Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2005 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota 4Runner:

2005 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 092016

The undercarriage of my Toyota 4runner is rusted and falling apart. The calibers have frozen for the second time in the last year due to rust and the front axle has broken. The 2005 4runner has 69,000 miles on it and when I took it to the dealer the mechanic showed me that rust has taken over the frame of my car and explained that due to the excessive rust it would not be a good idea to fix. This car should be able to go more than 69,000 miles and rust is the reason.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Jun 302016

The frame is completely rusted through in several spots to include several brackets on the underside of the vehicle.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jun 262016

Was backing out of a parking space while turning and front-passenger wheel swing arm completely detached from the frame due to severe rust. When attempting to pull onto flatbed tow truck, both front tow-hooks completely pulled out of frame also due to rust. Seems that the frame os completely rusted and unsafe on 11 year old vehicle.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Jun 252016

Severe frame rust: 2005 4runner SR5 V8 in stratosphere mica blue. Vehicle has been driven in Michigan and Ohio for its entire life of 104,850 miles as of today. Vehicle received complete rustproofing of underbody, underhood and body panels when new. Despite undercoating and constant washing in the winter, the frame has experienced significant rust. Front cross member is rusted almost completely through and is expected to break through soon. Trailing arm brackets are becoming thin and I have been warned that when they break I will lose control of the vehicle. Holes are starting to rust through on frame. Mechanic has informed me that underbody coating can not protect from rust that begins inside poorly made frames and that it will become a serious safety concern in the near future. This vehicle has been washed religiously in winter and all inspection/maintenance records are available. Body, interior and driveline are in above average condition, and vehicle has been driven below average miles (9500 per year). How can a car manufacturer make a vehicle frame which rusts out this quickly? the vehicle still looks and drives like new on the outside but will literally fall apart at the seams. This vehicle clearly has the same issue that other Toyota's have had with frame corrosion but I see no campaign to assist owners with this issue. I have always loved my Toyota's but this problem is so severe that not only will I avoid the brand forever but it will also cause me significant financial distress as I cannot afford a frame replacement nor should I have to replace this vehicle at such a low mileage/age. Please help. I don't understand how corrosion this severe is possible on a vehicle which has been cared for this well. I have hundreds of records for this vehicle going back to when it was new.

- Big Rapids, MI, USA

Apr 162016

The vehicle is just 11 years old with about 150K miles. Frame is rusted to the point the dealership is refusing to do repairs for fear of breaking the frame and has indicated I need a new vehicle. The vehicle has been stored in a garage since the day it was purchased. This includes work and home. Several times a year it was taken to the car wash including undercarriage washes during winter months when possible. It has had every Toyota and dealership recommended maintenance performed at the dealership.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Jun 132016

The frame has rusted and cracked at the front of the vehicle the crack extending to the wheel. None of this would have been visible to a mechanic accept that the skid plate had been removed when a new transmission was installed.

- Rutland, VT, USA

May 292016

I was driving the vehicle, hit a pot hole. Little bit after that, when I came to a stop and started to accelerate, the vehicle started to swirve all over the road and become uncontrollable. I was able to pull over and stop the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the rear component broke off from the frame due to rust. The dealer stated that the SUV will need frame replaced due to rust. The vehicle 180K miles tune up was performed at the dealer in winter 2015 and no rust was mentioned upon "complete" inspection. The vehicle is now non operation and is a total lost due to rust. Every 30K miles the vehicle was taken to the dealer for maintenance. Oil changes were performed every 5K miles with synthetic oil. The car has been garaged for since purchasing it new in 2005. It has never been on the beach. Salt is not used on our road.

- Sterling, AK, USA

May 182015

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that the dashboard was peeling and coming apart. The contact was notified by the manufacturer of the potential defect according to a manufacturer's satisfaction campaign, but the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 202016

• 1,290,000 miles
Major frame rust could lead to safety issue. Please look into this issue.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4 runner. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle veered left to right. The contact discovered that the stabilitizer bar failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the frame was rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000. Updated 02/18/16

- Grundy, VA, USA

Sep 012015

There was no "frame rotting" selection so I just chose what I think is affected. Major scaling on the inside. Outside looks perfect. Well, it seems that the inside rotted so bad that my inner frame rail on the passenger side near the rear track arm had almost rotted through. It is soft like a sponge, but yet the factory Toyota frame paint held it together. Poking it with my finger and it all crumbled revealing quite a few holes. Hood also has a lot of little rusted parts. This didn't happen because of negligence of my part. I take good care of my cars and never had troubles like these with any other car brands.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Sep 252014

Low mileage car and parts of the frame are falling a part. Dealer refuses to service car as it is unsafe. Toyota says they have no problems with the 4runners rusting just there trucks at this time...?

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

May 272015

SUV under carriage is extremely rusted

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Sep 162014

I own a 2005 Toyota 4runner. The frame is rusting so severely that it may not pass inspection next year at this time. I live in pa. I have heard that Toyota has acknowledged that they have had frame issues with the Tacoma (same chasis), the early Tundra (I own a recalled 2000 with same issue), sequoias (same chasis as Tundra...... please tell me that the will recall my 4runner. I love the vehicle but the rust on the frame will kill it.

- Emlenton, PA, USA

Apr 052012

4Runner 8-cyl

I own a 2005 Toyota 4runner which is rusting on the chassis and rear end housing Toyota tell me that there no recall on the 4 runner or Tundra but sequoia is recalled there must be a complaint filed some where we cannot wait for somebody to die as a result the rear end falling out or front end break away you must check into that just check online for all the complaints.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

May 032013

4Runner 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4 runner. The contact stated that the dashboard became cracked from the driver's side to the passenger's side area. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 78,000.

- Howey In The Hills , FL, USA

Jun 162011

A small crack started to appear on the dashboard above the instrument panel back on may of 2011. As time passes by the crack has been growing past the top part of the gauges towards the passenger side. New cracks have also appeared around the air vents, above the radio and the passenger air bag area. I have tinted windows and always use a sun visor when vehicle is parked. I believe this is caused by the swelling of the high density foam used to manufacture the dashboard.

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

Mar 082013

4Runner 6-cyl

I was pulling into my garage very slowly and when I stepped on the brake, the car accelerated rapidly like it was shot out of a cannon. I went through the back of the garage (sheet rock, 2X4, freezer and other items that were stored in the garage). I was air born and landed about 10 feet from the house with my foot still on the brake. The airbags did not deploy and I hit my face on the steering wheel, injuring my nose and required 7 stitches in my lip. I could've been killed but god was on my side.

- Windsor, CT, USA

Aug 082012

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated numerous cracks were found along the dash board. The contact mentioned that the passenger side air bag was expose which could cause it to deploy without any impacts. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 90,221.

- Moca, PR, USA

Aug 092012

My wife reported a thin crack in the dash assembly on our 4runner. The car is kept in a garage and she uses a sun visor when parked at work. Although it is a 2005 limited 4 wheel drive model, it only has 39,000 miles on it. There are cracks on the drivers side dash corner and three in different areas of the dashboard. No accidents and no children banging on the dash. Noticed online this is a common complaint. Nice if Toyota assisted in a very expensive repair.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA