2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 24 of 24)

Mar 302009

Recurring hid headlight /computer failure on 2008 Toyota Prius.  my hid headlight/computer has failed on my 2008 Prius costing $600 to replace.  I frequently encounter other Prius vehicles on the road with one headlight out which leads me to believe there is a manufacturing defect in the computer.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Mar 202009

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights worked intermittently. The manufacturer stated that the warranty would not cover the repairs for the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were less than 38,000.

- Alpha , NJ, USA

Mar 182009

I own a 2008 Toyota Prius, package 6, with 40600 miles on it. The hid headlights started to go out while driving. It started with the drivers side, then the passenger side light was affected. I could turn the lights off then back on and they would work again for a period of time. Twice, while driving at night they both went out. Luckily I was able to turn them off and back on and it stayed on. This problem shouldn't occur on a new vehicle with 40K miles. I was cited by a police officer on 18mar09 for driving with 1 operating headlight.

- Mardela Springs, MD, USA

Mar 012009

2008 Prius with hid headlights. Both intermittently fail. Can be corrected by switching lights off/on. Safety issue because never can tell when they will fail.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Mar 102009

2008 Toyota Prius both headlights went out this morning and I was able to get them to come back on for about 5 minutes total while driving to work. I drive 70 miles on freeway each way in the dark. Driver side bright light would come on briefly then go out again. Passenger side bright light did not. I drove to work with the fog lights on only.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Feb 192009

2008 Toyota Prius hid bulbs have failed intermittent take it to the dealer and they replaced the ECU for the hid's 2X but will not warranty bulb, they want $349.99 for bulb and 1 hr labor this is a safety issue as both can go off together if I turn headlights on then off they work I have been given warnings by the police 3X already and try to explain so back to the dealer for the same run around I purchased 2 bulbs from my local parts store for a fraction at $149ea but still this is outrageous...NHTSA should force Toyota into a safety recall which this is one. You need lights to drive at night? I do think so.

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

Oct 162008

Have a 2008 Toyota Prius. Headlights operate intermittently. I understand this has been a problem with Prius for a few years and has bilked alot of money from owners unfairly. Who is our advocate. Exorbitant prices are being charged for parts and labor. Please help us. Thank you.

- Ranson, WY, USA

Dec 302008

I burn my headlights in the daytime. A friend saw me driving, phoned me and said that I had a headlight out (left). After I arrived at my destination, I turned off the lights, then back on, and the headlight worked again. If this were to happen at night, it would of course, be more of a hazard.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Nov 152008

Premature hid headlamp failure. My car is barely 40K miles. Headlamps intermittently goes out. It would come back on if I turn the headlamps off and then on.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Nov 292008

The headlight of my 2008 Toyota Prius stopped working so I when I had it replaced the dealership charged me $350 for the bulb. After I paid for the replacement of the bulb, the service manager game me a customer service number to call and complain about the price of the bulb. No one answered. I went home and checked the various blogs on the internet and found that this has been an on going problem with the Toyota Prius. The headlights seem to be defective. Excluding the inflated cost of a light bulb, this has to be a safety concern for Toyota. The bottom line is I paid just over $401 to replace a $10 light bulb. That is just plain wrong and someone should hold Toyota responsible. Thank you for your time in this matter. Dennis bennett

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Oct 102008

I have a 2008 Prius and the hid headlights go out in the first 5 miles after starting up, both sides will go out, but if I click the switch they come back one. I' M a line haul courier and drive 423 miles a night so I have the pattern of the lights going out one side then the other for about 5 to 10 mins. Hitting the switch to prime them back on then they stay one for an hour or even two. If I stop at 7-11 or gas, they'll act up for about another 10 mins, then they stay on. Once in a great while one of them will go off, but I drive with my running lights on so I'll have light to catch when they go off. I started to complain after a month or so, but the gal said that it would cost $800 or more, (I've heard it's higher. I 've asked a couple of times and was told 'it's electrical! I can't afford that kind of scratch for something that's should be all working, for $26,000! I just figure that it should work and if it don't, why should I pay for something that should come with this high tech vehicle!! any way I love it except from the intermittent high light failure...I hope my chp doesn't blow a fuse if something happens and they test it and Toyota was at fault as it should provide a safe car for California highways...

- Clovis, CA, USA

Sep 252008

Headlight failure on the Prius seems to be an on going issue from year to year for the models that have the hid type. I lost the drivers side light about the first of Sept. 08 and the passenger side this morning. Doing a search and reading of the problem is why I am filing a complaint.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Jan 152008

Prius 4-cyl

When I turn my head lights on after a few minutes left light goes off I turn off the lights and turn back on again the both lights are on for few minutes and then again left light goes off.

- Yonkers, NY, USA