1.7

2005 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 222013

Sequoia 8-cyl

My Sequoia will all of a sudden stop accelerating while driving. Trac light and vsc light and check engine light came on. I had to turn the ignition off and back on to get it moving again...I took it straight to the Toyota dealership. They did several tests. All but one test determined it was the engine control unit (of which is covered under a class action lawsuit). Because of that one test, they will not fix it. The service manager told me I had to keep driving it until it breaks down on the side of the road and they would tow it back there. Problem is...I might be dead in the truck depending on where and when it happens again. I am terrified to drive it! my Sequoia has been a lemon! I have previously had to replace 1)throttle body 2)throttle pedal position switch 3)brake booster 4)master cylinder and 5)skid control ECU. At 120,000 miles and all of those problems already" and now this issue"....it must be a lemon!

- Kingston, TN, USA

Jun 182013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Check engine light came on and heard a low "supercharger" type noise from the engine. Took vehicle to dealer who diagnosed the problem as an air injection pump problem (codes P1442, P1445) which has been found on 2008-2010 Sequoias. Vehicle computer is operating in safe mode at a reduced capacity until repair is done. Toyota has extended the warranty to 10 years or 150,000 miles for this problem but not for the 2005 model year. Toyota acknowledged the problem in the 2008-2010 model years but would not consider any action or necessary communication for the 2005 model year.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

About a month ago, beginning of March, the engine light, vsc trac light, trac off light, are all lite up when I turn on the engine. A week later, those light go off and on all the time and it still does it. From what I know, the trac off & vsc trac has something to do with the brake and I don't feel safe to drive in it. I went online and search to my problems and apparently, alot of people have the same problem as I do. Toyota need to have this recall and fix this problem to all their customers who have this problem.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 152013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving on the highway at 55 mph, my vehicle suddenly decelerated to 20 mph. After exiting, I still could not accelerate above 20 mph. I scheduled an appointment with R&H Toyota in owings mills, md for Friday, March 15, 2013. I received a call from the dealership informing me it was necessary to replace the secondary air injection pump, but since the part was no longer available, I would need to replace the entire valve assembly and the skid control computer, at a total cost of $4,845.02. My internet research revealed Toyota is aware of the defective secondary air injection system in their vehicles and as a result issued a warranty enhancement, in response to reports of air induction pump assemblies and/or air injection switching valves issues on their 2007-2010 Tundra and 2008-2010 Sequoia models, up to 150,000 miles. I called Toyota to question why the decision was made to not include all model years with the defective secondary air injection system and was informed it was their engineers' decision. No one at Toyota could further explain this to me. My research reveals there are many models for 2005 - 2008 affected by this defect. The explanation for the exorbitant expense was because of a design change and that Toyota no longer manufactures the defective part, owners of vehicles for models 2005 - 2008 would need to replace entire system. So, Toyota apparently acknowledges a defect in their design and its impact on vehicle owners. I cannot afford $5,000 for a vehicle that is only eight (8) years old. Based on my research, there is a large class of Toyota customers affected by this defect. Please investigate and advise.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 092012

Sequoia

The brake light constantly goes on and off. Trac off, vsc trac and check engine lights all come on. A loud rattling noise coming from the front end of vehicle and vibration the engine will not accelerate randomly while driving and the trac control light goes on at the same time.

- Stone Mountain , GA, USA

Nov 192012

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5. The contact stated that while parked, the check engine light, trac off, and vsc trac warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The technician stated the secondary air intake pump and valve needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The contact stated a report was filed with the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage and the current mileage was 121,600.

- Albany, GA, USA

Sep 082012

Slowing down to turn the vsc trac< trac off < check engine - Irving, TX, USA

Oct 032012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The skid control computer on my 2005 Toyota Sequoia malfunctioned causing low power/low acceleration. The engine has 65,000 miles. Because this part failed, several engine parts malfunctioned. The engine nearly blew up as a result. Toyota recalled 2003-04 models for this same problem, but has only issued a tsb for the 2005 model. The service department at the dealership explained that my engine would not have nearly exploded had the skid computer not been faulty. I filed a complaint with Toyota, and they explained that this part is not considered to be a problem in the 2005 model, and will not assist in repairing it. The estimated repair for this is $4000.

- Valrico, FL, USA