CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2.0

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments

Mar 252016

Camry Hybrid

The Toyota warranty enhancement propgram (ZE1) is a sham. My 2007 Camry hybrid has no brakes, no skid control, and goes on and off without warning. I took my car to peruzzi Toyota in hatfield pa while it was "under extended warranty" and they failed to diagnose the problem, because the warning lights go on and off. I showed picture of the lights on, and followed totyoa recommended procedures on the ZE1 issue. I took it back later to same dealer and the lights stayed on, and they said yes it is part of the ZE1 warranty but now it is past the time limit. This is a known issue, Toyota is shirking their responsibilities but not issuing a recall. The car is defective, dangerous, and at $1500 plus in need of repairs. The problem can happen stationary, moving or failing to stop!

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Nov 132015

Camry Hybrid

First of all it started making loud squeeling noise when I would reverse use the breaks..... then the other day as I was driving like normal all day and I came to a merge lane to turn onto the main street turning to the right I was behind a cop so he went then I went as soon as I started making the turn all the lights turned on the break went hard and the steering wheel was hard to move so I had to swearve and pull over till the vehicle finally came to a stop I put it in park then turned it off and on and the warning lights turned off and after a few mins drove like normal. Then this happend again yesterday to my son here's his story: When I was driving home from work I was coming to a four way stop them all of a sudden all the lights came on the dash board the breaks got hard and the steering wheel too and I had to swerve to not hit the green truck in front of me then it barley made it home. As of this morning I tried starting it reversing it and it won't move all the lights are still on the vcs check system is on and it won't turn off or move. Please help!

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Mar 102015

Camry Hybrid

While driving on freeway car lost some braking power and slight pulsing could be felt when pressing on brakes. At the same time the dash lights all lit up; emergency brake light, ABS light, warning lights, and screen said check vsc system. Prior to system failing emergency brake light would randomly turn on... very scary when driving 65 mph. Also at slower speeds, it is difficult to apply adequate pressure on the brake pedal to stop normally.

- Burbank, CA, USA

May 232014

Camry Hybrid

I backed out of driveway, put car into drive and steering became extremely hard to control.

- Fenton, MO, USA

May 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While braking on a slight incline my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid's power brakes and steering malfunctioned making the vehicle hard to steer and stop. It felt as if both the power brakes and steering went out simultaneously and the car seemed to roll, or sway, left and right. At the same time a "check vsc system" warning appeared on my dash along with the red brake indicator light, red service indicator light (triangle with exclamation point), amber brake system warning light and the amber ABS warning light. If I had been traveling at a higher rate of speed, in heavy traffic or had I been approaching a crowded crosswalk or intersection this event could have been disastrous. After pulling over and visually inspecting my brake fluid level and engine compartment I used my cell phone to check online and found others with similar problems (which led me here to file a complaint/report). After waiting on the side of the road for about a half hour the warning message and lights went out so I slowly drove to the dealer 5 miles away. The dealer informed me that the ABS actuator needed to be replaced at a cost of $3607.88 (plus tax on the $3000 part). My southern California Toyota csr proclaims to have never heard of this issue -- even though my web searching has turned up lots of discussion and articles (I.e. L.a. times report, cbs, nbc, ap, Consumer Affairs plus the NHTSA announcement of the opening of their investigation at the end of January 2014).

- Coto De Caza, CA, USA

Jan 252014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on street that had several potholes in both lanes. Lanes were blocked by barrels because of the roadwork being done. There were too many potholes to Dodge and none seemed significantly bigger than the rest. Since I was unable to swerve, because of traffic going the other way in the lane beside me, I hit a series of potholes. After the last one, which seemed a little bigger than the others, I heard a beep and the display read, "check vsc, " which I know from the last time this happened means "vehicle stability control." The parking brake light seemed to come on at that time. I could not get the car to roll any but instead had to hit the accelerator to move at all. The brake was not as powerful, so I had to be sure to brake in plenty of time. The steering seemed more restricted also, and there was a high-pitched buzzing that continued all the time unless the car was off with all doors shut. I live close by, so I was able to get my car back home but did not think it was safe to drive it to the dealership. I had aaa tow it a few days later. They told me at the dealership that a part of the anti-lock brake system would have to be replaced. They later found that one of the lines involved in keeping the engine cool was leaking and the water pump had to be replaced.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Apr 132014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On April 12, 2014, as the car was being driven at around 30-35 miles per hour, I was approaching a stop sign and began pressing down on the brakes to come to a stop. As I pressed on the brakes, they seemed not to work. I had to keep pushing down on the brakes with force to finally get try to get the car to stop, at which point the brake lights sensor, the ABS sensor, and the vsc sensors all lit up on the dashboard. As I was trying to get the car to stop, the car began swerving and I couldn't get immediate control of the car. The car felt as though it was sliding, the stability of the car was compromised. I honestly thought I was going to crash. On April 17th, 2014, in a separate incident, as I was pulling into a parking lot, I began to slow down, only to apply my brakes and they appeared to not work. Once again I had to really push down on the brakes for them to finally work. Again, all of the lights lit up on the dashboard (brakes, ABS, vsc). It was also difficult to control the car and again, I felt as though I was going to crash.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Aug 152013

