2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 35 of 40)

Aug 152008

Prius

One of the headlights stopped functioning intermittently at about 30,000 miles. Dealers service department said they could not recreate the failure, suggested that everything was in order, and therefore did nothing to address the problem. Now, at 35,000 miles, I am having incidents of both headlights going out. This is extremely dangerous, as it's unpredictable. I suddenly find myself driving in the dark with only my parking lights on. I took the car to the dealer and asked again for them to fix the problem. I was told when I picked up my car that they again had found nothing wrong - the headlights were "performing" and the service department supposedly didn't have enough time to diagnose the problem further (even though I left my car for the day and left my cell phone for them to contact me). I believe this is a very serious manufacturer's defect with the headlights, as I have now found numerous internet posting describing the exact same problem - headlights that fail intermittently at very low mileage with no warning.

- Rockport, MA, USA

Nov 142008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius purchased from beaman Toyota in nashville, Tennessee, February "06 (even though Toyota says the delivery date was November "05) at approximately 25000 miles, the driver side high intensity headlight began to go out when I was driving, I couldn't see it. I would see that it was out in the reflection of the trunk lid of another vehicle. If I simply turn the light switch off and back on the light would come back on and would not go off for a while. At first, it only happened sporadically, but over some months got much worse. I took it to a dealer, they replaced the bulb. They said it was under warranty and the $430 was covered. $430 for a headlight bulb"?????? they said they had to take the bumper off the car to get to the bulb. I let that pass, but then the passenger side headlight did the same thing. Again, it was sporadic. In October ?08 it began to cause a real problem. I could not drive more than a mile without it going out. On November 14, 2008, I took it back to the dealer. Again it was a bad bulb. I have watched this problem for quite a while and I do not believe it is the bulb. Even though I had purchased the 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, naively thinking it would take care of things like this, I was told it would cost $535 and that I would have to pay out of pocket because it was considered ?maintenance? and was not covered under warranty. $535 for a headlight bulb????????maintenance???????? what if both headlights go out while driving at night??????? if I live, you know who I?M going after. But, not only is this a safety issue and just plain wrong, this is a really poor design. I know Toyota has to make a profit, and everyone else who even breaths on this bulb has to make a profit. But, this is exorbitant and I consider it gouging. I also found I could buy this bulb on the internet for $108. Why has Toyota not addressed this problem ?" this is a serious safety issue.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Sep 012008

Prius

One or both headlights will stop working. Turning light switch off and then on will restore working lights. Problem occurs frequently (multi times in a day) and dealer can not find a problem.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Nov 132008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius, 49,800 miles hid head light failed.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Nov 102008

Prius

Driver side headlight goes out intermittently, goes back on if I shut lights off and turn back on. Dealer says bulb is bad, not covered on regular or extended warranty. This is a serious safety issue. This has been going on for several months.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Sep 152008

Prius

My 2006 Prius' front left headlight has been shutting off randomly and will re-light only when I turn the lights completely off and turn them back on. This is extremely dangerous as the only way I can tell when my left front headlight is out is when I see my reflection in a car behind me. I took the car to the dealership and was informed there was nothing wrong with my car. However, upon further research I have found out this is happening to numerous Prius owners. Nothing has been done to correct this failure because I can not get the light to "shut off on command". this happens every time I turn on my car - both lights will be operable for approx. 5 - 15 minutes (never know exactly when it turns off) then the left bulb will go out. I know it is illegal to drive with a headlight out and very dangerous, but don't know how to fix this problem!

- Reading, PA, USA

Jul 182007

Prius

Hid headlights went out intermittently and were able to turn them back on to continue to work. I took the Prius to the Toyota dealer and they replaced the computer board and headlights on both sides of the car.[right side and left sides] this was done in 2007. I bought the car new in 2006. And now the right side is having the same problems as back in 2007.

