2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 14 of 37)

Feb 022010

Prius

One occasion of failure of brakes for 1-2 seconds on 2010 Prius (over rough road).

- Naples, FL, USA

Prius

2010 Prius braking problem. We thought is was us or the car. We bought in August 2009. My wife almost hit another car on 2/4. slow speed, bumps, the car did not appear to stop while braking, then it finally stopped. I told my wife of problems earlier, but they were periodic.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

This problem seems to occur when I am just beginning to brake or in the middle of braking, if I go over any uneven terrain (I.e. pothole, dips, etc.), the braking system feels like it is giving. It generally only lasts for a second or so, but it is unnerving. I do feel the car lunge forward at this point, and feel that I have no control over my car. I drive in the city on a daily basis, and that was one of the main reasons for me purchasing this car. It is not a comfortable feeling, and it is terrifying to my passengers. When I contacted Toyota, they were very condescending. Made it seem like it is just because the automobile is so advanced and technical, and that is supposed to happen. However, my 2 brothers both have older priuses, and neither have experienced this.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Prius

When braking to a stop at relatively low speeds, if you hit a bump or a pothole, the car stops breaking and lurches forward. This lasts for less than a second before normal braking resumes.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 012006

Prius

Both my 2006 Toyota highlander hybrid and my 2010 Toyota Prius have predictable brake lapses when traveling. I am aware of one site on the way to work, and one on the way home which have predictable surges during braking. I first reported this to my dealer in 2006, who could not replicate the event in the neighborhood near the dealer. The Prius acts exactly the same. For my cars it always occurs when braking on a road at the place where a descend turns into an ascend.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Nov 272009

Prius

Momentary reduction in braking performance while traveling over a bump and applying the brakes.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

My Toyota Prius has a problem with sudden shaking when lightly applying the brakes. The problem is intermittent. The dealer does not know what to do until Toyota gives clear direction.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 162009

Prius

I have owned a 2010 Prius since August 2009. Since the purchase I have put 10,000 miles on the vehicle. To date I have experienced the braking problem on three separate occasions. My husband had one experience. It appears that when the front tires hit an uneven or different surface the brakes will disengage very briefly and then catch when the tires hit even ground.

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Dec 202009

Prius

2010 Prius delayed braking - multiple times.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

While approaching a stop sign and applying my brake, car would not slow down. Pressed harder on brake, wheels locked up and my car slid through the intersection, car stopped when it hit the curve across the street. Approx. 50 feet. I was driving at 10-15 mph when approaching the stop sign. The antilock brakes did not work. There was about 1-2 inches of snow on the road.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Jan 052010

Prius

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius. I have noted that there is a frequent occurrence of the brakes not working properly especially going over rough road (ie railroad tracks). The car appears to skid but the anti locks brake light does not come on like it does when the anti lock brakes are working. This is an anxious situation as it feels like the brakes are not going to be able to stop the vehicle. It creates anxiety and a need to apply more foot pressure to control the car.

- Blaine, WA, USA

Oct 052009

Prius

2010 Prius VIN brakes will delay and grab at times. Are family got two 2010 Prius Aug 2009 and both have this same problem. Delay and grabbing problem.

- Lodi, CA, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius in Sept 2009. Since then, I have had 3 or 4 instances where the brakes let go momentarily as mounting reports are similarly describing. Each instance has occurred at roughly the same place on my drive home from my child's day care, where the road is slightly uneven and sloping down, as I am breaking for a stop sign. Since this is a residential area, I am not driving fast to begin with (<20 mph), and the brakes only let go for 1-2 seconds. Prior to hearing all of these other reports, I had not thought to file my own and for that I apologize. My feeling is that unless this issue is corrected somehow by Toyota, these instances will continue, and I do see potential for an accident.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Prius

My husband and I bought a 2010 Toyota Prius in November 2009. We both have noticed a sort of jerky feeling while braking over a small bump or pothole but we didn't think much of it until last night when I was driving home with my children. I was driving down a residential area at about 30 miles/hr. And was slowing down to stop at a red light. While I was braking I hit a medium sized pot hole. My car just leapt forward about 10 feet. I had my foot on the brake firmly the entire time but the car would not stop. Finally my car came to a stop. I was very shaken by this incident. If there was a car in front of me I would have totally rearended them. I came home and immediately called the Toyota dealership. I left a message with the service department. My call was returned by the manager this morning. She said that she had not heard anything from Toyota about any brake issues and then she asked me whether I was speeding! she did not seem to believe me and basically said that there was nothing that they could do.

- Andover, MA, USA

Jan 162010

Prius

Toyota Prius anti-lock braking issue has happened 3 times in our 2010 Prius as described in media reports. It happens on slippery surfaces when the anti-lock brakes kick in, there is a split second of hesitation before they do. It causes a pretty good adrenalin rush for the driver.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Oct 062009

Prius

Momentary loss of braking on a 2010 Prius model iv. Vehicle was purchased on the 30th of September 2010 and currently has 3460 miles. During the first week of operation the brakes did not seem to work correctly. We thought this might be do to the fact that the car was new and the brakes need to be used as a brake in period. We notified the dealership during the second week of operation. They indicated that this was the first concern they have received. They stated that when we bring it in for the first 5000 mile service they would check the brakes. Since the momentary loss of braking did not happen that often and only on bumpy roads or over speed bumps we were not too concerned.I did call the dealership again on 2/4/2010 and the service department stated they had not received any information on correcting the problem. What was interesting is that a person in the service department who owns a 2006 Prius stated that the problem has been around for years but is much more noticeable in the 2010 model.. Toyota has assigned a case number to our complaint ( 1002108541 ). no accident to date but driving the vehicle should not include worrying whether or not the brakes will stop in time.

- Rockaway, NJ, USA

Nov 182009

Prius

Brake failure while going over speed bumps. Sometimes on flat surfaces.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Jan 262010

Prius

I have 2010 Prius. Lost control of the car a few seconds a few times especially in uneven down roads and slow or slippery roads. It jumps (move forward) a few feet, before it stops, even I apply the brake. I felt that brakes didn't work during the period.

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Aug 102009

Prius

We own a 2010 Toyota Prius which we purchased in June of 2009. On six different occasions we have experienced braking problems. One incident was on ice and when the brake pedal was pressed the response was as if there were no brakes at all and the vehicle slid freely for a brief moment. The other five incidents involved braking on a rough surface when approaching a stop sign (3 different locations). In these cases, when the brake was pressed the car did not begin to stop immediately. In fact I got the feeling that the car had been "hit from the rear" and I jerked back into my seat a little and felt that the car floated ahead before it began to stop. This all happened very quickly. I tried to replicate the situation and was successful once. In all but one of my experiences with this dilemma, the road was on a slight downward slope approaching the stop signs. There seems to be a certain speed that is needed for it to happen. Toyota examined the brakes and said they were ok. Obviously, they are not.

- Bolivar, MO, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

The brakes on my 2010 Toyota Prius momentarily quit working while driving over rough surfaces such as potholes, railroad tracks or very uneven pavement. This causes the vehicle to surge forward unexpectedly under braking.

- Little Rock, AR, USA