2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 15)

Sep 012014

Prius 4-cyl

While driving a headlamp will extinguish and I can turn on/off quickly and will come back on. Sometimes this happens every couple miles and can alternate between headlamps and sometimes both fail at the same time. Also if trying to drive on one, the other can fail also requiring a turn on/off reset.

- Waleska, GA, USA

Nov 072014

Prius 4-cyl

The right side headlight goes out multiple times for no apparent reason. I have to turn the lights off- then back on--it will come back on--only till it goes out again.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Apr 022011

Prius 4-cyl

Our neighbor noticed that our right headlight was out. It proved to be intermittent, going on and off at unpredictable intervals but getting worse with time. We had both headlight bulbs and modules replaced, a procedure that required the removal of the front bumper, among other things, and cost $1,212.98 at an independent garage. We suspected that the cost would have been even higher at a Toyota dealership. Now, beginning on or about October 23, 2014, the same problem has recurred, this time involving the left headlight. Given the high cost of repair and the fact that, obviously, the fix is only temporary, we have not had the headlights replaced again but are attempting to avoid driving the vehicle at night or in bad weather. Given the apparent frequency that Prius owners have reported this same problem, my wife and I do not understand why Toyota has not developed a generic fix and issued a recall.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Sep 102014

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent drivers side headlight failure. Light will work for a short time, and go out while driving. This has been a chronic problem with this car. I bought it from a friend and it has been a problem for them, and other Prius owners that I know.

- Grosse Pointe Park, MI, USA

Sep 302014

Prius 4-cyl

For the past 200 miles or so, the left front headlight has begun to turn off after a couple of minutes when switched on. The hid bulb and ECM was replaced, at considerable cost, but has not yet been resolved. I have an appt for Toyota dealership service in a week.

- Kailua, HI, USA

May 142013

Prius 4-cyl

I had an accident in March 2013 which caused front end damage. The car was repaired with the headlights being replaced. Every since the repair the headlights have been going out for no apparant reason. At first just the right headlight, now both lights shut off at the same time and I have to turn them off and back on to get them to emit light. The dealer said it was the headlights themselves but why do both of them go out at the same time and why do they come back on and continue to work. At first this occured maybe once a day but it is occuring frequently. I do not think it is the bulbs becasue they keep shutting off at the same time which suggest it is something else.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Jul 302014

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights on the Prius turn off. When I notice this while driving, I can turn them off and then on again. They only stay on for a few minutes.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jul 012014

Prius 4-cyl

The headlight just turned off. In reading up on this issue, it has become apparent that this is a known issue with hid lights in a Prius. Fortunately it only happened to one headlight and not both.

- Waterford, WI, USA

Jul 132010

Prius

The front headlights will randomly flicker out, usually one at a time but sometimes both at the same time. One can get it back on by toggling the headlight switch on and off, but extremely dangerous when on an interstate at night. A ton of owners are having this same problem, but apparently there is as of yet no recall. You can switch out the expensive bulb, but that also apparently doesn't fix the problem.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 142014

Prius 4-cyl

First passenger side then drivers side headlights failed within a month of each other. Able to relight headlights by turning on and off switch, but then they would go off again. Both replaced by Toyota dealer at over $300 per light! now, the drivers side headlight is off again several months later, still able to switch it on for awhile, but it fails as I am driving.

- San Rafael , CA, USA

Jan 062014

Prius 4-cyl

Multiple failures of hid lights going out. It will switch from one side to another. Sometimes results in both headlights going out. Most of the time a quick flip of the headlight switch will bring them back on. It is completely random. Instances when both lights go out, each time had to make a quick pull over to wait for a moment, as the normal quick flick to get the lights back on fails, thus causing a quick panic to get to a safe place on the side of the road in the complete dark and hope that other vehicles around you can see you and let you over.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Sep 272012

Prius 4-cyl

In mid June 2012, while driving on the freeway I noticed the left side headlight was not on, initially I thought the bulb was bad since I had already had to replace the right one. I had planed to take the car to elmore Toyota of huntington beach, ca to have the bulb replaced but the following day the light was working. After a few days it started happening again. I found that if I turned the lights on and off the headlight would come back on, I have had this problem for over a year now. Today I decided to take the car to the dealer's service department, now they can't seem to tell me what is the true nature of the problem, all they want to do is sell me a new bulb. After doing some research on my own I now understand that this has been an ongoing problem since 2007 and that the NHTSA has investigated this and has decided that this is not a safety issue. I would like to see if the persons responsible for this decision would like to go on a long night drive with me on a mountain road. Right now I want to officially file a complaint about this problem, my 2005 Toyota Prius is unsafe to drive because the headlights are not dependable and there is no telling when they will stop working.

- Westminster, CA, USA

Apr 142014

Prius

Both of my Prius headlights went off, for no apparent reason, while driving down a busy highway. Flicking them off and then back on brought them on again, but this is a dangerous situation. This has happened one more time since then. This could cause a serious accident. Toyota is unable to isolate the problem. The company wants to replace the bulbs, but this doesn't fix the problem, according to many other people who have had this problem. Replacing the bulbs or adjacent parts can cost hundreds of dollars, which is not sustainable. It seems that a recall is in order.

- Newark, DE, USA

May 022012

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent headlight outage - front right side.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Prius 4-cyl

The headlight operation became erratic. Sometimes one would work and sometimes the other one would be the only one to function. Sometimes neither headlight would come on. Repeated operation of the headlight switch eventually would get one or both headlights turned on. The light bulbs were replaced in 2012 and again in 2013. There was little or no change in performance. When I have asked my Toyota dealer's service department about it, they simply said they weren't aware of any problem. I cannot believe that is true. This is a much discussed and not uncommon problem. We are always concerned that the headlights might fail while we were driving. This has not happened yet, but I have no confidence in the headlight reliability.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Apr 252014

Prius 4-cyl

Entering I-25 southbound on dark night and the head lamps went out. Turned the switch off and then on, they came back on and then went right off. Re-tried the switch and they came back on.. failed again about five miles further South on the I-25 highway. Turned them off and back on and they came back on and stayed until I got back home. The bulbs must be good for them to come back on. Possible bad switch or computer chip that controls the automatic circuitry. This was very scary because we had high speed traffic that couldn't see us because we had no lights visible. There was construction in the area which made it all the more tense note:the vehicle make name box above does not pull down.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 012012

Prius 4-cyl

My drivers side headlight flickers then goes out. I was able to get it on again by manually turning the switch on and off. Then it will happen again. I replaced the headlight ($175 for the part alone) in may of 2012. It is now March of 2014 and the same light began doing it again, flickering. I was able to get it to go on by manually switching it on. Now it is out again.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 152012

Prius

I have replaced my headlights 6 times in the past 2 years. The headlights go out with no warning. The first few times I thought it was possibly bad aftermarket bulbs but there is obviously a problem. This is a safety issue since there is no warning as to when they go out.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Dec 202010

Prius

12/20/2010 left head light replaced not working. 8/30/2011 right headlight replaced not working. 10/30/12 left headlight not working. When start car light would turn on flicker then go out, replaced headlight at time (second replacement) worked for several months then went to flicker mode then off when car lights turned on. Left headlight still not working, light goes on when car started but flicks off in 30 seconds. 1/14/2014 right headlight not working, replaced. New bulb placed light works 50% time. No flicker either it will go on or not. Both headlights replaced twice so far. Returning to mechanic again.

- Walford, IA, USA

Jan 172013

Prius 4-cyl

Around 105,000 we started getting intermittent headlight loss. It usually comes back on if we turn the lights off then back on. It only did it on the passenger side for about a year but now it does it on both sides.

- Tolland, CT, USA