2002 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Mar 222016

The vsc trac & vsc off light blinks on and off causing car to cut on and off.when tis happen the car was in motion. I just purcased car the dealer said to replace the accelerator pedal position sensor of course it is not covered under warranty and because it happened right after 30 days of purchase it falls on me.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Dec 152015

I have a problem with my trac and vsc light coming on while driving. The stability light would blink and beep and both the trac off and vsc light would come on. The brakes would also seem like it's grinding when the stability light is blinking and beeping. I have the exact same problem as this guy on this video

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Feb 172016

The vsc/ABS indicator lights appear intermittently without any warning. The car beeps, makes a heavy grinding noise and the ABS brakes are automatically engaged without any action by the driver regardless of the speed, or whether driving on a highway or city street. The car will fishtail. Based on my research, I have found that this is a common problem among these vehicles and that there was a 2003 recall for this problem. This defect in the same model for the 2002 vehicles seems to be widespread. Must we first have an accident to win rights to be accommodated. Does Toyota not want to make good on its product and satisfy all owners/customers. I worry every time I drive my vehicle and thank god each time I reach my destination without incident. This is the only vehicle we have to drive our severely disabled 10 year old daughter and cannot afford a new vehicle. We are really scared! see other identical consumer complaints at

- Weston, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Identical problem as described by many others. Vsc-trac and trac-off lights randomly illuminated on dry, level pavement when brakes were applied, causing a loud grinding noise (much louder than normal application of anti-lock brakes), and car pulled and would not stop no matter how hard the brake pedal was pressed. First couple times, brakes were applied to slow the vehicle in traffic, so the failure to fully stop wasn't noticed. This now happens consistently whenever I drive and does not matter how fast or slow I am going. These failures clearly put vehicles at risk of accidents, and it is difficult to understand why the 2003 Sequoias were recalled for vsc issues, but not the 2002, when the parts being replaced fit both years. I have only had the vehicle for 2 years with 140,000 miles.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Jul 152014

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle jerked and veered to the left as the vsc warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the yaw rate sensor needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

May 142015

The first time my ABS/vcs trac lights came on was after I had to brake hard on a downward hill. I accelerated to climb the other side of the hill and it was after doing that which the vcs trac and trac off lights first came on at around 168,000 miles. There was a fast beeping sound lasting for maybe 10 sec then it regained power. Now it will do it within just a few miles of our home. We have had several more occasions since this initial incident where there was a jerking/pulling of the right front tire. Also the air conditioning would come on and off like it was trying to surge. Also idles very low, below 500 RPM and then finally shuts off. This vehicle has become very dangerous to drive. We are not sure what to get fixed on it since we have read that other owners are being told that its anything from a yaw sensor, steering angle sensor, brake booster system, or a skid control computer issue. All of these are very pricey to get fixed and there are no guarantees that they will even correct the problem. Most have had the yaw sensor replaced and it did not correct the problem. Some of the mechanics we have talked to said that there could be brake dust or mud and road grime build up over the sensor making it malfunction and that it should be hosed off at an underbody carwash. We haven't tried this yet since we didn't put much faith in it until we discovered hearing again on youtube. The 2003 Toyota Sequoia vcs recall should be extended down to the 2002 models as well. We all are having the same issue that they did.

- Edgefield, SC, USA

Aug 132014

Driving on paved public road, dry road conditions in summertime at low speed,10-20 mph, the vsc and trac off warning lights on instrument panel light up with and audible bell type alarm at the same time the right front wheel makes a loud thump causing the vehicle to pull hard to the right and with very hard front end vibration. At which time there is no brake control, steering control or acceleration control for approximately 20 seconds that has caused a few near miss vehicle collisions with other vehicles or off the road towards an embankment. The Sequoia was taken to a Toyota dealership service center where the technician stated they can only clear the fault code in the vehicle's computer. Since the fault code has been cleared, 5 more episodes of the same identical senerios with both wet and dry road conditions but not standing water on the roadway, and also a couple of times during speeds between 60-70 mph. This is an intermittent anomaly, but happens 3-4 days in a row between instances.

- Prattville , AL, USA

Apr 162015

Sequoia 8-cyl

After driving 45 miles then driving in a busy town then back 45 miles to home town I was going 55 mph and all the sudden I lost power, a dinging noise happened and I lost breakage, the vcs off and vcs track light came on, the vehicle start driving rough. I then went home. Then after a few hour I had to go get my son I started the vehicle and noticed the lights were off, after only going 3 miles and with my son in the vehicle it made the ding noise lost power lights vcs off vcs trak lights came back on, very scary, hope they recall it soon, my Sequoia was made August 2002.

- Beaver Dam, KY, USA

Mar 042015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc randomly activated twice within 10-15 minutes while traveling on a dry, clean interstate freeway at about 70 mph, causing the vehicle to swerve considerably. There were no external circumstances that appeared to cause this incident. Weather conditions: Clear skies, sunshine, 80 degrees, dry, level roads. After the second incident, we were able to get the vehicle to a nearby dealership. We since learned the 2003 Sequoia apparently had a recall regarding this same situation.

- Livingston , TX, USA

Dec 172014

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

As I was driving my vehicle it made a grinding sound along with a brief slowdown and then the vsc track light came on. When you turn the vehicle off the lights go off and stay off until another episode. This has happened on three different occasions.

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Oct 062014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle makes a sputtering noise at acceleration and coasting speed. Even at stop. Sounds like a misfire and thud at some points. Causes a loss in power and jerk.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Nov 042013

Traction control /vsc comes on all the time.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 082014

While driving at a speed of 35, my truck suddenly pulled to the right, started to shake and a beeping alarm came on, the picture of the vechicle skidding also lit up and the trac off and vsc trac also lit up and stayed on. Upon pulling over and cutting the truck off and restarting the vechicle, the lights where no longer lit. This has happened several more times. I have taken it to a mechanic and they have placed a machine on it to see if it registars anything, and nothing shows up. This really scared me and daughters track team mates, because we where not expecting this. This is the only vechicle I have at this time to drive, do to my husband being deployed. Toyota says that they have no recalls, but there are several complaints on the internet of this problem.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Apr 082014

Sequoia 8-cyl

All of sudden my car starts to make beeping sound, clunking and thumping. Grinding noise. Braking is hard and seems unstable. Skid control light came on and vsc track light came on as well. This happens on a flat, normal road condition on a sunny day. It feels very dangerous and Toyota needs to recall and fix it asap. This happens regularly and I am afraid it may lead to an accident.

- Santa Clara , CA, USA

Aug 132014

Sequoia 8-cyl

I drive a 2002 Sequoia and have had about 8 instances where the trac off, trc vsc, and slip indicator lights all come on while the truck feels like it locks up and a beeping alarm sounds and a pulling to the right with a grinding noise. This morning the slip indicator lights stayed on with the grinding noise seems like a few seconds longer than yesterday. I was about to pull off of the road when the other two lights came on and the car drove normal when the lights are on. When you turn the engine off and restart the lights go off. However the error occurs on a daily basis now. The roads I travel are mainly highway and have been dry. I have noticed that there are many complaints for the same issue and that Toyota did issue a recall for the 2003 model year.. this is a very dangerous issue and needs correction. One would think that the recall should extend to all years.

- Scott, LA, USA

Aug 012014

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia & have had about 10 instances since the beginning of August 2014 where the trac off, trac vsc, and slip indicator lights all come on while the truck feels like it locks up and a beeping noise occurs all while driving. Today August 21, 2014 while making a U-turn my truck failed to accelerate for a few seconds (I really had to push hard on the gas to get it to go). I have found several instances of the same or similar situations on various sites. Apparently Toyota recalled the 2003 models for the electronic stability control but did not include the 2002's although there are several complaints on multiple other years including the 2002. It would be horrible if someone is injured or killed before Toyota takes this seriously.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Aug 052014

Sequoia 8-cyl

The skid control lights come on for no reason the whole car shakes and there is a thumping and grinding noise from the vehicle along with the beeping warning sound. It happens at different speeds sometimes when breaking or turning and losing power. This last a few seconds then the vsc light comes on and the vsc off light and all is ok while lights are on.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

May 072014

While driving the vehicle vsc trac button lights up, vehicle starts beeping, the tires shake pulling vehicle wheel left to right while a V grinding sound comes from under the vehicle. It started doing V this for only a few seconds then stops. The first incident happened in May 2014, then nothing C again until July 2014. Now it happens several times randomly through the day for up to 15 second stretches at varying speeds.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Last month, while traveling home from summer vacation on flat ground, at approximately 60 mph, the vsc, trac lights came on in the dash. There was a terrible grinding noise from under the car and beeping inside the car. The car pulled hard to the right and decelerated abruptly in the middle of a busy highway. Thank goodness I was able to pull into the turn lane and limp into a gas station. This occurred three more times over the next 500 miles until I got home. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the yaw sensor. Only 3 days after that, it happened again. Took it to the dealer, they replaced two brake sensors and a master cylinder. Today, five days after that, it happened again. This time, thankfully at only 25 mph with no traffic. This is a very scary, dangerous problem that Toyota should not be ignoring. It has been recalled in the 2003 model, and should be in the 2002 model as well!

- Weatherford, TX, USA

May 312014

Sequoia 8-cyl

First incident: On the freeway car all of a sudden made a beeping sound (similar to no seat belt sound) vehicle lost power almost like it downshifted. Vsc, trac off lights all came on and the car wouldn't brake! I had to consistently pump on the brake and pull the emergency brake to slow it down. Brakes were grinding and it felt as if it was trying to lock but yet skipping (clunk, clunk, cluck). Pulled off to the side, turned off engine, and then resumed. I had to pull over 5 separate times due to the same issue. Luckily I allowed myself a huge space in between myself and other cars. If not, there would had been a for sure accident. Car continues with the same problems. I've done a whole lot of researching in regards to this vehicle and it seems that it's a ECU issue. I am aware that Toyota has recalled all 2003 model Sequoia's on up but not 2002 on under. This is a huge safety concern of mine and even if I purchased a new ECU there is not guarantee that it's been addressed or fixed for this model. According to the Toyota rep. I just got off the phone with 30 minutes ago. Please help! and thank you in advance.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA