2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 16 of 26)

Dec 282009

2010 Toyota Prius (bought in 10/2009). When going over a recessed manhole cover or pothole while breaking, it feels as if the brake is slipping and the car jerks for a moment. Continued pressure on the brake brings the car to a stop. It has never happened except when going over some obstruction and only when traveling over 20 mph. Going over speedbumps in a parking lot is fine.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jan 042010

I want to complain about the braking problem with my Toyota Prius 2010 which I purchased in November of 2009. On several occasions, about 4 or 5, the brakes don't work when going over a bump hitting a pothole and the car slides forward. This has happened while slowing down at lights and intersections.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 272009

On 8-21-09, I took delivery on a 2010 Toyota Prius hybrid. Since taking delivery, I have experienced intermittent, momentary, unintended acceleration and intermittent, momentary loss of braking. On 1-10-10, I took it in for the 5000 mile maintenance check, but did not tell the dealer my problems, because I thought the car was still in a "breaking in" period and would resolve itself. But when I heard today 2-4-10, that the NHTSA was opening an investigation of the 2010 Prius, I decided to add my complaint to the others. Updated 03/04/10

- Northport, NY, USA

Jan 052010

In early January, when backing our 2010 Toyota Prius out of the garage, the brake pedal became overly-sensitive and began locking the brakes when any pressure at all was applied to the pedal. This went on for about a dozen iterations until the transmission was shifted to drive. At that point the brakes began behaving normally. This has only occurred a single time since purchasing the vehicle in July, 2009.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Dec 172009

Making a left turn at slow rate of speed after encountering minor pothole. A feeling of loss of control of car or braking. Braking did not allow proper trajectory of car in turn, causing car to hit and roll over curb and short shrubbery with right front tire. Tire was flattened, and approximately $7000 damage was done to car frame. No other vehicles involved. Legacy Toyota in tallahassee, fl completed body repairs.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Dec 152009

When I apply the brake in my 2010 Prius if I hit a pothole or speedbump the brakes release and the car takes off.

- Bealeton, VA, USA

Sep 012009

With my 2010 Prius (purchased late Aug 2009), it has exactly the same problem others have described. While going downhill, with the brakes applied, hitting potholes or bumpy road surface causes the car to accelerate. It happens "every so often". it's quite obvious when it happens and clearly a safety hazard. I have taken it into the dealer but the problem is not reproducible every time and they have no official word from Toyota on it.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Driving a brand new 2010 Toyota Prius iv approaching a set of rr tracks. While braking to make a left turn I crossed the tracks. The Prius surged forward and I almost collided with the automobile in front of me.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Aug 252009

My 2010 Toyota Prius has a problem with braking specifically when the car moves on a bumpy or slippery surface, I can feel a pause in the braking and it feels as though I glide a few feet further than I should when I brake the pedal is fully pressed down. This has occurred since I bought the car in August 2009.

- Bennington, NE, USA

Nov 172009

I purchased a 2010 Prius in October, 2009. On several occasions I have been braking and hit a pothole or bump in the road and my vehicle has accelerated momentarily. The first couple of times this happened, it was rather concerning and dangerous, as I was concerned I'd hit the vehicle in front of me. Since then, I attempt to not brake directly over a pothole.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 152009

Toyota Prius 2010. While driving approx 20 mph over a pothole while applying the brakes, I felt what seemed like the brake slip and release temporarily. Although it did not cause an accident, it could have had there been a car closer on the other side of the pothole.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Feb 012010

I have a 2010 Prius. When I am coming to a stop and there is a slope in the road or a pothole, the brakes will momentarily disengage and the car lunges forward. It has happened multiple times. I can predict when it is going to happen based on the bumpiness of the road. And the distance I am from coming to a complete stop.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 052009

Since purchasing my 2010 Prius in October 2009 I have noticed a brief pulsating sensation when applying the brakes over bumping surfaces. The brakes appear not to work for that brief moment when applying the brakes.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Dec 092009

My 2010 Prius brakes skip when going over large bumps or holes making the car surge forward rather than slow. I notice it at a higher rather than lower speeds. I thought it was just me until I heard others having the same problem. It was a daily problem as I go to work the same day and it happened in the same spot so the approx. Incident date below is sorta invalid. In addition, I don't know I checked the correct "brake" section, I just know it's the brakes.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Jan 262009

My 2010 Prius seems to momentarily lurch forward when driving over bumps and braking at the same time. It seems that the brake disengages momentarily and then re-engages. I have not had any accident, and the time of disengagement is very short, but it does scare me a little.

- Pewaukee, WI, USA

Nov 152009

I purchased a 2010 Prius iv in June 2009. I live in the Kansas City area. Beginning in November when the weather turned cold, usually below freezing, I noticed that when I apply my brakes sometimes they will slip just for a fraction of a second. This usually occurs before the car has a chance to warm up but has occurred when the car is warmed up. The brakes will slip when I go over a portion of the road where the pavement is buckled, or there is a depression such as driving over a manhole cover, pothole or construction cut that was not properly filled. The experience is like braking over a small patch of ice. I notified the dealer of this problem in December but didn't make an appointment to have the car inspected. After reading an ap news release on this topic, which described the exact symptoms I am experiencing, I made an appointment for 12 Feb to have the brakes inspected. I don't consider this to be a serious safety issue as I only experience this problem once every few weeks.

- Lansing, KS, USA

Aug 012009

My 2010 Toyota Prius has issues with the braking system at different times, particularly when traveling over bumps, etc. There is a momentary loss of braking control. There have been no accidents but certainly scary to drive. Nothing has been done about the failure. I contacted my dealership as the car is still under warranty and they said all they could do was take my name and number down.

- Lagunitas, CA, USA

Sep 022009

I stepped on my brake and my car kept accelerating.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Nov 222009

I have a Toyota Prius 2010 and it accelerates while braking on several occasions especially while applying brake during cruise control and breaking on going through uneven surface. I called Toyota and they directed me to Toyota dealer where I purchased my Prius. I contacted bennett Toyota in allentown, pa (that is where I purchased my car) and the service manager drove the car on 12/28/2009 with me and he said he couldn't find any problem; he said, he also tested the car for the specifications and the technicians couldn't find any problem with either cruise control or brake.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jan 062010

I bought at 2010 Prius on new year's eve, and since then, on several occasions (probably about 7-8 times) when hitting a pothole, the car feels like it lunges forward, or almost accelerates. Maybe it's just that the brake goes out completely, but it's always when braking for a pothole or dip that my car goes lunging forward. Luckily no accidents or anything have resulted as of yet, but it concerns me. I've been too busy to mention it to the dealer yet, although I did mention it briefly to my salesperson when he did a follow-up call to see how I was doing with the new car. I've made an appt. At my local dealer for Monday to have it looked at, but given the news this morning, I felt I should report it because I've definitely been experiencing what's being reported.

- Venice, CA, USA