2.1

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments

Oct 282016

Camry Hybrid

The water pump is making a terrible noise, and will fail soon. Toyota recalled 2.7 million vehicles for water pump problems but they say mine is not recalled. I think it should be. It is making a terrible noise.

- Atlantic Beach, FL, USA

Mar 312016

Camry Hybrid

Excess oil consumption (3+ quarts at 2000 miles use). Ongoing issue...auto technician indicated it was due to Toyota recommended oil viscosity too thin allowing rings on pistons to seize; thereby allowing excess oil to bypass and burn off.

- Armada, MI, USA

Aug 092016

Camry Hybrid

I truly loved my hybrid Camry until June of 2015 when my oil light came on and my oil was low shortly after having my oil changed. I contacted my mechanic and he researched the problem and found a bulletin regarding problems with oil consumption. I began to have to check my oil once a week and had to add 1-2 quarts per week. In late 2015, Toyota sent out a notice regarding the oil consumption problem and offered oil consumption testing. I had my car tested and of course, my car was consuming oil. I was notified on 1-13-16 that my car was consuming oil and that I would be put on a waiting list for repairs. I continued to check and add oil to my car. I have now been told that parts are projected to be available in Sept. 2016. In mid August, my engine light came on and I had to get my car to the closest mechanic as it was running poorly. I had to pull over on a busy highway. The codes showed the engine was misfiring and there problems with catalytic convertor. The mechanic stated that these problems were directly related to the excessive oil consumption and that the car is not operational and suggested we contact Toyota. My husband contacted corporate Toyota and was told that they are not responsible for anything other than replacing the pistons and rings. Both my husband and I commute to work, I am now without my vehicle (which I am still making payments to Toyota), still waiting on parts for repair (Toyota tells me to be patient, really"?"), facing charges to tow my car approx. 40 miles to the Toyota dealership for repair once parts available, and paying approx. $1000 to replace the catalytic convertors before my car will be operational. I am completely disappointed with Toyota for taking no responsibility for these related issues and the amount of time it has taken to address and solve these problems (still waiting). Will not purchase another Toyota vehicle.

- Park Hills, MO, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid

Dealer suspected crack in engine block during routine service. Confirmed by independent mechanic. Origin unknown. Vehicle never involved in accident. Crack extends from main motor mount approximately 12 inches. No explanation. Second owner. Positive carfax.

- Moore, OK, USA

Apr 202013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Water pump failed at 31000 miles and 4 years old. Consumer reports identified a high incident of failed water pumps. This is another example of poor quality parts, which Toyota needs to recall and correct. Toyota needs to back their products.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Mar 132013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Water pump failure 5,000 outside of warranty. Both dealer and Toyota corporate refused to compensate. Owned vehicle 6 months, purchased from a Toyota dealer.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jan 142013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

During routine maintenance, it was found that the water pump on the 2009 Camry hybrid was leaking. This is not normal for a vehicle with 45,000. Other Toyota vehicles have been recalled for defective water pumps. I believe the investigation into defective water pumps needs to be expanded as this is not a normal failure.

- Grafton, MA, USA