2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 32 of 40)

Jan 212009

Prius

Hid lights turn off independent of vibration, heat, duration of time on. Occasionally both turn off at the same time. Turning brights has no affect. Turning lights off and then back on fixes the problem. Dealership has replaced entire headlight assembly, computer, and bulbs and then began to re-occur after 10,000 miles.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jan 162009

Prius

Right headlight failure and also intermittently flickers off and on. It occurs completely at random. New part has been ordered, but hasn't arrive yet and old part is available.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Sep 012008

Prius

I've got a package 6 2006 Prius with multi-reflector halogan auto-off headlamps. The hid lamps on this model Prius are notorious for failing within three years. See priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/34584-headlight-problem.html. the passenger side headlights keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. When I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen. Very similar to other posted descriptions.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

Purchased car in 5/2006. 11/2008 at around 45,000 miles noticed front left headlights would turn off intermittently. Turning headlights off and on would turn left headlight back on. Off again. Can't figure out what triggers it. High beams work.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 102008

Prius

Hid headlight defects on Toyota Prius 2006. Replaced both light on 2007 after one year I have to replaced again on 2008. The light did not die just goes out. I have to turn the headlights on/off and the work again for few hours or few day then happen again.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 142009

Prius

2006 Prius hid headlamps go out but can be recovered by turning switch off and then back on. Sometime just 1 light will go out and other times both will go completely off. Very dangerous when it happens at night time, you will be driving down the highway and all of the sudden both headlights go out. Have taken to the Toyota dealer 3 times. They have replaced bulbs and switch but it did not fix the problem, headlights still go out while driving. I have read hundreds of other complaints about the same problem on the 2006 Toyota Prius, something needs to be done. This problem could cause a serious accident especially when it happens at night.

- Bronson, MI, USA

Jan 052009

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius intermittently fail, but will re-start if I turn off, then on, the switch. This has happened at night, which is an extremely dangerous situation. Toyota does have a tsb out on this issue, and did replace both bulbs under warranty at 30K miles, but frequently this does not resolve the problem, according to complaints on mycarstats.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

May 012008

Prius

Hid right headlight goes out. After turning off and back on the light works for some time. The problem began after warranty was expired. Toyota dealer said it is a known problem but that there is no recall and wants $400 to replace one bulb. After researching the internet, it is clear that most of the affected cars were manufactured in 2006. A bad batch of bulbs/lamps is suspected. I am ordering bulbs from another manufacturer and having them replaced at a auto repair shop.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jan 132009

Prius

Intermittent lose of headlights that can be either the driver's or the passenger's lamp. System can be restored by recycling the headlight switch.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 062009

Prius

The headlights intermittently go out. They go back on when you turn them on and off a few times. It seems to be totally random. I was pulled over by the police last night because the light was out, but it went on when I turned the switch on and off so the policeman did not ticket me. The dealer is looking to charge me $450 to replace the headlight.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Jan 122009

Prius

For the past several months the headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius intermittently go out while driving. This occurs randomly, sometimes four or five times a day four days out of the week. Although it may be more often as I don't notice it in the daylight hours. They only come back on when they are turned completely off and then back on which is not very safe when you're driving on the highway in traffic. Now they've started "flickering", too. I went to the dealership the first week of December 2008 to have the problem fixed, but was informed by the service advisor the I need to return when I could leave the vehicle ( with the holidays was not able to return in Dec.) the problem continued and on the latest visit to the dealer 1/12/2009, I was informed by the dealership that they could not fix the problem because they thought it was a "contact problem "and that after the vehicle warmed up the problem would stop. After disagreeing with the service advisor I was told they would contact Toyota to see if this was a problem they had encountered before. Toyota's solution was to replace the light bulbs at a cost of approximately $600 but this was not guaranteed to fix the problem. This "fix" was refused due to the lack of assurance that it would fix the problem. After doing a small amount of research on the internet I found there appears to be a widespread problem with headlights on the Toyota Prius. There appears to be a bigger problem that the local dealer is willing to discuss.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Jan 112009

Prius

Headlights go off at random times mostly the right (passenger) side but it has happened on the driver side also. When this happens I have discovered that they come back on if I turn off the lights and then back on. After driving for a short time they start going off again or sometimes it will stay on until I don't need them. The next time I use the headlights they work fine for a few minutes and then it starts all over again. Of course it's night when the headlights are used and with one of the other of the lights out this causes a visibility problem and can't see the road clearly. I have received a warning/equipment repair order from my local police and the dealer can't find a problem. The dealer has checked them a couple of times and can not find any problem.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Apr 062008

Prius

Hid headlamp failure at 45,000 miles and again at 74,000 miles.

- Sonoita, AZ, USA

Jan 102009

Prius

Prius 2006 with headlamp problems that appears to be electrical and not just the bulbs. One headlight will go out then if I switch off the lights both will come on. It is not always the same light that goes out. When I turn on my lights it draws on the brightness of the dash lights and they dim. I will be driving with lights on and all the lights will go off until I switch the lights on once again. The dealer has informed me this is the led headlights which are 400 ea. And $90. Installation. This is outrageous and I know it is not just the lamps therefore they will then proceed to charge me for what ever else they think it might be such as the computer system. This should be under warranty. I paid the extra money for an extended warranty and they tell me this is not covered. I have been driving with this problem as I can not afford to fix the problem and do not trust the dealer to continue to charge me for this issue. After reading the chat rooms with other individuals with similar problems, this is a defect and needs to be recalled. They have been reporting this problem since 2004 or 2005. Why has this not been addressed.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Jan 082009

Prius

My headlights go out for no reason. While I'm driving, one headlight will go out. I will turn them off and back on and they are working again. Sometimes they work all day, sometimes they don't. sometimes it's the drivers side and sometimes it's the passenger side. The dealer tells me the headlight assemblies have to be replaced at a cost of around $1000!! much more if the circuit board is replaced.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 272008

Prius

Headlight/electrical problem. One headlight out intermittently starting in mid-November. Both headlights went out on 12/27/2008. We pulled over and turned the lights off and when we turned them back on both re-lit. On 1/2/2009 we were pulled over by police and given a verbal safety warning that one headlight was out. Later that evening, after stopping the car for a short time both lights came back on. On 1/5/2009, we took the car to the dealer with the left light out. When they started the car the next day they found both lights to be working. They inspected all connections then found that the right light was out. They said it would cost $250 to replace the bulb. We contacted Toyota and on 1/7/09 they offered to replace the right bulb for free. I drove home before my wife and as she arrived home I saw one light out. Unfortunately, by the time I got out to the car, my wife had shut it off and I could not recall which one was out. When we restarted the car, both lights came on.

- Roslyn, PA, USA

Jan 042009

Prius

Front left headlight stopped working at night on a 2006 Toyota Prius. It never worked again. This is a safety issue. I understand this is a common problem on the 2006 Prius. Have to have it replaced at a cost of $325 at dealership! there should be a recall.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 012008

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius has 52,000 miles on it. The driver's side headlight will turn on when I switch them on, then will go out a few minutes into my trip, and when I turn the lights off then on again it comes back on. I have noticed this problem with both headlights, although it is more common with the driver's side light. This occurs almost every time I drive. Based on what I've read, this appears to be a manufacturer's defect.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Jan 022009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. For the last 6 months the driver side front headlight intermittently goes out. If we shut off our headlights and then back on, it will re-light for an indeterminate amount of time and then the problem repeats itself. I've been stopped twice by the police and given warnings. I'be taken it to the dealership three times now to have it fixed. The first time, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. The second time, they could make it happen, but by banging the front of the hood could get the headlight to illuminate, and suggested I just live with the issue, as replacing the headlight would be "expensive" (no amount mentioned). Today I brought the car in for its regular maintenance work, as the light on the dashboard suggested it was time. The dealership is ira Toyota of manchester nh 03101. Their # is: 603-624-1800. My complaint is that when they changed the bulb they charged $157.82 for the lightbulb and another $180 for labor to replace it. I've never heard of such costs to replace a headlight. I went on the www tonight to see if my situation was unusual and found that many consumers are having this same issue with their 2006 Prius. It was recommended that we file a complaint with you....here I am. The website with the information regarding this common incident is: www.hybridcars.com/forum/replacing-headlight-bulb--T910 please look into this. Thank you.

- Contoocook, NH, USA

Sep 222007

Prius

Headlights went out on Prius 2006 model. First one went bad, coming on at times; then the other one went bad and I would be driving in the complete dark-very scary. I had reported it to the Toyota dealer and they said nothing was wrong and there had not been any similar problem reported. I went back again the next week with the same complaint. The supervisor of maintenance said he would look into it. Finally, the last time I told them that if I end up in a fatality D/T this problem with the headlights, someone in Toyota will be in deep trouble. That is when the supervisor took care of the problem the next day. The car was still under warranty. Same thing happened next year 2008. I had to have the two front headlights replaced and this time out of my pocket which is very ridiculously expensive.

- Gloucester, VA, USA