2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 15 of 26)

Jan 152010

Toyota Prius 2010 - I have experienced irregularities with my brakes since I purchased this car on December 28, 2009. I attributed it to my lack of experience driving a car with anti-lock brakes. However, I now believe that these problems are related to the current investigation of Prius brakes. Two things happen: (1) several times when I place my foot on brake too hard, the car propels forward, (2) under slick conditions and I press the brakes, the brakes take too long to respond and the car continues to move.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Dec 172009

Brakes fail entirely when the car goes over a small bump or crease in the road. Its obvious (now) that the dealership was aware of this and tried to cover it up, as their immediate response was that it was normal and was just the ABS gripping (they didn't even want to write my complaint on my service report), despite my repeated assertions that I am well aware of the difference between ABS gripping and no brakes. Brakes failed on 3 occasions before the vehicle even had 4,000 miles.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 042009

I have a 2010 Prius, which I purchased in August 2009. I noticed when I apply the brakes if I am at a pothole, or uneven road, there is a "slight" pause before the brakes engage and stop the car. This has occurred at least 50 times since I purchased the car.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 122009

On December 12, at approximately 6:15 pm while traveling East bound on I-30 near downtown dallas, I rear ended the car in front of me. I was traveling at approximately 12 mph and the roads were dry. I was not tail gating the car in front of me. The car in front of me was cut off and he immediately hit his brakes. I did the same. My car began to buck and jump and I hit the car in front of me causing over $10,000 worth of damage to my 2010 Toyota Prius. My car was towed and repaired by Toyota of dallas. I reported the incident to the dealership as well as to state farm. The dealership has told me over and over again that there are no problems with the brakes in my vehicle. They claim I must have been traveling too fast or too close to the vehicle in front of me. I was not issued a citation by the sheriff. My air bags did not deploy as I was traveling at approximately 12 mph. I continued to complain to Toyota about the brakes and they sent an engineer to examine my vehicle on Tuesday, February 2 who again told me that there were no issues with my brakes. The very next day, the ntsb began an investigation into the brakes, and this morning, February 4 (2 days after the engineer inspected my vehicle) Toyota announces that there are issues with the braking system in my vehicle. I continue to experience the same issues with my brakes. I am afraid to continue to drive the vehicle.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 152010

2010 Toyota Prius loosing braking power for short period over a bump. Can repeat it consistently over the same area on the street very close to my working place.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 282010

I have a 2010 Prius V vehicle. Every time I approach a stop sign that has a fairly deep transverse rut in the pavement in front of it, my head snaps back as the car lurches forward. This appears to be the momentary loss of braking that is in the news for the 3rd generation Prius. It is extremely happens every time. The date below is only the most recent time I've driven on that road. I have not had an accident.

- Pewaukee, WI, USA

Jun 102009

My 2010 Prius, which was purchased in may has had the very brake issues that are being reported. When a bump is hit, the car jerks forward quite unexpectedly when the brakes are applied. I thought it was just my imagination or that I hit a slick spot, but it has happened many times. The fact that Toyota knew about this and hid it from the first Prius owners is unbelievable. Since they have been fixing it on newer models and did not tell owners of the first ones off the production line T, I think a class action law suit should be undertaken. I am very angry and would like some mechanisms for getting rid of this car, given Toyota's deception.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Sep 012009

So this is regarding the 2010 Prius I recently purchased. I bought the car in August of 2009. The only problem I have is with the brakes. Sometimes when I hit a bump or pothole in the road, and I'm stepping on the brakes, I feel a sudden acceleration even though I do not step on the gas pedal. If I keep my foot on the pedal I will stop eventually, but the sudden onset of acceleration is quite scary. This happens from time to time and I can never predict it.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 262010

Braking system. I notice that as I pull up to a stop sign while driving, I apply the brakes lightly to slow down gradually. I have noticed multiple times that when I hit a bumpy spot or a pothole, the car loses it braking capacity. I mash the brake down harder to slow down if necessary and then it works fine. I don't know if it is related to the car's ability to absorb kinetic energy and recharge the hybrid battery or what. I also noticed one day when it began to snow heavily, the roads were very slippery and I almost skidded off the road as I applied the brakes.

