2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 40)

Jan 012008

Prius

For the last 8 years I have had the headlights intermittently go off independently of each other. Now they are going off or dimming more consistently. They have been replaced thinking that it was a bulb or headlight issue but it has become clear that it is a wiring issue. The replacement headlight is more than $600 each and I know that replacing another one will not fix the issue. There needs to be a recall because problems are all over the internet with this issue. This happens while driving at any time or sitting in the driveway with or without the motor running.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Sep 012016

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006 right headlight will spontaneously and at random turn off. It happens when you are driving the vehicle. Often the car will illuminate both headlights and it is only after driving several minutes, the right headlight will turn off. Very difficult to reproduce. I feel this is a significant safety issue. Cost estimates from research have been shown to be $400 to $1200. Toyota has still not issued a recall for this problem

- Fremont, CA, USA

Feb 082016

Prius

This was the first of three headlight failures in the the year that I have owned this car.

- Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA

Jun 282016

Prius

This is the second failure of the headlights on this car since I bought it in late 2015.

- Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA

Dec 192016

Prius

Three times in the last 12 months the headlights have failed on this car.

- Sturgeon, WI, USA

Dec 182016

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 20 mph, the headlights malfunctioned. The contact could not see the road in front of him due to the malfunctioning headlight adjuster. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000. The VIN was not available.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Nov 012016

Prius

I noticed in the past month that the headlights turn off unexpectedly while driving. First the driver side then both headlights then the passenger side. They go back on when I turn the switch off and then on and the problem is unexpected and not reproducible. I was told at the dealer that the headlights needed to be replaced. They would not acknowledge there is any known issue with the headlights turning off by themselves. I replaced both headlights 2 days ago and will monitor the situation.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Dec 032016

Prius

While driving on a dark unlit windy road, the headlights seemed to be getting dimmer, then both spontaneously turned off. I had absolutely zero visibility of the road and I instinctively slammed the brakes. I was approaching a sharp turn with a guard rail and a steep ravine into a river. The car came to rest about 8 inches from the guard rail. Upon cycling the headlights on and off, they both lit up again. I turned in the fog lights as a back up and continued my drive, slowly. Since then, I have observed the lights fading and then turning off, usually only one light at a time, but sometimes both.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Aug 012006

Prius

While driving the right passenger side headlight flickers on and off and then turns off completely a few minutes after starting the vehicle. This occurs every time the vehicle is driven.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

Aug 012016

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius drivers side headlight goes out completely. It turns on when first engaging the light switch and turns off when in transit. It will relight after I turn the lights off and then back on again. My dealership has stated there is no issue with my headlights and provided me an inspection sticker for the vehicle. I need this issue to be fixed.

- Waterville, ME, USA

Feb 091996

Prius

I owe a 06 Toyota Prius both of my headlight keep turning off.....if I turn my switch on and off they work but then it'll do it again

- Ulysses, KS, USA

Sep 122016

Prius

Passenger head light not work some times at night.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Sep 022016

Prius

Head lights fail, flicker most when you need them

- Wrightwood, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Prius

The headlights flicker and then go out. It is necessary to turn off all lights and then turn them back on. The same thing happens after a short period of time. This happens when the car is moving and I have been pulled over because I was unaware that the lights were out while driving in the city.

- Lauderdale By The Sea, FL, USA

Mar 122012

Prius

The headlights turn off after anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes of driving. When I turn them off and on, they come on again. This has been happening for years. Now I learn that it is a common problem with priuses from 2006-2009. Would like Toyota to recall these.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Jan 132016

Passenger side headlight failure

- Cross Plains Wi, WI, USA

Jan 092010

Prius

While driving at night one or both headlights will go off.by turning lights off then back on works for a very short time I con not believe Toyota has not taken care of this very dangerous problem

- Beach Park, IL, USA

Jan 012015

Prius

The headlight continues to turn off on it's own while driving. Recurrent intermittent problem for months. The light comes back on after turning the switch on/off

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 012010

Prius

The driver's side front headlight goes off randomly. The problem is usually "fixed" by turning the light off and then back on, but that one light goes out again, sometimes 30 seconds later, sometimes an hour later.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Feb 152010

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. The contact stated while starting the vehicle, the reverse light, the indicator light and the odometer and speedometer lights did not illuminate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the combination meter needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Rosharon, TX, USA