2005 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Nov 012010

This has been going on since April 2010, its now November 2010 with no resolution. My 2005 Toyota Sequoia trac off, vsc trac, check engine lights and ABS lights keep coming on. Brought into the dealer three times while the lights were on so the dealer could put it on the computer. No codes show up. I am told that it's not covered even though we have the Toyota certified bumper to bumper warranty. They recalled the 2003 for the same problem. They need to do the same for the 05. Repair cost for this is $2200.

- Newton , NJ, USA

Aug 202010

Trac off, vsc trac and brake light on. All three lights come and go at will. I had simlar problem during warranty. For last 2 years it has come and gone. But this time it is more on than off for last 10 days.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 032010

We have a 2005 Toyota Sequoia and my vsc trac, vsc off and ABS lights came on and stayed on when my husband was backing up from our garage we heard a grinding noise and felt the vibrating grinding. So I look it up on the manual and it tells us to take it to a dealer. But the dealership is closed so I looked online to research it and found that may people with Sequoia's between the years 2003-2005 are having this problem. It definitely should be recalled. I have 5 kids and I would hate for me to experience a bad scenario while driving. There's many complaints so I don't see why it is not being recalled.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jul 042010

Vsc/ABS skid control ECU failure, the problems we have observed since this has occurred and after 3 times of taking the car into the dealership we have been told the ECU is failing? 1. the car actually froze up 2. instrument panel lights remained illuminated. 3. the brakes failed on one occasion and quickly came back, but made metal grinding noise. 4. at various times the ABS kicked in even though the brakes were not applied 5. SUV did not properly respond to brake or steering 6. the car occasionally thinks that we are skidding out of control and begins pulsating the brakes 7. while backing out of the driveway the brakes engaged. If you google Toyota Sequoia and ECU or vsc or ABS you will not many people have complained about this issue. In all instances stopping and restarting the car has reset the lights and the issue went away.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Jun 192010

Vsc trac lights on 2005 Toyota Sequoia are on. Will be bringing car to dealership in the morning.

- Mangilao, GU, USA

May 272010

Both vsc and trac off warning lights are on as well as my brake light. Fluid is topped off and brakes were just replaced by Toyota a couple of months ago. I have pressed the trac off button but nothing happens. It vehicle appears to drive fine and dealer stated the skid control ECU is bad. However, as usual when going to a dealer, the lights are no longer on. Still id 'd problem as the skid control.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Mar 152010

Beginning intermittently, but now more frequently, when accelerating from a "rolling stop", and simultaneously turning, the stability control light flashes and the vehicle will not accelerate.

- Darnestown, MD, USA

Jan 112010

My 2005 SR5 Sequoia has the same problem that was mentioned in the recall of the 2003 model announced today. It looses power when going over bumps or dips in the road and is particularly hazardous when trying to cross another road. I have learned to work around it but would prefer that it get fixed. Incidents have been many occasions since I purchased the vehicle last year.

- Orem, UT, USA

Jan 022010

I was driving thru my neighborhood returning home after a heavy snowfall. I had my family in the car and to have a little fun I would give my Sequoia a little extra gas as I would go around a corner to get the tires to spin a little. With traction control and anti-lock brakes it was nothing significant but the kids thought it was fun. As I neared my house I accelerated one last time before I was going to turn into my driveway. Unfortunately this time there was unintentional acceleration. I don't have the stock floor mats, but even so I tried using my foot to lift the gas pedal. That did not work. Since I was on a deadend residential street, I obviously did not want this condition to get out of control. When you are not in that situation it is easy to say that you need to put it in neutral, but when the situation is occurring you really only have time to react. I put the Sequoia into park. Fortunately since it was a heavy snow, and since I was probably only going 10-15 mph the car came to a stop quickly but no one was thrust forward. I had warning lights on all over my dash. I turned the car off and restarted and the lights went off and the car seemed to function normally afterwards thankfully. I have not taken it in for the recall because the current recall for the 2005 Sequoia says that it is a floor mat issue. It is not. I am so glad that you are pursuing further investigation into the real cause of this very potentially dangerous condition.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Feb 152010

2005 Toyota Sequoia with a significantly high cold idle that persists 5-10 mins after starting unchanged by putting the car into gear and requiring the driver to stand on the brakes to stop it. Once warmed up, engine will rev while driving without the driver pushing the accelerator but so far has only done this intermittently and for a short duration.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Sep 262009

I was driving with wife in my 2005 Toyota Sequoia West bound on the long island expressway and was about to exit on exit 25. It was a clear day at about noon. The car never had a repair and has about 50,00 miles. The brake pads and tires has been changes at about 40,000 miles. As I was about to exit, the car sped up from 65 mph to about 70 mph even as I was pressing on the brakes. The mats were not in the way. The brake and the gas pedal was not having an affect. The cruise control was not engaged. After about ten second, the brakes finally kicked in. This has never have before or ever since. Nothing was done to correct the failure.

- Kings Point, NY, USA

Jul 152007

2005 Toyota Sequoia: When braking to a complete stop (lights etc.), while brake pedal is depressed, car jumps forward. This is ongoing from approximately 2007 on. Took into dealership and they could find nothing wrong. Car would not accelerate when gas pedal was pressed for approximately.5 miles. Then it would engage.

- Azle, TX, USA

Jun 012007

Sequoia 2005 2wd. The 2005 should be recalled. (1) while pulling into a parking spot at about 5 mph, the car suddenly accelerated, driving over a parking curb & down a hill. (2) after coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, I tapped on the gas to go & the car suddenly accelerated, lurching forward. After this happened I took the car to the dealer, who inspected it & failed to find a problem. Floor mats were no where near the brake & is not possible that the gas pedal stuck, because it accelerated suddenly. If the gas pedal merely got stuck, then the car would have continued forward at the same rate of speed, but in my case it accelerated suddenly both times. Tw*

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 152008

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately between 60-65 mph the vehicle skid control (vsc) warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. Suddenly, there was no power response during acceleration. The speed rate was reduced with continuous pressure applied to the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on two separate occasions for identical failures. The technician was unable to duplicate the failures, so a remedy was not provided. The failures occurred intermittently. The failure mileage was 40,000. The current mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

May 142009

2005 Toyota Sequoia vac trac disengaged lost control / accelerator/brakes/ took auto to repair dealer could not find problem.

- Imperial, CA, USA

Apr 242009

The vsc trac light and engine light of my 2005 Toyota Sequoia is on. When driving the engine seems to hesitate and lurches forward. I was told that I will have to replace my transmission. My car only has 45,000 miles on it and our warranty expired one month ago. My internet research shows that this is a very common problem. A new transmission will cost thousands of dollars and is un-acceptable for such a young car.

- Marblehead, MA, USA

Jan 172007

Vsc, ABS, brake lights flashing and ABS light stayed on two of the times while other lights went off this happened 4 -5 times making the car unable to drive. Also I went sliding through a stop sign unable to brake. Lost total control of vehicle while trying to stop. 3) had it towed to dealer in moline, Illinois. They could not find a problem. Two weeks later, it happened again and I had it towed to dealer again in moline, Illinois and they still have the vehicle. They are having trouble diagnosing the problem. They have replaced a computer in front thus far. Note: The service rep. Is working on this problem diligently. However, this is a serious problem and a major safety issue. It has happened to hundreds of Toyota Sequoia owners, therefore, I am speaking out in hopes you will take notice in efforts to correct this problem and avoid killing innocent people.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Oct 172006

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

- the contact has a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received safety recall 07V013000 on the vehicle, and had 9 different repairs made concerning the same safety recall. The last time the vehicle was repaired was on 10/17/2006. On 10/17/2006 the contact bought a new transmission because the failure could not be diagnosed. The contact stated that there were multiple drive line repairs, and that the car was lunging forward and making a clunking sounds. Two days after replacing the engine the contact returned with the vehicle because it was lurching forward and making a clunking noise while being driven. The contact has tried to get the vehicle diagnosed since the new engine without success.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jul 272006

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

Check engine light and vsc/traction control lights keep coming on. Took it to Toyota of lewisville, Texas on 30 June 06 and again to Toyota of killeen, Texas on 15 July 06. Toyota of lewisville told me it was bad gas and that the problem was fixed. On 13 June 06 the light came on but went off after a couple of miles. On my way to dallas on 14 Jun 06 the same thing happened. Later that day on my way back from dallas the lights came back on and I took my Sequoia to Toyota of killeen on 15 July 06. They worked on my Sequoia until 25 July 06. I only had my truck for a day when the lights came back on. I took the truck back to the dealer the next day, 27 July 06, and the service department turned off the lights and an hour later told me my Sequoia was ready and that if the problem persisted to bring it back. Right there in the service bay the light came on and the dealership has had it ever since. I talked to the service rep and he informs me that the computer has been replaced and the problem persist. They checked the fuel and drained the fuel and the problem persist.

- Killeen, TX, USA

May 202005

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

Excessive idle speed, brake must be depressed hard to stop car from lurching forward or back during warm-up period when changing from park to drive or reverse

- Central Point, OR, USA