- Roslindale, MA, USA

Jan 152010

We purchased our Toyota 2010 Prius V model in January 9, 2010. During the first week of driving we noticed that if we apply brake while turning left it will skit forward just missing the ditch in our drive way or off shooting in the traffic light crossing the median. These incidents were reported to the local Toyota dealer and the dealer tech informed us that Prius is not in recall and when they test drive they do not find anything wrong. Well, we said that it does not appear every time but it does very often. Their explanation was that it may be because of the snow as it is winter and being Michigan roads not cleared on time.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Sep 012009

Brakes on 2010 Toyota Prius do not work properly when backing up. Dealer checked brakes and could not find a problem.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Feb 042010

I currently own a 2010 Toyota Prius and over the past few month I've noticed a momentary loss in my braking when turning corners or coming to a stop. I'm alittle concern that this might be a degenerative issue that may cause a serious accident at high speeds.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Oct 202009

My 2010 Prius has trouble braking when I'm traveling at slow speeds over uneven or slippery surfaces. It's as if the brakes lose traction/slip. I first reported this problem to Toyota in October 2009. I sent emails and placed phone calls and brought it to the dealership repeatedly. They say they were unable to replicate the problem and can't fix it till they replicate it. They have no solutions for me. I called Toyota today and they said they did not refer my complaint to NHTSA...even though I filed it with Toyota months ago. They say its not their responsibility to share my complaint with the government.

- Washington , DC, USA

Jul 152009

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius. On a daily basis I drive over two separate speed bumps on the steep downhill-incline entrance to my office parking garage, at a low speed (always less than 10 mph). Upon going over each bump, my brakes (which are engaged due to the steep downhill incline) disengage briefly and then re-engage. Sometimes the brakes also momentarily disengage when I am continuing down the ramp in the parking garage, even in the absence of a speed bump. This seems to happen most often when I am turning. Each time the brakes disengage, the car slips and I feel it is not under control. I have tried to avoid these symptoms by keeping my speed extremely low in the parking garage (5 mph), but that only works sometimes. The "date of incident" is really on a daily basis every day I drive into work. This symptom has occurred consistently since I purchased the car in June, 2009 and continues to this day. The brake system I am referring to is the brakes that are activated when I depress the brake pedal while driving.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 132009

Brief braking interruption on wet, uneven pavement. 5 - 6 incidents from Nov through Jan - 2010 Prius bought at the end of Oct 2009.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 012010

Confirmation of brake issue with Prius. Car briefly accelerates on rough patches or going over potholes when using brake. No accidents.

- Stony Brook, NY, USA

Nov 282009

While driving my 2010 Toyota Prius, I notice that at times the car fails to brake adequately. This happens when braking over uneven pavement. The feeling is as if the car speeds up a little. It's disconcerting.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Nov 052009

While driving with cruise control engaged and a situation occurs that requires braking; normal brake pedal pressure does nothing. I have to hit the brakes extra hard which significantly slows reaction time. This problem occurs randomly. When I took the car to the dealer I could not get the problem to repeat.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jan 132010

I have had numerous problems with the brakes on my new 2010 Prius which I purchased a few days before xmas. I have reported two of the episodes with Toyota - the first time the phone rep seemed to listen carefully to my account of what happened - the last time I called the phone rep seemed to blow me off and didn't' ask any follow up questions but said to take it to my local dealer for repairs. This was before the brake issue became known as a widespread problem - the local dealer where I purchased the car told me there were no problems - again this is before the announcement of the potential recall - both times - I was driving slowly and when I put my foot on the B rake it not only didn't stop but actually seemed to jump forward several feet. Fortunately there were no cars in front of me so I did not hit anything. I have also had repeated braking problems when I am backing up- and when I first drive the car after not driving it for an hour or so - just a bare touch of the brake and it stops so hard - the first time I thought I had hit something - the brakes will continue to jerk and jolt me until I start to drive forward - then it seems to correct itself. I have had the car one month - I live in the los angeles area.

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Dec 292009

Several times I have applied the brakes on my 2010 Prius only to feel the car continue to move forward without any feeling of brake engagement... this would last only a short time... perhaps a second... this occurred when trying to stop on bumpy roadway.

- Allison Park, PA, USA