2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments

Jan 292014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My brakes failed the first time on 1/29/14 on my way to work. Luckily, I wasn't going too fast, which allowed me to safely pull over onto one of the side streets. My car displayed the error message: "check vsc system." I called aaa, and one of their tow truck drivers suggested that rather than taking my car to the dealership, I use a different place (which he claimed was aaa approved; it wasn't). Nearly $500 later ($472.94 to be exact), my car seemed fine for about a month. Then on 2/26/14, this time while driving on the interstate, my brakes failed again. I got the same message as before: "check vsc system." This time, I asked to be towed to the dealership. Supposedly, nobody at the dealership was aware of a recall for this systematic problem. However, I have since found out that 59 other complaints have been reported for this very issue. That's only through January; I can imagine how many other times this happened that were not reported. I ate the cost (this time upwards of $3,800) to have the entire vehicle suspension control (vsc) unit completely replaced. This morning, 4/21/14, I turned on my car & was greeted with that old familiar message: "check vsc system." I'm afraid to try driving my car to work in this condition, and meanwhile I've sunk over $4,000 into "repairs" that do not seem to last. I always thought Toyota were such good, reliable cars. However, I'm not sure if I would buy another one at this rate. My car has less than 100K miles and I'm extremely disappointed with this headache. Does someone have to die before Toyota actually steps up & issues a recall??

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 212013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Flat tire being fixed - found all four struts leaking; car maintained by dealer.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Dec 302011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have had to replace the tires approx every 20,000 miles. Type and make of tire do not seem to make a difference. I have rotated and aligned it every 5K miles. Tires get worn on the inside very quickly, no adjustment by the alignment shops seem to make any difference.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Mar 042013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I took my vehicle into the shop to have an alignment done on the vehicle. Turns out all 4 struts are leaking. I have spoken to several mechanics the like of Goodyear, american tire company, and even the Toyota dealer and they told me themselves that this is a common problem. Speaking to several different Camry owners, 50 percent of them have replaced the struts as well. This should be a recall and I just don't think owners are aware of the sizeable problem regarding the struts. If mechanics themselves are telling me this is a regular problem, why isn't Toyota.

- Montclair, CA, USA

Dec 102012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Went to have my tires rotated and found that all 4 of the struts on the car are leaking. Since this car is only 4 years old and 56K in miles these struts should not be leaking. This is a manufacture defect but Toyota does not replace/repair these except at full cost.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA