CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2005 Toyota Matrix seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Matrix:

2005 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Dec 032014

Matrix

Air bag panel light has been coming on and off. The model year is 2005, but the car was made possibly in 2004. The dealer refused to inspect without charge then telling me that recall is for not this model year. The brake, when the ABS is on in snow conditions, car take too long to stop, keeps kidding. Also engine revs without driver input when stopped or idling. Toyota dealer denied, to be their problem.

- Prospects Heights , IL, USA

Oct 012014

Matrix

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V655000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Juana Diaz, PR, USA

Jan 072015

Matrix

TL-the contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V350000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Djr

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Matrix 4-cyl

2005 Toyota Matrix safety recall front passenger airbag inflator malfunction. Cw the consumer was informed, the part was not available. The dealer disabled the air bag and placed a do not remove sign in the passenger seat. The consumer stated the dealer, did not get her permission, to disable the air bag. She was under the impression, the recall was going to be performed.

- Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA

Jan 062014

Matrix 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla matrix. While driving 30 mph, the air bag warning indicator illuminated on and off. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 03/04/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was not included in the airbag recall. Updated 10/15/2015

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Nov 042014

Matrix 4-cyl

I received a recall notice from Toyota stating that I need to have a safety recall remedy performed immediately. The issue is related to the possibility of the front passenger air bag malfunctioning. I called the Toyota dealership close to me to schedule the repair. I called soon after receiving the letter. I was told by the dealership that they are waiting on the part to come in and they will call me when it becomes available. I have been waiting at least 3-weeks. This is a problem considering Toyota said this needs to be fixed immediately. I have not had an accident due to this problem but just filled in the date above since I had to in order to submit this.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Apr 162008

Matrix

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that the air bag warning illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer the for diagnostic testing. The air bag sensor was disabled, but light continued to illuminate. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Fair Oaks , CA, USA

Sep 152014

Matrix 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. While driving at an unknown speed, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained whiplash and the passenger sustained head injuries from hitting the windshield and whiplash, but no medical attention was required. The air bags were inspected by an independent mechanic who deemed the vehicle fit to drive. The air bag lights intermittently illuminated for both the passenger and driver side air bags. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,200. Updated 01/12/15 updated 6/3/2015

- Quincy, MA, USA

Aug 082013

Matrix 4-cyl

Air bag light comes on/off at different times. I called Toyota 1-800-331-4331 customer service on 8/8/13. Was told my air bag warranty was 5 yrs 60,000 miles. I then had 80,000 miles on the car. I now have 120,000 air bag light still comes on. I called my local Toyota dealer they said bring in would cost me 85 dollars to be diagnosed. I feel I shouldn't have to pay for the air bag I cannot control anything about it-there should be no 5 yr 60,000 miles warranty on something I cannot change. Also my clock if barely viewable on my dash. I refuse to pay. I was told no other complaints about this issue have been reported. But I see by this site that it has been reported numerous times.

- Owego, NY, USA

Sep 012014

Matrix 4-cyl

The airbag light comes on soon after starting and driving. It appears to come on when the clock quits working also.

- Greenwood, AR, USA

Sep 182014

Matrix 4-cyl

I was driving at highway speed and my air bag light came on. It stay on constantly.

- Mojave, CA, USA

Jun 152013

Matrix

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the SRS light illuminated. The problem recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The diagnosis was that the clock spring was cracked. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Prospect Hills, NC, USA

Jul 032014

Matrix 4-cyl

Air bag (SRS) started going on and off intermittently, then clock went on and off intermittently. Now clock rarely comes on. The ignition must be turned on and off several times to get the air bag light to go off. The vehicle was taken to a Toyota carmax dealer in laurel, md. The rep said there was probably something under the seat, and found an empty water bottle. When the car was turned on, the light was gone, and he pronounced the car fixed. Two days later it came on again and has continued to come on and off randomly. The item under the seat story is bogus and only works because the ignition is turned on and off, not because items are under the seat. This is an obvious safety issue that needs to be fixed by Toyota. I am now reading many many other people have the same problem and Toyota will not recognize the issue.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Aug 012010

Matrix 4-cyl

Driver-side air bag warning indicator is intermittent sometimes on, sometimes off. This seemed to start after the 3-yr warranty expired. Back then, I mentioned it to a dealer while in for a separate recall repair and the dealer suggested maybe I had stuff under or on the passenger side chair which could trigger the indicator. I never paid for them to check the car. Indicator goes on/off regardless of passenger/objects on the seat. Both front seats do not have stuff beneath them. More recently, clock illumination fades in and out, mostly out. This seemed to start no more than 3 yrs ago. Car has still has original airbags and clock. I'm afraid that my air bags won't deploy during an accident. I'm angry that my car wasn't included in the recent recalls.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jan 132014

Matrix 4-cyl

The Matrix began having various electrical problems, including engine warning lights turning off and on, airbag warnings, clock and headlights/brakelights turning off and on. We have brought it in to several mechanics for checks and various repairs, to no avail. Most recently, a dealer shop diagnosed that the ECM is likely failing, and in looking at the records from another dealer shop noticed that the ECM was on back order in 2011 to install a new one after a recall, but that a new one was never installed. However, my service records show that the first dealer shop told me (fraudulently?) that it was in fact installed. The car may not be safe to drive, but I have not been successful to this point in getting it repaired. The second shop informed me that the first dealer shop is responsible.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 012014

Matrix

My vehicle is a 2005 Toyota Matrix xr. It has never been involved in a collision or impact in any way. At approx. 37000 miles, the SRS warning light activate and was diagnosed as a faulty spiral cable/clockspring. The spiral cable was replaced which did eliminate the SRS warning light. I now have 60500 miles on this vehicle and again the SRS light has activated, and has again been diagnosed with a faulty spiral cable, the repair cost has now been estimated by my local Toyota dealer as $440.71, and they have confirmed that the SRS system will not function until the repair is made. I now have my 2 sons, new drivers, that use this car. I fear that even if I get this problem fixed, again, that it will again fail at some point while in use and put them at risk. I have owned many vehicles that have had SRS systems, but this is the only time I've ever had a problem, let alone a repeat problem, with a specific component. In my research, it sounds like many other Toyota Matrix and other Toyota models in the same years of production are experiencing spiral cable/clockspring problems. This problem can effect the survivability of the occupants and truly concerns me. Thanks so much for considering my concerns.

- Butler, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Matrix

SRS warning light began to go on and off intermittently. Toyota dealer fixes by installing new clock assembly. Total cost $465. This assembly is an important part of the airbag system and is failing at a very high rate in these cars. I believe it is defective and should be part of a recall. Supposedly if the light is on the airbag is not functional.

- Grottoes, VA, USA

Mar 272014

Matrix 4-cyl

The air bag warning light remains on while the car is on. I was told the air bag would not function properly while the warning light is on. The Toyota dealer said the air bag wiring is shorting in the clock mechanism and clock parts need to be replaced for the air bag to work. Why do I need to fix the clock for this air bag to work?

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Dec 012012

Matrix 4-cyl

Today Toyota announced a recall for various models due to wearing of a spiral cable assembly in the steering wheel that connects to the driver's airbag module. For the Matrix, the years are limited to 2009-10. I have a 2005 Matrix, and a couple of years ago I had to spend hundreds of dollars to replace the spiral cable assembly due to wearing, so my complaint is that today's recall should be expanded to additional years.

- La Canada Flintridge, CA, USA

Mar 242014

Matrix

SRS airbag light comes on and off intermittently. Clock also goes in and out. Was told the clock and the SRS system are linked, and that when the light is on the airbag may not deploy. From doing research this is a very common problem in this car, and it is dangerous. Toyota couldn't diagnose problem, suggested replacing clock assembly.

- Melbourne, FL, USA