2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 22 of 25)

Oct 102009

Prius

I had a headlight go out. Before I could get it fixed I noticed that it would come on when I turned the lights on and then fade out. Subsequently, the other headlight went out while driving down the road, at night. I turned off the headlight switch and then turned it back on and the one light came back on. I took it to the dealer and they replaced one bulb. It lasted a week and then driving at night the lights went out again. I again turned the lgithts off and on and the came back on. I have researched this problem online. www.google.com/search"sourceid=navclient&aq=2H&oq=&ie=utf-8&rlz=1T4ggik_enus283us283&Q=Prius+headlight+problems. This is a clear safety issue that needs to be addressed. Who is to say that someone hasn't been killed already. Are there any unexplained Prius accidents running off the road for no reason"

- Larwill, IN, USA

Oct 262009

Prius

My right headlight goes off and sometimes it will come back on with me turning off the on the headlight. My wife today had the light turn off and the maintenance light came on. I tried to turn off then on but the light stayed off. I am going to have the vehicle towed 55 miles to the Toyota dealer in redding ca. Upon reading the Prius chat site I have found out that this is a common problem with Prius's with hid lights. This I feel is a factory problem and should not cost me anything to fix. Thanks dennis swope

- Burney, CA, USA

Jul 162009

Prius

The hid bulb on the passenger side of my 2008 Toyota Prius with only 40K miles on it, goes out intermittently. If I turn my switch off and then back on, the bulb will come back on, for a little while. The dealership wants $300 to replace the bulb. The hazard of possibly losing the driver side light before I can get the passenger side repaired is of great concern. This is a continuing, constant problem.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

I work in the field of law enforcement. I got off duty and was getting ready to leave when another officer notified me that my drivers side headlamp was not operable. As a peace officer I can testify that I've had numerous contacts with the owners of late model Prius' pertaining to headlamps and tail lamps being inoperable. This is a serious safety issue and Toyota needs to recall the vehicles and make the necessary repairs. I can say that the local Toyota dealer fixed the issue immediately when I took it in for repairs. I told them I was not going to pay the $300 plus to fix the issue considering it's a common problem with the late model vehicles. The dealer is very reputable and fixed the vehicle without charge. Now I'm concerned about the other head lamp and having it replaced before it goes out.

- Fairifeld, CA, USA

Oct 162009

Prius

The hd headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius go off at times. Last night I was driving and both headlights went off, I tried the brights but they didn't work either. I pulled over to a gas station and turned of the car and restarted it. This time only one light came on and the brights worked only on one side. This happened in August too but then the lights came on again and there wasn't a problem. However in the past 3 days the problem has resurfaced. The bulbs are not burnt. I live in the mountains so it was very scary when the lights suddenly went off on the winding mountain road.

- Topanga, CA, USA

Sep 072009

Prius

I have a hid headlight on a 2008 Prius that appears to flicker and then goes out. The problem seems to be intermittent and was brought to my attention by a policeman. When I start the car at home the headlight comes on brightly. A few miles down the road the problem starts. Repair cost is very expensive.

- Mission Hills, CA, USA

Mar 102009

Prius

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius with high intensity discharge headlamps, and more often than not they both go out randomly, I have to turn them off then on again to get them to work as many as 5 times an hour of driving (commuter), this problem really started to be an issue back in March when the left headlamp consistently kept going out. Now I brought it in for service and Toyota will cover it this time but although my car is 1 year and 11 months old I have almost reached the 36,000 mile limitation. After which this repair will cost me approximately $1000. I do have Toyota extra care warranty for 8 years or 125,000 miles and the will not cover such issues even if they are due to defects. I am concerned that if this becomes a consistent problem it may cause an accident. I commute daily approximately 50 miles and I always return from work at night. I will get the old set of lamps back from the dealer for analysis if needed. I really think that this concern should be of utmost importance because it has the potential to cause serious injury if it is not corrected.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Oct 052009

Prius

Safety issues with Toyota 2008 Prius headlight system. After living with poor headlight illumination and other headlight issues for about 19 months, I am registering what I consider to be significant safety issues. Headlights: 1. not bright enough. 2. cannot be aimed to give distance illumination 3. blink off driving at night I have made numerous, mostly unresolved, trips to the dealer where we bought the car new. 1. it took two trips to the dealer, to resolve problems with the automatic system for raising and lowering the headlights. I was told the assembly has no shielding or seals to protect it from physical or corrosion damage 2. after alignment adjustments, the headlights continued to be aimed too low. With low beam they are so low that a pedestrian, bicycle, animal, more than about 30 feet away is very difficult to see at night. The high beam setting is somewhat better. We have had several close encounters with deer standing on the road and seeing them barely in time to avoid them. On several occasions I have not seen bicycles or people walking on the edge of the road in the dark again, avoiding them at the last second. The high beam the headlights are not bright enough to cause anyone to flash back at me when they approach from the opposite direction. I have the (expensive) high intensity lights. They have investigated auxiliary headlights for me but have nothing to offer, suggesting I go to an aftermarket person to install additional lights. (I am reluctant to do this, for reasons of complexity, and potential legality.) 3. I have made three additional round trips to the dealer for the problem of headlights (high and/or low beam) that turn off for no reason after driving a short period of time. Luckily it is just one┐.usually but not always the right side. One ┐computer┐ has been replaced. The dealer's service shop personnel indicate all these are problems they have seen previously and are characteristic of the car.

- Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Oct 022009

Prius

Toyota 2008 Prius hid headlights randomly turn off (one at a time, usually not together) while driving at dawn, night or dusk. No repairs done at this time until Toyota or the vendor who supplies Toyota hid headlights, computer chip, electronics, software, sensors, etc. Evaluate why this is happening. The workaround is drive to the side of the road and stop, and to unsafely turn the light switch off, then back on. It is unfair to the consumers to pay for replacement components, labor when the manufacturer(s) does not understand why this is happening (based on talking to service rep in July 2009, no service bulletins from Toyota, at airport Toyota in vandalia, oh).

- Cridersville, OH, USA

Sep 222009

Prius

Passenger-side hid headlamp failed on my 2008 Toyota Prius at ~36,400 mileage. Took it to dealer 2 days later and they said problem could be lamp or computer and that both were expensive ($300), but since lamp was on they could not investigate the problem. I took car back and once again light dimmed then flickered off while driving. I did some reading and found that this hid failure is a well-known defect on second generation Prius. Current mileage is 36,900 so not under warranty. Placed call to manufacturer to find out if there is any remedy for this defect and they will get back to me w/in 24 hours. I will have to get a replacement since it is unsafe to drive at night in semi-rural area with on-again/off-again headlights. This is a safety issue and I hope we don't have to wait for a fatality, like with the floormats, to get some action.

- Highland Mills, NY, USA

Sep 042009

Prius

I have a 2008 Prius with about 40,000 miles on it, the headlamps are turning off randomly. I quickly flip the switch off, then back on and they remain on for about 2 minutes, then fail again. Very dangerous when on country roads. I keep the fog lights on as back up. Just got back from dealer and they told me $400 to replace. Ouch! I decided to take the risk and keep on driving due to the extremely high cost and no decent guarantee after the install.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 152009

Prius

Both headlight bulbs will go out when the vehicle is hot. It can be one at a time or simultaneously. Additionally both tail light bulbs stopped working approximately 1 week prior. When the rear bulbs were replaced the headlight problem seemed to worsen.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Aug 062009

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius headlight failure--headlights will go out at anytime. Driver switches lights off then back on to regain headlight. Dealer said it is a failure of the high density lamp assembly. Entire assembly replacement is the only repair. Cost of assembly is 250 dollars and 50 dollars to remove & install.

- Middleboro, MA, USA

Aug 252009

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius - hid headlights. Lights turn off independently and intermittently. Sometimes one, sometimes both. Restarting vehicle will resolve problem temporarily, but they usually fail again. I contacted Toyota experience hotline. A case manager stated that this is normal behavior for these headlights when they are starting to need replacement. This vehicle had 38000 miles when problem started. If the behavior were normal, wouldn't it be in the owners manual? a normal behavior wouldn't create such a safety hazard without some kind of warning light. For instance, when my tire pressure is low, a warning light comes on. We were only told to bring it to the dealer for inspection.

- North East, MD, USA

Aug 312009

Prius

Headlights on car go off while driving. I have to keep turning the switch off and on to get them back on. This is happening more and more. I will be driving on a dark road with no streetlamps and my headlights will go completely out. All of a sudden I find that I'm driving blind.. I have found that other Prius cars are having this same problem. I have a 2008 Prius with 41,000 miles on it. It's scary and very dangerous: www.hybridcars.com/forums/replacing-headlight-bulb-T910.html#comm...

- Titusville, FL, USA

Oct 012008

Prius

Hid head light goes off while driving in Toyota Prius 08.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 062009

Prius

My 2008 Prius frequently had failure of one and both headlamps at the same time. I was unable to bring them back on by turning them on and off. They would reset after vehicle sat for a time.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius pkg 6...lost power at 65mph...engine shut down and I lost control of car...pulled over...lights said there was no fuel but I had refueled earlier that morning. Took to dealer...could not find a problem. Also, hid headlights intermittently don't work...very unsafe...has caused trouble with police...I am beyond irritated with Toyota.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

We have 2008 Prius that first began having left headlamp go out when driving, we would have to pull over safe place along road turn mess with turning headlights on and off... created unsafe driving remainder of trip, aprox 200 miles night drive to get home with one headlight... not good on Montana roads with wildlife prevalent on roadway... dealer replaced under warranty... two weeks later same trouble with right headlight while driving home at night from spokane wa. To bigfork, mt again dangerous 5 hr drive at night on freeway with poor visibility... this time dealer said they needed to replace both the right headlight and a computer sub assy... help.. both instances caused unsafe driving conditions, night with only one headlight with lots of wildlife crossing the hwy... and it is important to know we can not simply pull into service station and replace the headlight, it is a dealer only item that we are told involves removing the front bumper to replace...

- Bigfork, MT, USA

Jun 092009

Prius

Headlight failure, had to have replaced. The part was covered by warranty but labor for $700 was not.

- Tustin, CA, USA