2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 34 of 40)

Dec 042008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid headlights have repeatedly failed. Both headlights intermittently failed and were replaced by Toyota 11/24/07. Now R hid headlight has failed again. Loss of headlights creates a major safety hazard.

- Everett, WA, USA

Sep 272007

Prius

Three weeks after obtaining my new 2006 Prius, the right headlight started going off while driving. When I turned the lights off and on again, it would come back on. After 3 trips to the dealership they replaced the headlight (I noticed that the light was also not as bright as the other light). Then the left one started doing the same, many trips in and they replaced that one. The problem would stop for a while after the new headlight then start again. Last night I was driving home and was stopped by police. Both of my headlights had gone off. Same fix, was to turn the lights off and then on again. There is no warning light in the car, so I have no idea if the lights are on or off, unless I am behind a car in which I can see the reflection of my lights in their bumper. This is very disturbing and scary. My car is in the shop now again and Toyota is telling me that it is "normal " to replace the headlights after 50,000 miles. They are still looking at it as a headlight bulb problem. They are not listening to me that there is a major issue with the wiring or computer somewhere in the car. The internet is filled with complaints of Prius headlight problems, but as far as I can tell Toyota is ignoring it. I have even brought them the lists off of the internet, and they say that "everyone complains on the internet".

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Dec 032008

Prius

High intensity headlight problem on 2006 Prius. Light goes off intermittently. Sometimes will come back on after flicking on and off a few times. Sometimes will not come on at all. Replaced passenger side at around 26,000 miles and driver's side a few months later. Covered by warranty those times. Now at 53,000 passenger side is out and dealer is charging $300 to replace headlight. Dealer stated that they have had many other customers with same problem. As of today there is no recall.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Nov 102008

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with about 60,000 miles. I am experiencing the widely reported issue with the hid headlight. The driver side headlight fails to turn on sometimes, but if I notice it and turn off the headlights and turn them back on, the problem goes away. Even if the light works, it sometimes flickers and goes out after a few minutes. I got pulled over by the police tonight for a failed headlight. Since this seems to be a widely reported issue, Toyota should fix this for the people who have encountered it. Thanks!

- Pacifica, CA, USA

Jul 192007

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 40 mph at night, the contact noticed that the exterior light on the passenger side lost power. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for a diagnostic, but no failures were found. The vehicle was not repaired at that time. A few months later, the exterior light on the driver's side began to lose power. The light began working again once it was turned off and then on again. The failures have occurred intermittently. The manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was 47,000 and failure mileage was 42,000. Updated 12/16/08 updated 12/18/08.

- E. Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

Before my 2006 Prius was out of warranty I noticed intermittent problems with one of the headlights, the dealer never could find the source of the problem. Once out of warranty I again mentioned the problem to the dealer and they said the headlight bulb was bad and it would be over $400 to replace. I said this was a problem when the car was under warranty but was never fixed, they replaced for free. I later searched the internet and discovered this is a common problem on the Toyota Prius. A headlight should not be over $400 to replace and if it is going to cost that much, it shouldn't be going out after such a short time.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

Aug 102008

Prius

Accident repair front right. Approx 2 wks after repair I noticed that the right headlight wasn't working. Hi beam works. Found other disgruntled owners on priuschat.com. Replacement of light is $350 and is under warranty for 33,000 miles - I had about 38,000 at the time of the accident. I have no way of knowing whether the light is ok and a connection is bad or whether the accident had anything to do with the failure of the light. I think this is a design defect and there should be a recall.

- Denver, CO, USA

Dec 012008

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius that has an intermittent front left headlight. It goes on when I first start it and then it goes off a few minutes later. If you redo the headlight it goes on then shuts off again. It seems very dangerous and the dealer is saying it will cost over $200 to fix.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Prius

Intermittent failure of driver side hid lamp in 2006 Toyota Prius. When the headlamps are turned off and then turned back on it starts back up. I have 60K miles on my car and have a Toyota extended warranty and am told that even though this is a known issue it is not covered.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Nov 152008

Prius

My passenger side headlight was reported to be out by my husband so I took the car to the dealership. The light was working for them, they told me at that time it would be $600 to repair so I should wait until "it is a real problem" before fixing it. Within a week or two I was pulled over by a state trooper for having a headlight out. Fortunately for me, he only issued a warning. I took the car back to the dealership, and the woman booking me in said "oh yeah, we see that problem with the Prius". I asked "what problem, exactly is that problem?" she said "just what you report, headlights going out & coming back on again". I asked if that should be a recall, and she said "your car is no longer under warranty, but I'll see what I can do for you." Ultimately, they replaced both headlights and the computer that is associated with each headlight & the dealership absorbed the cost "as a goodwill gesture & because of owner loyalty". seems to me they know there is a defective part and they are trying to duck a recall.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Nov 282008

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius experiences intermittent, sporadic events in which the headlamps (both of them but not simultaneously) go out. There is nothing to predict which one will go out, at which time and this morning at 6:35 am the driver's side went out as well as the passenger side, leaving me driving in the pitch dark. I had the drivers side headlamp replaced after hours of a Toyota tech not being able to find anything wrong with the wiring. I have been pulled over on several occasions only to turn off my lights and turn them back on at which point the lights come on again. This is safety issue for me as I drive approx 30000 miles a year and cannot be limited to driving in daylight hours. Toyota has been unable to diagnose the problem (or identify it) for me and I refuse to continue to replace headlamps, especially at such a high pricetag. This has been an ongoing issue with the latest incident happening today. I am tired of this.

- Waverly, MN, USA

Nov 282008

Prius

Hid headlight has began failing after only 45,000 miles. If I turn off the car and turn it back on, the headlight comes back on. It is an intermittent issue. The dealer has told me that I need to have the bulb replace already and it is not covered under the Toyota extended warranty. They want almost $500 to replace one hid bulb! there must be a problem with Toyota's supply of hid bulbs! there is no way that people can afford to pay 500 every 45,000 miles to replace one headlight! these things are supposed to last for many years and I've only had my car for just over two years. Is there anything you can do to help with this? there are hundreds of complaints on the internet from other Prius owners experiencing this same problem. Thank you.

- Charlotte Hall, MD, USA

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius randomly turn off, luckily only one at a time so far, then turn back on when I switch the lights on and off, or after I restart the car. The car is 2.5 years old with about 55,000 miles on it.

- New Kent, VA, USA

Sep 102008

Prius

Hid headlights failed prematurely on a 2006 Toyota Prius. Manufacture states would last life of vehicle or approx 190,000 miles. Dealer has indicated it will cost $900 to replace 2 bulbs (incl labor to remove bumper). I have read that hundreds of owners experienced exact same problem with 2006 Prius. Obvious that there was a material failure issue and the dealer will not budge to replace defective bulbs/controllers. Safety issue as the light goes out intermittently - without warning.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Oct 282008

Prius

Intermittent failure of hid headlights.

- Burlington, CT, USA

Nov 202007

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 35 mph, the exterior lights on the passenger side lost power. As a result, the contact could only drive with the high beams activated. He stated that the exterior lighting on the passenger side has been losing power intermittently for the past year. The vehicle was driven to the dealer on three occasions. The first two times the mechanic stated that the failure could not be duplicated. On the third visit, the dealer stated that the computer that controls the hid headlights was defective and needed to be replaced. The mechanic also stated that the hid headlamp needed to be replaced. The vehicle has been repaired, but the manufacturer has not been notified. The VIN was unavailable. The current mileage was 51,056 and failure mileage was 38,000.

- Spring Grove, PA, USA

Prius

'06 Prius. Had it's hid headlights changed a year prior due to the lights just 'turning off' while driving. Flicking them off/on would turn them back on for a bit. They would turn off randomly and often while driving, often with both lights turning off completely. This is a serious safety concern, considering they were replaced and continued to fail following that replacement.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 212008

Prius

My Prius 2006 driver side headlight is malfunctioning. I took it to Toyota dealer to check it out and they said the headlight 'leveler' sensor was defective - which I didn't replace because it was out of warranty. Two weeks later (June 2008), I got in a car accident (side-swiped). It was the other driver's fault (uninsured). However, since it was dark, the police suspected the defective headlight may have caused the accident. My insurance paid for repairs ($3,000) and replaced the headlight leveler. The driver's side headlight is still malfunctioning and I was stopped by the police on 11/16/08 about my defective headlight. My car is past warranty and research on Prius chat forums shows that it's a Toyota defect. I'm concerned that I will get into another accident because of this www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?F=3&T=11141&St=0&sk=T&sd=a&start=135.

- Garrison, NY, USA

Jun 152008

Prius

Hid drivers side headlamp turns on when switched on but after a few minutes it flickers and turns off. The headlamp must be turned off and back on to re-light the whole time the car is being driven. This defective light is clearly more dim in color as well.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 152008

Prius

One of the headlights stopped functioning intermittently at about 30,000 miles. Dealers service department said they could not recreate the failure, suggested that everything was in order, and therefore did nothing to address the problem. Now, at 35,000 miles, I am having incidents of both headlights going out. This is extremely dangerous, as it's unpredictable. I suddenly find myself driving in the dark with only my parking lights on. I took the car to the dealer and asked again for them to fix the problem. I was told when I picked up my car that they again had found nothing wrong - the headlights were "performing" and the service department supposedly didn't have enough time to diagnose the problem further (even though I left my car for the day and left my cell phone for them to contact me). I believe this is a very serious manufacturer's defect with the headlights, as I have now found numerous internet posting describing the exact same problem - headlights that fail intermittently at very low mileage with no warning.

- Rockport, MA, USA