash cleaning was a damp cloth, no alcohol based cleaners. Complained to corporate they said go to dealership, who said for $1,000 they would be glad to replace the dash board. I believe that substandard material was used in the manufacturing of said dash and with Toyota corporate unwilling to own up to this, tells me that they should not be selling vehicles in the USA. Have a friend looking for a used car, my advice to her is stay away from anything stamped Toyota. Never again. Only deal with manufacturers who will back their products.

- , Indian Rocks Beach, Fla., USA

Dec 092010

4Runner SR 5 V6

Why isn't a recall in place on this problem? from looking at the internet, it will affect toyota credibility considerably. Major complaint with consumers that own vehicle and no solution to problem and I cannot sell with cracked dashboard. Since I have owned vehicle in 2010, it has not been parked outside at home or office and never made a trip to the beach.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Jul 262007

4Runner ES 3.2L

I START TO SEE SMALL CRACKS ON THE DASH WHEN THE CAR WAS ONLY DRIVEN 44,000 MILES

TOOK IT TO THE DEALER THEY SAY BECAUSE IT IS 3 YEARS OLD MY WARRANTY EXPIRES. I WAS TOLD TO REPLACE IT WILL BE $1400. I COULD NOT AFFORD IT. I HAD A FORD EXPLORER BEFORE THE 4 RUNNER.DROVE IT FOR 14 YEARS AND RACK UP NEARLY 150,000 MILES NEVER HAD SUCH EXPERIANCE

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYATO AGAIN. THEY HAVE LOST A GOOD CUSTOMER. MY FRIEND GOT ONE.

HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND THE DEALER IN NEW YORK TOLD HIM THEY HAVE SEVERAL COMPLIANTS ABOUT THIS AND HAS FORWARD IT TO THE MANUFACTURE,THAT IS IT. THEY ALL FULL

OF SH*T. BUYER BEWARE.

- , Margate, FL, USA

Jun 012012

4Runner

I hate this. My car is kept in a garage. the scratch is shape like and H about 5 inches wide and height 4 inches

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA