2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 14 of 40)

Nov 102009

Prius

Intermittent failure of hid headlight in my 2006 Toyota Prius.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jan 052007

Prius

Intermittent and frequent failure of hid headlights in 2006 Toyota Prius. One light or the other and sometimes both will go out. Turning the light switch from on to off and back on will relight the bulb but at lower brightness. Frequently must do this several times as the bulb may stay on for a few minutes to 1/2 hour. Toyota refuses to acknowledge design / faulty components in hid control / power module.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jul 172008

Prius

There is a class action suit against Toyota due to intermittent headlight failure. Please check this link to see if a recall should be imposed. Thanks www.lemonlawclaims.com/toyota_prius_headlight_failure.htm.

- Kill Devil Hills, NC, USA

Mar 072008

Prius

Intermittent failure of lights. Car had 20,000 miles on it when headlight starting failing intermittently. After about another year the other side started failing intermittently. I and others on yahoo Prius group have the same problem with the headlight going off intermittently. Could cause an accident, as at times they both go off. After turning them off and then back on they burn but you never know if one or both will go off. Toyota knows there is a problem with the headlights on the second generation Prius but has made no attempt to recall or repair the problem. We are all left on our own to solve the problem.

- Littleton, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Prius

Headlights turn of intermittently on both my daughters 2006 & 2007 Toyota Prius. Mostly the right one sometimes both. If you turn the headlights off then back on the headlights come back on for a while then you have to do the same thing again. Also I notice many other priuses that have the same problem. Please look into this problem. Thank you.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

2006 Prius. 62K miles. One headlight started going out intermittently about 3 weeks ago (Jan.2010) now a minute or so after the first one goes out the second one goes too leaving me in total darkness. The fix is to turn the switch on and off. A bulletin I received last year says you can kill the hid by turning off and on while still hot. This the only way to keep the lights going! I got a ticket last week for a light out and of course I made it come back on for the officer but he wasn't impressed. Now I have to get it fixed and I have read all the blogs and clearly replacing the bulb is not way to correct this.

- Chazy, NY, USA

Jan 102009

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius with hid headlights. A little over a year ago I noticed that one or sometimes both headlights would go out intermittently. We live on a street without streetlamps and I had some scary moments several times when both lights went out. When I told my dealer about it, they said they could do nothing as the lights were working when they examined them. Finally, I got a letter from Toyota (attached), which said they would lower the replacement price of the headlights (but not warning of the problems I had been having). I had my dealer repair the lights at a cost of $559.25. The dealer told me that if I complained to Toyota, they would reimburse me. A case manager at Toyota said they would pay for the parts (about $300). I have now read of hundreds of other people with my model car who have had identical problems. I feel that Toyota should issue a recall for a dangerous problem like this, or at least notify the dealers so when owners complain of the problem it is repaired under warranty.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

May 152008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius - hid headlamps go out at random intervals and come back on when turned off and then back on. Thousands of reports on www.mycarstats.com. unsafe at night, especially in rural areas where deer roam the highways. My passenger side headlamp was replaced for free by Toyota rep and dealer after showing them the mycarstats.com complaint reports. Toyota also reduced price of hid lamps by one-half in a letter received about three months ago. Many have had to pay $400 to $1200 for repair and replacements. Prius front bumper has to be removed to replace headlamp.

- Centreville, MD, USA

Feb 152010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights fail intermittently.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Jan 232010

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius loses braking when trying to brake on uneven surfaces. The dash will light up the icon which displays uneven ground and when I apply brakes there is a momentarily lapse when the brake pedal does not respond. Also my left headlight and left taillight go on and off periodically.

- Newhall, CA, USA

Feb 152010

Prius

While driving with my Prius the headlights turn on and off at their own will. Sometimes it's the right headlight, then the left headlight. This morning I was driving to work and both headlights went out and I had to pull over. Turned the car off then back on and the headlights were on again. A few moments later, the right headlight went out. This is very unsafe for me as I drive mostly early in the morning and late at night when headlights are required. Toyota should cover this as a warranty item.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Feb 132010

Prius

I drive a 2006 Toyota Prius. I have experienced odd skid-like behavior while applying the brakes on bumpy roads or loose gravel. Most notably this happens at low and decelerating velocities (maybe 15 mph?) when the vehicle encounters broken pavement or loose gravel. It is often associated with the Prius' 'slippery surface' icon on the dash being lit. When this occurs it feels like the brakes do not function for a brief period. I have not had an accident as a result, but the experience has occurred at least 4 times over the four months I've owned it. Also, the front hid headlamps flicker on and off periodically making it dangerous to drive at night. I will report these problems to Toyota and based on the high volume of identical complaints I believe they should cover the cost of fixing these problems.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 072010

Prius

Headlights went out while driving at night on #5 fwy in ta hone pass on 2/7/10. Now headlights are intermittent. I paid $837 to dealer on 1/10/08 for replacement of headlamps. Dealer now wants $1024 to replace them again.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jul 312009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlamp failure. Headlights can flicker out and can potentially cost thousands of dollars to replace.

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

In 2006 I purchased a 2006 Toyota Prius package 6 which includes hid (high intensity discharge) headlamps. Starting approx. 1 year ago, I noticed a headlamp out while I was driving. When I took it to the dealer I was told it would cost $400+ to repair 1 headlamp. After doing some research on the internet, I found many complaints about Prius hid headlamps. I also found out that if you turn the light switch off and then on, they would work again temporarily, so I decided to tolerate a headlamp that is periodically out and would work again if I turned the switch off and on. Sometimes the driver side light would be out and sometimes the passenger side light would be out. Approx. 6 months ago, I discovered that both headlamps would be periodically out while I'm driving, a real safety problem. I stopped driving at night. Approx. 2 weeks ago, I received a letter from Toyota that they recognize the problem and will discount the headlamp bulbs from $300 each to $150 each plus labor. Even $150 is totally outrageous but I needed to drive that vehicle at night so I had both lights replaced for a total of $504.87. There should have been a recall from Toyota and they should fix that safety problem for free.

- Spring, TX, USA

Feb 112010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights go off while driving then come back on. Intermittent and totally unpredictable.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jan 292010

Prius

Passenger side hid headlight went out. Later it came back on. The vehicle, a 2006 Prius, only has 45,000 miles. Toyota sent us a letter stating the cost of a new bulb was reduced from $300 to $150 plus labor/tax. Also, the letter stated that hid bulbs are prone to deterioration due to use and advises that we use our headlamps only when necessary. I feel this issue is safety related and the fix is very expensive for a relatively new car. Toyota's advice to consider using the lights less is also misguided and not in the best interest of safely. I'm also concerned about possible electrical issues that may be causing this failure.

- Oakton, VA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

The driver's side hid headlight in my 2006 Prius has been malfunctioning for nearly two years now. When I drive, the left headlamp will turn off and stop working after a short while, and if I turn the lights off and then back on again, it works again for a while. I've had it fixed twice now. The first time, it worked normally for a while, but it started failing again after a few months. The second time it was fixed, it actually worsened. At this point, I'll have to cycle my headlights every ten minutes or so. Impaired vision at night due to headlight failure is a safety issue. I was told by friends in the Toyota service department that it's a "known issue" with the Prius equipped with high-intensity discharge (xenon) headlamps. If it's "known", why isn't it recalled? it's hazardous to drivers.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Feb 102010

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius. The hid lights flicker and turn off about two times a day while I am driving. These lights are supposed to last ten times longer than regular lights. The light failure is particularly dangerous at night when the lights can suddenly turn off.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

On my 2006 Toyota Prius left headlight intermittently keeps going out. When I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back.

- Atlantic Beach, FL, USA