2.2

2003 Toyota Sequoia suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Apr 292016

Sequoia

I purchase this 2003 Toyota Sequoia in 2003 brand new and at the moment the frame is rusting at an alarming rate. I would like to know if the manufacturer (Toyota) is making any plans to rectifying this problem?

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 032015

Sequoia

The vehicle was making noises while driving that we could not identify. My daughter was driving it to pick up a friend and when she turned into the driveway, the right rear axle disconnected from the frame. The overall frame is entirely rusted out. Pretty big safety issue. Thankfully, she was not driving faster when this occurred.

- Westminster, MA, USA

Sep 042014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Going around a turn in the mountains at a slow speed, my traction control kicks in and there is a grinding noise, I loose the use of the brakes completely until the traction control turns off. I took it to the dealer and they told me my springs and shocks were bad. I replaced all 4 of the springs and shocks and the problem persists. This is very dangerous and scary.

- Malibu, CA, USA

Jan 222013

Sequoia

Received a letter from Toyota for a limited service campaign, for rusting of the frame. I took my Toyota to koons Toyota in annapolis, md. They called me the next day and said it failed for rust. There was a hole in my frame and Toyota would replace the frame at no cost to me. Then they called me to tell me it would cost $6,400 to replace everything under the vehicle, because it was so rusted out that when they took the parts off they would crumble. Two days later they called and told me it would cost $6,900 to replace parts. They called last night and said it would cost me $7,845 and they could not guarantee the price would not be higher.they sent me pictures of my frame and there is a large hole in the frame. My question is shouldn't I get my truck back in working condition without me paying for anything? I contacted Toyota in ca. And talked to the rust specialist, and he said they would not pay for my parts. My husband and I are retired and live on a fixed income. We can not afford to pay for the parts. The truck has been paid for once, why should I take out a loan for a truck that has been paid for. The dealer also asked us to come pick up my truck if I would not authorize to pay for the parts. When I picked up my truck today, they said if anything happened to the truck while I was driving it home, they would not be responsible, because I didn't get it fixed. Please make Toyota recall these rusted trucks back. The rusted frame also includes Tundra, because they use the same frame. Thank you.

- Lothian, MD, USA

Mar 082011

Sequoia

Problem one: "brake" warning light comes on at random but then doesn't come back on at next restart of car. Brake fluid and all mechanics are ok. Braking doesn't seem to be affected but I am worried that there will be an ABS failure that I'll ignore because of this faulty warning light. Sometimes the stability control activates for no reason at low speed. Problem two: Frame is nearly rusted out. There is a recall for the similar Tundra, and supposedly a recall for these particular Sequoias in some states, but nothing comes up for my vehicle in Indiana. Vehicle, purchased from Toyota dealer oxmoor Toyota a year ago, is unsafe to drive.

- Depauw, IN, USA

Aug 102012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Frame is completely rusted and cracked in various areas.

- Clintondale, NY, USA

Jul 212012

Sequoia 8-cyl

I took the Sequoia to a mechanic to repair a clunking noise in the front and squeaking noise in the back. Upon examination, the mechanic noticed unusually advanced rust and corrosion for a vehicle of its age. For safety reasons, the mechanic warned against driving the vehicle until repairs were made. Mechanic had to cut out front passenger control arm bolts, rear shock mounts, and other hardware due to the corrosion. Mechanic noted that future repairs will require the same cutting and replacement of new hardware. This corrosion issue may be related to the 2000-2003 Toyota Tundra recall of 2009, since the Sequoia shares the chassis and manufacturing facility with the Tundra.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Apr 092012

Sequoia 8-cyl

There is an extreme amount of rust on the frame of my wife's 2003 Sequoia. The rust is just flaking off in huge chunks which is more than just the under coat of paint, its actual chunks of disintegrated/corroded metal. I can not believe the Tundra frames which were produced on the same manufacturing line and used the same metal as the Sequoia were recalled but the Sequoia's are not. Most of the frame damage seems to be isolated to the rear of the car.

- Ft Mitchell, KY, USA

Nov 252011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The frame on my vehicle cracked, and this caused the top of the strut to come up through the floorboard. The Toyota dealer, body shop, and independent insurance appraiser say that this was not caused by an accident or other impact. They said the frame had metal fatigue and simply failed. This poses a serious hazard if a lightly driven vehicle such as mine, well-cared for and driven in a Suburban setting, the frame would crack in 8 years. I saw online that there was a frame recall for 2001-2003 Tundra and Sequoias (which share the same frame). The recall was for only 18 states where there is heavy snow, causing the frames to rust through. Toyota was forced to replace the entire frame. I believe that the frames were faulty from a manufacturing defect for this to occur. I want to make sure that you have this information as it may be part of a more wide-spread problem that Toyota is not telling anyone about.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Feb 072012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Anti sway bar cannot be connected back to frame since the frame is rusted. I was told that in order to fix it, I would need my entire frame replaced and that none of this was covered under any warranty or recall. Estimated cost of repair is estimated to be at least $13,000. The vehicle is not safe to drive. Since the Sequoia has the same frame as a Tundra, why isn't the Sequoia frame rust problem also being recalled like the Tundra?

- Southborough, MA, USA

Dec 072009

Sequoia

The rust recall for the 2000-2003 Toyota Tundra should also include the Toyota Sequoia's for they are built on the same chasis. I have a lot of visible rust on my 2003 Sequoia and am getting worried about driving my kids in the truck. We do live in Illinois which is one of the states involved in the recall.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jul 302007

Sequoia

The vsc/trac error light on my 2003 Toyota Sequoia with 80,000mi is illuminated and the trac systems is engaging randomly causing the entire vehicle to shake violently and it is difficult to control the vehicle when this happens. I have almost been involved in an accident several times because of the problem. The dealership said the computer will have to be replaced at a cost of $1800. I spoke with the previous owner and she took the vehicle to the dealership on 4 diff occasions for the same problem but it was never corrected. At the time it would have been under warranty. After conducting some research on the web I have found 250+ people who have had the exact same problem with their Sequoias (most of them were models from 2001-2003). I feel there is something causing this to happen and a recall should have been issued. The first incidences are occurring at less than 13,000 miles. My vehicle is only 4 years old and the computer should last longer than that. I value Toyota and the quality of vehicles they produce and I do not understand why customers are being required to replace the computers after such a short period of time. There is obviously a problem and Toyota should be taking care of it.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jan 192007

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia that just had a major computer system failure with the skid control systems. There was no warning, the vsc lights came on in the dashboard and a loud sound came from the engine, like bending metal. This vehicle only has 28K in 3 1/2 years, and that means I'm 6 months past bumper to bumper warranty. I had heard about this problem previously because I had a similar problem within months of buying the car, but that was covered under warranty. As I research on-line at www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/Sequoia, I discovered that many people had the exact same problem and Toyota was not willing to fix the problem. I took the vehicle to Toyota and they replaced 2 computers related to the traction control systems at a cost of $2,300. They replaced: Translate computer assembly & skid control computer assembly. I'm upset because Toyota knows about this dangerous problem, and obvious expensive repair, and will do nothing about it. Moreover, my case is only one of many owners with the same problem. I ask you to review this ever growing issue with Sequoia's and Tundra and persuade Toyota to do the right thing, and issue a recall for the defective computer systems.

- Cary, NC, USA

Feb 132006

Sequoia

I purchased my vehicle from sunnyvale Toyota in Oct of 2002. It is a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. From the time I reached home found multiple problems. Start with hub caps not seated correctly, defective roof racks, entry door molding with inked print on them. Went on to a defective air conditioner compressor, pungent awful smell from the ac, defective radio/ cd changer. Brakes are spongy and don't respond well. If you pump it once it works well. The vehicle repeatedly veers to the right. They have checked it at least 15 times. There is hair in the paint. I went through the ncds process and ended up with a judgment to have them repair the veering problem and air conditioning. Toyota never complied and ncds closed the case without my consent. I worked with Toyota and they finally worked on the trouble. I got a new set of tires but the veering returned. What happens is the tires wear more on the outside of the front right tire. As you rotate the trouble goes away until the tire wears and the problem becomes more pronounces. Now the tires are bald and ncds is giving me trouble to reopen the case or stand behind the arbitrators judgment. Now even the door molding are coming off even with no damage.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 022004

Sequoia 8-cyl

We purchased a 2003 Toyota Sequoia 2wd, in may of 2003. At first the only problem we had was the rotten egg smell, now it's tire problems. Starting in February 2004 my husband have had to take the truck back every two weeks. At first the dealership said that they couldn't find anything. The next time they said that it was the tires, so they replace all of the tires.we had to pay about $150 for the tires.the dealership change from dunlop tire to bf goodrich which is a harder tire, now they we are back with the dunlop tires which is a softer tire. All they are doing is covering up the problem. After changing the tires 3 times, they told us it was the drive shift. They claim they ordered the part it took three weeks to get it in. After getting it in the service manager at reinhardt here in montgomery, Alabama, told my husband that the shop manager didn't think anything was wrong with the truck, but when you are going 60 mph on the interstate the truck start to shakes.now were are on the 4th set of tires what is that. We have contacted the Toyota headquarters for the paper to have the truck inspected again. It took about a month to get them.you can call the Toyota customer service number in the owners manual. I feel if we have enough complaint we can get a recall. Jh montgomery, Alabama.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Dec 092003

Sequoia

When the back windows are rolled down and vehicle is in motion there is a violent wind tunnel that bends the roof and makes a horrendous sound. Vehicle sounds as if it is airborne.

- Smith River, CA, USA