2004 Toyota Prius electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Prius:

2004 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Nov 072006

Prius 4-cyl

Touch screen on 2004 Toyota Prius is defective and fails to work which leaves me with no heat at times and inability to see if my battery is operating properly, this is an ongoing Toyota problem with complaints all over the web by Prius owners.

- Shelburne Falls, MA, USA

Sep 072006

Prius 4-cyl

My 2004 Toyota Prius electrical display (touch screen) has 'shorted out' with a loud ticking noise through the speakers. It has been in the springfield, va Toyota shop twice, and it is continuing to happen. The screen goes dark, and then there is no access to the defroster, gps, etc. They all become non-functional.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Sep 072006

Prius 4-cyl

2004 Toyota Prius electrical problems. I have been experiencing severe electrical problems with my 2004 Toyota Prius and they have gotten more severe after the Toyota dealer uploaded new code that was supposed to fix a recall. Problems include loss of display, loss of control of climate system, radio turns itself off, and occasionally there is loss of power at low speeds which is sometimes fixed by a reboot of the car. After the last loss of power, the car then responded by the gas engine revving very high and not responding to the gas pedal - yet the car was not traveling any faster.

- Flourtown, PA, USA

Sep 022006

Prius 4-cyl

I turned left into driveway of a home- driveway has an incline. I turned off power and two children exited car. One passenger returned within five min and sat in front. I placed foot on brake. Brake felt "locked" with no give. I pressed power button with foot on brake, and placed gear in reverse. I let foot off brake to roll slowly out of driveway. When I attempted to brake to slow exit, my foot went all the way to floor--no power. I notice gear was neutral. Power would not turn off. Car was rolling closer toward a busy four lane street. I noticed the power button light color was red, and the following yellow warning indicators were lit: Brake system warning light, malfunction indicator lamp, anti-lock brake system warning light, slip indicator light. I depressed the emergency brake to stop. I told my 14 Y/O passenger to exit the car and when she did the master warning light came on while the above lights remained lit. The brake continued to depress to the floor. I again attempted to turn off the power without success. I exited the vehicle with my smart entry key in hand and as expected loud buzzing noise came on. I then contacted Toyota roadside assistance. The reference number is 269-568-6678. I called back later to change the reference number to 269-492-2066. I had asked for police assistance for traffic control, but the police did not show. On 9/6 a.M., jim at metro Toyota service, kalamazoo, mi called & I described the above to him. At 1530 on 9/6/06, I described my experience to marvin at Toyota customer relation. The case number he provided was 200609051137. This is the second like incident with this vehicle. I did not report the first incident to the NHTSA which occurred a few months after I took possession of the then new 2004 Toyota Prius. No reason was found for the first incident, by the same dealership service. The consumer stated the vehicle accelerated on its own. Also, when the consumer applied the brakes, the pedal became soft and went down to the floor. Updated

- Portage, MI, USA

Aug 252006

Prius

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius I purchased used last Feb (06). Starting the car does not immediately bring up the dash display. It remains blank, however I can shift into gear. The power steering is off as well. I restart and restart and eventually the dash will pop on. The car is drivable but all the warning lights are not. Not at once though. The red triangle with the ! in between is always present but sometimes it is joined by the check engine light or the ABS failure light. The Toyota dealership is still trying to figure out what's going on.

- Everett, WA, USA

Apr 032006

Prius

: the contact stated while driving 35mph, the master warning and check engine light illuminated followed by the vehicle operating at a reduced speed. The vehicle continued operation for about a mile before eventually stalling. The vehicle would not restart, but remained in electric mode. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it is currently awaiting inspection. Contact requested to delete the complaint from the system because it was a mistake.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 222006

Prius 4-cyl

: the contact stated on December 6 2005, a recall remedy was performed for the engine. In January, all the warning lights in the vehicle illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a service dealer and the problem with the warning lights was fixed. However, the warning lights defect recurred in both February and March. The dealer was consulted after the second recurrence and was unable to determine the cause of the problem. Updated 3/29/2006 - the ABS light illuminated in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for them to fix the problem. Each time the vehicle was returned to the consumer the problem recurred.

- Naranjito, PR, USA

Feb 272006

Prius 4-cyl

: the contact stated when the weather is 10 degrees and below, the instrument panel did not illuminate or provide readings. This is especially difficult in driving conditions because the speed of the vehicle can not be read. The vehicle displayed the same problem several months ago, again in frigid weather of 10 and below. The dealer was notified and replaced the navigation system. After repairs were made, the weather was warmer and the contact was not able to confirm that the problem still existed. The manufacturer was contacted and replied this was a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Nov 192005

Prius 4-cyl

On three occasions my 2004 Prius has started without pushing the "start" button. On 11/19/05 two people had gotten into the back seat and closed the doors. I was standing behind the car. It was at night. As I slammed the hatch back door shut I could see the display panel light up in the dark and hear the car start. When I got in the car I only had to put the car in reverse to pull out. The dealer said this wasn't possible.

- Reston, VA, USA

Oct 212005

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius I was driving on the highway and my gas engine shutdown and all the warning lights on the dash turned on. I had to have my car towed to the nearest dealer for repair. I had asked the manufacture to see if my vehicle had any recall or tsb and they said "no". then if that's the case why am I having the same issue that everyone seems to have with this car? I think Toyota does not know what the problem is and does not know hot to fix it. This is a very serious problem lucky I was able to get T the should safely.

- Auburn, GA, USA

May 052005

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota Prius owned by our Agency has had the engine stall problem 3 separate times.

- Tukwila, WA, USA

Jun 052005

Prius

2004 Toyota Prius developed problems with stalling.** answer required***. the first time the consumer experienced a problem with the vehicle, the dealer determined the battery was not holding a charge. The consumer experienced 2 other incidents with the vehicle.

- Malibu, CA, USA

Sep 022005

Prius 4-cyl

Total breakdown of consumer's wife 2004 Prius on September 2, 2005 in san jose, California. The vehicle suddenly lost power while merging into the interstate. A loss of gas engine power with failure of the internal combustion/engine to start, resulted in only electric motor propulsion and breakdown on the highway as the battery quickly went to single pink bar level within a 1/2 mile. Multiple mil lamps lit up. Began to merge onto the highway from a stop speed of 30 or 40 mph and slowly accelerated into heavy traffic. Had to pull off to the breakdown lane of the highway with all of its debris, etc. The dealer completed the repairs at san jose's capitol Toyota on 9/2/05. The dealer fixed the car. But the consumer contacted a Toyota pries advisor who stated if there was a service bulletin for this characteristic that would prevent the roadway failure then why was it not executed during prior services on 3/9/05, 5/26/05 and 6/09/05. This indicated that the car was reliable after the repairs. The consumer, an accomplished engineer, said Toyota knew about software bugs. A software bug did not impair operation until the right combination of environmental factors was reached. All pries had this potential bug that contaminated the electronic control module (echo).

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 202005

Prius 4-cyl

The car stalled while coming to a stop at a traffic lite. Warnings lights on included: Vsc, engine warning lite. Car restarted and went about 500 ft. Going about 35 mph and stalled again. Coasted to berm, called dealer, who said it was driveable to dealership. Started out on I295, went up to 48 mph and engine stopped. Coasted to side of road and was towed to dealer. Dealer kept car over a wk, said since battery was dead, chip had no info. They found nothing wrong with the car and returned it to me.

- Towanda, PA, USA

Aug 142005

Prius 4-cyl

I own a Toyota Prius purchased in Feb. 2004. On three occasions, the warnings lights have come on while driving and the car rapidly looses all power and cannot be moved. The most recent incident occurred today, 8/14/05. I have not been satisfied that whatever has caused this problem has been corrected, as apparent with today's incident. I have reported these incidents to Toyota and will send their subsequent correspondence. I have owned Toyota vehicles since 1980 and this is unacceptable. With this third incident, I intend to pursue all avenues available to rectify this situation.

- Hope, RI, USA

May 012005

Prius 4-cyl

Starting around may,2005, when vehicle was started with the battery indicator not quite at full capacity, lets say seven 'bars', just putting the car in reverse would begin the gradual decline of charge. If driving up a frwy ramp, the indicator would show the charge had dropped into the 'red' zone. At this time the engine would sound like the rpms were about 4,000, a real revving sound. Slowly, with a steady level drive the battery would recharge and look as if it were normal. There was no stalling of engine but I rarely drive as slow as 65 mph! the whole process, happening at least once a day was very nerve wracking...especially in the mohave desert with many 18-wheelers surrounding the car. The first time it happened I immediately called Toyota of temecula valley. I was told that this was not good and to bring the car in for diagnosis. When I brought it in, a 'technician' looked at the indicator and said it was ok and not worry about it. I had a difficult time believing that and made an appt. With Toyota of el cajon. When their technician used a diagnostic scantool he also said he could not find a problem. I did not believe him or the service $80/hr. Guy and said there was either something wrong with their diagnostic tools and/or something wrong with them to think I would go along with their story. I had no idea how right I was until I read about the defect investigation on your website. My Prius has not stalled (yet) but it has all the problems leading up to it. The dealership claims, on the work receipt they gave me, to have recalculated the hv ECU with the 40D code and the problem seems to be worse. I will have to go back again to the dealership and fight for my right to a speedy repair.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jul 232005

Prius

Toyota 2004 Prius. While driving 20-45 mph vehicle stalled and lost power. The stalling was due to a inverter/converter failure.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Jul 192005

Prius 4-cyl

I was accelerating into a yield situation where I had room to merge from an offramp and the gas motor didn't kick in. The check-engine light flashed, the car vibrated, and it moved only as if the electric motor was going for a few seconds and then, as I was flooring it, the car jarted out into the intersection where now there wasn't room and I became involved in an accident

- New York, NY, USA

Jul 182005

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving my 2004 Toyota Prius approximately 35-40 miles per hour on a local street when the "check engine" light and the safety triangle light both illuminated. I noticed that the gas engine stopped running at the time of the failure although the electric motor got me to the dealership where the car is serviced. The dealership called me in a couple of hours to tell me that the car is ready. I was told that they just had to reset the computer software to fix the car. I know that you are researching this problem and wanted to make you aware of my sitiuation. Thank you.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jul 082005

Prius

Fax ltr investigation of the Toyota Prius hybrid electric vehicle model years 2004 & 2005 reports of vehicle stalling at high speeds.

- Washington, DC, USA