2010 Toyota Prius seat belts / air bags problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 022016

Prius

Takata recall: Our car is over 6 years old. I would like to know if there is a faulty takata airbag in my car, and get it replaced immediately if so.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Apr 152016

Prius

Does my vehicle have a takada airbag. I know it is not part of a recall. I just want to know who manufactured the airbag in my car!!!!!

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Oct 042015

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving approximately 18 mph when another vehicle driving in the opposite direction broadsided the vehicle. The frontal and side air bags did not deploy. The contact had to be pried out of the vehicle and transported by ambulance to the hospital. The contact sustained three fractured bones in the right foot, 3 toes, a severe strain in the right ankle, and a concussion. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000. Updated 1/4/2016 updated 03/01/16

- Sweeny, TX, USA

May 062015

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While attempting to park the vehicle with the brake pedal engaged, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into the curb. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed. The body damage was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Jun 172015

Prius

I hit a car on the front left side of my car as he pulled suddenly out in front of me. The force and angle caused my car to rollover 3-4 times. The driver front or side airbags did not deploy. The car rolled over 3-4 times completely. It crushed the car totally. Passenger side air bag (and no passenger in the car) went off but not driver side airbag.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Sep 102015

Prius

The air bag warning light activated and the indication of this light indicates the air bags will not deploy. The Toyota dealer has determined that the spiral cable has warn out.

- Tool, TX, USA

Oct 212014

Prius

Airbag light turned on and was diagnosed as 'faulty air bag on driver side due to wiring harness issue'. I did not expect to pay for this repair as airbags are federally regulated 'safety' items. Car was just out of warranty. I did make a claim to Toyota and part was paid for. However, world Toyota in atlanta did charge me $293 for the labor. I would appreciate any information you can offer on this matter.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 302015

Prius 4-cyl

I had just pulled into the garage and was at a complete stop when the car surged forward and slammed into to the back of the garage, I would tip overattempted to stop the car with the brakes and they were not working so I shifted the car to reverse and it speed out of the garage up an embankment into a fence. It. was up on it's side and I was afraid that it would tip over so in an attempt to bring it down level I shifted to drive and it speed off forward it then jumped a row of bushes into the front yard and did a large circle in the front yard missing three large pine trees and hitting a small tree that ended up stopping the car and deployed the air bag.

- Evans , GA, USA

Mar 012015

Prius 4-cyl

Prius 2010 airbag warning light come on intermittently.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Dec 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Picture of airbag in red on dash comes on intermittently.

- White Hall, MD, USA

Oct 242014

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 55 mph, another vehicle came from a side street, crossed into oncoming traffic and crashed into the driver's side of the vehicle. The passenger side air bag did not deploy but the driver side curtain air bag did deploy. The driver sustained bruised ribs and the front passenger sustained shoulder injuries, bruises and lacerations to the right hand. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.....updated 11/13/14 updated 4/29/2015

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 162014

Prius 4-cyl

I had a collision with a vehicle as I headed North towards an intersection. On the other side the driver that hit my vehicle was supposed to yield to coming traffic. When I realized it I had crashed into a wooden fence. The car was hit in the left side front tire area, the hood, the fender, the driver and passenger left doors were damaged. Needless to say the car was declared a total loss. I would like an investigation since I believe the air bags should have deployed. I was hit in the front drivers side, then drove thru a wooden fence to be stopped by a storage container. The accident didn't result in any major injuries but the air bags should have deployed...updated 09/30/14 the consumer stated the manufacturer found that the airbags should not have deployed. Updated 02/27/2015

- Tustin, CA, USA

Jun 192014

Prius 4-cyl

On Thursday, June 19th, just before noon, police state my wife was stopped at the intersection of american legion rd. And hwys 61-67. The traffic lights were malfunctioning and flashing red all 4 directions. After stopping she proceeded on and was struck on the drivers side about where the door hinges are. The driver stated he did not see the flashing red lights. It pushed the Prius across the intersection and into the curb surrounding the traffic light. It was a Pontiac aztec with the high hood, and supposedly the hood crashed out the drivers side window, showering my wife with glass. She suffered concussion, broken clavicle, 10 staples in the back of her head, and has extensive swelling along her entire left side. It also knocked out both hearing aids, scratched up her glasses from the flying glass and knocked her watch off. Unfortunately the side curtain air bag did not deploy. It is being handled by hartford insurance so they can give you more information about the damage. The car has about 38,000 miles on it. The police report is by festus, mo. P.D..... updated 08/05/14 updated 08/19/2014

- Festus, MO, USA

Apr 262014

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving 10 mph in a parking lot and made a left turn when another vehicle crashed into the front passenger door. The contact depressed her brakes immediately but the brakes failed, causing the contact to drive over a stop sign, a curb and then crashing into two apartment A/C units. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact was awaiting a ruling from her insurance adjuster to determine whether or not the vehicle would be deemed as destroyed. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Apr 042014

Prius 4-cyl

The SRS warning light (airbag icon) lit up after pulling my 2010 Prius out of the driveway on April 4, 2014. We tested whether the seatbelt had anything to do with it, or whether it made a difference if someone was seated in the passenger seat or not. Neither seemed to make any difference. The car was purchased August 1, 2009, and has just over 61000 miles on it. It has not been in any accidents, nor run over anything. There is an umbrella that I store on the floor of the vehicle, close to the driver's seat. Since that time, the light appears intermittently, but when it comes on, it stays on the entire day. Took it to the dealer, but it was not displaying at the time, so they recommended bringing it back when it was showing up more consistently.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Mar 282014

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger airbag doesn't go on 50% of the time. I tried to remedy it today at dealership, so I listed today as incident date..but really been happening since October 2013 when I bought it used. The air bag reads: Passenger airbag off when a person, greater than 100lbs sits in the front seat. I have photographic evidence of a person sitting in front seat, with passenger airbag off, yet dealer cannot fix it because they couldn't reproduce the problem, or could get a malfunction code. I stated, it only happens approx 50% of the time. I only took one photo one day last week...I offered I could have 20 photos! of a person in the front seat with the sign passenger airbag off, but unless the dealer can recreate it and it warrants a malfunction code, then they can fix it. I am frustrated beyond belief, as I have proof the air bag sensor is not working correctly, and yet the dealer and Toyota cannot fix it. The service manager stated he would "open a case" with Toyota, and I did the same as well. I also told Toyota I was entering this into the NHTSA datatbase. I pray nothing ever happens to the right front side of the car...because the airbag is malfunctioning and even with my premier extended warranty, Toyota will not fix it.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Mar 192011

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the 2010 red Prius was hit from the driver's left front side and upon impact may have pushed the Prius 2 left tries off the ground at 45 degrees, but the vehicle came back down to the ground. The front air bags partially deployed and the side curtain air bags failed to deploy. The contact was injured and suffered a fractured neck. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 5,000. Updated 01-10-14

- Playa Del Rey , CA, USA

Oct 102013

Prius 4-cyl

We noticed that the carpet was saturated. The dealer told us it was because there were spider webs blocking the drain from the A/C. it was repaired at a cost of $1,554, the work included drying the air bag module and replacement of carpet. We believe this should be the subject of a recall as it is the identical problem recalled for the Toyota Camry.

- Essex, MA, USA

Aug 012013

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle air bag switch. The consumer requested to have an air bag on-off switch installed in his vehicle. The consumer was involved in an accident, with his previous vehicle and it was struck on the left side just in front of the rear wheel, damaging the body and rear door, but not seriously. It was the only damage to the vehicle. However, the upper left air bag deployed striking him on the side of the head and breaking his neck.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Jul 052012

Prius 4-cyl

Our car was involved in an accident on July 5, 2012 at around 9:30 am. Accident occurred on little road going North after junction of ridge road and before embassy blvd. Car was in the central lane in a zone rated for 45miles. It was going with the traffic at around 40 miles. Suddenly a large bird, probably a crane, that walked on the road and all vehicles slowed down to 15-20 miles speed to save the bird. The bird was saved but the car behind Chevy Silverado truck did not slow down and hit our car rear end at full speed. Only two cars were involved in the accident and no one was badly injured. Driver of our car was hurt by probably bumping her head with steering, she had a cut on chin, and scratch mark on her neck front, and she complaint of pain in both legs and neck. Her face was swollen and became black and blue in 24 hours. Our complaint is: 1. none of the six air bags opened to protect driver or any passenger to prevent injury from impact.vehicle inspector confirmed that their are no sensors in back end bumper. It may be good idea to have such sensor in the back at least for the driver seat because any impact affects the driver. 2. lacerations on the neck probably resulted from seat belt. Wound were not deep. However lack of adjustable fixed end of the seat belt makes belt cut on the neck, especially to a driver with height of around 5 feet and in high impact accident can severe main blood vessel in the neck. Possibility of such injury can be minimized by making a) seat belt adjustable at the point of fixation on the body of the car and B) making wide, soft and sliding shoulder pad on the belt.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA