2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

May 312014

Sequoia 8-cyl

First incident: On the freeway car all of a sudden made a beeping sound (similar to no seat belt sound) vehicle lost power almost like it downshifted. Vsc, trac off lights all came on and the car wouldn't brake! I had to consistently pump on the brake and pull the emergency brake to slow it down. Brakes were grinding and it felt as if it was trying to lock but yet skipping (clunk, clunk, cluck). Pulled off to the side, turned off engine, and then resumed. I had to pull over 5 separate times due to the same issue. Luckily I allowed myself a huge space in between myself and other cars. If not, there would had been a for sure accident. Car continues with the same problems. I've done a whole lot of researching in regards to this vehicle and it seems that it's a ECU issue. I am aware that Toyota has recalled all 2003 model Sequoia's on up but not 2002 on under. This is a huge safety concern of mine and even if I purchased a new ECU there is not guarantee that it's been addressed or fixed for this model. According to the Toyota rep. I just got off the phone with 30 minutes ago. Please help! and thank you in advance.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jan 082010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Makes a grinding noise, brakes on one side and pulls to one side. Skid indicator light, trac off light, and vsc light all come on and stay on. Vehicle decelerates momentarily, then resumes normal driving. Lights stay on until you turn off the vehicle.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Jun 172014

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was leaving a parking lot making yielding to make a right turn onto a main right when suddenly my car started to shake and pulled to the right. I had no control of the steering or brakes. The vsc trac and trac light sensor lights came one and I heard this awful grinding noise. I proceeded to drive home slowly on back roads. Once I got home I looked the problem up on the internet and found out that Toyota had a recall on the 2003 model for the same problem, but not the 2002. I called the dealership and they told me the problem will cost anywhere from $1500-$4000 to fix. My car only has 114,000 miles on it and I find this totally unacceptable. This is obviously a manufacture defect.

- Fortson, GA, USA

Jun 132014

Sequoia 8-cyl

On interstate twice doing the posted speed 75mph I heard a grinding, vsc antilock brake lights come on, vehicle suddenly pulls to the right. Luckily I gained control and avoided a major accident. Have had brakes checked and now told its the sensor. Very costly repairs. Toyota should have a recall on this issue. Could cause a deadly accident.

- Denison, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Sequoia

The ABS, vsc, and brake warning light came on. Took to dealership per owners manual and they wanted up to $4,000 to replace various computers and sensors. There seems to be nothing wrong with performance of vehicle and I suspect it is just an issue with a sensor or the warning light itself. Should be easy and inexpensive fix but dealership seems to be taking advantage of the situation. Researched on internet and found many, many other Toyota owners with the same issue with the same vehicle. This should be a recall and Toyota should step up and fix (or be forced to fix) this cronic issue with these vehicles.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 052014

Sequoia

Was traveling along road at 20 mph and the vsc lights came on. I had heard about the other problems that occur when this happens so I immediately pulled to the side of the road and turned the car off and then restarted it. Upon restarting, no indication of the problem persisted. So far it has not happened again. I am worried that it will happen again as has been described hundreds of times already. Please fix this issue Toyota!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Kellogg, ID, USA

Mar 032014

Sequoia

I have a 2002 Sequoia, a couple of weeks ago while driving at 35 mph my brakes locked. I took it immediately to my brake guy; he looked it over, put it on the machine, found nothing. I left thinking it might have been something on the road that I missed seeing, that set off the traction sensors. A week went by without incident before it happened again; this time at 40mph on a flat clean highway. The trac off, vsc trac & the slip indicator light came on while the front end shook violently and pulled hard to the right. I was unable to adjust the brake, as it felt locked and my steering column, while vibrating madly was near impossible to turn, it was like driving an old style truck without power steering. I went to another brake shop, they hooked it up to the machine, and again nothing showed up!! today, five days later, while driving home with my children on a major highway doing the posted 65mph it happened again. I was suddenly unable to maneuver my vehicle, the brakes locked, the steering locked, and my vehicle pulled to the right. I just held on and prayed as my car pulled off the road, thank heavens the ground was flat. I have only been that afraid for my family's safety once before, and that was in the middle of a tornado. Toyota has a serious problem here!

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Mar 122003

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have had an issue with my vsc/trac off light since we bought it. The light would come on at seemingly random times, stay on until I restarted the truck - we were told it was not something we needed to worry about by the dealerships in fort worth (fort worth Toyota). Recently (2/2014 & 3/2014), as I was coming down a hill in our neighborhood, approaching a stop sign, there was a grinding sound and the vehicle would seem to be stopping instead of accelerating - and the vsc lights came on again. I immediately pulled over and stopped; I couldn't see anything wrong under the hood or near the wheel wells, which is where it sounded like it was coming from. It did not continue and did not happen again for about a week. The next time it happened I was on the highway at about 70 mph. It grinded for about a second and slowed me down abruptly, then stopped grinding. Pretty hairy situation, going 70 and having your brakes slow you down. I have not had the issue looked at by a technician yet and am not driving the truck. In researching it, I found hundreds of online complaints and a recall for the 2003 model year on your website. [NHTSA campaign number: 10V176000 ] obviously, the 2002 model year should have been included, as I am seeing the exact same problem.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Sep 292013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle had violent grinding and braking of the right front wheel causing a hard pull to the right. Vsc and trac lights and warning buzzers came on. Turned vehicle off and restarted five minutes later. Same thing has happened three times since within 6 months. The last time was on the interstate and caused hard pull to the right. Dealer cannot identify problem and claim they have never heard of this before.

- Ft Walton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 272010

Sequoia

My traction lights have been on and have remained on for several years now. My husband says my panel looks like a christmas tree. I have contacted the dealership to see if there was a recall but was advised there is not. I haven't had any issues, until this past weekend, other than not realizing I had engaged my emergency brake since the light constantly stays on. I nearly wrecked this weekend. It was dark and raining. I had to apply the brakes to miss another car, the brakes locked up and started sliding out of control. Luckily I was able to get it stopped in time to avoid another accident. My traction control doesn't work either, I guess it went out when all the other control lights went out. I just wonder if the airbags work, hope I don't have to find out the hard way. I keep reading numerous complaints on the 2002 model but haven't seen a recall. Appears there was a recall on the 2003 model for the same issues. My steering column is broken. I had it checked out several years ago. Apparently the main metal component is broken and therefore my gears engagement doesn't light up when I am in drive. If someone else drives my car, they don't know what gear it's in. I ready many complaints about the same but no recall. My rear hatch handle has broken 2 times now within a year of the other which costs me $100 to repair each time. It appears to be cheaply made and plastic and it can't be repaired without a lot of labor to dismantle the rear door plate on the inside to install a new handle. My main concern is the electronic stability control system.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Nov 092009

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving vehicle on interstate when it suddenly braked and pulled to the right, creating a dangerous situation just avoiding the car next to me.vsc and trac lights came on.dealer replaced numerous parts and vehicle has been ok for a few years, then lights are on again and more parts replaced...now lights on again and dealer diagnosed it as brake master cylinder, ,,$825, ,, after spending thousands already on this problem..I had a independent repair shop replace master cylinder and lights still on with 3 new codes..love the vehicle but so sick of this issue...and worry about it suddenly braking and pulling...02 needs a recall..

- Tequesta, FL, USA

Jan 092013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving on the freeway on a dry day, traveling at 65 mph and noticed the trac control, ABS, and brake lights all illuminate. I thought this was interesting. As I drove at steady 65mph I noticed the vehicle become unstable, I could feel the rear end being very wish-washy, to the point I had to slow the vehicle down to about 55 mph so that it would feel more stable. I drive this same stretch of freeway often and have never had the truck act like this until the lights became illuminated. I took the truck to my mechanic, they performed some diagnostic testing and did some investigating and found nothing wrong, no tripped codes or anything else pointing to something needing to be replaced. While they worked on the vehicle they had at some point disconnected the battery, resetting the computer, this seemed to solve the problem until last week, 9/23/2013 when the lights same lights illuminated again. This second time I never noticed the rear-end being slippery as I did in the first case. Thank goodness. I was on a long trip 600 miles from home. I worried that when these lights are illuminated that if I'm required to do a quick stop or maneuver to avoid something I may end up in a really bad situation. But with the lights being illuminated twice in a year span I'm beginning to think that this could be an ongoing problem. I'm don't like the unpredictability of when the lights illuminate.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 232013