Camry Hybrid

After starting the vehicle and putting it in drive, I take my foot off the brake and the car lurches forward several yards, a bunch of warning lights flash on and the "check vsc system" message comes up (only on this last time). The brakes do not respond and steering is very difficult. Then after a few seconds, all the warning lights go off and everything is fine. This has happened 4 times. I'm grateful it's only occurred in parking lots but after reading about this happening to others, I'm very afraid this will happen at higher speeds. The dealership can't replicate my experience so they say everything is fine. When I ask about actuator issues that others have had, they deny any knowledge of a problem.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 072014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,516.

- Tampa , FL, USA

Jan 022014

Camry Hybrid

Driving car through town when ABS, red triangle. Vsc lights lite up dashboard. Lost steering and braking ability. Coasted to stop in local shopping center parking lot. Thank god I was there and not on interstate or highway. Took to dealer and they told me braking actuator failed and repair would be $3200. Not covered by 10 year/100K hybrid warranty although braking system specific for hybrids. Choices are: Trade in car to dealer and let them fix it, drive it around until I kill someone or myself(not happening) or play the lottery tonight and maybe I can fix car tomorrow (also not happening) or swipe the plastic and end up paying over 4K for the repair......very disappointing for a Toyota to cost this much in repairs with so little mileage. Will never buy another Toyota.

- Lady Lake , FL, USA

Sep 292013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Camry hybrid. The contact stated that when attempting to turn the vehicle in either direction, the vehicle would veer in the opposite direction. The vehicle stability control warning lamp initially illuminated followed by all of the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminating. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the stability control module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Sep 152012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Power steering light (P/S) light comes on and lose of power steering will last until the car is shut off and you wait for awhile and sometimes when restarted it will be okay. (sometimes not okay) I have to drive it home using all the muscling I can muster to turn corners. Periodic instances have become more frequent. When I start the car the power steering light comes on and it is hard to turn the steering wheel. Sometimes when I shut the car off and wait awhile it will be okay to drive. Other times it has stayed on throughout the trip.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Aug 082012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

'check vsc system' along with brake light warning, ABS warning, and pretty much every other warning light possible came on my 2007 Camry hybrid around June of 2012. I hear pulsating under the hood constantly & when I turn on my car while in park with my foot on brake my car will begin to roll backwards by itself, I attempt to pump the breaks but it never works. I have to wait about 5-10 sec like there is a delay with my brake system when I first turn on my car. Once the brakes finally kick in my car will either jolt in very drastic way like I slammed on my brakes even though my foot has been on the brakes the whole time or it will throttle back on its own like I'm pushing on the gas. I will never park on a hill in fear of my car just taking off on its own with no brakes to stop it. I have to literally turn on my car and wait for my breaks to kick in before I can reverse. It is very scary! it has happened to me once as well when I was driving and I coming to a stop, my brakes just went out and kicked back in on its own. I brought my car to a Toyota dealership to have them check it out. They brought back a quote of $5,900! instead of trying one thing at a time they just wanted to replace everything at once. My car was right at the 5 year warranty mark but because I bought my car in guam they couldn't tell if my car was still under warranty and I would have to pay out of pocket. 2007 only 45000 miles with a 6 thousand dollar repair! that is insane let alone it is a hybrid feature & a safety issue! to me this should be covered under warranty no matter what! look online you can see hundreds of people complaining about this exact issue! people have even made websites for it! I'm very disappointed in Toyota. I'm stuck with this car that I cant afford to fix! so I drive every day in what seems to me like a death trap! it's just not right.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Mar 092012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My '07 Camry hybrid(ch) has started to experience brake failure while driving. The first documented incident: 03/09/12. W/O warning, the ch will shut down and the "check vsc" light appears on the dash. All of the dash lights light up as well. When this happened, there were no brakes, no warning, etc. When I put the car in "park", turned off the vehicle and restarted it, I was able to resume driving. I took it to dealer to have the car diagnosed. The diagnosis: Nothing wrong with the car, brakes, etc(inv.#227594). Over the past 9 months, it has occurred a few more times, usually when the vehicle is pulling out of the garage. When it happens, I turn off the vehicle, restart and go on. On 10/30/12 while my wife was driving 35mph, the car shut down, the "check vsc" light came on and the brakes completely failed. She caught a left turn signal and coasted into a parking lot. Obviously this was horrifying for her and our kids. I called aaa and had the car towed to Toyota. My service advisor(sa) told me they have begun to see this happening a lot and he predicted the ABS brake actuator (ba) failed. I told him about the incident in March, which he acknowledged knowing of. 2 hours later he called to confirm that it was the ba. We spoke about it being a defective part, he agreed and would call and speak to Toyota national(tn)to see if they could help out with the $2200 repair. The next day he told me that tn wouldn't help, and neither would the dealership. My online research discovered many ch have had this problem. I discussed with the sa that if the part is defective and they are seeing more and more of this, what guarantee is there a new ba wouldn't react the same way. He couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't. I declined to have the repair done, aaa towed vehicle to my home. The sa seemed certain that a recall was coming. The car is garaged, I have the repair est/document. Updated 07/30/13

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 242012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Last 2 months I had call Toyota to head quarter to report my car lost power, can't control break or steering wheel.. driving on the road with 40-45mph all the sudden the car had lost control steering and break and all the lights inside the panel blinking.... finally I can break my car (very hard). I put the gear back to park and turn of the power button when I try to turn it back on it still not come up all the lights blinking.. (several times) I quit.. pop up the hood and check forward make sure nothing come loose or... I come back to the car and turn engine on, it working again.... I drive home.. Toyota customer service offer me to going to close Toyota dealer to have it check out, but I do not have times until last couple days it happen again.. I so concern about life driving this car now, I went to Toyota dealer close to me sport city Toyota, where I use to have it tune up. They check out my car and notify to me that my 12V battery had going bad drop to 7V (which they had notify for me on 2010) but I did not replace it. It did not sound right to me if the battery go bad for 2 years ago, but I still can drive my car to work and do things for 2 years with out any problems until now it had lost power for 2 times for the last 2 months. I drive my car home, removed the 12V battery out check with the meter 12V show up... I need help with you people to see what to do next or the investigate to see this car had malfunction or some thins else..... hope to hear from you. Thank you.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jul 042012

Camry Hybrid

While driving my car drove over a pot hole moments later the power steering went out and I was not able to control the car and nearly ran into a medium in the middle of street. I was stuck in the middle of the road. The "check hybrid system" warning came on screen, along with P/S, brake, ABS. I was not able to put the car in drive. Tow truck came. The tow driver was able to release the car into drive position however the wheels were not turning. When we got to the dealership he had to force the steering wheels to move the car. Dealership says a "fuse" went out. They determined that the fuse going out was not as a result of the pot hole and they are not sure what the issue is. The service department has had my car for 12 days and was not able to recreate "the fuse" to go out.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Jul 102010

Camry Hybrid

Creaking/crunching sound in steering column when turning or accelerating. Took the vehicle to dealer and they said they "could not duplicate". issue is getting worse is very loud.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Feb 082010

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph and attempting a left turn, the steering wheel began to jerk to the left. The contact stated that the failure felt as if something was stuck in the steering wheel. Prior to the steering issue, the steering was repaired under an unknown manufacturer's steering recall. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer and the dealer re-calibrated the steering. The repair did not remedy the failure. The contact stated that the vehicle did not exhibit any failures prior to the recall repair. The contact was concerned with the potential of a crash with the steering wheel jerking abnormally. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Mar 272010

Camry Hybrid

Arrived at Toyota dealership to pick up my 2007 Camry hybrid after servicing and work on floor mat and "electronic steering assembly" recalls. To this point I had no problem with the car whatsoever, ever. Dealer told me it was unable to begin work on the steering assembly recall because the part had not arrived from Toyota yet, but the car was safe to drive until the part arrived. When I started the car, the steering wheel moved 100 degrees right, then left, on its own. Then I was unable to turn the wheel more than 1-2 inches in either direction. I repeatedly protested to the service reps on duty that there was a steering problem with the car. Each service rep denied any problem, and was unwilling even to walk 60 feet to check the car. First service rep told me the car was "correcting" as it was supposed to do in backing out of a parking space. Second service rep told me there was absolutely no problem, that the car was perfectly safe to drive, and that I "must not be used to driving with fully inflated tires." They urged me to drive the car off the lot and into the Sierra (where they knew I was heading that day), but I refused. Ultimately I escalated my complaint to the dealership's customer relations mgr. Who consulted with a mechanic. And agreed there was a problem with the steering. The dealership kept the car several days until a new "rack"/electronic steering assembly arrived from Toyota and was installed. They informed me the part replaced was the same part which was the subject of the "steering recall." The car now drives much as before, with the steering a bit stiffer. Although Toyota has replaced the part, I am very unhappy with the initial reaction of service personnel, their insistence that there was no problem with the steering and that the car was completely safe to drive.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA