CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

8.0

2003 Toyota Matrix transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Matrix:

2003 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Mar 192015

Matrix XR 1.8L

Do not buy a Toyota Matrix!! I have only had the car for 4 years with one previous owner. I work at an automotive garage and have it serviced regularly as well as any other preventative maintenance. The only things we do not fix are trannys and clutches. I started hearing a rattle in my transmission a week ago and did a fluid change but it is getting louder. From what I've been hearing this is nothing new and any day now I will be carless. Shame on Toyota for not doing a recall on this issue. I just can't believe this is happening with less than 120k on the vehicle. I am not about to spend 3k on a tranny only to have that one fail too. I will never get another Toyota again. GYP!

- , Gypsum, CO, USA

Sep 012009

Matrix XR 1.8L

Bought this car used thinking a Toyota would be reliable. Previous owner maintained well. After noise began a quick internet search revealed this common problem. It seems that Toyota will not acknowledge the problem. Several owners describe replacing the transmission several times without a permanent fix. I guess I'm just waiting to be stranded.

- , Holland, MI, USA