2002 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

May 122011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc/trac lights are on, engine light is on. Toyota dealer tells me this is a common problem with 2002 Toyota Sequoia but there's no recall. The internet is filled with Toyota Sequoia owners, 2003 model, dealing with repeated fixes for the vsc/trac lights and engine lights that come on after 111,000 miles.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 032011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving down the highway and out of no where I started skidding and my steering wheel started shaking. There was nothing on the road, the weather was hot and dry, and I wasn't switching lanes. Simultaneously the "vsc trac" and "trac off" lights came on. My first instinct was to apply the brake, and upon doing so the ABS kicked in. I pulled off the highway to let the car rest and so that I could check everything out. Everything appeared fine, so I continued on my journey. The lights stayed on for the remainder of the 50 mile trip, but no further incident occurred. When I started the car the next morning, the lights were off. I took the car to the dealership and they told me I had an ECU skid control failure. Upon further investigation I found that this had happened at least four times prior with this vehicle, starting when the car was only two years old and had approximately 35,000 miles. All four times the car had been taken to the dealership for inspection.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jun 102011

Anti-lock braking system engages suddenly with power loss and front end vibration. Vehicle stability control and traction control lights illuminate on dash. ABS and vsc lights remain on (ABS and stability control therefore disengaged) and cannot be turned back on by operator. When vehicle is turned off, system appears to reset, but the problem repeats after restarting and driving several miles. Problem occurred twice today, on two separate drive events within a 2 hour period.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Jun 082011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have experienced chilling and dangerous malfunctions of the ABS, vsc/track system in my (owned since new) 2002 Sequoia. The "vsc/vsc track" lights illuminate and a disconnect alarm (beeping tone) is initiated. The system failure pulls the car abruptly off course. Immediate correction must be made to stay on the road. This has happened several times within the past 6 months with the system automatically re-setting itself after turning off the key and re-starting the engine. Today's incident was the most violent and the system does not re-set. Probably a good thing. Looking at user complaints on the internet causes one to wonder why the public has not been protected by the NHTSA requiring a recall. My experience has been Toyota dealerships are turning their backs on this issue. For safety sake, this should not be ignored!! I find it hard to believe that we can spend time and money to preserve a salamander in this country and yet ignore a highway safety issue such as this. The complaints on this issue have been many and around for a while. So many of us out here are reaching out to you for help. Please help by considering a recall on these vehicles. Very truly yours, experienced auto mechanic, licensed and experienced (a&P) aircraft mechanic, gulfstream 550 safety & standards Pilot.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

May 312011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Un safe 2002 Sequoia vsc trac, vsc off having some problem with your Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage, this is a common problem that many Sequoia owners have experience. Light came on while driving on hard and flat road and lose power almost got struck by a vehicle driving behind me unsafe.

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 222010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Problem began in 2009 when the vsc locked up on my husband while on the freeway. This incident was reported to you and a complaint filed. When vehicle was taken to Toyota of escondido, we were told it checked out fine. The light continued to come on an off..taken in again, they pulled the computer system and found it registered the car had a total not the case! Toyota had no answer, saying maybe computer malfunction..they did nothing! over the year the light has come on and off randomly, when taken in for scheduled maintenance, we have been told it "checks out fine". on 12/22/2010 I was pulling out of a parking spot and noticed a feeling of total tightness over the vehicle. The vsc light was on. When put in drive (I had been in reverse) the car was fine and the feeling gone..light as well. One hour later, I was at a stoplight in heavy holiday traffic. As the line began to slowly mover forward, I lightly touched the gas..immediately the car was overcome with the tight feeling and lights came on and a deep grinding noise started. I had no control of the vehicle. I was pushing forward and could not steer..I looked down thinking I was on the foot was 100% on the brake..all the way down and the car was pushing forward! I looked up and watched as my huge Sequoia crumpled up into my windshield..then the car shut down. The car in front of my had little (popping noise in trunk) to no damage! airbags never ejected. Towed and incoperable at the time. Currently being investigated for damage by insurance and Toyota.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Nov 152010

