2004 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sequoia:

2004 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 072005

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac lights and brake lights all come on at the same time. I have had this issue since 2005 and Toyota has replace every part they know off.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 282011

After the last brake job the brake light would come on while driving on dry pavement. If you shut the vehicle off it would reset. Have taken it to the dealer several times but nothing could be determined because it could not be replicated. Had it happen once when close to the dealer and they said there was a bulletin out on it. Dealer is trying to charge me to replace and doing research on-line this a very prevalent problem for model years 2002 - 2004.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 172011

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the brake warning light illuminated and the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer advised the contact that nothing was wrong with the vehicle and turned the brake light off. The contact stated that after 1,900 miles, the brake warning light and the stability control warning light was illuminated. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer where the dealer advised that the stability control sensor caused the brake light to illuminate, which needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the stability control sensor replaced. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Sep 292008

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that when braking to make a turn, the ABS brakes would fail and the vehicle would not decelerate, causing the vehicle to skid while turning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the skid control was defective and needed to be replaced. There were no recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 38,000. Updated 11/18/11 the consumer stated the vsc light illuminated and there was a loss of control. The dealer informed the consumer the vsc was defective. The consumer stated a recall was issued for the 2003 model, but there was not enough to open a recall for the 2004 model. Updated 12/02/11

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Sep 082011

I have a 2004 Sequoia at about 62000 miles and have been having problems with the ABS lights. It comes on and off within the last 15000 miles. It would turned off when I restart the engine. Recently I took it to the dealer and they told me that I need to replace the brake booster and skid control ECU. Total estimated cost was about $2500. Since I have low mileage the dealer checked with Toyota to see if this would covered and they said no. Just today the vsc trac, trac off came on while I was driving at about 45mph. This is the first time this happened and I am a little worry about safety. I am going to autozone tonight and get a reading to see what this problem is. Very disappointed with this vehicle especially a Toyota.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Aug 152011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle will suddenly lose power at speed. Vsc light is on at this time. Grinding noise audible.

- Middlebury, CT, USA

Jan 012005

My 2004 Toyota Sequoia at various times will stop accelerating away from a stop if the vehicle is asked to go up or down a slight hill. Other times it does it will no prompting. You are left without power and traffic is oncoming and you can't move out of the way, or accelerate forward for 2 to 3 seconds. Really is dangerous. It does not happen in 4WD. Many people complain about this and have for years, thus, I have little faith in the government. The vsc on the car shuts the power off for reasons of its own. Incident date below does not make sense for something like this that is ongoing. Can't the government even design a proper form?

- Santa Fe, Nm, NM, USA

Jul 182011

Sequoia 8-cyl

2004 Toyota Sequoia - loss of power while turning vehicle 10-15 times last two years. Just now the vsc on/off light, the vsc traction light and the check engine light has come on. Two very close calls in past month turning in front of oncoming traffic due to a loss of power. Contacting dealer for solution.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Jun 232011

Sequoia 8-cyl

File a complaint to NHTSA regarding vsc/traction/ABS skid control ECU failure -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a '04 Sequoia. My vsc on off/vsc traction light and engine check came on as per many of the reports you find posted. After taking it to the dealer they found 4 codes coming up specific to the problem and advised that bank 2 sensor 1 and the skid control computer and the engine control computer (ecc) required replacing. Still there is vibration in the steering and unsafe to drive, and similar problems have been seen in other Sequoia also. I was on a trip to New York and on the way back this problem was seen. Then contacted Toyota customer service and complained about the issue. I need your help to resolve the issue.

- North Carolina, NC, USA

Sep 012010

Vsc control light is on and vehicle has less traction control, causing me to drive it slow and very careful to avoid loss of control. The Sequoia model one year previous had an issue, I believe the 2004 model does as well. Also brake replacement occurs to frequently. I replace my brakes make repairs 2-3 yr. The same occured with my Toyota forerunner. Toyota needs to beef up their braking systems. It is a well documented problem for years and years.

- Smithville, TX, USA

Dec 062010

While driving the vsc trac, vsc off and ABS light came on. When I tried to make a turn after the stop sign I realized the skid light was on for few seconds and I felt if I lost the vehicle control.

- Allen, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Sequoia 8-cyl

2004 Toyota Sequoia anti skid electronic component sensor light comes on then engine shuts down in turns when not needed and on dry roads. Extremely dangerous!

- Londonderry , NH, USA

Nov 102004

Sequoia 8-cyl

2004 Toyota Sequoia failed skid control ECU. Toyota is not willing to repair as part of a warranty and it should be a recalled part by Toyota motors.

