2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 25 of 37)

Feb 042010

When slowing to a red light on md 212 at us rt 1 in beltsville, md, my 2010 Toyota Prius rolled over a bumpy stretch of road and the regenerative brakes stopped braking. The car rolled forward in "free wheel" fashion until I stomped on the brakes hard at which point the friction brakes kicked in and stopped the vehicle in time to avoid an accident with the vehicle in front of me. The traction control indicator lamp lit, and remained lit until I released the brakes to accelerate when the light turned green. Seems to be the same problem everyone is reporting in the news this morning. I've had the car 1.5 weeks, and this is the first time I've noticed the problem, although my wife claims it happened to her during our test drive.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 012009

I have noticed an issue with the brakes not working for a second when I am going downhill in the parking garage, and going over a speed bump, when I go over the bump while the brakes are slightly pressed, it momentarily loses braking after going over the bump. I think it is an issue with switching from regenerative braking, to regular mechanical braking. I am able to repeat the issue consistently in one location in a parking structure that I park in. I noticed it around Oct 2009 and have been noticing it since then.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Aug 202009

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius. When I am braking and I happen to hit a bump in the road, my car lurches forward while my foot is on the brake. I have not had an accident, but it has been close a couple of time. This began happening almost immediately after I bought the car. I bought it in July 2009. Incidents occurred between August 2009 and continue through the present. P.S. I don't know what type of brakes they are: Air, hydraulic or electric - I just picked one.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 202009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph and engaging the brake pedal, the vehicle briefly accelerated on its own and the brakes malfunctioned. The failure has occurred 10 times since the vehicle was purchased. The dealer was contacted and they stated that was a safety feature. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 4826.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Oct 012009

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius purchase in 9/2009. When I slow down to stop and go over a bump it feels as thought the power breaks go out and the vehicle surges forward. This has occurred since we purchased the vehicle. The original explanation was that we just need to get used to the transition from gasoline power to electric power. However, I don't feel that is sufficient as it is a very dangerous surge.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 152009

Our 2010 Toyota Prius has experienced the loss of brake action, or the sensation of speeding up, when going over a bump, occasionally around corners and on uneven surfaces.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Jan 092010

I have a new gen III 2010 Prius II and have noticed that when braking the car seems to surge forward before decelerating when I hit a series of bumps or a pothole. It is un-nerving in that even at slow speeds like when coming to a stop at a stop light, the car wants to continue forward with an uncontrolled burst. I have changed my driving slightly to give my self move stopping room, but sometimes there is a series of bumps in the road and it just happens. I have 10,000 miles on the vehicle and this has happened about 8 to ten times to me, usually when I'm not expecting anything to happen but a slow braking stop. As an incident date is requested, I am putting in just one of the dates that this occurred, I have not kept a record of the days, travel conditions, or times that the incidents occurred. This happens everytime my wife drives over a particular set of train tracks near where we live. Also this of course has happened over time and the mileage given is actually from the day we got it till now, this is an on going event.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jul 022009

My 2010 Toyota Prius was purchased in July 2009. When I try to brake on a bumpy road the brakes fail and the car actually momentarily accelerates.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jan 012010

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While approaching a driveway at speeds under 10 mph and making a left turn, the brakes failed momentarily. Within seconds the brakes became to function normally. The dealer was notified and the contact is awaiting repairs. The failure and current mileages were under 200.

- Rancha Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Jul 222009

2010 Toyota Prius. Car seems to surge forward when braking on rough pavement such as potholes. Also happened once on a wet day when a front wheel slipped on the painted stop line before an intersection. We took delivery of the car in June 2009 and the first incident was in July 2009.

- Newton, MA, USA

Nov 152009

On three occasions, my 2010 Prius "leapt forward" when I drove over a man-hole cover. I have read the description of the braking issue on the 2010 Prius and it sounds exactly like my experience. It only lasts for a fraction of a second, but it is quite frightening when it happens.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jan 172010

TL- the contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. Whenever the contact drives the vehicle at any speed and travels over and bump or a pot hole the contact noticed that the brakes will momentarily disengage and then return to normal. The vehicle has not been diagnosed and the contact has noticed the failure since the day the vehicle was purchased. The current and failure mileages were 5500. Bml

- Newton, MA, USA

Dec 092009

When driving my car the brakes don't always seem to respond immediately. Occasionally, but no always, the car will fail to brake when pedal is depressed and seems to move forward faster before finally braking. It is sporadic and when I first asked a dealership they said I was just unaccustomed to Prius braking systems and that over time I would become more familiarized. This has happened several times and each time the vehicle was at a low velocity = 35mph.

- Salem, NH, USA

Aug 132009

Loss of braking capability on rough surface or bumps.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Feb 032010

2010 Toyota Prius. Brakes would not work at low speed when approaching an intersection covered with sand/ gravel from recent snow abatement work. Car rolled through stop sign.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Nov 072009

I bought a 2010 Prius V on 10-31-09. On several occasions, I have experienced the temporary loss of braking now making news. I've noticed it at least a half dozen times on snowy or icy roads. Mistakenly attributing the zero slowing to being on black ice, I pumped the brakes. The brakes immediately took effect and slowed the car. The immediate response upon pumping the brakes, plus the number of times this has happened in just the handful of times I've driven on slick roads, tells me it wasn't black ice at all. Please do something about this. Thanks.

- Slc, UT, USA

Aug 102009

This is in reference to my 2010 Toyota Prius which has on several occasions exhibited the momentary loss of braking when the pedal is depressed and I hit a bump. This has occurred three separate times since July of 2009 when I purchased a new Prius from sunrise Toyota in oakdale NY.

- Bayshore, NY, USA

Feb 042010

2010 Prius braking issue. I have felt the loss of braking while going over potholes atleast 4 times since I have owned my 2010 Prius since last year.

- Islip, NY, USA

Dec 012009

When braking at slow speeds and on bumpy roads, the car will surge forward a bit rather than stop as expected.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Oct 012009

Problem vehicle: 2010 Toyota Prius purchased in September 2009. When foot is on or off brake at speeds < approx 45 mph, and a large bump/pot hole/etc is traversed, the brakes fail for about a second (which feels like an uncontrolled acceleration). For that second the car is uncontrolled. This has happened at least 15 times since September 2009. This is especially dangerous is sudden braking is required or road conditions are hazardous.

- Washington, DC, USA