2004 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sequoia:

2004 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Mar 142012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicle skid control light would flash and the vehicle would not accelerate sometimes during left turns and in slow traffic, pausing a few seconds before accelerating again. This action seems to be hazardous possibly causing an accident. Reported this problem to Toyota dealer. Their response was the vehicle skid control computer sensed wet conditions therefore adjusting for skidding. As I told the dealer, this problem happen mostly on dry pavement and at slow speeds.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Oct 182013

Sequoia 8-cyl

2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 with 4WD with about 113,000 miles. We started out on our first road trip Saturday and were having no issues until we stopped to get gas an hour and a half into the trip. After getting gas we got back on the highway. Once we sped up to about 70mph the vcs light started blinking and the vehicle started slowing down on its own from 70 to about 45. We would try to accelerate the car with the gas peddle while this was happening, but it didn't help. Once the speed dropped to about 45 the gas peddle would respond and we could speed back up to about 70 or 80. Then the cycle would start all over again. Over the course of a 13 hour road trip this happened off and on about half of the trip. While the car slows down on its own, pressing the gas peddle either doesn't do anything or at times it just revs the RPM's without increasing speed. We tried several different things to get this problem to stop. We disconnected the battery to try to reset the computer but that did not work. We also tried to put it into 4WD and take it out and it seemed that sometimes helped and at other times it didn't. sometimes the light will flicker and doesn't seem to really affect the acceleration as much. Other times it will really act up and we have to put on the hazard lights and finally get off the highway to try something out of desperation. All of this happens on dry, smooth highways. It has happened multiple days in a row. It only seems to act up when we are going above 55 or 60 mph.

- Duncan, OK, USA

Sep 012011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc off, vsc trac lights go on and off all the time. Along with the check engine lights.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 312013

Sequoia

While decelerating towards an intersection that I had to stop at vsc dash indicator light, brake light, & trac light all came on. Then, as I pressed the brake pedal I heard deep crunching noises from the braking system (sounded like front end). There was also loud "clanking" noises, as if something was banging around the inside of the rim or brake rotor. All the noises were also physically felt on my braking foot at the same time they sounded. My foot was being dropped and pushed noticeably by the brake pedal. I almost rear-ended the car in front of me because the braking power from fluctuating independently from strong to almost none within a matter of a few seconds. The same dash warning lights have been continuing to turn on for the last 5 or 6 weeks (sometimes all of them, sometimes one at a time), but the physical braking issue happened to me again today 9-11-13. I was on a back street so I tried to video it with my phone but couldn't get the camera set to video in time; and it stopped after occurring at three different braking attempts. The car fluctuated its way to a stop with the same crunching noises (no clanking) this time. The pressure fully changed on the brake pedal as the issue took place and I had little control of exactly when braking would happen. Have you seen the amount of times this is happening" are you reading these threads" I'm concerned to take my kids in the car. I'm concerned in letting my less experienced 18 year old drive it as usual. I went to the dealer and they were clueless and said that was part if the way the car kept me safe on wet roads. Neither incident occur on wet roads. I've been driving for 25 years; I did not have control of the braking in my vehicle two times in last 6 weeks due to a vehicle system going haywire! driving this vehicle is a hazard! please do something before someone gets hurt or killed because of this!

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving to a stop when vsc lights, ABS, check engine light, trac off dashboard indicator lights turned on. When brakes were applied, experienced a jumping. Already had brakes replaced, tires rotated and alignment done. Contacted auto service technician and was told after a diagnostic was performed that issue is due to a faulty computer system with the ABS system how the computer reads the car performance. Was told that only a Toyota dealer would have to replace the entire computer system which is costly. The warning lights go on and off randomly as if the computer system is malfunctioning.

- Essex, CT, USA

Feb 012008

Sequoia 8-cyl

The problem with my SUV, is the vsc trac and brake light come on and goes away and I can smell something on the two back brakes burning. I lost a previous truck before. It flipped over can't say if this caused it to flip. I hope Toyota can recall these SUV's and fix it. My local shop can't get a code on this fault.

- Ny, NY, USA

Mar 112013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Cornering at about 65 or so on highway. Sensors went off, terrible grinding noise, shaky steering.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 172013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc, vsc trac off, and brake light indicators come on and off at will. Toyota service center said that there is a skid control ECU malfunction. Fixing costs~$1100. Just noticed that this issue has been reported a lot on online forums and on this website.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 172012

Sequoia 8-cyl

1.when slowly turning out of the driveway the vsc light came on and there was a grinding noise from front wheel 2. at highway speed the vsc light came on & the vehicle lost power.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 272013

Sequoia 8-cyl

My vsc, vsc trac off, and brake light indicators are staying on and won't turn off.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Jul 012004

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, vsc off, ABS lights have been coming on and off since I purchased the vehicle new in 2004. Dealer could not find any problems over the years. Last week lights came on and stayed on full time. ABS system severely shook when brakes were depressed. Dealership replaced master cylinder and brake booster system. Cost was $1,200. Warning lights still were present, and they were reluctant to let me leave the dealership with the problem still present. They decided that the booster was an "after-market" product and not properly communicating with the computer. Dealership wants another $600 to swap the brake booster, but still no assurances that the warning lights will not come back on. This has been problematic since the day I purchased the vehicle. It appears that this is not an isolated issue with the Sequoias and Tundra.

- Ada, MI, USA

Feb 242012

Sequoia 8-cyl

My Toyota Sequoia SR5 is showing some lights in dashboard. First it was the vsc solid light coming on then off on it own, after some months, the airbag light came on then off then solid on, I went to the Toyota dealer to get it check out, and they couldn`T find what is making the airbags light to come on. More recently, I started having a cruise control problem as well. The cruise control will sometimes work and also some other time refuse to work unless you turn the steering wheel over and over again and then it will sometimes kick -in. I have also noticed that the car will loose power while simply driving it, when it does so, the system will still be running but simply will get weak no matter how much gas you`re giving to the pedal. I hope to have this issues investigated since Toyota doesn't really address them when I call them. Warm regards,

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 212013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Upon exiting the freeway I was on a right-turning off-ramp when I heard beeping and a crunching noise coming from the front end. It sounded as if something was seriously wrong with the vehicle. Once I was off the freeway, I pulled over and the warning lights had gone off. It has happened a few times since then, however it's only been the beeping, not the loud crunching noise. In searching online, it appears this is the same issue that the 2003's were recalled for. There have been so many complaints that Toyota should do the right thing and recall the 2004's as well.

- Sullivans Island, SC, USA

Jan 222013

Sequoia

After making a left turn the vsc trac, slip indicator skid, and malfunction indicator lamp lights came on and have remained on. Today the brake warning light has come on and remained on. Concerned with the large number of complaints from other 2004 owners and Toyota lack of interest to resolve the problem in timely and fair manner. It appears this problem has been known for many years, changing owners many expensive repair bills and vehicles remain unfixed. Toyota owners relying on Toyota to provide a quality product and stand behind the that product when a problem like this occurs.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 252012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc, trac and brake warning lights will all come on at the same time for undetermined reasons. When this occurs the anti-lock brakes shudder and can experience a loss in power. This issue raises many safety concerns. Based on my research this is chronic issue for this model vehicle, but yet no recall from Toyota.

- Tupelo, MS, USA

Jan 012011

Sequoia 8-cyl

My wife was driving vehicle and she had noticed a bang or thump coming from the car. She had noticed prior that the brake warning light had come sporadically. The trac, vsc, and ABS lights came on and have stayed on since. The front brake rotors have been turned twice since then because for whatever reason the rotors are warping. The front brakes grind now and the only way to stop it, is to turn the rotors. Checked into the repair, but unable to afford $2,000 to fix a known problem with this vehicle. We love the vehicle but hate the problem that we are having and disappointed with Toyota.

- Springfield, AR, USA

Aug 022012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle had been driven approx 30 miles when brake, vsc off, vsc trac warning lights came on will not go off...just purchased this vehicle on 7/28/2012 from berglund, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge Ram in roanoke, va.

- Boones Mill, VA, USA

Jun 262012

Sequoia 8-cyl

2004 Toyota Sequoia occasionally the brake light and vsc (vehicle stability control) lights come on. When this happens the ABS system physically malfunctions and the vehicle becomes a uncontrollable hazard. The Toyota dealer said the issue is a internal malfunction in the brake booster/master cylinder assembly as well as the skid control ECU. (the total cost of repair is $2657). I have read numerous complaints about this issue and the dealer admitted knowledge of this hazard and said it was a common problem but Toyota is not correcting the issue or offering any assistance in correcting this hazard. These vehicles are unsafe to be on the road. I have no choice but to have the recommended repairs done, but this is a major issue/defect for Toyota and the responsibility of this safety issue should fall to the manufacturer.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Jun 282012

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving down the road my vsc trac, vsc off, and brake lights all came on causing the ABS and traction systems to become non responsive. I was told by the mechanic it was a faulty ECU. This is a known problem for Toyota since 2002 but they have only been willing to fix 2003 models.

- Moapa, NV, USA

Jun 282012

Sequoia

As I was driving my vehicle, the warning lights came on for the brakes, vsc and skid control. I have been told that the repair will be $1900 to replace the ECU.

- Tucson, AZ, USA