2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 24)

Jul 012009

Prius

Constant headlight bulb replacement - serious safety issue - while driving on the highway a headlight bulb will go out; first on one side then the other side. Bulb replacement has occurred every couple of months for several years now. What happens if both headlights go out at the same time"?? I loose time from work to have the replacements done. Why has there been no recall"

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Oct 252015

Prius

The headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius turn off sporadically sometimes one sometimes both very dangerous at night because they both turned off so I need to get ahold of somebody and see what I need to do to get this problem solved my name is janet cuaron and the phone number to reach me at is 505-489-8951. The lights turn off in all weather on country roads of the free way.

- Belen, NM, USA

Dec 192015

Prius

This month, when leaving for a trip, I noticed the passenger side headlamp was out. I planned on replacing it when I returned. Upon returning, the headlamp has mysteriously come back on. I researched intermittent headlamp problems with my car and found out many others have had the same issue. I'm now not sure if the problem is the headlamp or some circuit.

- Los Osos, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Prius

Started to have issues with right headlight on 2008 Prius starting in 2013 but was not aware of the class action lawsuit. Finally replaced the bulb 10/14 and spent $200 out of pocket to replace bulbs. I'm frustrated because the same headlight went out just nine months later!

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Dec 172015

Prius

The headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius are totally unreliable, have been replaced once, and now I find there was a class action lawsuit - and there should be one again. The dealer does not know what to do. They do not know if the bulbs or the headlight mechanism is flawed. The lights flicker, go out (both or each) unexpectedly, and while driving - this is terrifying. Turns out it is a well known problem and NHTSA has not addressed it fully. Most recent was at the dealer 12/17/2015, flickering, going out, and not properly going to brights. The bulbs cost $188/each. Ridiculous.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Prius

Driver side head light turns on, then flickers and then goes out. I have been stopped twice. Replaced relay ($75) no differance..this happens when starting the car before even putting in gear

- Dayton, TX, USA

Aug 092015

Prius

The headlights intermittently, and without warning, go out. This happens every time the lights are turned on. By quickly turning the lights off and then back on, they have thus-far turned back on. They will remain on for up to ten minutes. The turning off happens whether the car is moving ot not.

- Jacksonville, IL, USA

Nov 202015

Prius

Bought the car in late October and the left front headlight has gone out twice.

- Parkton, MD, USA

Nov 052015

Prius

Left headlight goes out while setting still and while driving. On a ten mile trip the light will go out 6 - 10 times. Turning the light off and back on makes the light to burn again. I have been stopped by the police for this. When I stop I, turn the headlamps off, when they tell me why I was pulled over for I play dumb and they instruct me to turn on my lights and dim them or put on high beam. They are left scratching there head and I'm on my way. This happens every time the vehicle is driven at night. Also happens setting still.

- Chatham, VA, USA

Nov 082015

Prius

My lights have been going off intermittently for a few months now. I went to the dealership for a 12 V battery issue and a couple of recall items, including the hybrid cooling recall issue and the dealer thought this might fix the issue but it has not. What happens is that at any given moment, each and every day/night, when I am driving one or the other headlight will go out. Occasionally both will go out. The only way this is remedied is when I toggle the light switch off and on. Sometimes it takes 2-3 toggles to get the problem to resolve, the suddenly and again, and again the one or the other lights go out. Apparently this is an issue with Toyota Prius's of my year. This happens every time I drive and there is no rhyme or reason. I happens when I am driving. I have tested it to see if happen over bumps and it does not specifically--it just happens when I am driving and several times over. I am not a mechanic though you don't have to be one to see that this kind of issue is not the bulb, because when the bulbs are working they shine brightly. It has to be some other issue with the functioning of the lighting system. This happens on city streets, on highways and when stationary. It happens when I am going straight and turning. It happens and any and all speeds.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Apr 152015

Prius

Right headlight goes out after a few minutes. Have changed ballast and bulb twice, the problem recurred almost immediately both times.

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Oct 302015

Prius

Headlights intermittently flash off with no warning. Can not be repaired. Sometimes both flip off at same time. One goes out (or both) appr. Every 5-10 minutes of driving, or while car is stationary with lights on.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Prius

About two years ago, one of my headlights began to cut out without warning. Now, starting 2 months ago, both of my headlights stop working at the same time without warning, I have had 2 near-misses because of this issue, Toyota, my car manufacturer, refuses to do anything to fix this highly dangerous issue, even though over 200,000 Prius owners have reported the problem. Who knows how many other owners out there who have not reported anything?!

- Glendale, CA, USA

Oct 202015

Prius

Known formally as high-intensity discharge (hid) lights, they either work intermittently making nighttime driving a lot more exciting or fail entirely......updated 12/03/15

- Madison, AL, USA

Oct 142015

Prius

Headlights short out intermittently. Both headlights have gone out, the left has gone out, the right has gone out. If I turn off the lights and flip them back on, they occassionally both come back on, or one comes back on or neither come back on. This is extremely dangerous at night. It has to be electrical. There's no way it's the bulbs, I've owned the car for a year and have blown through many bulbs already. This is getting expensive besides dangerous. This happens on bumpy roads, smooth roads, turning, going straight. I haven't found a certain thing that makes them turn off. This has been happening for a long time, but I can only choose one date below.

- Jacobus, PA, USA

Oct 082015

Prius

While driving in the early morning before sunrise, several times, the headlights turned off suddenly. Frightening while on the highway. Luckily the lights turned back on. This happened at least 5 different times.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Prius

Headlights flicker, dim, and eventually go out altogether while driving. I have replaced the 12V battery and it still occurs. Concerned for safety of myself and my family.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 212015

Prius

Initially the passenger side headlight began to flicker. Then it went out. When I turned the lights off and on again it came back on. Since then completely randomly one light or the other, but more commonly the passneger side will flicker and dim, and then later go out. Turning the lights off and back on will usually restore the light but more than half the time only to a dimmed or flickering condition. Sometimes both lights just go out randomly and without warning.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 262015

Prius

Very dangerous situation...was driving home from the mountins down a windy road and both headlights on my Toyota Prius failed. Brought car into Toyota of manhatten next day and had to have both headlights replaced for $530.$300 for the light bulbs and 230 for labor. Learned online that this is a common failure for 2008 Prius, and that there was a class action lawsuit that was settled too early and does not cover older vehicles with complete light failure.

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 062015

Prius

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the head lights suddenly failed to illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fredrica, DE, USA