2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 11 of 37)

Jan 162010

Loss of braking power (weak braking) when rolling over bumps, pot holes and even cracks in the pavement.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Sep 012009

1.I purchased this 2010 Prius in August 2010. I have experienced unanticipated acceleration two times since the last (initial) service. Once with my husband driving on route 17 and the other time while I was driving on a local road. I stated in my service paperwork when the car was first serviced, there is a problem with the brakes. They do not stop on uneven road surfaces, such as pot holes, bumps, etc. Your service department said that this is caused by the ABS and it is "normal". obviously there is still a problem. Please advise what will be done to correct this issue. 3.when start the engine first thing in the morning (or when the car has not been driven for a while) often, but not always, it makes a grinding noise when starting

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Jan 152010

I have experienced the momentary loss of brakes on my 2010 Prius numerous times under various driving conditions. All of the instances occurred at fairly low speeds and I considered it more of a nuisance or " nature of the beast " than anything else. Once was on a level, dry, residential road approaching a stop sign. Another has happened a number of times at the same spot (a right hand turn onto a residential street - my route home from work ). and a couple of times on snow covered roads ( I actually thought those were very short skids before the ABS engaged)

- Depew, NY, USA

Jan 202010

Brakes either slip or car leaps forward when brakes are engaged and car goes over rough or slippery pavement or a pothole

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Feb 012010

I've been hearing in the news about the potential of a braking issue with the 2010 Toyota Prius. Just wanted to let you know that I definitely noticed this issue in my new Prius. Approximately once a month, when I'm braking over an uneven or slippery surface, especially if it is only one side of the car going over the slippery surface, while I'm braking, there is a moment lasting less than a second where it feels like the brakes disengage. (causes your heart to skip a beat when it happens.) I also noticed a separate quirk the other day that I want to pass on to you. I'm not sure if this was done deliberately by Toyota or whether this is a defect, however, I believe my speedometer is calibrated so that it reads a speed that is 2 mph faster than my actual speed. I noticed this when I went on a trip and used my wife's tom tom, which uses its gps signal to measure the speed of the car. The tom tom is usually spot on in my wife's Acura. In the Prius, it was indicating that my true speed was 2 mph less than what my speedometer indicated. I'm wondering if this wasn't somehow intentionally done by Toyota to get better perceived gas mileage by the driver. Having the car get over the 50 mpg threshold is a big marketing advantage for them. Getting over this threshold would be easier if the actual speed of the car was less than the perceived speed.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 152010

We have twice experienced a brake cut-out, where we are coming to a stop sign with foot on brake and hit a bump/pot hole and the car lurches ahead as though we have temporarily removed our foot from the brake even though we haven't.

- Reston, VA, USA

Dec 152009

Experienced loss of braking while decelerating on a down hill slope with ramp from I-55 North to bayless in St. Louis when hitting a pot hole in the 2010 Prius hybrid. The pothole has since been fixed and have not experienced any problems since.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 252010

All three drivers of our 2010 Prius have repeatedly experienced the following braking problem: If you drive over a bump, pot hole or manhole cover while braking normally at speeds under 25 mph, the brakes feel as if they instantaneously disengage for about 1 second. Normal braking soon returns, but there is a dangerous increase in breaking distance when you need it most. We have identified certain road locations in our area where this problem is repeatable even under dry road conditions. This problem has resulted in a few close calls, but so far, no accidents. However, I am absolutely convinced that a defect such as this will result in some drivers having accidents.

- Springfield, PA, USA

Dec 222009

I was driving from L.a. to roseville ca on I-5 North in my new 2010 Toyota Prius. Because I was driving at night it wasn't very busy and I had the cruise control on at 65 mph. In the distance I saw some cars pushing their brake pedals so I wanted to brake as well a little to 1) deactivate the cruise control, 2) reduce speed. Pushing it very gently, absolutely nothing happened. This scared me and I pushed harder, then my 2010 Prius started braking way more aggressively. I noticed along the way and also after this that this behavior is consequent. While driving on the highway, I cannot use the brake pedal to release the cruise control and diminish speed, because nothing happens when you push the brake pedal gently, it takes a little time before it reacts. I find this disturbing, because in my 2000 Ford crown victory, even the very slightest touch on the brake pedal already causes the cruise control to turn off and very lightly diminish speed. In the Prius in order to achieve this I have to press the brake pedal hard, then after some delay it starts braking fast. In the beginning I thought this is normal for the Prius, but I find it quite disturbing and sometimes scaring. Hence, I must take way more distance to cars ahead of my on the highway, because I cannot brake as fast and stop as soon as the other cars can. Honestly, it is very scary and it makes my feel unsafe while on the highway with the Prius. I am driving my Crown Victoria when I am driving on the highway now a days.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Feb 052010

There was a delay from the time I applied the brakes in my 2010 Prius when driving on slippery, snow covered roads until I could feel them start to slow the car. The ABS system also seemed to act more slowly. I also drove my 1998 Ford Explorer on the same roads soon after driving the Prius. The Explorer ABS system reacted more quickly and definitely stopped more quickly than the Prius.

- Celina, OH, USA

Dec 152009

Coming out of a parking lot downhill... hit a bump... brakes failed and almost sideswiped by oncoming traffic. Hit the brakes a second time and car stopped just in time to avoid a collision. This is the only time we have had this happen... brakes have worked ok rest of time. Nothing done yet to correct the "bump" defect at slow speeds.

- Foresthill, CA, USA

Dec 102009

2010 Toyota Prius hybrid brake problem: Purchased new in October, 2009, my Prius has experienced momentary brake failure while stopping under certain conditions. Specifically, when I hit a bump while braking sometimes it feels like the brakes momentarily release and the car launches forward. This has happened 6 to 10 times since I purchsed the car. I alerted the dealer (bernardi Toyota in framingahm, MA) about 3 - 4 weeks ago, and they were not aware of the problem. No solution has been offered yet.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jan 162010

I purchased a 2010 Prius (which was in stock) on January 8. after hearing about the brake delay problem, I realized that I had had a similar problem. I was traveling at medium speed when I felt the car dip, then shudder. I felt that I had lost control of the car. It felt like it was sliding (as though on ice). Now I realize that I must have put on my brakes, but the car continued to proceed. I had not noticed any problem in the road, and no reason to explain the shuddering. It was all very brief. I have an appointment to see the maintenance people at Toyota grapevine, Texas, on Monday, February 9.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Aug 012009

This is not the same 2010 Prius brake problem being reported regarding transient brake failure. While waiting in gear at a traffic signal with foot on the brake pedal, the pedal slowly sinks all the way to the mechanical stop. However, the car does remain stopped even when the accelerator pedal is briefly tapped. The behavior is repeatable and consistent. Personally verified that there are no external hydraulic leaks. Observed the fluid surface in the brake fluid reservoir while an assistant sank the brake pedal. The surface remained undisturbed, indicating that the master hydraulic piston is not leaky. Took it to the dealer. The sales & service managers observed but reluctantly admitted the behavior, tested it on their computer and declared it acceptable. I tested a second 2010 Prius on their lot and the behavior was identical. Consequences: Having dealt with dealers before, we are unwilling to accept the dealer's reassurance for this seemingly unsafe behavior, and are now compelled to set the parking brake at every waiting stop.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 282010

I have experienced braking problems with my 2010 Prius during the following circumstances, which I have mentioned to my husband and my coworkers when it happened. 1: on my way to work there is a stop sign where I need to make a left turn. Just before the stop sign the road is uneven. When I brake there, I feel a jerk and jump before the car stops. 2: I was on my way to work, on 01/28/2010 when it was snowing lightly, the vehicle speed might have been at the most 5-8 miles/hour. I saw the light turning yellow from 50 feet ahead and I started applying the brake. The road had little slope but the vehicle was not only skidding, but also not stopping and I was praying that it will stop before it goes into the cross road. I am the primary driver for this vehicle and I love this car. But I have experienced from the very beginning that the vehicle doesn't stop quickly when I brake, but always thought that was part of hybrid technology and may be to force the driver maintain some space from the vehicle in the front.

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Feb 052010

Temporary brake failure when braking over potholes or braking in a turn

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Nov 182009

I experience a loss of brakes at least two or three times a day with my 2010 Prius. This happens everytime I press on the brake and hit a bump in the road. I live in new orleans and our roads are notoriously bumpy so I loose my brakes often. This has been happening since I purchased the vehicle back in November. The dealer refused to do anthing about it, saying that it was acting how it was designed. I have never owned a vehicle that looses it brakes when the car hits a bump.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jan 202010

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius; purchased new on 3 Jan., 2010. I now have about 4400 miles. Recently in the news I've heard loss of braking complaints. My complaint is the opposite. Sometimes when traveling very slowly backwards or very rarely slowly forward and I press lightly on the brakes they grab as tho I pressed hard for an emergency stop. This has happened about 10 times. This has yet to occur when traveling at speeds above about 5 mph. This occurs usually when backing and usually when the car is cold. If it happens it usually happens multiple times in just one attempt to back out of a parking spot.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Aug 302009

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius and have experienced the braking problem. When braking with the foot off of the gas pedal, the car will lunge forward with acceleration. It will stop when I hit the brakes harder. This is happening on dry pavement. This has happened on 3 seperate occassions.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Feb 062010

I stepped on break padel on my 2010 Toyota Prius on a bumppy uneven road but the car didn't stop properly and slipped a few feet instead.

- San Antonio, TX, USA