2003 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Aug 012008

Sequoia

Brake light comes on intermittently. Dealer says the skip control computer which includes vsc/ABS brake system on vehicle, this is an expensive fix. My last service on this vehicle was a complete brake replacement after which the brake light started to come on at random. The brake light has to be on in order to check the vehicle, which is an inconvenience in itself. I finally managed to catch the brake light on and this is what I was confronted with. No injuries or death so far it that what it's going to take to have this problem corrected.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 212009

Sequoia 4WD

I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD. It has been giving me the same problem since I bought it in 2003 brand new. The vsc off light and engine check lights are on almost all the time. I brought it to the dealer several times and they told me that it was due to the sensors on the brakes or that I needed a new brake pad and rotor. I have been doing the replacement deals for the past three times already and it is still giving me the same problem. I found out that there are many car owners who have reported the same problem and that it is due to a computer malfunction. It becomes a greater problem because the computer disables the vehicle control mechanism resulting in loss of skid control. The brakes fail to engage and there is no traction during a skid. It is a potentially hazardous situation when driving during the winter or when it is raining and the roads are wet and slippery. I was told to unplug the battery and plug it back it to restart the computer but it does not keep the vsc off and engine light from coming on. I am bringing it to the dealer again and hope to get them to really fix the problem. Since this problem has been reported by many car owners, there should be a recall and the highway safety commission should require Toyota to fix this problem for all owners for free.

- Chestnut Hill, MA, USA

Oct 102006

Sequoia

Vsc/trac off & ABS failure requiring computer and yaw sensor replacement. I took my 2003 Sequoia to the local dealers service dept. In 2006 because the lights mentioned above were on. They could not find anything wrong. I told them the car was making a loud noise and the steering wheel was pulling to the side - very hard to control. They could not mimic the problem and told me there was nothing wrong. I argued with them, but lost that argument. Luckily for me the battery needed replacing in a few months, and when replaced problem went away. Now that my warranty has expired (last month) the vsc/trac off and ABS lights are on again. I didn't rush it in because of my prior experience or I would have had it in while it was under warranty. Now they want $2200 to replace computer and yaw rate sensor. I see this is a very common problem and I am very unhappy with the service department and Toyota. I contacted Toyota and they refuse any responsibility although this is a very well know issue. It could be very dangerous under the right conditions. Luckily my driving is in a very small community and I don't drive very fast.

- Lompoc, CA, USA

Jan 092008

Sequoia

Vsc off and vsc trac warning lights keep coming on along with check engine light. Had reset every time. Dealer is vague on cause and says probably gas cap seal. Replaced oxygen components one time. Happening again. I suspect faulty part or computer with the car that is not yet documented.

- Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, USA

Dec 132008

Sequoia

Similar complaint as many. I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia the vsc/trac light is on. Dealership says skid control computer needs to be repaired. But computer scanner shows no codes that verify any defects.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Dec 102008

Sequoia

Vsc, ABS and trac light coming on.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Nov 042008

Sequoia

I bought 2003 Toyota Sequoia. I am getting the vsc traction control and ABS light on. Checked with other Sequoia owner and they have similar problem. I went to checked the car and was told that the ECU computer is faulty. The faulty ECU needs to be replaced. Since this is wide spread problem with 03 Sequoia it should be recalled. This is a safety issue. Here are the codes: C1203, C1223, C1244.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 252008

Sequoia

Vsc off, ABS, brake and tcs lights came on at the same time only at full stop (engine running). As soon as taking off (driving) with over 5 km/hr, all light went off. Stopping the vehicle, all light will came on again. This cycle repeating with each and every stop. Dealer determined than one of the vacuum hose cracked and reduced pressure at idle would cause light to come on. Once hose have been replaced, problem was resolved. Strongly advise Sequoia owners before replacing any commuter components or expensive module, to talk to their dealers and have the vacuum system checked prior to any other steps. It is the less costly repair before any major ones.

- Burnaby, 00, USA

Nov 052006

Sequoia

Skid control ECU module does not work on 2003 Toyota Sequoia. Vsc /trac lights come on. Nothing should have made this component fail dealer will not replace - out of warranty. Multiple similar problems discussed online yet manufacture will not admit issue with workmanship. Toyota needs to do a recall on this part (895410C062).

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Aug 202008

Sequoia

03 Toyota Sequoia. Vsc, ABS, parking brake light came on. At 52,000 miles while driving. Yaw sensor defective.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Aug 062008

Sequoia

The ABS and skid control lights are on in my 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The dealer states that the skid control computer needs to be replaced. So right now, there is no skid control or ABS available on my car because of this computer is bad. Toyota will not do anything about it and I have filed a complaint case 200810010613. This is a safety issue.

- Colleyville, TX, USA

Sep 012008

Sequoia

Vsc/trac and engine light came on. Dealer said problem was O2 sensor. They replaced 02 sensor and all lights cleared. After one week the vsc0/trac lights came back on and they go on and off every time we drive the truck. Dealer said we need to replace skid control ECU. We decided not to replace the unit because of $1800 cost.

- Laplata , MD, USA

Sep 212008

Sequoia

Purchased new in 07/2003, on 9/21/08, our Sequoia with only 39,000 miles had its vsc trac, vsc off, & ABS lights come on for no apparent reason. There was a bad sensor and a bad ECU. We located tsb.BR006-06 for this problem where the recommended fix is replacement of the skid control computer because of a change in the software to correct the problem. This is a very expensive part. Toyota customer service would not help. My dealer wanted $1,300 for the ECU and $330 for the sensor, but I got them down to $940 for the ECU and $240 for the sensor. After tax it was about $1300, plus $255 for three hours of labor. This is clearly, in my opinion a software bug, since the new ECU has a new program as stated in the tsb. IżM pretty upset that a software bug isn't a manufacturing defect, but the responsibility of the vehicle owner. IżM going to approach an attorney to start a class action on this matter. Hopefully, it will be worth their contingency.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 012008

Sequoia

2003 Toyota skid control computer, I am writing to request that a formal complaint be filed to Toyota. I recently took my car into my local Toyota dealership because of a few lights that we on in my dash. The specific lights were the vsc, vsc off and the ABS lights. After doing some research I see that this is a fairly common problem with Toyota and their skid control computers. The problem is that it is not covered under the powertrain warranty and is a very expensive part to have replaced. My quote was for $1800 excluding tax. I purchased the vehicle with 47,000 miles and was offered an extended warranty up to 60,000, but it was a very expensive extended warranty so I decided to pass. The manufactures warranty for my car was 55,000 miles I believe and the lights came on at 55,500 miles....of course. I sincerely hope that there can be some sort of resolve for this such as a recall of the skid control computer or changing this issue to be covered under the power train section of the warranty as it is unfair for there to be so many people to be having the same problem around the same mileage and some of those people have serious consequences to the computers malfunction such as accidents and possible death. Please take whatever action necessary to solve this unnecessary issue.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jun 052008

Sequoia

Toyota Sequoia 2003, vtrac and ABS lights came up on the dash during a very wet interstate trek to Michigan from California. Had no cruise control before this, the cruise control failed the year before during the same wet trek across country! the Toyota dealer in saginaw Michigan told us that the computer controlling the vtrac and ABS was displaying fault codes and needed to be replaced, cost $1200. This is a 5 year old vehicle with 70K miles on it now (the fault happened around 66K miles) which is now much harder to handle under heavy braking, which we need more and more with the low quality drivers out there. If the gas prices weren't so high, this truck would be out of here here, but we can't afford to sell it for the current value, and buy another vehicle, so this SUV will now be limited to trips where we need the storage/towing capacity. So, even though we have 2 cars, we only really have 1 1/2 now.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Aug 052008

Sequoia

The vehicle stabilization control compute failed for the second time and has taken out my ABS brakes. The computer that controls is has failed both times.

- Coralville, IA, USA

Aug 252008

Sequoia

Vsc, tcs lights go on after a noise coming from right anterior wheel / engine. Lights stay on.

- Milford , CT, USA

Aug 272008

Sequoia

On 4 occasions dash light indicating vsc and brake problem appeared. Each time the braking of the 2003 Toyota Sequoia was compromised. Each time the truck was brought to Toyota service center for repair. Each Toyota said they could not replicate the problem but replaced skid computer anyway. 8/20/08 problem recurred with dash brake indicator light coming on. Braking again compromised, heard loud "clunking sound" coming from car while driving. Immediately brought to scottsdale Toyota service center. Again, said they could not replicate problem and returned car with no repair. Called Toyota customer service and filed a complaint. Toyota indicated complaint is now on record. Problem with dash brake light coming on and braking diminished recurred again 8/27/08. After shutting engine off, indicator no longer lit and braking back to normal. I fear for both my safety and my families. Simple google search indicates a large number of Sequoia owners are having the same problem.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jun 152006

Sequoia

I have a concern over why the ABS, brake, and other lights would come on for no apparent reason on my 2003 Toyota Sequoia. On some websites I have found that this is not an isolated problem. Wanting to know if action has been pursued for a recall in this matter. This occurs everyday, once the car is warmed up.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jul 082008

Sequoia

Toyota Sequoia 2003, bought new my complaint echoes what a lot of others are experiencing regarding the skid control computer which apparently affects the vsc/abc/ebrake. Problem was identified over a year ago with the ebrake light randomly coming on during normal driving (restarting the car usually resolves), but eventually got to a point where the car thinks it's in a vehicle skid control situation and ABS triggers and apply pressure to the gas pedal is inoperable. Extremely dangerous situation as we were driving through our neighborhood filled with kids (and have 2 of our own) seems to be a pretty significant issue out there someone needs to look into it.

- Issaquah, WA, USA