2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 20 of 37)

Jan 122010

Several times since I purchased my 2010 Toyota Prius on Dec. 23rd 2009, I've experienced momentary loss of brake control while braking. It happens for like a split second then return to normal. I haven't noticed any connection between when it happens and rough road surfaces.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Jan 042010

2 weeks after purchasing a 2010 Prius (December 2009) I was slowing down to make a turn and while braking I hit a small pothole in the road my car lunged forward. At first I thought I had been rear-ended but looked and saw that the nearest car was a good 20 feet behind me. The same thing happened to me again last week (week of February 1). This time I was braking for a stoplight when the car hit a bump in the road and again lunged forward. The lunging is quick but very noticeable. I have changed my driving habits in the hopes that I won't rear-end someone. I have not called in to the dealership about this but did fill out a satisfaction survey from Toyota yesterday that I got due to the purchase of the car and included these problems in that survey.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Momentary brake failure on 2010 Prius, has occurred on numerous occasions.

- Colts Neck, NJ, USA

Feb 032010

2010 Prius when driven over pothole while braking seems to surge forward until the wheels have passed the pothole. Then brakes seems to catch and perform normally.

- Somerville, MA, USA

Feb 022010

While approaching a stop sign at a particular intersection with a bump and pothole just before the stop area at approx 30mph, car momentarily loses braking power when passing over bump and pothole. I can replicate this issue every time I approach this intersection, and it has happened several times since we bought the car in 8/09. Problem was reported to dealer in September, and we were told there was no issue with the brakes on the vehicle.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Aug 012009

Prius 2010, purchased July, 2009, dch Toyota, mamaroceck, NY. Braking problems since purchase: Brakes disengage, car jumps, steering wheel needs to be controlled - while going over a bump, pothole or ice. In order to accommodate to this defect I must drive car carefully and slowly. This occurs regularly on routine drives in the metropolitan area.

- Riverdale, NY, USA

Dec 092009

My 2010 Prius won't stop on rough or iced up roads.

- River Hills, WI, USA

Oct 302009

I bought a 2010 Prius in October 2009. I brought the Prius back to the dealer, stevenson Toyota, for a problem that would occur when the vehicle brake was completely depressed and the traction control light would come on. I also mentioned that when I would hit a bump or drive on ice, it did not seem that the vehicle would stop properly and that when hitting a bump, the vehicle would seem to "lurch forward". the dealer said this was a safety aspect of the vehicle and was normal operation. A few weeks later, I called the dealer again to reiterate my concerns about the braking problem and the lurching forward when hitting a bump, they again repeated that it was a safety measure new on the 2010 Prius models. Now that the recall is out, I am skeptical on the validity of their statements saying that it was a new 2010 safety feature. My wife who also drives the vehicle does not feel safe driving in the snow because of the feel of the brakes when attempting to stop. I bought the car for her but now drive it more because she does not fee safe in the vehicle.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 062009

I have noticed an issue with the brakes in my 2010 Prius (iv) purchased in late August 2009 from wellesley Toyota in wellesley, MA. I have noticed an odd pulsing in the brakes, much like the feeling of alb system kicking in. The car seems to continue moving right through my braking. I sometimes have to then slam the brakes to make the car stop. This is usually taking place as I am slowing to a stop sign or light -- and frequently when I'm going downhill. I had thought it had something to do with the switch between gas & electric powering but I can't be sure of that.

