2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 25)

Dec 152015

Prius

Headlight went out on highway at 65 mph at night.was very dark and created a blind spot on the left side of the car. I now find that Toyota knew about this and tells me to just turn the lights off and on and the headlight will come back on, thats fun at 60-70 mph. Very dangerous.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Feb 032016

Prius

Driving down a highway at 10:30pm and my headlights just failed. Both of them off! no warning, just black. I turned off the light switch and back on, they lite up again bright for about 2seconds then dimmed a little and 30 seconds later, off again. This continued for about then minutes; off, bright, dim, off, etc...then only one light stayed on for the remainder of my 20 mile drive home. Thank goodness it was a relatively straight road and not very busy but there are no street lights or bill boards on this road so when the lights went out...it was very dark.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Prius

Right headlight flickers and intermittently turns off and on. About a week ago both headlights turned off while driving. This has happened 2X in the past week and half. Luckily we turn them off then on and they have come back on each time. We have had the right headlight fixed several other times also. I just heard about the issues that other people have had which is why I am just now pursuing this.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Jan 012016

Prius

While driving on the highway at night, the left headlight will go out. I turn the headlight switch off and back on and the left headlight comes on again. However, within a few minutes it goes out again. This happens repeatedly. One time both headlights went off at the same time. I'm reporting this because it is an issue that many Prius driver's have had so seems to be a design problem. This issue has occurred many times and seems to be a permanent problem now.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Jan 162016

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius touring model have numerous critical safety problems. The headlights go out completely and randomly at any time while driving. I have been thrown into complete blackness on windy country roads. I have had several vehicles swerve to avoid me as I have swerved to avoid cars, trees, curbs, poles etc. Furthermore, the lights are very dim causing further driving difficulty and danger with even worse performance in inclement weather. I have become very anxious and the lights going on and off distract and worry other drivers. It is so bad that I risk my life by driving the car at night.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jan 092016

Prius

When driving home on highway just after dark, both headlights went out simultaneously without driver interaction. Headlight switch was still on, untouched. Visibility outward as well as other vehicles seeing me (black Prius at night without lights) severely impaired, could easily have caused an accident. Pulled over and turned headlight switch off, then back on; lights came on bright and immediately dimmed, apparently normal. Checked online and found a number of similar (escalating) occurrences by others, without a recall yet by Toyota. After pulling over and stopping

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

Constant headlight bulb replacement - serious safety issue - while driving on the highway a headlight bulb will go out; first on one side then the other side. Bulb replacement has occurred every couple of months for several years now. What happens if both headlights go out at the same time"?? I loose time from work to have the replacements done. Why has there been no recall"

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Oct 252015

Prius

The headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius turn off sporadically sometimes one sometimes both very dangerous at night because they both turned off so I need to get ahold of somebody and see what I need to do to get this problem solved my name is janet cuaron and the phone number to reach me at is 505-489-8951. The lights turn off in all weather on country roads of the free way.

- Belen, NM, USA

Dec 192015

Prius

This month, when leaving for a trip, I noticed the passenger side headlamp was out. I planned on replacing it when I returned. Upon returning, the headlamp has mysteriously come back on. I researched intermittent headlamp problems with my car and found out many others have had the same issue. I'm now not sure if the problem is the headlamp or some circuit.

- Los Osos, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Prius

Started to have issues with right headlight on 2008 Prius starting in 2013 but was not aware of the class action lawsuit. Finally replaced the bulb 10/14 and spent $200 out of pocket to replace bulbs. I'm frustrated because the same headlight went out just nine months later!

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Dec 172015

Prius

The headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius are totally unreliable, have been replaced once, and now I find there was a class action lawsuit - and there should be one again. The dealer does not know what to do. They do not know if the bulbs or the headlight mechanism is flawed. The lights flicker, go out (both or each) unexpectedly, and while driving - this is terrifying. Turns out it is a well known problem and NHTSA has not addressed it fully. Most recent was at the dealer 12/17/2015, flickering, going out, and not properly going to brights. The bulbs cost $188/each. Ridiculous.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Prius

Driver side head light turns on, then flickers and then goes out. I have been stopped twice. Replaced relay ($75) no differance..this happens when starting the car before even putting in gear

- Dayton, TX, USA

Aug 092015

Prius

The headlights intermittently, and without warning, go out. This happens every time the lights are turned on. By quickly turning the lights off and then back on, they have thus-far turned back on. They will remain on for up to ten minutes. The turning off happens whether the car is moving ot not.

- Jacksonville, IL, USA

Nov 202015

Prius

Bought the car in late October and the left front headlight has gone out twice.

- Parkton, MD, USA

Nov 052015

Prius

Left headlight goes out while setting still and while driving. On a ten mile trip the light will go out 6 - 10 times. Turning the light off and back on makes the light to burn again. I have been stopped by the police for this. When I stop I, turn the headlamps off, when they tell me why I was pulled over for I play dumb and they instruct me to turn on my lights and dim them or put on high beam. They are left scratching there head and I'm on my way. This happens every time the vehicle is driven at night. Also happens setting still.

- Chatham, VA, USA

Nov 082015

Prius

My lights have been going off intermittently for a few months now. I went to the dealership for a 12 V battery issue and a couple of recall items, including the hybrid cooling recall issue and the dealer thought this might fix the issue but it has not. What happens is that at any given moment, each and every day/night, when I am driving one or the other headlight will go out. Occasionally both will go out. The only way this is remedied is when I toggle the light switch off and on. Sometimes it takes 2-3 toggles to get the problem to resolve, the suddenly and again, and again the one or the other lights go out. Apparently this is an issue with Toyota Prius's of my year. This happens every time I drive and there is no rhyme or reason. I happens when I am driving. I have tested it to see if happen over bumps and it does not specifically--it just happens when I am driving and several times over. I am not a mechanic though you don't have to be one to see that this kind of issue is not the bulb, because when the bulbs are working they shine brightly. It has to be some other issue with the functioning of the lighting system. This happens on city streets, on highways and when stationary. It happens when I am going straight and turning. It happens and any and all speeds.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Apr 152015

Prius

Right headlight goes out after a few minutes. Have changed ballast and bulb twice, the problem recurred almost immediately both times.

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Oct 302015

Prius

Headlights intermittently flash off with no warning. Can not be repaired. Sometimes both flip off at same time. One goes out (or both) appr. Every 5-10 minutes of driving, or while car is stationary with lights on.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Prius

About two years ago, one of my headlights began to cut out without warning. Now, starting 2 months ago, both of my headlights stop working at the same time without warning, I have had 2 near-misses because of this issue, Toyota, my car manufacturer, refuses to do anything to fix this highly dangerous issue, even though over 200,000 Prius owners have reported the problem. Who knows how many other owners out there who have not reported anything?!

- Glendale, CA, USA

Oct 202015

Prius

Known formally as high-intensity discharge (hid) lights, they either work intermittently making nighttime driving a lot more exciting or fail entirely......updated 12/03/15

- Madison, AL, USA