CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2005 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota 4Runner:

2005 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 162011

4Runner

A small crack started to appear on the dashboard above the instrument panel back on may of 2011. As time passes by the crack has been growing past the top part of the gauges towards the passenger side. New cracks have also appeared around the air vents, above the radio and the passenger air bag area. I have tinted windows and always use a sun visor when vehicle is parked. I believe this is caused by the swelling of the high density foam used to manufacture the dashboard.

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

Mar 082013

4Runner 6-cyl

I was pulling into my garage very slowly and when I stepped on the brake, the car accelerated rapidly like it was shot out of a cannon. I went through the back of the garage (sheet rock, 2X4, freezer and other items that were stored in the garage). I was air born and landed about 10 feet from the house with my foot still on the brake. The airbags did not deploy and I hit my face on the steering wheel, injuring my nose and required 7 stitches in my lip. I could've been killed but god was on my side.

- Windsor, CT, USA

Aug 082012

4Runner

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated numerous cracks were found along the dash board. The contact mentioned that the passenger side air bag was expose which could cause it to deploy without any impacts. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 90,221.

- Moca, PR, USA

Aug 092012

4Runner

My wife reported a thin crack in the dash assembly on our 4runner. The car is kept in a garage and she uses a sun visor when parked at work. Although it is a 2005 limited 4 wheel drive model, it only has 39,000 miles on it. There are cracks on the drivers side dash corner and three in different areas of the dashboard. No accidents and no children banging on the dash. Noticed online this is a common complaint. Nice if Toyota assisted in a very expensive repair.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA

Oct 012011

4Runner 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that there was a crack in the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 73.000. Updated 02/13/12 the consumer was worried the cracks would interfere with operation of the air bags. Updated 02/17/12

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Nov 042011

4Runner 6-cyl

The cable on the spare tire lift mechanism freyed and became stuck. The spare tire would not come down all the way. When I did get it down, I inspected the cable and it was badly damaged by the retraction mechanism. Cable could have easily failed and dropped the spare tire onto the road while driving. Toyota has recalled a similar mechanism on the sienna model, however, they told me it was not on recall for the Toyota 4runner. Failure of that cable on the expressway could cause a serious accident. Toyota wants $250 to replace the mechanism which is a poor design and will fail again.

- Midland, MI, USA