I have owned a 2002 Toyota Sequoia since 2006. This problem began occurring in the winter of 2007 with the vsc, vsc trac, and ABS warning lights all coming on. This kept continuing anytime I was driving in wet snowy conditions. I began to research this problem on line and it seems there are many cases of this on 2001-2003 Toyota Sequoias. I took it to a dealer and they couldn't find any computer codes relating to this issue. At the end of last winter the problem seemed to become worse. Even in dry conditions on dry pavement the vsc computer begins to take over acceleration and very often! and sometimes the lights come on and sometimes not. Again I researched and found there to be a Toyota recall on 2003 Sequoias only for the same problem that has been affecting my Sequoia! I called Toyota, they gave me a case # and told me to take it in to the dealer. I took it back to a Toyota dealer and again they could not duplicate the lights turning on or find any computer codes concerning the problem. That was approximately 5 months ago and still the problem persists leading up to yesterdays accident. I drove up to the mountains to go snowboarding. When we left the resort it was snowing very heavy. I noticed the ABS, vsc, and vsc trac lights come on again, as I was expecting them to. We drove about 7 miles down the road then I was moving in to the left turning lane of a traffic light. Our speed was only 15-20 mph, and when I tried to slow down the wheels locked up and we began sliding. I let off the brakes and tried them again to no avail. I let off the brakes and tried to miss the vehicle in front of me by going to the left side of them over a small median as there was no traffic coming towards us in the intersection. But my rear tire bounced me off the median and into the vehicle.the damage was minor and there were no injuries. I believe this accident could have been avoided if the ABS and vsc system was working properly. I believe the recall should include 01 and 02 Sequoias.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Nov 072010

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and recently my vsc has been was feels like a lock up, I hear something grinding and the car begins to shake and swerve, it happened as I was entering the interstate. I have had issues with the vsc light going on and off and did mention to the service dept. At the dealership when it was under warranty, they said they could not find anything wrong. It has been a few years since the problem has occurred and now it is worse and a very scary and dangerous situation. I had my daughter and a her friend in the car and we were nowhere near a town. I am very scared to drive my car. It now happens almost everytime I go somewhere, and the dealership wants to charge me just to evaluate the problem when I had previously mentioned it before. I hope there is a recall very soon.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 282010

Since end of June 2010, I had to have my 2002 Toyota Sequoia towed because it had started to veer off and the wheel became stiff and I couldn't control the steering. The vsc lights came on as well as the "squiggly car" light. I was scared to drive it again as I was 100 miles away from home, so I had it towed. I had taken it to the Toyota dealership and they diagnosed the bearings but couldn't diagnose the failure I had felt as far as the vsc incident. They charged me for inspection but said they didn't know exactly what was wrong and sent me home with the car. I experienced this for a few days and finally took it to an independent auto repair. They did a zero recalibrating and saw there was issues on the computer coming up but couldn't also exactly pinpoint what was wrong. It took a week before I got it back as it didn't reoccur with them. The following day as I drove it, the vsc lights and squiggly car light came on again. Every time I made a turn it seemed it jumped and it wouldn't gain acceleration quickly when I pressed on the gas. Plus it made this loud noise as if something was rubbing and it would slow down, then after a few seconds, regain speed. I took it in again and they replaced the yaw sensor. The following day, again taking the streets it seemed that everytime I stopped and pressed again it shifted something as I felt it under the pedals, the vsc lights would turn on but then turn off and then finally regain speed. Each and every time I was stopped at a light and then pressed on the gas, it did this. I finally looked up a recall that one technician told me about and noticed the 2003 recall for traction control system. However Toyota will not help since my car is 2002, hence why I'm complaining about it now. I believe the exact thing is what is happening to my car. I've had it swerve on the freeway when the vsc light came on and am afraid to drive it on the freeway for fear of it slowing down unexpectedly.

- Industry, CA, USA

Jun 152010

While driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia, I pulled into traffic and all of a sudden the truck lost power as cars swerved around me and a violent grinding noise started. A skid control light started flashing. I could feel the grinding on the brake pedal. After a few seconds, the truck beeped and 2 more lights came on. The "trac off" and "vsc" came on. After that the truck drove normal. The next time it happened that day was while I pressed on the brake pedal as I was trying to make a right turn into a gas station. This has happened multiple times now! I no longer feel safe on the road as this seems to happen at any moment. I have read all about this problem on the internet. Many Sequoia owners have had these same problems. Why will Toyota not fix these problems"?? what has to happen for them to feel responsible?"

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 122010

Trac light/vsc lights came on while driving down the road. Then the car pulled to the right and a grinding noise sounding like the anti-locking brake mechanism is activating. This is an extremely dangerous malfunction. I've seen that the 2003 model has a recall out for the same thing, and after seeing many others having this same occurrence with the 2002 model, they should expand the date range to cover the 2002 as well! it happened twice this weekend and it's happened 4-5 times previous to this recent incident (one earlier incident had my stepdaughter driving the Sequoia and the power shut completely off while driving!). the mechanics told us they couldn't pull any related codes the first time we took it in. We need to take this in again immediately, but why should I have to pay the full price when this is obviously a defective part they've created? I was traveling at 70 mph on interstate-10 the first time it happened this past weekend and in-town at a slower speed (40 mph) the second incident. Luckily nobody was in the lane next to me or I'd have hit them for sure!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jan 062008

Gas pedal hesitates and won't pick up speed when applied. This causes me to have to pull over to the side of the road and slowly drive until the speed picks up. This almost cause an accident when I was trying to merge on to the interstate in heavy traffic.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 052005

