2005 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 122016

Vsc vsc traction control lights comes on as well as the check engine light. The vehicle accelerates poorly. This makes for a very dangerous situation because the vehicle can slow dramatically at highway speeds. Lights go off for a little while when the battery is disconnected but all lights and acceleration problems return shortly. Owners have spent thousands of dollars replacing parts without a long term fix. Spouse will no longer drive the vehicle because of this dangerous problem. Totoya needs to fix this widespread problem.

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

May 012016

Engine warning and vsc trac off lights, I had several issues with these warnings. This is the second time it had happened to my SUV. The last time was on a long vacation trip and it suddenly goes on and the engine starts to go on limp mode, where it slows down dramatically even though the SUV's engine is fine. It was pretty dangerous because we were on a fwy where the speed is 75 mph. We took it in for repair in Toyota dealer and it just need a routine maintenance which cost me $2600 to get this lights off! two years later to this day, the lights went on again and now the same thing, it is going to cost me $2600 to get these light off! this is happening a lot to all 2005 Sequoia. There should be a recall for these...

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jan 112016

Oyota Sequoia 2005 engine light on, vsc off light and trac vsc light on. These complaints are about this problems,, here are tons of other complaints on this problem and it is not limited to our year model. If all of the complaints were compiled in one area and presented to the ntsb, I'm sure that Toyota would be forced to deal with this issue and correct it. Its a big issue estimated cost for that around $ 2000 to $ 5000 I don`T know if U investigate or no.I am not going to get this issue repair until I will hear from you.please take it seriously

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 122016

A couple of days ago, when I was driving on the highway, my Sequoia suddenly stopped accelerating. Trac light and vsc light and check engine light came on. My speed would not go above 40mph and would not even brake. I was in the left lane and the cars behind me were going pretty fast and almost hit me. I am lucky there was no car in the right lane, so I pulled to that lane just in time. It was a scary moment for me because my kids were with me also. I always thought of Toyota of having safety in their cars, but when I came home to research what might be happening to the car, I found out many people are having the same exact problem and thus it is a manufacturers problem. I am suprised Toyota is not doing anything about this. Do they not care of the safety of the consumers? the milage on my Sequoia is only 39,000 and I do not drive it too often, and also have maintained it very well. We spend so much money on this car and this vehicle really was not worth it if it came with so many factory defaults. Please follow-up on this issue to have it resolved.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jul 012015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The secondary injection pump has failed. It started with a loud winding noise anytime it was started at a cold start. The noise would last a few minutes. Then everything was fine. Then the entire thing went out and my check engine light came on along with all traction control has gone out. The vehicle will not accelerate at a normal speed and it is very dangerous while driving, especially on the interstate. Total cost to repair is over $3,000 it is a well documented case of complaints and they have issued warranty for other year models for this part to be replaced- but not 2005.

- Marion, AR, USA

Nov 112015

When turning corners in motion, the traction control light illuminates causing a loss of braking and acceleration. There is now way to control the vehicles acceleration/deceleration until the light goes off. Typically last about 3-5 seconds. This happens frequently every time the vehicle is driven.

- Alexander City, AL, USA

Oct 142015

Vsc trac---vsc--check engine light--and then problems with acceleration on a street doing 35 mph. Would be very dangerous if it happened on a highway. Needs to be a recall- many similar complaints online

- Andover, MA, USA

Sep 012015

While driving at 35 mph, the check engine light, vsc off light, vsc trac light, and the emergency brake light all came on at once, and the vehicle stopped accelerating, and I experienced a dramatic decrease in vehicle power. I drove the vehicle home noticing a drastic change in acceleration as the Sequoia would not accelerate normally; it would accelerate at a significantly reduced rate, topping out at 35mph on the flats, 30 mph on an incline, I was able to reach 70mph going down hill on a highway. Since that day, during start up, the engine makes a high-pitch vacuum noise, which drops off and normal engine sound returns. All dashboard lights are normal, until 10-15 seconds after start, when the vsc off/vsc trac/brake lights all illuminate, and remain on until the engine is turned off and the poor acceleration and decrease power are now the norm. This is a very dangerous safety issue should this happen to someone accelerating out of an intersection, or needing more power on a highway.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Piece of foam worth $.10 dislodged from blower motor and was jammed in blower motor valve. This created a loud squeal sound. Had repair done at cost of $2000 last year 2014. Toyota dealer states same problem once again.

