2004 Toyota Prius electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Prius:

2004 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

May 252005

Prius 4-cyl

Car was driving normal at 45 mph....engine quit. Would not restart. Car was towed to Toyota dealer.

- Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Nov 232003

Prius 4-cyl

Consumer states while going southbound, he accidentally bump the vehicle out of gear from drive to neutral at about 70 mph. Afterwards consumer put vehicle back in drive. It seemed as though vehicle was dead. Consumer had to stop the vehicle then put back in drive and then merge back onto the highway.

- Sunnyville, CA, USA

May 082005

Prius 4-cyl

Consumer owns two 2004 Toyota Prius and both have shut down while driving. Consumer has taken both vehicles to dealer and had them reprogrammed. Northbrook Toyota reprogrammed cars computer, car is ok for now.

- Norhtbrook, IL, USA

May 042005

Prius 4-cyl

Consumer has two 2004 Toyota Prius and both had engine failures while going between 30 and 40 mph. Incident on May 28, 2005 and May 4, 2005 approximately. Northbrook Toyota reprogrammed vehicle's computer. Consumer states vehicle now performs ok.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Jun 022005

The warning lights came on consumer turned car around to take it to the dealer, and the car just shut off. Dealer did clear everything (the lights), and the car started back up.

- Gettysburg, PA, USA

Feb 242005

MY1994 Toyota Prius suddenly stalled as I was driving. I had to be towed to a dealership. I was told that there was a programming error in one of the computer chips.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Apr 042005

Prius 4-cyl

All of the lights come on and the car stalls in mid-travel.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Nov 232004

Consumer states: When the vehicle was under 3000 miles all the warning lights came on, and while driving down the road the vehicle slowly lost power and was going about 25 mph. After about 20 min vehicle started back, the dealer did diagnostic and reset the system.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 262004

Prius 4-cyl

Was driving my 3 month old '04 Prius on a 2 lane hwy, late night, 50mph. Prius engines suddenly stopped and many warning lights came on. I pulled over, though there was no safe place to do so, set my flashers and began calling for help. Spent the next hour calling police and tow trucks, too busy in a dangerous place to troubleshoot. Did not feel safe in the car due to high speed traffic. Finally towed to dealership and car was admitted in the morning. Dealer kept for 5 days, asking me to take it home, nothing wrong. I insisted that I was not comfortable taking the car home until something was done to fix it. Called Toyota usa hq and reported the problem. They worked with the dealer and eventually got my car back. 1 week later, same thing happened, daytime, with my family aboard. This time, was able to restart and drive to dealership. Reported incident to Toyota usa hq. While car was in shop, Toyota sent me a letter offering to buy the car back from me, due to my lack of confidence in the car. I regretfully accepted. I am very much enthsed by the Prius potential, but these glitches are scary. Toyota buying the car back from me almost felt like a coverup attempt.

- Palo Alto , CA, USA

Dec 012004

Prius 4-cyl

Own 2004 Toyota Prius and on 6 different occasions while driving in the city, the engine has stalled out. The consumer had to stop and wait about 10 minutes and restart the engine and everything would be fine. Took to dealer and they could not diagnose this unless they encountered this as it happened. This is the only problem with the vehicle.

- Northridge, CA, USA

May 162005

Consumer stated: Vehicle quit while driving, the warning lights did come on before it died. While going 30-35 mph and it just died and couldn't restart. The electrical system stayed on. Called tow truck by the time they got there it started. Still had to take it to dealer, and warning lights went out. Dealership reprogrammed the computer.

- Lafatte, LA, USA

Apr 222005

Prius 4-cyl

I was on the 101 freeway heading South when my 2004 Toyota Prius lost power, all warning lights came on; I coasted to the shoulder. It took several tries over a period of about 15 minutes to get the car shut off. I called Toyota and they told me to bring it in if I could get it started, which I finally did.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Feb 272005

Prius 4-cyl

Engine warning light came on while driving approximately 55-60 mph. Gas power quit and consumed all electric power and car stopped. Coasted to the side of the road. Could not get the car to go into any gear -- stuck in park. Had to have it towed to dealer.

- Vienna, VA, USA

May 272005

Driving my 2004 Prius about 25mph on my way home, all of a sudden warning lights on the dashboard lit up. The yellow brake system warning, the malfunction indicator, the master warning and the vsc warning lights were all on. The display had a message that indicated a hybrid system warning. The next day, upon stating the car, the brake system and the vsc warning lights had gone off. All other lights were still on. Did not drive the car until I could contact dealer (it was a holiday weekend). After contacting service dept, they said to drive it into the dealer. While driving, the battery level was in the "magenta" range, about three bars, much lower than normal. It rose to the normal range prior to arriving at the dealer. The repair order states "found ECU calibration off" and "reprogarm ECU to new calibrationid 34705100". the lights are now off and the car seems back to normal. The service person was unable to reassure me that this problem would not happen again, only that it was easily fixed and Toyota would cover it. My car had already had the ECU reprogrammed in 08/04, as per recall 40D.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Feb 152005

Prius 4-cyl

I have had 3 'stalls' of my 2004 Prius which I drive 150 miles a day and it has 48K miles on it. All of the engine stalls have been at low speed (under 20 mph) and have been preceeded by a red warning triangle light and the screen displaying something like 'critical problem'. on one incident I was in heavy traffic and managed to use the electric motor to get me to the side of the highway before the engine/motor stopped with no power. When I turned the power on/off several times the engine would start but there was no power. I did notice that on all three stalls my gas gauge was low (one or two bars) but I have run the car for thirty miles after the last bar started to flash so it's hard to tell if there is a connection. I did report this to the dealer but they had no information on it and the car reset each time after a period of time.

- Ossining, NY, USA

Apr 152004

Prius 4-cyl

Sudden shutdown of 2004 Prius. I was crusing at about 40 mph when the engine unexpectedly shut down and all dashboard warning lights became illuminated. I was able to safely pull to the side of the road. After cycling power button, car started again, but "check engine" light was illuminated. Dealership found code P3191 in diagnostic system, but could not come up with an explanation. I am reporting this now because of recent publicity regarding similar Prius incidents.

- Topanga, CA, USA

May 272005

My 2004 Toyota Prius stalled when I was going approximately 40 mph. I was able to coast to the shoulder, but then the car had to be towed to a dealership for a programming fix before I could drive it again.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

May 102005

Prius 2-cyl

While driving myh Toyota Prius has stalled for no reason 3 times. I've brought it in once after the 2nd time and they said that nothing was wrong.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 102004

Prius 4-cyl

Vehicle stalled twice without warning. Had to be towed to dealer.

- Swarthmore, PA, USA

Feb 112004

Prius 4-cyl

I drove my Toyota Prius from Florida to Colorado. After about 2100 miles the car stalled. I was stuck on the highway for about 2 hours at a temperature of 15 degrees until I got towed to a Toyota dealer. The dealer recharged the battery, which completely discharged while I sat in the stalled car with the heater on, and the problem was gone.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA