2005 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 122012

Sequoia 8-cyl

My vsc trac, vsc off comes on all the time and don't go away. This appears to be a manufacture issue.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 082012

Slowing down to turn the vsc trac< trac off < check engine - Irving, TX, USA

Aug 242012

Sequoia

While driving, the brake warning light, vsc off light, and vsc trac light all came on. Pulled over and shut engine off. Restarted the car and lights were initially off but came right back on as soon as I started driving. Had advance auto parts hook computer to it, and it isn't throwing a code at all.

- Maryville , TN, USA

May 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

3 incidents in the last 90days, each one while the vehicle was in motion between 15-40mph with 5 passengers and in traffic. On each occasion, the brakes suddenly engaged, causing a loud bang/thunk sound followed by a severe shake in the vehicle. Speed & control was drastically reduced to the point of being uncontrollable. Within seconds, the vsc trac, vsc off, brake and maintenance lamps illuminated. Vehicle was very difficult to drive, as if the brakes were fully engaged. After pulling over, we shutdown the vehicle and let it sit a short period of time, on restarting, all lamps were on, the vehicle was drive-able however, the brakes we still being applied but slightly allowing the vehicle to move but on release of the accelerator, the vehicle slowed rapidly. After dropping off vehicle to a local non-dealer service center on each of the first 2 incidents, the codes were no-longer active and the shop indicated that nothing could be done unless the codes were active again. Research indicates the 2003-04 had skid control computer recall, reflashing/reprogramming the computer but only a tsb was issued on the 2005 model year. After the third incident, the most severe, we went to a Toyota dealer. They confirmed the recall & the tsb. In discussions with the service advisor's and technicians, they both reported that they have had numerous 2005 models with the same issue. The dealer informed us that the skid control computer will need to be replaced at a total cost of $1100. However, numerous posts on online blogs & forums indicate the problem persists even after the skid control computer was replaced. We are lucky that this event did not result is an accident as we were in traffic and vehicles behind us would not expect our vehicle to suddenly brake causing them crash into us at full speed. This is a severe known safety issue and Toyota should issue a recall.

- Everett, WA, USA

May 052012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The brake light constantly goes on and off. Trac off, vsc trac and check engine lights all come on. A loud rattling noise coming from the front end of vehicle and vibration when starting up the vehicle. Engine will not accelerate randomly while driving and the trac control light goes on at the same time. I first experienced this while going up a mountain and needed to turn around because my vehicle started to decelerate even with the gas completely floored. I noticed that there are a lot of complaints for the same issue. Is Toyota waiting for a death to happen before they do something. This is a family vehicle and I'm transporting my 2 and 5 year old. Something needs to be done about this before something tragic happens!!

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Aug 012007

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia limited. The contact was driving 40 mph when the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to accelerate and maintained the initial speed. The engine traction and stability warning lights illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 158,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 142012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, vsc off and ABS lights all come on at once. I took the vehicle to my mechanic and he couldn't pull the code as it was off by the time I got there. Brakes had good pad left. The light came on 3 times today and went off just as unexpectedly.

- Smithville, MO, USA

Oct 292008

Sequoia 8-cyl

2005 Sequoia - this is now my 2nd formal complaint. Vehicle has skid control, check engine, brake, ect lights on and multiple times lost braking control in traffic. I took to the dealer 3 times and finally they replaced the ECU ($1000) and assured me that this was the problem. Guess what? problem is back after just a couple months. Now it is said that the brake booster needs replacing($1000). Toyota has recalled this problem on other years but not the 2005. The time is now! this is a very dangerous vehicle for my family with 3 young children, plus it is costing us alot of time and money! Toyota.....please try and keep your reputation and help your loyal customers.

- Rifle, CO, USA

Jan 182012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc off light keeps appearing on and off. Antilock braking is disable when the light comes on.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Nov 122011

Sequoia 8-cyl Diesel

My 2005 Toyota Sequoia had the vsc light come on. We took it to the dealer who said that it was a code for the secondary air injection valve sticking open, but he also told us that they have replaced the valves before and it ended up being the pump. When pulling into traffic the vehicle went into "limp"mode which was very close to causing an accident with my wife and three children in the car. After reading about so many other people with the same problem, it would seem that Toyota should be willing to fix this issue before someone is injured or killed in an accident. I now have a car that is not safe to drive.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Aug 152011

Sequoia

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5. My vsc trac light, ABS, brake, lights come on periodically for no reason. I have read many others have the same problem.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 072011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc (vehicle skid control), trac (traction control), brake lights came on. This is a 2005 model year Toyota Sequoia with approximately 41,000 miles on the odometer. Vehicle has never been in an accident and has been garaged since new. Dealer says computer needs replaced, approximately $1,000 to replace. Vsc/trac/brake light problems are well documented in 1st generation Sequoias (2001-2007 model years). Read about problems on www.tundrasolutions.com.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Jul 262011

Sequoia 8-cyl

At around 51,000 miles the ABS and vsc light came on. Lights went out 2 days later. It would come on intermittently about every other month for about 2 days then go out. Took it to my mechanic and he found no codes stored. Now it has 100,00 miles and the light stays on. Took it to a Toyota dealer and was told the skid control ECU needs replaced. Was told it was a common problem for my year Sequoia. I was told then that when the lights are on, the functions do not work. I feel this has been a safety issue that Toyota has been aware of but has done nothing to correct.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Jun 042011

Sequoia

2005 2wd Toyota Sequoia limited has the following warning lights on while the engine is running: Vsc, trac-off, ABS, engine light. The vehicle will stall if you try to accelerate, and it will not go over 50 mph, as if having no power. My Sequoia is a real safety problem on the road. Until Toyota stand behind their products, they are just a pathetic car company with bogus quality image.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Sequoia 8-cyl

My 2005 Toyota Sequoia has had issues for the past several years in accelerating. The vehicle does not get engaged and it almost stops moving for a second until the vehicle stability control kicks in. Today the light went off again vsc trac and the problems continue.

- Mareitta, GA, USA

Apr 182011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, trac off, and parking park light come one and off intermittently. They will come on while driving and sometimes when the car is turned off and then restarted. They will be off...but sometimes they are still on.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 172010

Sequoia

I was on my way home from work when the engine light came on for a few seconds then disappeared. Two days later the engine light came on again and the vehicle started to ride rough like it need a tune-up. The engine light disappeared and the vehicle drove fine until I reached home. The engine light, vsc off and vsc trac all came on and the vehicle was riding really rough. I took it to Firestone so they could look at but they couldn't figure out the problem. So I took it to Toyota so they could fix the problem. They thought it was carbon build up around the cylinders, so they cleaned all eight cylinders but that didn't work. I still had to pay for it. The finale solution was for them to tear down the engine. They claimed that piston #3 wasn't working at its full capacity after running a compression test but they're not 100% sure. The cost for them to take the head off would be $862 and another $862 to put it back together plus what ever real problem is. The service guy at Toyota said that he has seen three similar problems like this and it cost the customer around $3000. My dvd player wasn't working so the tech tested it and stated that power was going to it and that it should work. Three weeks later the dvd player worked but now my back window didn't. when I push the button for the back window the back wiper comes on.

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 022010

Sequoia

Started car and hear a loud whining noise but no lights came on. Within 2 days the whining noise was not heard when starting car but trac off, vsc light, and check engine light were all on. Took the truck to mechanic and he changed the battery and flushed the brake fluid. Lights were off for about 2 more starts of the truck and all lights were back on. Took it back to the mechanic the next day and he kept the truck for 2 days, called Toyota and they told him to replace the air injection driver. This was done 12 Nov 10 and by 13 Nov 10 all lights are back on again and the truck is having issues picking up speed.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Nov 012010

Sequoia 8-cyl

In the past two weeks following a rapid braking my 2005 Toyota Sequoia surged forward upon acceleration requiring applying the brakes to stop the sudden lurching forward. This has occurred on three occasions over a ten day period.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 282010

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately 65 mph the vehicle surged forward. She attempted to apply pressure to the brakes but the vehicle did not stop. She shifted the vehicle into neutral and allowed it to roll forward and stop. After the vehicle stopped moving she turned it off and then back on. Upon restarting the vehicle the rpms began to increase excessively forcing her to turn the vehicle off. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure previously occurred on tow occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 60,195.

- Dumont, NJ, USA