Sequoia 8-cyl

A week prior my vsc trac and vsc off lights came on but nothing else occurred. Now out of nowhere my vehicle will make an audible sound and start rumbling and pulling to the right and slowing but won't allow me to brake. This can last anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. Sometimes the picture of the car with the skid marks will light up (even on dry roads) other times the ABS light will come on. Once the beeping and vibrations stop, the vsc trac and vsc off lights remain on until I turn the car off. I drive 30 miles each way to work daily. This is very dangerous and scary as I have no idea what triggers the episodes.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 132013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Car was going 20mph on dry pavement. All of the sudden the vehicle stability control (vsc) activated causing the vehicle to shake and slowdown. When the vsc is engaged car is unable to accelerate. This happen on multiple times with car going 20-40mph. On roads with high traffic with cars behind me and the sudden activation of the vsc, causing my car to suddenly and abruptly slow down, almost cause the car behind to rear end my vehicle. On one occasions, my children were in the car. On many internet forums, many Sequoia owners are experiencing the same problem. This is a very dangerous defects that Toyota needs to address and fix asap.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 022013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph the vsc and trac control system activated independently with the warning indicators illuminated. A loud grinding noise emitted from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and they were unable to detect a trouble code nor duplicate the failure. The vsc and trac control system wires were disabled. There was a recall associated with the 2003 model under NHTSA campaign id number 10V176000 (electronic stability control, traction control system). The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Aug 232011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc/trac activation and system warning lights came on while the system intermittently activated, locking up/letting go of the right rear tire while on dry level pavement and driving forward. I took it to a shop, which found a problem in a steering sensor, "the computer" and possibly a wheel sensor. They suggested that the system be disabled until it could be troubleshoot in more detail. I had them disable it so that it could be driven without the danger of a wheel locking up on the highway. It is still disabled, with dash system warning lights on during operation.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jun 082009

Sequoia 8-cyl

My wife was driving down a paved road on a dry day and the vehicle swerved to the left accompanied by horrible grinding noises and beeping sounds and the vsc/trac lights on. It was very scary. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. It worked for a few miles and then it happened again the same swerving to the left w/ the grinding noises. The vehicle is unsafe to drive. I researched it on edmunds.com, carproblemzoo.com and the Toyota forums and it seems to be a common problem. When will Toyota fix this problem? I love the truck but it is unsafe to use.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle vsc and trac is auto-engaging during a drive without cause. The vehicle will jerk to a side, and a grinding noise will occur until the vehicle comes to a stop. Braking is slow and takes much longer to stop the vehicle. Electronic beeping is also heard throughout. Vsc and trac lights come on and stay on after the incident until the vehicle is turned off.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jul 302013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was traveling on the highway at approximately 70mph when what sounded to be the right front ABS come on jerking my vehicle to the right nearly colliding with the vehicle next to me. Immediately after the brake locking up, which lasted for about a second, the vehicle skid control "off" light came on and a loud beeping noise was heard. I parked, shopped, and the lights were off when returning to the vehicle. Then the incident happened once more in the five mile drive home from the market on the highway almost causing a vehicle to crash into the rear of mine and pulling me nearly uncontrollably into the wall.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 102013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving on dry, straight highway when vsc light and trac light come on and beeping started. Vehicle starting trying to engage 4WD I think...lots of grinding in the front end and steering shaking. Went on for about 2 minutes then stopped. Vehicle not easy to control when this happened. Has happened multiple times since. Taking to mechanic this week. Not safe for wife and kids to be driving.

- Amity, OR, USA