- Holliston, MA, USA

Jan 202010

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius, purchased in October of 2009. I contacted the dealer about slippage when braking and they were not helpful. When the brakes are applied, the car does not stop but feels like it is slipping and you need to reapply the brakes. I contacted Toyota about this problem and they did not respond. I have now recontacted the dealer and they told me to wait to hear back from them. They have not offered to loan me a car until this problem is resolved. I am deeply disappointed by Toyota and the dealership.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Feb 032010

On Feb. 3, 2010 the brakes in my 2010 Prius failed on sudden application and the pedal went all the way to the floor. I swerved right to an open lane, reapplied the brakes and this second application was successful and slowed the car. Event took place going 47 mph on crest of hill when car in front braked suddenly, and I went from acceleration to sudden braking. Prior to this experience I had made two complaints to my local dealer because the brakes occasionally grabbed violently when I was backing out of a parking space. The dealer could not replicate this action, so I just put up with it. The dealer now has my car and has provided a rental car at my request.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Feb 032010

We have a new 2010 Toyota Prius type iv that my wife drives. Several times now she has experienced problems with the braking system; when she applied the brakes the car lunged forward and then she had to apply the brakes really hard in order to get it to stop. This occurred several time upon hitting a bump, but it has also occurred on a smooth surface road. We obtained this new car in September 2009; so the frequency of this problem is pretty high. We understand that others are experiencing this same problem... we would like to confirm and complain that we too are experiencing these same problem with our Prius. We have called the local car dealer where we purchased the vehicle, they are unaware of this problem and offered to do noting about it. We also tried to call the Toyota experience center but the 800 number was over run with calls and stated that they could not process our call due to high call volume. At this point I am very concerned for the safety of those in the car and those who may be struck should we experience this problem at a critical moment in stopping the vehicle.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jan 052010

I like many others have had skidding and non-responsiveness when I hit the brakes on the 2010 Prius.

- Westbury, NY, USA

Nov 272009

2010 Toyota Prius - purchased in Nov 2009. Car jumps forward when applying brake.

- Glen Gardner, NJ, USA

Aug 012009

Brakes sporadically grab and make smooth braking impossible. These are unexpected and intermittent. It occurs maybe ten percent of my trips. Consequences are jolting stop. Nothing allegedly can be done to correct the failures.

- Greenough, MT, USA

Jan 012010

I have a 2010 Prius, which has experienced the brake delay problem that I read about in the news today. It has happened approximately 3 times since I purchased the car in November 2009. I pressed on the brake, and the car did not slow immediately. Each time there was a momentary delay, which frightened me.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 282009

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius in September. I have noticed that during the first few minutes of driving after the car has been started, if I go over a speed bump the car is much more difficult to brake to a stop. After the car is warmed up, this issue goes away. There is a speed bump I have to go over on my way home from work and have experienced the problem consistently.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Aug 012009

2010 Toyota Prius purchased on July 31, 2009. Between 10 and 12 times since purchase date, when applying the brakes simultaneously with driving over a bump or rough section of road, the car felt as though it was accelerating rather than braking. This lasted for one second or less but was frightening. The first time I thought it was my imagination but it occurred another 10 times or so. It always occurs when going over a bump. As far as I can recall, the pavement was always dry. Fortunately, there was no accident in any of these occurrences.

- Lutherville, MD, USA

Dec 202009

When traveling forward over uneven, bumpy pavement, pot holes, or speed bumps and applying the brakes at the same time the car suddenly accelerates very strongly. The acceleration happens even though you are pressing on the brake pedal and your foot is completely off the accelerator. The sudden acceleration is so strong that it nearly jerks the steering wheel out of your hand. This incident has happened once when my wife was driving the car and three times when I have been driving. It almost feels like the brakes stop working for a second or two and the car accelerates by itself. When it happens it is quite startling. I took the car to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be looked into.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jan 172010

I have a new 2010 Toyota Prius that I bought in Dec 2009. I did experience something that sounds similar to the brake problem now being investigated - a momentary loss of brake power while going over a potholed/bumpy patch of road. It was just for a moment and no accident resulted, but I am worried now that the problem might not have just been a random fluke. Separately, I had another strange incident with the car. Backing out of a parking space, I had not yet hit the accelerator but the car immediately jumped backwards as though I had hit the gas hard. The only way prevent it from bucking backwards was to hit the brake. I had to sort of jolt out of the parking space because there was no in between of normal/slow acceleration. Once I got out of the space and put the car into drive, it was accelerated normally.

- Lafayette, CA, USA