2003 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Feb 062013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vsc trac, vsc and the ABS warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that when she attempted to engage the brakes, the brake seized, causing the vehicle to slide across the pavement. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sensor position for the steering angle sensor needed to be replaced and the electronic control unit needed to be updated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V176000 (electronic stability control, traction control system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Mar 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The Toyota Sequoia went nose down and started to make a grinding noise pulling hard to the right. Loss of power happened and I had no control. I tried to accelerate but it seemed like there was no response. It has done this three times. I feel like I will hit someone or someone will hit me!

- Headland, AL, USA

Mar 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

My wife was on freeway, driving our 2003 Toyota Sequoia limited 2wd, when vsc light lit up and a buzzer sounded. At the same time, her vehicle started to decelerate on its own, causing vehicles behind her to have to brake to keep from rear-ending her vehicle. This was accompanied by a horrific grinding and banging sound. My wife found a safer place to pull to the side of the freeway and stop the vehicle. A tow truck was called and vehicle was "flat-bed" towed to repair garage.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Nov 012012

Vsc, trac, brake lights.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Nov 072012

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vsc and ABS warning indicators illuminated. The malfunction occurred after NHTSA campaign id number 10V176000 (electronic stability control, traction control system) was completed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The failure mileage was unavailable..

- Sacremento, CA, USA

Nov 032012

There was no accident, but one is coming unless this gets fixed. The vtrac control system that there is a recall on select models in the 2003 model year is affecting mine as well, Toyota states they won't fix it under recall despite being a serious safety hazard.

- Saint Johns, FL, USA

Oct 112011

Sequoia 8-cyl

One day the vsc trac, vsc off, brake, ABS lights all came on the dash, shortly after this happened we received a recall notice in the mail stating this exact problem. So I made an appointment at our local Toyota dealership for them to look at it and fix. The first time I dropped it off for the day they called after and said the machine to test the vehicle was down, and that it would be a day or two before it was repaired, well I needed my vehicle so I went a picked it up. About a month later I made another appointment and returned to the dealership where they finally tested my vehicle and proceeded to tell me that my vehicle did not fit the criteria for VIN identification. I really do not know how this is possible considering all the information stated on the recall is exactly what is wrong with my vehicle. After days of research I have learned that multiple sensors and ECU needs to be replaced costing in the range of $2000 plus dollars. Also I have read multiple consumer complaints just like this one. These lights are on the vehicle for a reason and Toyota put the recall out for a reason so fix the problems!!!!

- Charodn, OH, USA

Mar 082011

Problem one: "brake" warning light comes on at random but then doesn't come back on at next restart of car. Brake fluid and all mechanics are ok. Braking doesn't seem to be affected but I am worried that there will be an ABS failure that I'll ignore because of this faulty warning light. Sometimes the stability control activates for no reason at low speed. Problem two: Frame is nearly rusted out. There is a recall for the similar Tundra, and supposedly a recall for these particular Sequoias in some states, but nothing comes up for my vehicle in Indiana. Vehicle, purchased from Toyota dealer oxmoor Toyota a year ago, is unsafe to drive.

- Depauw, IN, USA

Sep 012012

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that she received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 10V176000 (electronic stability control) and took the vehicle to a dealer for repairs however, the dealer stated that the repair repairs could not be performed because the check engine light was illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they transferred her back to the dealer ship. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Aug 172012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, vsc off, brake, ABS lights... all on, all at once. There is obviously a quality control issue with these that Toyota does not want to be on the hook for. Many others went to the national highway safety program and filed a complaint. If they get enough of these they will go to the manufacturer and issue a recall.

- Vancouver , WA, USA

May 052011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc traction control & antilock brake light on. Vehicle skid on wet surface while making turns at normal speed.

- Green Brook, NJ, USA

May 252012

Sequoia 8-cyl

I just bought this used 2003 Toyota Sequoia on May 25, 2012. I noticed the warning lights indicating a defective traction control system and ABS system on my way home from the dealership. They assured me the system works fine and that it has something to do with the computer module. All the following warning lights are on at the same time: Trac, vsc off, and ABS lights. I also checked the vehicle history on the Toyota website and it is recorded that the Toyota dealer worked on this problem on 07/23/2009 when the car had 97,187 miles. I have done a lot of research on this and it seems 50,000 Sequoia's were recalled for this problem, however, my Sequoia's VIN was not on the list. Please help. In addition the lighting on the dashboard does not work.

- Bowling Green , OH, USA

May 022012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicle ABS, trac and vsc trac sensors are on and will not go away unless computers and sensors are replaced. Dealers have indicated the replacement of sensors and computers may not resolve the problem.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Nov 012011

Sequoia 8-cyl

ABS, vac, trac light on.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 132006

Sequoia 8-cyl

Continuous problems with ABS vsc check engine lights. These lights have gone on several times through the last 9 years, 90,000 miles. We have brought this vehicle to Toyota dealers as well as mechanics many times. We have replaced the yaw rate sensor, oxygen sensor and were quoted a price of 2500 to replace another sensor/computer. Other times they cannot read the codes in order to make a diagnosis. A few months later the lights are back on. Many other 03 Sequoia owners have had similar problems. We feel that there is a major defect in these Sequoias that Toyota has not taken responsibility for. This is a safety issue/concern.they prefer to tell us the vehicle is not under warranty anymore.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Feb 182011

Sequoia 8-cyl

ABS, vcs trac light, brake light on/off.

- Roxbury, MA, USA

Feb 062012

Sequoia 8-cyl

During my work commute this morning the "vsc trac" and "vsc off" lights came on at the same time and stayed on.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 152011

Sequoia 8-cyl

It was raining, I was going around a turn,10 - 15 mph the back tire started to spin, the vsc trac, vsc off, and ABS lights came on, this is after the trk. Went to the dealer to check out a recall on the vsc. They said it wasn't under a recall, we parked the Sequoia and wont drive it until it's repaired, safety reasons, I moved it, tried to go over a curb on an angle and the right rear tire just was spinning on the asphalt road. This cant be good for the Sequoia, its 4 wheel drive, and its making a noise, in the drive train, clunking?? it slides in the rain (bad ) and wont stop on wet roads very well, it slides to a stop. I don't have alot of time to research the vsc problem, but it sounds like all the Sequoia's 03-05 have the same problem, for the cost of this trk. I hope Toyota will fix this problem.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Apr 012005

Sequoia 8-cyl

A few months after we purchased the vehicle in December 2004 we noticed that the traction lights are coming on periodically. We took the car to Toyota service to check the issue and been charged hundreds of dollars for diagnosis and sensor replacement. However the problem was not solved and even got worst: The traction and brake lights were continuously on now. In 2010 we received a notice about a recall with regard to the above issue and brought the car to Toyota dealership located at 4248 morse rd., columbus, oh 43230. The car was serviced but a few hours afterwards all the lights were on again. When we returned to the same dealership with the same complaint we were told that the recall was on the vehicle computer adjustment, which was done, and that and any additional services will be charged in full. We looked up the recall document and realized that it is clearly specified under remedy that: If the reflash cannot be completed on a particular vehicle, the ECU will be replaced with a new one. This service will be performed free of charge. Since the manufacturer dealership is refusing to comply with the recall requirements we would like to bring the issue to your attention and seek your intervention.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Aug 072011

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where the dealer performed a diagnostic test and the result indicated a faulty vehicle stability control system. The dealer also stated that the vehicle stability control system needed to be replaced. The contact noticed a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 10V176000 (electronic stability control) and notified the manufacturer. The manufacturer informed the contact that the vehicle was manufacturer after the dates indicated in the recall. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Wilmington, NC, USA