- Snoqualmie, WA, USA

Nov 082010

Problem with ECU unit, vsc trac and trac off light coming on in vehicle. The brakes were recently changed and it is now making a screeching noise. Something is not right. When I purchased this vehicle and took it to Toyota for some other recall they told me that my ECU unit needed to be changed. The ECU unit is now on recall but they are restricting it to only 2003 model. I have a 2004 & it has the same problem the 2003 has. I feel sorry for all the money they had to pay out with other defects but I feel if there is a problem then they should own up to it and fix it. My vehicle is also losing power on turns and I think it is from this same issue based on the forums I have read. This can be dangerous especially when making turns in oncoming traffic. I would feel really bad for Toyota if I were to get in an accident for something they can own up to and just repair in good faith. Very frustrated consumer.

- Margate, FL, USA

Sep 232010

The vsc and trac lights come on intermittently.the vehicle will also dramatically de-accelerate. There is also a smell like smoke. After shutting the vehicle off and later restarting all was ok. Toyota is very aware of this problem. Such a problem occurring especially at higher speeds could result in loss of control of vehicle leading to a serious accident with potential for numerous fatalities. Toyota had a recall for exactly the same problem on it"S 2003 model, but nothing for the 2004. Considering their most recent problems with acceleration I certainly would have expected by now that the NHTSA would have investigated and mandated that Toyota correct this problem before a serious accident...not after the fact. Again, this is a well documented fact on Toyota own website. Numerous complaints have been filed to no avail. Their refusal to recall and rectify the situation should be a wake up call to the NHTSA. If I hear nothing more on this matter, I will assume neither Toyota nor the NHTSA is concerned about this potentially disastrous defect.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 012010

The vsc warning light and sometimes brake warning light will come one in 2004 Toyota Sequoia. There appears to be nothing wrong with the vehicle but it looses power when this happens and hesitates when you are making a turn. Toyota has come out with a recall for Sequoia 2003 and have a technical bulletin discussing 2003 - 2005, however Toyota refuses to do anything since my vehicle is not included in the current recall.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Jul 302010

Sequoia 8-cyl

On Friday, July 30, 2010, my 2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 suddenly disengaged in the middle of oncoming traffic with loss of power; dashboard lights vsc, brake, and trac lights, illuminating, loud metal skidding noise coming from underneath, and subtle burning smell all happening simultaneously as it cruised in fatigue-mode the rest of the way. Scared the life out of me as all I could do was pray that a tractor trailer was not behind me in full speed as they so often do on major roadways. As the truck continued to glide and drivers honking for me to clear the way, I proceeded to nearest Toyota dealership. I reached closest Toyota dealership service dept. For them to examine root cause of issue. Rather than them explaining to me why issue occurred, they quickly concluded need for ABS skid control computer, part# 89541-0C062, with diagnostic test results dtc1223 ABS control, C1247 stroke sensor, and C1310 active booster solenoid and wanted to charge $$$$ number of thousand dollars. I called Toyota corporate not satisfied with results and Corp suggested I get data from dealership's diagnostic for further analysis by my selling/home dealership. I asked servicing dealership for data and they admitted they had erased it and it was no longer available; and said they cannot look into black-box unless mandated by law or by corporate tech support. I then wrote Toyota president Mr. Steve St. Angelo and he forwarded it to exec. Customer relations. Customer rel vowed to pay repairs on reimbursement terms if I find Toyota dealer who is willing to repair the truck. I called servicing dealer and they refuse to fix without same-day payment by Toyota corporate. I asked my selling/ dealership who at first agreed to repair the truck then rengaged stating that since former dealership "erased the code" they have no way of confirming issue and if changed ABS box and truck's further issues later, they would be held liable. In meantime, I am urgent need of my truck; please help.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jun 012010

2004 Toyota Sequoia. Emergency brake, traction control system, and traction control system off dashboard lights come on randomly during vehicle operation leading the operator to believe the emergency brake is activated and/or the traction control system is malfunctioning. Problem occurs randomly (every few minutes) during vehicle operation. No repair completed. Numerous reports of same failure are cited on several internet websites.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Aug 032010

Noticed trac defect light on, vsc light on, engine light on. The Toyota service people stated it needed a vsc control ECM that will cost over $1600 and so we are waiting to hear if there will be a recall as there are many, may complaints listed with you and on other websites.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 182010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving the vsc service light illuminated on the dashboard and the vehicle began to decelerate. The vehicle lost power and would not begin to accelerate again until the vehicle slowed down to a lower unknown speed. The failure recurred intermittently and was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that there was a failure within the computer that controls the vehicle stabilization control system. The vehicle was in the process of having the ECU replaced. The failure and current mileages were 70,000.

- Candia, NH, USA