- Orrville, OH, USA

Nov 012007

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights intermittently go on and off, usually one at a time, but sometimes both at once. Turning them off and then back on temporarily resolves the problem. The problem with intermittent hid headlight operation appears to be common with the Prius, but is also occurring with other models. I own a sienna with the same problem. The dealer first replaced the hid computer $1,100, then the bulb $400, and now tells me I need a whole new headlight assembly for another $1,100. This is all in three months. The service technician said "if its not working, give it a little hit with your fist." Not easy to do on the highway. The point is that inoperable headlights are a safety issue, police officers can stop you for it, and you cannot pass inspection without operating headlights. Reading the posts on this site, it is clear that there is a manufacturing defect that is contributing to the problem.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

Intermittent failure of hid headlights on 2006 Toyota Prius. Occurs frequently when driving, either light or both turning off randomly. In every case to date switching off and on again has restored the failed beam(s).

- Redmond, WA, USA

Prius

Both headlights intermittently go out. Each will turn on, but then one or both will go off while driving. They will go back on when the lights are completely switched off and then switched on. Sometimes it will occur with just one headlight. Other times, it will happen to both. The dealership services dept. Told me that the problem is common with this model. It cost me almost $900 to repair. I also got warning ticket from police when one light went out while I was driving.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Aug 012007

Prius

My headlamp will turn off at random times. At first it was just the driver's side headlamp, now it is both headlamps. It occurs almost daily. I took my car into the dealership and told them about the issue. The replacement of the headlamps will cost over $700. When the car was under warranty they found no issues, as soon as it was out of warranty they wanted to replace them. After I did not replace them, all of a sudden they could run a diagnostics to determine if they were faulty. Where was this diagnostics the first two times?

- Erie, PA, USA

Nov 032008

Prius

Hid passenger headlight intermittently go off. Turning the headlights completely off and on again will make the headlights turn back on. Will work for a day, sometimes and then it happens again. Has been reported 220+ times at NHTSA site.

- Luterville, MD, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

Hid headlights intermittently go off. Turning the headlights completely off and on again will make the headlights turn back on. One or both headlights will then go out again within a few minutes. I do not know of a way to correct this failure. Others have reported spending thousands of dollars at the dealership trying to have this fixed.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jun 102008

Prius

Intermittent hid light failure on 2006 Toyota Prius. One side will go out and will come back on after I turn off the lights.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius with headlight problems. One will go off for no reason. If you turn the lights off and on the light then works. This happens to both sides and only a few times have I lost both lights at the same time. Very unsafe. I have the hid package and see that there are over 60 other complaints. Toyota needs to fix this problem before someone gets killed. I have been dealing with this for more than a year. The dealer has no information from Toyota about this problem. Please help!

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Prius

Headlight failure at random times on my 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. Lights always work correctly when first turned on. During trips of 15-30 minutes, one headlight usually fails. The left goes out more often than the right. When failed, neither the dim nor bright will work. Function is restored by turning the headlight switch off and then back on. Have had several dangerous moments when leaving brightly-lit streets, making turns onto dark entrance ramps. Suddenly, the absence of expected headlighting is obvious while scanning in the darkness for the curbs, edge of the road, etc. It took me some time to diagnose the problem as upon startup, both headlights always work correctly. I now believe the problem is in the headlight control circuits, not in the bulbs, as much of the time, both right and left headlights, dim and bright, work fine.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 152007

Prius

Headlamps going out, sometimes the left headlamp and sometimes the right, also both can go out. To correct the problem temporarily you have to turn the lights off and on again they will work for a short time. No parts have been replaced yet Toyota says they need for them to act up before they can diagnose.

- Akron, NY, USA

Oct 312008

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius randomly and intermittently turn off and/or dim significantly. Driving at night all of the sudden without any warning both headlights turn off. This happens every time I drive at night (I am sure it happens in the day time but I can not see it) and under normal driving situations.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Oct 302008

Prius

The headlights on our Toyota Prius began malfunctioning at 55000. They would flicker, fade and then fail. I had to flick the switch off then on and they would stay on a few minutes before fading away. I noticed there are quite a few complaints about this on some Prius discussion boards. The cost to fix this is more than $400/light as the whole assembly has to be replaced.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Oct 282008

Prius

My hid headlamps cut in and out. My tail lights cut in and out. I've got a Toyota extended care warranty. I've already had several tail lights replaced by the dealer. This is a safety issue and a defect. Toyota should have a recall because of the defective lighting systems in their hid equipped cars.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA