2010 Toyota Prius engine problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 112016

Excessive oil consumption. The car is consuming 1 quart of oil every 1,200 miles and has failed an oil consumption test performed by the dealer.

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Aug 092016

Toyota refuses to provide any documentation or tsb explaining why 2010- 4 cyl. (2zrfxe) sc20hr11 90919-01253 was superseded by sc16hr11 90919-01275 spark plug

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 202016

Oil warning system came on 4-20-16. Oil change not due for another 1000 miles. Garage changed oil at 95188 miles. Less than 4 months later on Aug. 9,2016, oil warning system came on. I watched as 3 quarts of oil were added at mileage 99712, 4524 miles later. Prius is using 1 quart of oil for every 1500 miles.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 132016

Over the past three weeks I have noticed the check major system light flickering when turning to the left or right or coming to a sudden stop. I took my car in for the 80,000 mile check and told the service technician what I had seen. He told me he could tell me what the issue was without looking at the car. He said the car was burning excessive oil, the issue has been reported to Toyota and he would file a case with them for me. He also told me the cost was about $3000 to fix the problem, that I may or may not hear back from Toyota about this. When they finished servicing my car the technician told me they had added extra oil to top it off. This is the first Toyota I have owned. I bought it new and have never had an issue with it. I have taken it in for every maintenance check. I was disappointed that Toyota knows about this issue and has done nothing to notify owners of the issue.

- Stanley, NC, USA

Feb 242016

Excess oil consumption at 93,000 miles. The Toyota dealer has told me that it will cost $13,000 to replace the engine and that is my only option.

- Richland, WA, USA

May 042016

Used 2 qts of oil for every 1500 miles. There are no leaking of oil found under engine

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jun 022016

I have had our pruis for a while now and I loved the car. Now the car is a nightmare and a danger. The engine is burning oil at an alarming rate and couldn't figure out why. We are having to put oil in it every couple of days. It did stall once, so I checked everything I could and then noticed there was hardly any oil on dip stick after change oil a couple of days before. The dealership doesn't tell you anything about the hazardous or recalls for the car. They just tell you to get another oil change. Its recommended every 3,000-5,000 miles but every 1,000 miles is ridiculous plus extremely expensive if you add it up. We cant afford to have the engine rebuilt either. Toyota needs to do something about this problem. I cant believe they know of the problem and don't care about their customers' safety. I also read some other complaints and issues with the oil burning off causing harmful gases. My wife was back and forth to the doctor for throat issues. I believe it was the car all long, hundreds in doctor bills for their lack of humanity. So here we go again, another visit to the dealership. I want this problem fixed by Toyota. We might have to take legal action.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 132016

2010 Toyota Prius suddenly lost power while driving at speed. My wife was able to pull over, and after a few minutes the car again appeared to be operating normally. This has now happened twice while driving on an interstate. After the first occurrence the Toyota dealership said they could find no computer codes that indicated any problem. Now it's six months later, and the same thing happened again.

- Dryden, NY, USA

May 012015

The engine is burning oil at an alarming rate: Over a quart in less than 1200 miles. The problem began before the odometer turned 100,000 miles.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While driving 45 mph and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be pulled over. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Feb 102016

Car is burning excessive amounts of oil. Dealer told me (over phone) that triangle was from taking corners too fast (dealer has since said this was inaccurate info). Oil change for life (every 10K miles) at dealer and no one has ever notified me that car is using oil. 6,000 miles after last oil change, over 3 1/2 quarts of oil used. I nearly locked up the engine. Car is not leaking oil. Car sometimes smells of oil after starting. Toyota has extended warranty for certain models for this same problem, but not for Prius. My car has 117,000 miles and this problem has been going on for at least the last 25,000 miles (based upon orange warning triangle). According to dealer, problem is with rings (which is the recall for other Toyota cars). Also, according to dealer, this is a real problem for other Prius owners with 100,000+ miles. I consider this very dangerous to safe operation of vehicle and fumes from burnt oil.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Dec 012015

Burning oil issue. Front head light short circuit or burned out. Leather seat separated twice.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jan 142016

I along with an alarming amount of others have experienced the 2010 Prius begin to burn oil at an alarmingly high rate around 60-80K miles. This is accompanied with an emission into the cabin of noxious fumes during high oil burn rate (heavier acceleration) moments. We have all been told by the dealerships that this is "normal". this has led to burning over a quart of oil every 1000 miles, headaches from the fumes, and now I have found out there is substantial soot buildup in the engine resulting from the oil burning requiring very costly repairs. Toyota refuses to do anything to help or even acknowledge the costly issue.

- Latexo, TX, USA

Dec 252015

Check hybrid system car shuts off and can not restart, tried system reset per manual but would not clear hybrid. Towed to dealer, dtc code P3004-800, tech said this was the only code, had recall eoe reflash 04-14-2014 ipm extended 15 years. Car was in motion per wife. (it had been raining) the dtc P3004-800 power cable malfunction

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Dec 132015

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The check engine and general warning lights illuminated. The contact coasted over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump failed and needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 12V536000 (engine and engine cooling, hybrid propulsion system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Brighton, MA, USA

Nov 012015

My Prius is burning an excessive amount of oil. More than a quart every 1000 miles.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Sep 012015

My car is consuming about 1 quart of oil every thousand miles, sometimes even more. I have always got the oil replaced in a very timely manner and with only around 118,000 miles on it, this is very troubling. My dealership is aware of this problem and they have charged me upwards of $4,000 to replace the head gasket and the oil pan gasket saying it would solve the problem, which it didn't. they did the oil compression check with no sign of where the oil was going as there were no additional leaks according to them. They refuse to think this is a problem, which I think is a blatant lie. They know that this shouldn't be the case and want me to get the engine rebuilt for an additional $4,500, which is ridiculous for a car with such low mileage. I want Toyota to fix this problem now. I am very concerned about my safety as I have to constantly keep adding oil, which is wrong!

- Harrisburg, OH, USA

Oct 272015

2010 Toyota Prius, 84,000 miles: Experienced loss of oil, took to dealer who topped off and asked me to return. Returned at 85,790 miles after further loss of oil (down two quarts). The Toyota mechanic had to call Toyota, who stated they knew of the problem. The PCV sticks open, resulting in oil being sprayed where it doesn't belong. Repair, which includes replacement of several parts, estimated at $629. The Toyota service tech was not confident the repair would not be needed again, and blamed use of ethanol in gasoline as the culprit. However, ethanol has been in use since well before this model was released on the market. Toyota knows it has a problem, but has not issued a recall.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Oct 212015

Resolution to excessive oil use: Switch from factory recommended 0W-20 full synthetic to mobile 1 high mileage 5W-30 full synthetic.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Feb 272015

On February 27, 2015, our house burned in the middle of the night while we were asleep. The fire started in the near vicinity of the right front headlight of the 2010 Toyota Prius. The car had been serviced just before the fire on February 25, 2015 at the local Toyota dealership. The car was off at the time and the key was not in the car at the time of the fire. While we were sleeping, the car evidently caught fire spontaneously at approximately 2 a.M. while it was parked in the garage. The garage door was closed. By the time we woke up, the garage was fully engulfed in flames. We were able to escape the fire. However, our house was too severely damaged (fire, smoke and water) after the fire to be livable, and it is currently being rebuilt. Our family of four (husband, wife and two children, 15 and almost 11 years old) is currently living in a rental house. We lost all three of our cars (the other cars were a Dodge durango and a Honda Accord) and a majority of our possessions. Damages are estimated to be likely in excess of $500,000 including house, cars, damage to landscaping, personal property, furniture, clothing, etc. Our homeowner's insurance is seeking a subrogation claim against Toyota for the expenses incurred regarding our claim. The Prius is scheduled to have a deconstructive exam soon with multiple parties present and is currently being held as evidence.

- Davis, CA, USA