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated when accelerating at approximate speeds of 25-30 mph on wet pavement, around curves or when passing another vehicle, the vehicle was hesitant to increase speed. The vehicle would drive as normal when the contact removed his foot from the accelerator pedal. In addition, the vehicle stability control (vsc) and vsc traction warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer reset the warning lights but to no avail. The dealer advised any further repairs would be at the owners expense. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000 and the current mileage was 60,000

- Belleview , WA, USA

May 062010

We've experienced a lack of acceleration on our 2002 Toyota Sequoia, dealer has not found the problem. On Saturday May 6th at approx. 11:30 pm, as we exited the freeway with wife and eight year old triplets, the vehicle basically died out. The engine was still on but vehicle would not move when pressing the accelerator. I let the vehicle roll and pulled over where it was safe. A recent announcement refers to a recall of Sequoias with this problem but only for the 2003 model. I've read various posts about owners of other models having the same issue so I believe this problems is more widespread than what Toyota is admitting at this point. What action can I take at this time as my wife no longer feels safe driving the vehicle at this time. The repairs will I imagine be very costly if I have to pay out of pocket.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Mar 092010

2002 Toyota Sequoia ABS and vehicle skid control (vsc) computer failure that causes safety concern in operating the vehicle (ABS, vsc, parking brake lights stay on). In slippery road conditions, applying brakes or accelerating causes the vehicle to skid and slide easily. 2003 models have been recalled for similar issue with ABS and vsc computer. Please look into poor Toyota's design or production quality of these vehicles before we get injured or worse...

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 302009

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated the vsc, vsc-off, emergency brake, and check engine warning lights would intermittently illuminate on the dashboard. In addition, the vehicle would abnormally accelerate sporadically when sitting idle at a stop. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for further analysis. The failure mileage was 113,000 and the current mileage was 116,000.

- Lindenwold, NJ, USA

Jan 052010

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia limited that has an error message on safety equipment. Vehicle stability control (vsc) and ABS (anti-lock-brake) system lights are constantly on, causing me concern. I see Toyota initiated a recall on the 2003 model for this concern, yet not on my model year? I see numerous blogs with this concern as I search for solutions. This was a very expensive vehicle that I purchased due to the reputation of this company for building safe automobiles, I am disappointed in Toyota's lack of response. Please help if you have the ability/authority. Thank you

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Mar 142010

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving at speeds of 5 mph and making a left turn, the front tires slipped and the vehicle decelerated for approximately four seconds. The dealer was able to duplicate the failure but was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and there were no recalls. The failure mileage was 107,000 and the current mileage was 108,000.

- Gigharbor, WA, USA

Apr 222010

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

About a year ago, I started to experience problems that's related to the vehicle stability control (vsc) system on my 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The problem occurs intermittently and when it does occurs, it happens during initial acceleration. During this time, the vsc light would start blinking and I would not be able to accelerate. Braking would require tremendous force applied to activate it. There was at least one incident where the vsc activated during highway driving, but that incident lasted approximately 5 or so seconds. However, it did require that I suddenly apply the brake and started pumping it for the vsc to de-activate. Due to the intermittent nature, I took the vehicle to a local repair shop for diagnostic and they did find that error codes were present relating to the vsc. Though the problem could not be pinpointed on the initial visit to the repair shop. Subsequent occurrences prompted me to bring the vehicle back to the repair shop for further diagnostic. Eventually it was recommended to me to replace the "speed sensors" which I authorized. After the replacement, the problem tend to have gone away. Recently, I started to intermittently experience a similar problem with vsc light blinking briefly whenever I pull out of a drive way performing at least an 80 degree turn. This time around the problem isn't as severe and is very infrequent. I would say in a week of commuting, I would experience it maybe once or twice. Of course this is compared to previous incidents where I was experiencing the vsc problem almost half the time. Earlier this week, I read there was a 2003 Toyota Sequoia recall which has the exact symptom and problem I've been experiencing on my 2002 Sequoia. I strongly urge the NHTSA to recommend Toyota to include the recall for 2002 Sequoia model year as well. Thank you for your attention and time!

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 012002

I noted today the recall of 2003 Toyota Sequoia's due to issues with the vsc system. I am concerned that this does not include the 2002 models as I have had recurring issues with the vsc since day 1. at low speed, particularly on grades or while making sharp turns, the vsc will cause my vehicle to temporarily lose power. I have reported this on several occasion both to Toyota and via telephone. It is so bad that I now know locations on my regular drives during which this will occur. So, I either go a little faster than I might otherwise on grades or I swerve out before making turns to make the angle less acute. Obviously, not the safety we'd expect in a $40K vehicle. This issue also occurs going over slightly jarring bumps such as steep speedbumps or potholes. The vehicle temporarily loses power, which in this case can be possibly even more dangerous because we are often being followed by other vehicles traveling at normal speed.

- San Clemente, CA, USA