2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 23 of 25)

Aug 012009

Prius

Both the driver's and passenger's side high intensity discharge (hid) headlamps in my 2008 Toyota Prius have been flickering while driving over the last several weeks, creating a sudden unexpected hazardous limited visibility condition. There is less than 40,000 miles on the car, which I bought brand new from the dealer in November 2007. Toyota's warranty does not cover the exorbitant repair cost of the prematurely expired hid bulbs, though there have been over 400 complaints against this defect. Therefore I am filing an official complaint, and a suggestion for a full investigation into the possibility of a recall of the hid lamps.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Apr 102009

Prius

In the 2008 Toyota Prius "touring edition", the hid (high intensity discharge) lamps fail at a more rapid pace than their standard halogen counterparts. When they do fail, they fail without warning and can be turned on intermittently, giving the impression of a loose bulb or wire and delaying repair. If the headlights are outside of their extremely short warranty period (only 36,000 miles), Toyota also wants over $500 in parts and labor to repair these nigh-impossible-to-replace light bulbs, per bulb, even though the bulbs only cost about $123 each from a third-party supplier ($215 through Toyota). Because of the false sense of security caused by the appearance of a loose wire or bulb, and the reluctance to shell out $500 for repair, many drivers will choose to wait on repairs. Shortly after the first bulb fails, less than 2000 miles in my case, the other bulb will fail, most likely because of an imbalance in the high-voltage hid system.should this happen at night, it could pose an extreme safety risk to the occupants of the vehicle. I recommend that a recall, or possibly a warranty extension on the headlights, be issued with all haste.

- Sandia Park, NM, USA

Feb 012008

Prius

Hid headlights have performed poorly, dim - particularly on high beam, since it was new. Now left headlight only works intermittently.

- Healy, AK, USA

Apr 092009

Prius

Head lamps went out with only 30K mile and both went out within a week of each other costing me 1K to repair.

- Manassas, VA, USA

May 152009

Prius

About 33K on my new beloved '08 Prius my left headlight went out as I was pulling into my garage. The next morning it came on just fine. I noticed a decline from there. A few days later the right one went out and on a Sunday trip about 2 months later both headlights flickered. I found that in the interim turning them off and then back on again helped sometimes. Now the lights are out and I cannot drive at night or in the rain! the first dealership said they couldn't replicate the problem, so they couldn't fix it under warranty. They said they could replace the headlight, but at my cost. It doesn't seem like the light itself is the problem (why would it then come on after turning it off and on again?)

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Jul 142009

Prius

Prius 2008 headlight go off and back on. Dealer says this is a known problem but Toyota has not done a recall. New light will be $500 plus labor to put it in. Asked if this can happen with the other side and dealer says yes.

- New Castle, IN, USA

Aug 152009

Prius

I currently own a 2008 Toyota Prius, and formerly owned a 2003 Prius. After approximately 30,000 miles, I was made aware by others that my driver's side headlight was out. After further investigation, I learned the lamp would turn on if I turned off the lights and then turned them back on again. I have since been pulled over three times due to a headlight being out. The function of the light has become very inconsistent- I conducted a road test of over 30 miles (auto mileage 47000) resulting in the drivers side lamp burning out seven times without relationship to driving conditions (speed, bumps etc). This is a serious safety hazard. I have paid almost $200 to Toyota dealers who could not isolate a problem. Since then, I carry the dealer info with me so when I get pulled over again, I can show the officer I have attempted to fix this problem to no avail from the manufacturer. Since then I have discovered this is a common problem in this model. I have even seen other Prius' with the driver's headlight out.

- Middle Grove, NY, USA

Jul 252009

Prius

I own a 2008 Toyota Prius. My passenger headlight began to change color and intensity and then began to turn off while driving. Then both headlights started to turn off while driving. The headlights will come back on if I turn the switch off and then back on. The headlights have been inspected at a Toyota dealership who said that they need to be replaced. The dealership quotes $655 for this repair. After researching the problem, I have found this is a known defect among many Prius owners.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

Headlight passenger and driver side will intermittently turn off. If I turn off the headlights completely and turn them back on they will sometimes correct themselves and stay on for up to 15 minutes before turning off again.

- Madison, AL, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

Defective hid headlights of Prius by Toyota. My 2008 Toyota Prius hid left side headlight began fading, intermittently ceasing and eventually ceased completely around 2nd week of July, 2009. The 100K mile bumper to bumper platinum extended warranty on the vehicle purchased from the Toyota dealer when I bought the car would not cover this replacement. So, I had to pay $325 dollars on July 24th to replace it. That evening, the right side hid headlight began having the same gradual failure and it's now working weakly and intermittently. Another $325 dollars will be needed to pay for it and I don't have it. For months, I have observed other Prius with 1 headlight out and this is obviously a defective product. Please investigate, punish and mandate a recall from Toyota.

- Clifton, VA, USA

Jul 252009

Prius

Passenger side hid headlight failure on 2008 Prius touring model. The light failed suddenly while driving at night. It flickers when turning the headlight switch off then on again but does not reilluminate. Mileage is 30.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 152009

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius headlight(s) turn off without warning. Over the past three months, the passenger headlight turns off anytime from 2-30 minutes after being turned on. Sometimes the driver headlight will turn off. On one occasion, the remaining light turned off, leaving me in the dark! luckily, I was in a 30mph zone with street lights. That's when I discovered that turning the lights off and on somehow resets them. Internet reports indicate that this is a common problem with hid headlights on the Prius. It's a safety issue, as my local police have twice informed me.

- Westford, MA, USA

Jul 142009

Prius

The driver's side hid headlight system malfunctions (light goes out) approximately 30-60 seconds after vehicle startup. The passenger side hid headlight system failed (replaced) nine months ago.

- Alma, MI, USA

May 152009

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius driver's side headlight goes out unexpectedly while driving. The headlight comes back on if the headlights are turned off and back on again. This has been occurring nearly daily since May 2009. Problem occurs on both smooth and bumpy roads and at different speeds.

- Zion, IL, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

Both front headlamps intermittently fail. Turning the lights on and off fixes it for a short while. It is dangerous to drive without knowing if the lights are on at night.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Jun 222009

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius hid headlight failure. Vehicle was purchased new 2nd week of April 2008 and has less than 7,500 mi on odometer. Driver side hid headlight failed on the evening below without warning while on highway. Worked intermittently but dim, between June 22nd till replaced on 6/29 under warranty.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 282009

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius. Hid headlight dims or goes out. Turning lights off and back on restores headlight. There are numerous reports of this problem on priuschat.com as well as other places. This is a safety issue for night driving.

- Worcester, MA, USA

May 202009

Prius

My 2008 Toyota Prius headlights go out intermittently while driving. Sometimes one light, sometimes both. I will turn the lights off and turn them back on and they will both work for varying periods of time before one or both go out again. Extremely difficult to duplicate for the service personnel.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

Drivers side hid headlight flickers and dies. Can cycle power and comes on for 5 sec and dies.

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Mar 102008

Prius

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the bulbs blow out each month in the headlights and tail lights. The bulbs were replaced three times each. The current mileage was 91,000 and failure mileage was 3,000.

- Paintrock, TX, USA