2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments

Jun 012015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving 30 mph, the brakes failed to engage correctly when the brake pedal was depressed. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, a loud chirping noise was heard from the brakes and the ABS and vehicle stability control (vsc) indicator illuminated shortly afterwards. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that failure code: T1391 pertaining to the brake assembly and vsc failed and needed to be repaired. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jun 252016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving approximately 5 mph, the ABS, vsc, and brake warning indicators illuminated. The contact noticed that the brake lights remained illuminated on the rear of the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the skid control computer failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made of the failure, and a case was opened and sent to the manufacturer's legal division. The approximate failure mileage was 132,138.

- Concord, CA, USA

Aug 172016

Camry Hybrid

My 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid ecb has failed which causes braking issues and is a safety concern. There have been others reporting this to the NHTSA, but no action taken. Please force a recall as the whole braking system is at risk.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Dec 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I started the car and everything seemed normal. I started accelerating down the street and the dashboard lights up with all kinds of warning lights. Mileage was between 69000-69450. The traction control, brake, master warning light, ABS and the center display said "check vsc system". I continued to coast until a nearby stop sign and when applying pressure to brake, to my horror the brakes had an almost complete failure. I immediately went home, less than a mile away and the brakes continued to malfunction the whole way. I was able to stop but only with severe pressure to the brake peddle which only produced slight braking. There was no accident. Coming back to the car the next day the warning dash lights were off and vehicle was working normal again. However, this also happened the following day halfway through a short trip across town. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a recall part, the brake fluid reservoir. They checked the computer for codes and these codes did not show up in the code history despite it being 2 days before. The problem has been intermittent and did not happen the day I took it in to the dealership. I explained to them the problems, sent them pictures of the dash lights I took from my phone, and printed out and gave them articles such as this: but because they were not able to duplicate the problem they assured me the vehicle was working properly. They did fix the brake reservoir and I picked the car up today. Only time will tell if the safety of the vehicle remains. Thanks for listening. Updated 3/17/16

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The warning panel indicated "check vsc system, " along with a loud beeping noise. My brakes went out completely and as I pumped the brakes the went down to the floor. The car slowed but did not come toa complete stop. In order to avoid hitting an 18 wheeler in front of me, I had to pull over to the side and grazed my car against the metal part of a railing. When I brought it to Toyota, they said it was a brake actuator and quoted me $3500 to fix the problem.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Dec 022014

Camry Hybrid

I have 2 complaints. 1) I was driving in local traffic when 5 warning lights appeared: Master warning light, brake warning light, electronically controlled brake warning, ABS, slip indicator. I was surprised but my brakes continued to work on the drive home & to the dealership the next day. The lights never went off (some other owners have reported the lights go on & off). I do not have cold weather conditions (50S in Dec). The dealership investigated & found it was consistent with the problem covered by the warranty enhancement program (pol14-04 or NHTSA 14001) for the brake actuator assembly & skid control ECU/brake pedal stroke sensor, & also an open recall on my car for a separate item with my brakes. My car symptoms were: When stopped at a light, the car would roll forward by inches unless I had my foot firmly depressed (knee locked); noises which sounded like air moving through tubing while braking; noises that sounded like a "pump" activating after my car had been turned off (up to 15 minutes). 2) Toyota has an open extended warranty (csc 10046281-9238) on the sun visor assembly & sun visor bracket including the 2009 Camry hybrid. My car has had this same problem for ~4 years: The driver's side sun visor will not fully go up & remain there. Most of the time it rests halfway down but from time to time it will come down with no warning. This blocks the driver's field of vision. What is frustrating is that I spoke to both the dealership & the Toyota customer service center who both agree my problem sounds exactly like the problem described in this extended warranty. However, the part number for my car (74320-33C11-B0) is not listed among the accepted parts number, and my VIN doesn't match the listed vins. I hope corporate Toyota will look into this and extend me the courtesy of repairing my sun visor! (dealer cost ~$250).

- Pearland, TX, USA

Nov 072013

Camry Hybrid

Vsc system warning light comes on, and the brakes become very "soft", nearly failing. This only happens when temperatures reach 50 degrees or below, and is quite common when it's around freezing or below.

- Prestonsburg, KY, USA

Jan 152014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While pulling into parking lot the warning lite & display said vsc with two brake related symbols turned on & brakes lost its power assist. Was able drive home while driving slowly giving a lot of room to stop, made a appointment with Toyota dealership. Drove down was charged to troubleshoot they found the brake accumulator had internal failure, also was informed for that area of the car is out of warranty, so it would cost $4200 for parts & labor. I don't have that kind of spare coin sitting around. So I brought it home & parked it, I hope we can drive Toyota to make a recall. Brake hydraulic parts should last 100,000 miles.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Jun 252012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started vehicle in parking lot. Warning lights indicated vsc (vehicle stability control) problem, along with ABS problem. Put vehicle in reverse, slowly moved backwards. Brakes did not engage normally, only if the pedal was fully depressed. Took vehicle (slowly) to a nearby Toyota dealer. Part that failed is the stroke sensor, which controls the operation of the brakes. Had this failed at freeway speeds I am unsure that I could have safely stopped the vehicle or avoided a collision. This sensor is not covered under the powertrain warranty but I believe it should be as its failure is a serious safety issue. This part (according to the dealer) did not fail due to abuse, neglect or lack of maintenance.

- Fremont, CA, USA