2001 Toyota Sequoia suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Sequoia:

2001 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012016

My 2001 Sequoia (151,000 mi) which has been garaged and maintained meticulously is suddenly showing the vsc lights and brake lights at the same time! there is a very rough feeling when I'm driving the car like something in the undercarriage is very wrong. There is a "clunking" noise as slow as 5 mph at all times and all speeds. At high speeds, the car will suddenly pull to the left momentarily and then release itself but the lights never go out unless car is off. I have read the 138 complaints at the site about this exact problem and thus far, Toyota Corp is ignoring the complaints.where is the recall for this problem. I know alot of owners who haven't even investigated why it's happening in thier truck too. How can they do business like this "?" this is a life threatening problem for Toyota !!! I will stop at nothing to have Toyota repair their problem on their product. Just fix your problem Toyota and I will call off the dogs... simple stuff.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Jul 182016

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle independently swerved without warning. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the frame of the vehicle was corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the lower control bracket was corroded and fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lisbon, CT, USA

Jun 072016

The vsc trac, vsc off, brake and ABS lights came on and are stay on until the engine is shut down. Sometimes the lights come on as soon as startup. Sometimes when idling. Suspension is very stiff, and steering seems affected as well as engine seems to lug when driving and the lights come on.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Apr 092014

2001 Toyota Sequoia was recalled due to corrosion of the frame. All parts such as the back plates for the brakes, tie rod ends, stabilizer bars, and many more attached had rust when it went into the shop. However, Toyota did not care that the rust had spread. I could have wrecked several times due to the negligence of Toyota. It has been costly and the car is not the same since the transfer of the frame. Rust spreads as cancer and is as deadly when it is under your car. I will have to spend thousands of dollars to ensure the safety of my family.

- Brevard, NC, USA

Jun 092013

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the power steering suddenly failed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. An independent mechanic diagnosed that the rack and pinion would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact replaced brake calipers and rotors, 4 new tires and an alignment was performed in the vehicle. The contact mentioned that six months later the vehicle was taken in for inspection and failed due to excessive corrosion around the entire sub frame. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. Also, the contact stated that on the way home while driving 60 mph, the vehicle started to sway violently. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the exhaust and sub frame were cracked. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 199,026.

- Mulberry , FL, USA

Sep 192014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Our vehicle has a squeak and cracking sound which is very scary when riding in this husband was informed by a Toyota technician that there had been a recall on this vehicle for under carriage rust/corrosion which could lead to possible frame damage. On 9/22 we called our local Toyota dealership, gave the VIN and was told their is no recall, & advised to notify Toyota if we wanted to pursue this issue. So we immediately called Toyota & rec'd a case #, and was informed the issue was the under carriage which was rusting and the corrosion was causing frame damage due to the salt and other elements on roads for ice & snow on 9/23 we rec'd a call informing us that the "safety campaign" ended on 7/29, notifications went out to first time owners and or dmv current owners. My husband & I have been registered owners of this vehicle since 9/26/07. We were not notified of this safety campaign which poses a safety hazard and have been told that our state of md is a state in which this vehicle is effected by this recall/campaign. For the safety and lives of my family I am writing to have the "safety campaign" opened so that this vehicle will feel and sound safe to drive and the lives of my family will not be jeopardized every time we ride in this vehicle which most of the time is daily.why would we not adhere to a recall if we were notified" I don't understand how there is a cut-off date. I mean what happens after 7/29 the corrosion doesn't matter or the lives of those who own these vehicles don't matter" seeking help in Maryland.

- Preston, MD, USA

May 142013

Lower ball joint went bad. Had it fixed three times fir the same issue and it still is not working right. I was told by automatic that it could be a manufacturer damage because the ball joints it should not keep wearing out.

- Houston , TX, USA

Sep 042014

Sequoia 8-cyl

It feels like its slipping and the warning siren goes off, trac & vcs lights start flashing and vehicle starts grinding sounds like metal on metal and loose control of car, can't brake, can't steer just have to wait for it to pass as you are rolling away. Very very scary - what if I was on a highway"?" not a happy Toyota owner right now!!!!there needs to be a recall on this, I see several complaints that sound just like mine on the internet and can't believe that Toyota hasn't done anything about it - are they waiting for some fatalities to happen. This is my 1st Toyota and I'm the original owner and up until now this has been an excellent vehicle to drive (14years). Now I'm afraid for my life...

- Frisco, TX, USA

May 292014

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the driver's side front lower ball joint failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The current and failure mileage was 200,600.

- Brownwood, TX, USA

Nov 222012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Last year my car while traveling at a speed of 50 mph just collapsed. My ball joints fell completely off. My the grace of god I wasn't killed because I was on the interstate. I have since had it repaired but not by a Toyota dealer. At the time as now, all my lights were lit vsc trac, ABS etc. I have had this problem throughout having this Toyota and it has been very costly. Now as we speak my car is at a dealer and I can only imagine they will tell me it's the faulty computer chip. I will also have them check for rust since I'm hearing of all these cases of rust. My car has been in tip top shape due to my husbands knowledge of cars. However, some of these reports appear to be incidents beyond our control. I'm lucky to be alive. I guess if I had been killed Toyota would still be denying their product is faulty. I would like Toyota to step up and pay for some of these issues I've had and if my car needs this expensive computer chip..ABS is engaging my brakes they pay for it. This is the second time I've made a report and I haven't heard anything from Toyota...

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 122013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Frame rot and hole/perforation through frame found while inspecting the 2001 Sequoia for the "limited service campaign C0D (specific 20 cold climate states only) - corrosion-resistant compound application to the vehicle's frame". dealer informed me that Toyota would replace the frame for free but that I would have to pay $6,000 to replace suspension, brake lines and exhaust components removed in the process. Dealer stated that they would not reuse the components removed as part of the frame replacement. These components are functioning today and do not need to be replaced. The only reason the dealer gave for the additional cost is that they would not re-install the existing parts. Sounds like a bait and switch scam. Toyota offers to inspect the car and perform a no-cost recall to fix a serious manufacturers defect for $6,000. There is no way to perform the recall without incurring the additional costs.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jan 022013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle frame failure due to excessive rust. Frame recalled after we received a letter to have frame inspected. Local dealer inspected and found it qualifies for recall and can be replaced, however, the manifold and catalyst, and timing belt, etc. Likely will be damaged in frame replacement since they are rusted to frame. The quote to replace those items more than vehicle is worth--car is totaled due to failing parts and rust. We filed a complaint with Toyota and we were politely told that only the frame is covered in recall. Very disappointed that Toyota will not give us any compensation toward another vehicle since this vehicle is now totaled in it's value (if exhaust system needs to be replaced in addition to frame). We are proceeding with replacement and will see whether the existing exhaust system can be salvaged. If it is damaged beyond repair, we have no other alternative but to replace the vehicle at our own expense.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Jun 152012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Premature rusting of undercarriage frame that fails state inspection. Poses safety issues and a hazard to other drivers as catastrophic failure may occur if this is not addressed. Appears to be endemic especially in rust belt states.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 132012

Sequoia 8-cyl

2001 Toyota Sequoia 91,000 miles excessive frame rust, rear end housing replaced at 74,000 miles as goodwill by Toyota excessive rust noted at this time seems like poor quality steel.

- Willington, CT, USA

Nov 162011

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a mechanic to be inspected and the contact was advised that the entire frame was rusted, but mostly at the rear axle. The contact was told that the vehicle was no longer safe to drive. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the frame was only guaranteed for three years, and offered no assistance. The failure and the current mileage was 186,000. Updated 01/10/12

- Hopkinton, MA, USA

Nov 212011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Upon inspection, my mechanic notified me of excessive rusthrough on the rear frame of my 2001 Toyota sequioa. This rustthrough has perforated the rear frame and the truck can no longer be driven. The rearend may separate from the body due to this excessive corrosion. This excessive corrosion is the same as seen on Toyota Tundra and Tacoma where these vehicles have been recalled and replaced and or repaired. This is a dangerous situation and many other Sequoia owners have filed complaints here at NHTSA and have posted on the internet. Toyota is not helpful and will not replace the frames for Sequoia owners. My Sequoia's body is in great shape and runs great. Now I cannot drive it and its worthless. This is a severe safety issue, and should be recalled for safety. I could have lost my rear axle and had a serious accident, especially, if I was towing my boat.

- Uxbridge, MA, USA

Oct 172011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Upon having vehicle inspected by ase-cert. Tech., I was informed that 18"-24" of the vehicle's left main frame rail was rotted/rusted through along the bottom surface. The rotted section is located adjacent to the transmission cross-member on the left side, as well as smaller perforations on the right main frame rail in the same location (transmission cross member). Also, the frame rail is rotted through at the junction where the spare tire carrier support is welded to the frame. Technicians have advised that the vehicle is definitely unsafe to drive, as frame is in danger of collapsing, as well as spare tire falling off vehicle while in operation. Its been brought to local Toyota dealership for further assessment. Factory "truck frame team" was contacted to discuss replacement of frame, as done in response to the rusted frame epidemic on Tundra. This produced no results other than Toyota stating that "there are no problems with Sequoia frames", and "there is no program to replace them". Toyota will* repair or replace this frame, nor offer any assistance with vehicle that is in otherwise excellent condition, with a book values of $9000-$10,000, now made worthless and un-drivable due to the rusted frame. There are many dozens of other identical complaints regarding dangerously rusted/rotted frames on 2001-2003 Sequoias with rust damage all in the exact same locations, on this NHTSA website (see listings), but Toyota will not admit to this obvious design/material defect, as they have with the Tundra, which uses a nearly identical frame from same manufacturer and assembled in the same factory. Neither has the NHTSA yet initiated any sort of intervention on behalf of consumers. Early Sequoia owners in northern us/Canada would be well advised to have their vehicle frames inspected by qualified technician, and report those findings immediately.

- Berlin, NH, USA

Oct 242011

Sequoia 8-cyl

2001 Toyota Sequoia has only 88,000 miles after ten years. Recently failed inspection due to rotted, rusted frame and rear differential casing. Mechanic was able to demonstrate frame failure by pressing finger through rusted metal. Vehicle now requires frame strength assessment to determine if it is salvageable. Vehicle has same frame as recalled Toyota Tundra.

- Hampden, ME, USA

Sep 012011

My 2001 Toyota Sequoia has extensive frame rust. I am very concerned with safety and am not sure what to do. The body is in excellent condition but the frame and attached components are severely rusted. I understand Toyota will not take action on this issue. I am the original owner.

- Mason, OH, USA

Sep 042011

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated when he stopped the vehicle, the entire suspension system collapsed. The vehicle was towed to an independent repair shop, where the contact was informed that the lower ball joint on the front driver's side fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 152,000. Updated evoq 10/25/11.

- Long Beach, CA, USA