- Spring , TX, USA

Nov 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Check engine light, vsc trac and break light constantly.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Oct 042010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac---vsc--check engine light--and then problems with acceleration!!

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Sep 012014

Trac off, vsc trac, engine light came on...trouble code was P1444 (secondary air injection system switching value stuck)...vehicle had problems accelerating. Repairman indicated that the air injection pump/check values needed to be replaced and very expensive. Based on other reports it appears that this is a frequent occurrence and vehicles shutting down on interstates. Others have said that Toyota knows about this but won't issue an extended warranty, but offers for newer vehicles. Owned several Toyota before this...this could be a deal breaker for future Toyota.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Apr 212010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle when on a stop and making a turn doesn't accelerate for a few seconds it goes blank then after gets speed. In many occasion I had close calls with upcoming traffic behind me after making the turn because of the acceleration failure. I called the dealer where the car was obtained and they said that there is no recall for that vehicle even when I told them that the Sequoia 2003 was recalled because of the same issue. The told me that they can check what is wrong with it but I will need to pay the inspection plus the repairs. Las conversation with them was 6/27/2014.

- West Hills , CA, USA

Jun 262014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Both vsc trac and engine light are on. Engine makes a loud grinding noise every time the car needs to be warmed up. Read other reports that Sequoia 2005 owners are having the same issues. Shouldn't there be a recall by now for safety issue?

- El Monte, CA, USA

Apr 142012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicle has a failed air injection system that causes a reduction in the engine's power output. When the initial failure began there was a loud vacuum sound upon start up and all dash warning lights came on. Over time the sound went away but engine power is still greatly reduced. This poses a very serious safety risk as the vehicle can not accelerate adequately to highway speeds or maintain speeds on an incline thus posing a risk for accidents and as a result possible injury. Toyota was notified of the issue in summer 2012 but stated they would not cover or replace any components related to this as the vehicle was out of warranty. The vehicle was taken to the dealership Toyota Scion concord (concord, nc) and a diagnostic test was performed showing a failed air injection system. The replacement cost are approximately $3,500 and requires a service technician to break down the motor to replace the necessary components. With the cost of the system being significant this goes beyond the scope of a basic repair. 2nd generation sequioas (2008-current) also experienced failed air injection systems and Toyota replaced the system in these vehicles but did not in the 1st generation although they share a similar powertrain.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 182014

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc trac light is on, and engine light too.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 282013

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when she attempted to drive uphill and the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact stated the defect was only present when attempting to drive uphill. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer and the contact was informed that the air injection system exhibited an internal malfunction from debris that ruptured from inside the air injection system. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 99,500.

- Desota, TX, USA

Sep 292013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was told the vehicle control and stability system was off. And is a common issue with this year make and model. Vsc and trac off light keeps coming on. Also secondarily valve stuck closed. P1445 & P1442 codes. Also another known issue for this vehicle year make and model. Toyota is aware but won't fix after certain miles.

- Landover, MD, USA

Jul 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

After cranking the car and driving for a few minutes, the following lights on the dashboard appeared: Vsc off / vsc trac / check engine light. I entered the on ramp to the interstate and could not accelerate past 40 mph. Had to pull over and let the car "reset". attempted to re-enter the interstate and the flow of traffic but car would not accelerate beyond 40 mph and I had my 3 small children in the vehicle. Very terrifying experience. Drove to a dealership that advised me a secondary hose had to be replaced on the engine. Later determined that Toyota released a technical bulletin and are aware of this issue but will not issue a recall. It is an extremely costly part to fix. Parts alone are $3200.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 222013

Sequoia 8-cyl

My Sequoia will all of a sudden stop accelerating while driving. Trac light and vsc light and check engine light came on. I had to turn the ignition off and back on to get it moving again...I took it straight to the Toyota dealership. They did several tests. All but one test determined it was the engine control unit (of which is covered under a class action lawsuit). Because of that one test, they will not fix it. The service manager told me I had to keep driving it until it breaks down on the side of the road and they would tow it back there. Problem is...I might be dead in the truck depending on where and when it happens again. I am terrified to drive it! my Sequoia has been a lemon! I have previously had to replace 1)throttle body 2)throttle pedal position switch 3)brake booster 4)master cylinder and 5)skid control ECU. At 120,000 miles and all of those problems already" and now this issue" must be a lemon!

- Kingston, TN, USA