2005 Toyota Prius electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

May 112005

Prius

While driving at approximately 68 mph the vehicle began to loose speed. The consumer was able to pull the vehicle off to the side of the road and park. No warning light illuminated indicating there was a problem. The consumer had been driving for about an hour at 68 mph when the vehicle began to lose power. After the vehicle sat for about 1 1/2 minutes the vehicle operated as if nothing had happened. The consumer heard one beep, then the vehicle lost all power. The consumer pressed the accelerator but it did not respond. The service dealer could not find a problem.

- Antioch, CA, USA

May 072005

Prius 4-cyl

Consumer was driving about 45 minutes / 65 mph when vehicle lost power/stalled. All warning lights were on. Consumer was able to restart vehicle after it stalled by letting it sit for a while. Vehicle had a history of accelerating and stalling.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 072005

Prius 4-cyl

Consumer's vehicle stalled while driving on the interstate, and put his life at risk. The car would not restart. Consumer bought an extended warranty from Toyota, and they had no record of that when calling them. Prior to the incident vehicle's consumer computer indicated that the vehicle was low on gas by a flashing green light, and the computer was indicating that the vehicle was getting its power from both the gas and electric engines. The vehicle's computer system did not recognize any commands. Prior incidents the car dieseled at stop lights sometimes for minute and consumer got 28mpg in the city, where the gas engine seemed to be running even on downhill stretches and when stopped.

- Salem, OR, USA

Apr 132005

Prius

I did not have a failure, but I had an experience that I think would be helpful to you and Toyota. My experience was accidently hitting my right knee lightly upward against the lever that is used to put the car in drive, park, referse and battery. I was traveling on the highway and was shifting my weight slightly to get more comfortable after I had been driving several hours. Within a few minutes, looking at the dashboard, I noticed the car was in the "B" mode which I guess is called battery. I shifted back into drive with no problem. However my thinking is that if someone did what I did (in the way of accidently tapping the shift lever with their knee) and did not notice that the car had shifted to battery, after driving for some time (X hours or minutes) the batteries that drive the electric motor/engine would run down to the point where the car would stop running and could not be restarted because the batteries were so run down. Also the engine would not start again because the batteries running the electric motor were not assisting in the drive of the car as designed. I noticed a note on a web site this evening that indicated the car would not run when the batteries were below a 20% charge. If this is correct, it would fit in with my theory. The shift lever needs to be harder to move so that accidental changes such as I experienced would be prevented. If this is too expensive, maybe a cheaper way to fix tghe problem would be for an alarm light or audible signal to go on when the battery propulsion had been going on too long unassisted by the gasoline motor. Maybe I'm all wet, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to let you know my thoughts.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Apr 232005

Prius 4-cyl

Was driving home (approx 35 mph) when master warning light and vehicle stability control system warning light came on. Vehicle would not run on gasoline power and battery quicky ran down so car was not driveable. Vehicle had to be towed to dealership. Dealership advised it was a "computer problem"

- Escondido, CA, USA

May 122005

Prius 4-cyl

Our Prius hybrid car engine suddenly stopped while driving on the interstate. We could not get it started and had to be towed to a Toyota dealer to have our car reprogramed.

- Eureka Springs, AR, USA

Mar 292005

Prius 4-cyl

While driving my 2005 Toyota Prius at about 40 mphin left lane on route 158 in kitty hawk, nc, the accelaratorl quit working, but neither engine quit. Was able to let car go into shopping center lot (this was dangerous situation and my 8 year old grandaughter was in the car). Electirc engine provided the power with out accelerator assistance. Had car towed to elixabeth city Toyota dealer. Mechanic took two days to find a wasy to get accelerator working. He said thatin conjuntion with Toyota corporate engineersover telephone he ran tests and many errors showed up not related to the accelerator. The problems sounded to me like it was in the computer's system. Mechanic was eventually told to shut down all computers and re-boot them one by one. I asked him about the cause and he said none was discovered. Car has not repeasted problem, but I remain concerned. Related this problem to my purcahse dealer (lustine Toyota in woodbridge va) assistant service manager. I was told they could not do anything unlesss the problem occurred again - this is not reassuring. And I aapeared to know more about the problem that they did or was willing to admit. I even gave them a copy of an artilce (the Japan times - 5/16/2005) that I found on the web referred to a wall street journal article about the problem. It said tha ttoyota Corp had sent letters to Prius owners telling them to take thier cars in for a software upgrade computer. No letter wa sever sent to me! and dealer did not react to letter.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 012005

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. He states that while driving every warning light in the vehicle began to flash, then the car died. He turned the vehicle on again and it done the same thing. After this the vehicle would not start. He called Toyota, they sent someone with gas because the add fuel light was flashing, and they put gas in the vehicle. It still would not start. Towed to Toyota dealership, they looked at the car and could not get it to start. Someone kept pressing buttons and got the car to start, then, it started every time. The next time while driving with a full tank of gas it went from three quarters tank to gas down to empty instantly. He immediately pulled into a gas station to get gas and the maintenance light was flashing. He called Toyota back, and they would tow him to the nearest Toyota dealership. Instead he drove the vehicle home. Dealership said they did checked the fuel lines and it should be fine. Toyota denied all problems with the cars, the individual who towed consumer's vehicle told him that they had several people with this same problem. He decided to trade in the vehicle because he did not feel safe. It had several electrical problems such as, high beams came on by themselves, and door locks would not open occasionally. These incidents occurred on May 1, 2005, and he traded the vehicle in on May 16, 2005. It was in the shop three times.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

May 072005

Prius 4-cyl

Car was being driven on multi-lane city arterial in moderate traffic. To try to quickly avoid an obstructing vehicle ahead, driver rapidly depressed accelerator pedal to fullest extent while steering. Car then immediately, and without warning, lost all engine power and rolled to a stop. Two general warning lights on dashboard illuminated. Repeatedly depressing accelerator pedal produced no motion or other result. After engaging emergency flashers, only way to regain engine power was to shut off ignition, which required engaging parking circuit and depressing power on/off button, then after shutdown procedure was complete, again pressing power on/off button and waiting for hybrid system to energize. Warning lights again came on but car now responded to accelerator and driver was able to move to parking lane. This was the third time in the eight months of owning this new car that such a sudden shutdown occurred. After the first two times in late November-early December 2004, car had been taken to dealer for service and was returned to owners reported as fixed by replacing faulty accelerator sensor.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 122005

Prius 4-cyl

While car was going about 25 mph, it went from "drive" to "park". it stopped abruptly. Could not get car back in drive except momentarily. The car's electric system cycled on and off on a 16 to 20 second period. That is, it would be on and in park and then shut off momentarily every 18 seconds. It continuted doing this for about 10 minutes when I stopped monoriting it. I had the car towed to a Toyota dealer. When it was examined about 2 hours after the incident, it worked fine and there was no computer feedback on the problem. They didn't know what happened or what to do. They said to bring it back when the problem happened again. This could be a life threatening glitch if it occured at freeway speeds in traffic. I believe Toyota should put all cars that this has happened to on the sidelines until they find out what the problem is and then come up with a fix. Because of the real possibility of injuries, NHTSA should start an investigation and start pushing Toyota to take this seriously.

- Julian, CA, USA

Mar 262005

Prius

On March 26,2005, I was driving home from temple. Suddenly, my car lose power. All panel lights lighted up. I pushed the gas paddle, but the engine would not respond. I turned off the power then turned back on, but I can only shift to neutral. All panel lights stay on. I use my insurance to call a tow truck to tow my car to wonderie Toyota. The service department told me that they reprogramed the computer. The car works after reprogram and they could not find anything wrong with it. On April 6,2005 in the morning, I turn on the power. All the panel lights stay on and I can't shift. I can only shift to neutral. After about 15 minutes, I got off the car and open the car hood. I can't see anything. I removed my hand which holding the hood so the hood drop hard on to the car. I went back in the car. The car start could run again. I don't know if the hood drop hard on the car has anything to do with it or not. I took my car back to wonderie Toyota, the service representive did not want to take my car in. I told him that I won't take my car back without checking. I read the comments on the receipt after I pick up my car. The mechanic did not know what was wrong with my car. He did not do anyhting.

- San Marino, CA, USA

May 142005

Prius 4-cyl

Dt consumer states while driving his vehicle, it completely stalled in traffic. The check engine light along with a few other lights on the dash illuminated while the vehicle was stalling.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 192005

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving my 2005 Toyota Prius at about 45 mph when the vehicle went dead. The battery charge indicator went to zero, the engine warning light came on, the master warning light came on, the vehicle stability control warning light came on. I pulled to the side of the road. At first the vehicle would not shut off. After several attempts the vehicle shut down. I restarted the vehicle, and with the engine service light on was able to get it first home, then to a Toyota dealer. The dealer said the vehicle needed an "upgrade" to its software and reprogrammed the ECU. ( at no charge to me as the vehicle is still under warranty). If an upgrade was available and required, I feel I should have been notified so that I and my wife were not put at risk.

- Columbus, GA, USA