2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 24 of 37)

Jan 272010

Prius

I have noticed the temporary loss of braking in my brand new 2010 Toyota Prius purchased in December 2009. When braking on uneven ground, if you hit a pothole in the road the car lurches forward and it feels like you hit the accelerator. Please encourage Toyota to address this issue.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Feb 042010

Prius

The following describes exactly the problem: ".... momentary loss of braking capability while traveling over an uneven road surface, pothole or bump." I've had this happen several times since I purchased my Prius in Nov 2009, most recently this morning on the way to work (going down hill!) on the road. I've never hit anyone or anything but the risk of that happening is there and must be addressed with a recall & repair.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 092009

Prius

2010 Prius with ABS problem. On uneven surfaces (I.e. potholes) or icy roads I have not had 3 events where the brakes were not effective. One situation was so bad and almost caused a serious accident under snow/icy conditions that I brought the car to Toyota immediately. I have a service record of that in mid December 2009. The service department kept my vehicle for a couple days and did icy road testing but never fully recreated the situation. I have documentation from the service department on this despite their not acknowledging a problem. I have a lot of recollection of the details leading up to the 3 scenarios that have occurred now and can likely give good insight. Btw, from the stories I read today in the press I think Toyota (and the stories) have the problem mostly described. I still have other concerns based on my experiences from the 3 events.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jan 302010

Prius

On my 2010 Toyota Prius II (purchased 9/30/2009, I have noticed on multiple occasions that while I am braking, if I hit a pothole, bump or rough pavement of some type, the braking suddenly releases for half-A-second or a second. I am maintaining pressure on the brake pedal but with a bump, it stops braking momentarily. Because I tend to give myself a lot of room to brake, none of these incidents has led to an accident, but it is very disconcerting.

- Takoma Park, MD, USA

Dec 202009

Prius

I have experienced braking issues with a 2010 Prius purchased in July '09. While braking on ice or snow when first depressing the brake pedal for light braking nothing happens, no braking. When then depressing the brake pedal more firmly braking then starts suddenly but more aggressive than desired. This problem occurs on ice or snow only but I have not driven on extreme washboard or gravel roads. I have had the experience more than once and have begun to anticipate it happening regularly on ice or snow.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Sep 132009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The vehicle lunged forward and accelerated while the contact was driving approximately 20 mph and attempting to engage the brake pedal. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer who confirmed that it responded normally since the electrical engine switched over to the gasoline engine. The contact observed that the malfunction occurred continuously. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

I am the owner of a 2010 Toyota Prius purchased new on January 21, 2010. Car has about 400 miles on the odometer. On February 2, 2010 while attempting to stop at a stop sign, traveling at a slow rate of the speed, the brakes failed to stop the car. After several attempts to apply the brakes, they finally stopped the car narrowly missing cross traffic. The pavement was smooth and speed was less than 25mph.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Aug 052009

Prius

I own a 2010 Prius purchased in July 2009. I have also (regularly) felt a surge forward when braking and hitting a bump or pothole. Based on my readings of chat boards I thought this was normal, although it is quite alarming when it happens. I'm not confident that my local Toyota dealer would be entirely honest; when I was in for service during the floormat brake recall I overheard a service manager telling a customer it was nothing to worry about; it was only when people put non-manufacturer's floormats on top of the Toyota ones that there was a problem (which is not my understanding). I'd like to be kept informed of the status of the investigation if at all possible. I'll put in early August as the "incident date" but it happens regularly (at least once a week?)

- Concord, MA, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

I have had my 2010 Prius for about 45 days, and on three occasions while traveling over bumpy surfaces and very firmly applying the brakes, I noticed a lack of stopping power for about half a second right after I hit a bump. They weren't tiny bumps, but they weren't craters either. The traction of my tires did not seem to be impaired. It felt like the brakes just let off for a fraction of a second.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 192009

Prius

I've experience braking problems with my 2010 Prius. As others have reported I too have had at least a dozen incidents in which I am applying the brakes and there is either a bump in the road or more often a pothole. Usually this has been when I was approaching a stop sign and braking moderately. The experience is such that the brakes seem to disengage at the time in which I hit the pothole or bump and the car lurches forward for just a split second. To me it feels like going over an ice patch and the sensation is similar to hydroplaning as well. This has not caused any accident but does contribute to a feeling of lose of control and causes you to possibly stop a little later than you intended to. I have 10,000 miles on this car and have had it since August 2009. I also experience another braking issue. Sporadically when I start the car and the engine has not come one and the car is only using battery, the brakes seem to have no play in the pedal. The car starts to move and when I tap the breaks they just lock with a thud and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I then re step on the brakes and they work properly and feel normal. This usually happens in my driveway or parking lots and my first reaction is that I hit something because the car slams to a stop.

- El Sobrante, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2010. Problem reported to dealer 12-18-2010. Brakes become inoperative when passing over uneven surfaces, vehicle also at this time vehicle lurches forward. This occurs frequently. Contrary to your form requirements there is no one "approximate incident date". shifter sometimes is difficult to put into neutral, rather it will instead go from drive to reverse. If there is also a sudden acceleration problem, this could be a big problem when trying to regain control.

- Needham, MA, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

Brakes on 2010 Prius sometimes are "jerky". the pedal feels different and I require less or more pressure to get the car to brake. Occasionally when I press the brake the car jerks to a stop instead of a slow, controlled stop. I have been driving for over 20 years & the feeling is similar to how I felt in learning to drive when I didn't know how much pressure to use on the brake pedal. Bought car in October 2009 - problem noted about 10 times since that date.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

Prius 2010 "skidded" at slow speed on cold roadway twice. Just purchased the car in October.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius (model V) in August 2009 and have had issues with the brakes ever since then. When driving on rough or uneven pavement, if I depress the brake to slow down, the car seems to skid or almost shoot forward instead of braking. The end result is that instead of immediately stopping, the car ends up sliding for about a second before stopping, which could obviously lead to an accident given the extra distance the car is traveling instead of braking immediately. After this happened repeatedly on a street near my home in san francisco, I took the car to the Toyota dealer from which I bought it on November 24, 2009 (city Toyota in daly city). After evaluating the car overnight, they gave me a written report (a copy of which I'm happy to provide) and told me that it had something to do with the antilock brakes but said it was a "normal characteristic of [the] vehicle." Note that while they were looking at my Prius, they gave me another loaner 2010 Prius (model III) and that car had the exact same issue (also noted on their written report). After listening to the news and seeing an article this morning where Toyota admitted there were braking issues with 2010 Prius cars made before January 2010, I became extremely concerned about the safety of my car and potential for an accident. I also understand that there are over 100 complaints for the same issue and want to add my experience to that list to ensure that Toyota does a proper recall of my 2010 Prius to fix the issue. I'm also extremely annoyed that I was told by a dealer that this was a "normal" condition only to find out now that it's absolutely not normal and that there are a significant number of individuals that have experienced the same problem, some of which have caused accidents. I just want the problem corrected.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 132010

Prius

I have a 2010 Prius and am also having brake problems. The brakes intermittently seems to slip for a couple seconds. It seems to happen at low speeds, on hills, and in the middle of the time I am pressing on the brake. It has happened both while continuously pressing the brake and also as I ease off the pressure on the brake. The behavior is occasional, but recurring.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 292010

Prius

Momentary loss of braking when passing over bump in road while braking for stop light. Third time I have personally witnessed this momentary loss of braking.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Aug 242009

Prius

We took this statement from the NHTSA press release with today's date, which is a 100% accurate description of our problem: "momentary loss of braking capability while traveling over an uneven road surface, pothole or bump" this is not a one-time event as we've noticed it happening numerous times since purchasing the Prius in August 2009. The hesitation we've experienced usually occurs when driving down a steep hill or passing over a pothole.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

Whenever I hit a bump while applying brakes on my 2010 Toyota Prius, the brakes stop working for a short interval (about a second). I first noticed this issue about two months ago while driving to a doctor appointment. There was a small, unavoidable pothole about 200 feet before a traffic light. The light had turned red, and I was braking as I hit the pothole. To my surprise, my Prius lurched forwarded nearly hitting the car in front of me. Fortunately, the brakes re-engaged as I attempted to brake harder. I have had to travel that same road 3X a week for the past two months, and the problem is consistent and occurs every time I hit that bump when braking. I have since noticed it at other times, always when I hit a bump and am braking. The braking lag is substantial enough to have almost caused me to get in an accident on several occasions. The bumps that have triggered it have not been anything outside of what is very common to driving. I have called the dealership, and they acknowledge that there is no repair offered at this time (but claim that they expect one in a few weeks). They have offered me a rental car for a few weeks.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Feb 042010

Prius

My current 2010 Prius has the "jump" issue with the brakes, but this is not the first time that this has happened with the Prius. My 2002 Prius had the same issue, and I was not the only one. I was a member of a Prius yahoo group, and this was a topic of discussion for a while. So while I do feel the "jump" I just thought it was part of the Prius experience. Whenever I drive over a pothole, it feels like the car is trying to jump it. When hitting the brakes, it feels like there is acceleration for just a second. This is not an intermittent problem. It happens every time.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 312010

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius lurches when going over a rough patch of road while I'm using the brakes. There is a particular patch of road near my home where this has happened repeatedly.

- San Mateo, CA, USA