2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Mar 032014

I have a 2002 Sequoia, a couple of weeks ago while driving at 35 mph my brakes locked. I took it immediately to my brake guy; he looked it over, put it on the machine, found nothing. I left thinking it might have been something on the road that I missed seeing, that set off the traction sensors. A week went by without incident before it happened again; this time at 40mph on a flat clean highway. The trac off, vsc trac & the slip indicator light came on while the front end shook violently and pulled hard to the right. I was unable to adjust the brake, as it felt locked and my steering column, while vibrating madly was near impossible to turn, it was like driving an old style truck without power steering. I went to another brake shop, they hooked it up to the machine, and again nothing showed up!! today, five days later, while driving home with my children on a major highway doing the posted 65mph it happened again. I was suddenly unable to maneuver my vehicle, the brakes locked, the steering locked, and my vehicle pulled to the right. I just held on and prayed as my car pulled off the road, thank heavens the ground was flat. I have only been that afraid for my family's safety once before, and that was in the middle of a tornado. Toyota has a serious problem here!

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Mar 122003

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have had an issue with my vsc/trac off light since we bought it. The light would come on at seemingly random times, stay on until I restarted the truck - we were told it was not something we needed to worry about by the dealerships in fort worth (fort worth Toyota). Recently (2/2014 & 3/2014), as I was coming down a hill in our neighborhood, approaching a stop sign, there was a grinding sound and the vehicle would seem to be stopping instead of accelerating - and the vsc lights came on again. I immediately pulled over and stopped; I couldn't see anything wrong under the hood or near the wheel wells, which is where it sounded like it was coming from. It did not continue and did not happen again for about a week. The next time it happened I was on the highway at about 70 mph. It grinded for about a second and slowed me down abruptly, then stopped grinding. Pretty hairy situation, going 70 and having your brakes slow you down. I have not had the issue looked at by a technician yet and am not driving the truck. In researching it, I found hundreds of online complaints and a recall for the 2003 model year on your website. [NHTSA campaign number: 10V176000 ] obviously, the 2002 model year should have been included, as I am seeing the exact same problem.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Sep 292013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle had violent grinding and braking of the right front wheel causing a hard pull to the right. Vsc and trac lights and warning buzzers came on. Turned vehicle off and restarted five minutes later. Same thing has happened three times since within 6 months. The last time was on the interstate and caused hard pull to the right. Dealer cannot identify problem and claim they have never heard of this before.

- Ft Walton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 272010

My traction lights have been on and have remained on for several years now. My husband says my panel looks like a christmas tree. I have contacted the dealership to see if there was a recall but was advised there is not. I haven't had any issues, until this past weekend, other than not realizing I had engaged my emergency brake since the light constantly stays on. I nearly wrecked this weekend. It was dark and raining. I had to apply the brakes to miss another car, the brakes locked up and started sliding out of control. Luckily I was able to get it stopped in time to avoid another accident. My traction control doesn't work either, I guess it went out when all the other control lights went out. I just wonder if the airbags work, hope I don't have to find out the hard way. I keep reading numerous complaints on the 2002 model but haven't seen a recall. Appears there was a recall on the 2003 model for the same issues. My steering column is broken. I had it checked out several years ago. Apparently the main metal component is broken and therefore my gears engagement doesn't light up when I am in drive. If someone else drives my car, they don't know what gear it's in. I ready many complaints about the same but no recall. My rear hatch handle has broken 2 times now within a year of the other which costs me $100 to repair each time. It appears to be cheaply made and plastic and it can't be repaired without a lot of labor to dismantle the rear door plate on the inside to install a new handle. My main concern is the electronic stability control system.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Nov 092009

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving vehicle on interstate when it suddenly braked and pulled to the right, creating a dangerous situation just avoiding the car next to me.vsc and trac lights came replaced numerous parts and vehicle has been ok for a few years, then lights are on again and more parts lights on again and dealer diagnosed it as brake master cylinder, ,,$825, ,, after spending thousands already on this problem..I had a independent repair shop replace master cylinder and lights still on with 3 new the vehicle but so sick of this issue...and worry about it suddenly braking and pulling...02 needs a recall..

- Tequesta, FL, USA

Jan 092013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving on the freeway on a dry day, traveling at 65 mph and noticed the trac control, ABS, and brake lights all illuminate. I thought this was interesting. As I drove at steady 65mph I noticed the vehicle become unstable, I could feel the rear end being very wish-washy, to the point I had to slow the vehicle down to about 55 mph so that it would feel more stable. I drive this same stretch of freeway often and have never had the truck act like this until the lights became illuminated. I took the truck to my mechanic, they performed some diagnostic testing and did some investigating and found nothing wrong, no tripped codes or anything else pointing to something needing to be replaced. While they worked on the vehicle they had at some point disconnected the battery, resetting the computer, this seemed to solve the problem until last week, 9/23/2013 when the lights same lights illuminated again. This second time I never noticed the rear-end being slippery as I did in the first case. Thank goodness. I was on a long trip 600 miles from home. I worried that when these lights are illuminated that if I'm required to do a quick stop or maneuver to avoid something I may end up in a really bad situation. But with the lights being illuminated twice in a year span I'm beginning to think that this could be an ongoing problem. I'm don't like the unpredictability of when the lights illuminate.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 232013

Sequoia 8-cyl

A week prior my vsc trac and vsc off lights came on but nothing else occurred. Now out of nowhere my vehicle will make an audible sound and start rumbling and pulling to the right and slowing but won't allow me to brake. This can last anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. Sometimes the picture of the car with the skid marks will light up (even on dry roads) other times the ABS light will come on. Once the beeping and vibrations stop, the vsc trac and vsc off lights remain on until I turn the car off. I drive 30 miles each way to work daily. This is very dangerous and scary as I have no idea what triggers the episodes.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 132013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Car was going 20mph on dry pavement. All of the sudden the vehicle stability control (vsc) activated causing the vehicle to shake and slowdown. When the vsc is engaged car is unable to accelerate. This happen on multiple times with car going 20-40mph. On roads with high traffic with cars behind me and the sudden activation of the vsc, causing my car to suddenly and abruptly slow down, almost cause the car behind to rear end my vehicle. On one occasions, my children were in the car. On many internet forums, many Sequoia owners are experiencing the same problem. This is a very dangerous defects that Toyota needs to address and fix asap.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 022013

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph the vsc and trac control system activated independently with the warning indicators illuminated. A loud grinding noise emitted from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and they were unable to detect a trouble code nor duplicate the failure. The vsc and trac control system wires were disabled. There was a recall associated with the 2003 model under NHTSA campaign id number 10V176000 (electronic stability control, traction control system). The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Aug 232011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc/trac activation and system warning lights came on while the system intermittently activated, locking up/letting go of the right rear tire while on dry level pavement and driving forward. I took it to a shop, which found a problem in a steering sensor, "the computer" and possibly a wheel sensor. They suggested that the system be disabled until it could be troubleshoot in more detail. I had them disable it so that it could be driven without the danger of a wheel locking up on the highway. It is still disabled, with dash system warning lights on during operation.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jun 082009

Sequoia 8-cyl

My wife was driving down a paved road on a dry day and the vehicle swerved to the left accompanied by horrible grinding noises and beeping sounds and the vsc/trac lights on. It was very scary. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. It worked for a few miles and then it happened again the same swerving to the left w/ the grinding noises. The vehicle is unsafe to drive. I researched it on, and the Toyota forums and it seems to be a common problem. When will Toyota fix this problem? I love the truck but it is unsafe to use.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle vsc and trac is auto-engaging during a drive without cause. The vehicle will jerk to a side, and a grinding noise will occur until the vehicle comes to a stop. Braking is slow and takes much longer to stop the vehicle. Electronic beeping is also heard throughout. Vsc and trac lights come on and stay on after the incident until the vehicle is turned off.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jul 302013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was traveling on the highway at approximately 70mph when what sounded to be the right front ABS come on jerking my vehicle to the right nearly colliding with the vehicle next to me. Immediately after the brake locking up, which lasted for about a second, the vehicle skid control "off" light came on and a loud beeping noise was heard. I parked, shopped, and the lights were off when returning to the vehicle. Then the incident happened once more in the five mile drive home from the market on the highway almost causing a vehicle to crash into the rear of mine and pulling me nearly uncontrollably into the wall.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 102013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving on dry, straight highway when vsc light and trac light come on and beeping started. Vehicle starting trying to engage 4WD I think...lots of grinding in the front end and steering shaking. Went on for about 2 minutes then stopped. Vehicle not easy to control when this happened. Has happened multiple times since. Taking to mechanic this week. Not safe for wife and kids to be driving.

- Amity, OR, USA

Aug 132011

Sequoia 8-cyl

On August 13, 2011 while traveling on I-75 South of atlanta a vehicle left the road & attempted to return and over corrected, he struck our Sequoia with such force in the rear driver side passenger door that the rear of the our Sequoia immediately turned sideways and we begin to flip. After flipping we landed on the passenger side and slid approx 1/4 of a mile before coming to resting place in the median on the passengers side. My wife &13 year old son were severely injured, myself and my other 2 sons sustained injuries but none were life threatening. Neither my wife's nor my sons seat belt locked and once the windows blew out my son was dragged down the interstate causing severe injuries to his head, back, arm and leg. My wife sustained worse injuries, her arm 6 inches & 6 inches below her elbow was cut off. None of the side curtain airbags deployed and neither seatbelt "fired" properly allowing my wife and son to sustain life altering injuries. No one doubts that if the safety features we paid additional $ for had functioned properly, the outcome could have been much better. Soon after the accident I contacted Toyota to have the incident investigated. An "independent" investigator read the vehicle edr (blackbox) soon thereafter I received a letter stating that Toyota had no responsibility. When I called and spoke to the Toyota rep that signed the letter, he was immediately on the defensive. He yelled and tried using intimidation techniques to get me to "go away". my wife is now permanently disabled and unable to work as an rn. I have owned 7 Toyota vehicles & paid extra for the side curtain airbags, we as consumers have been deceived by Toyota selling us on safety and reliability. I will never own another Toyota. I take every opportunity to tell other perspective car purchasers my story & the failure of Toyota to take care of their loyal owners. Buyer beware.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Apr 152013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Loyal Toyota owner. All of a sudden beeping, grinding noise, vsc/trac light goes on, passenger front brake locks & very difficult to control the vehicle pulling to one side. The speed was estimated at 35-50 mph, dry road conditions. This problem had been noted several times randomly vehicle skid control (vsc) simply engages at normal speeds. It's the exact same problem as the 2003 which the vsc system & components was recalled. Disappointed with Toyota 2002 not included with recall! unsafe to drive and is dangerous! an accident waiting to happen!

- Sunbury, OH, USA

May 142013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia, I pulled into traffic and all of a sudden the truck lost power as cars swerved around me and a violent grinding noise started. A skid control light started flashing. I could feel the grinding on the brake pedal. After a few seconds, the truck beeped and 2 more lights came on. The "trac off" and "vsc" came on. After that the truck drove normal. This has happened multiple times now! I no longer feel safe on the road as this seems to happen at any moment. I have read all about this problem on the internet. Many Sequoia owners have had these same problems. Why will Toyota not fix these problems"?? what has to happen for them to feel responsible?"

- Ellenton, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Trac off, vsc trac lights came on as the rear wheel locked up for a sec. Loss of power, vehicle pulled hard to the right almost causing collision with 18 wheeler on highway.

- Belton, TX, USA

May 162013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving on a highway around 10:30pm, and all of a sudden I hear grinding noise and vsc/trac light goes on. Reduced speed because I felt as though I may lose control of vehicle. Vsc/trac light stays on, then goes off. Less than 30 minutes later, I hear beeping noise and vsc/trac light comes back on. This same incident has happened a week ago, where I pulled over the side of the road thinking it was a flat because I felt like I was losing control then too, but no flat. Trac control issue then too (hearing grinding noise). Concerned because it seems I may lose control.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While traveling home at normal speed the vsc/trac lights came on and the vehicle began vibrating and making a grinding noise. After stopping on the side of the road, I called my husband and was told to turn the vehicle off and on to possibly reset the vsc/trac. It seemed to work briefly but it started to do it again. After making it home, my husband drove the vehicle initially without any issues. However, he attempted to take the vehicle to the store and the problem started again. He noted audible alerts and the vsc/trac lights illuminating, grinding from what seemed to be the passenger side front tire. He had to pull off to the side of the road; however, found it difficult to control the vehicle. The speed was estimated at 35-40 mph, dry conditions with no obvious road conditions or issues. Smoke was observed coming from the passenger front of the vehicle. This problem had been noted several time randomly over the past two years, but has seemingly been resolved by turning the vehicle off and back on. This was the first time that the issue has persisted, and the increased difficulty in steering.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA