2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 13 of 18)

Nov 222009

We own a 2004 Toyota Sienna and the cable in the automatic door got frayed and caught in the motor. The door was stuck open. My husband had to force it closed so we could drive our four kids home and the door fell off! he had to force it back on and lock it so we could get home. Online searches show me many other people have had this same problem with the automatic door for that year's model.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 072009

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle minivan. A small wire snapped on the passenger side power door. I am not able to open the door automatically or manually. The only way to fix is to have Toyota install new motor for $1800 which is way too expensive for something that is a necessary component in a van.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Nov 012008

2004 Toyota Sienna sliding door cable snapped, car was parked on hill and door slide closed on right hand of driver who was entering vehicle.

- Mountainside, NJ, USA

Oct 212009

Power passenger side sliding door cable snapped door is inoperable from inside and outside.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 032007

2004 Toyota Sienna van auto sliding door cable failed and door was stuck open. Cable can not be replaced by its self motor and cable need to be installed at a price of $1,000.99 in parts not including the 5 hours of labor.

- Paw Paw, MI, USA

Aug 112009

The power sliding door on my Sienna stopped working because the cable snapped. The cable has a plastic coating which fell off part of it and allowed the wire underneath to rust since it is exposed to the atmosphere. I managed to force the door closed and it is now inoperable. This is a safety problem - what if there were a wreck? this is poor design and could cause loss of life and should be fixed by Toyota. It is an expensive repair - due to the design flaw of having this cable be so difficult to replace, so people - like me - aren't haveing it done because we can't afford it. This isn't "normal wear and tear".

- Depauw, IN, USA

Oct 312009

Toyota Sienna minivan sliding door will not open/close - got stuck in the open position.

- New City, NY, USA

Sep 282009

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The passenger side door will not open. The dealer will disable the door because the complete repair was too expensive. The Toyota manufacturer has not been notified. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- Davis, CA, USA

Apr 302009

The power sliding door on an '04 Toyota Sienna would not stay open when the vehicle was on a slight incline. Other times, it would not close properly. On a number of occasions, after the door was opened it began to close by itself hitting the person who was reaching into the vehicle, while the door was continuing to try to close. It took a lot of force to stop the door from closing. On one occasion the force of the door closing bruised my wife's right arm. This is a definite safety issue. Someone could be seriously injured, including being crushed between the door and pillar. This problem was reported to the dealer on three different visits over a six month period. On each visit the technician reported "no problem found" or "working per design and intent at this time." On the last visit, after the technician found nothing again, I went out with the service advisor and was able to demonstrate the problem. Afterward the shop foreman found that the rear hinge bushings were worn. After the bushings were replaced, the door worked as it should. Toyota claims this would have been covered under the original 36 mo. / 36,000 mile warranty, but not under their extended warranty.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 042009

My 2004 Toyota Sienna van's passenger side power sliding door cable snapped. Making it only open 1/4 of the way, I had to cut the rest of the cable on both sides and push the manual override button to use the door manually. I have read in forums there have been many others with the same problems and the cost of fixing it ranges from $1200 - $2000 for they have to replace the whole motor. I think this can be a safety issue if your in a accident and need to open the door, and the cable snaps, then it will not open.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Jan 102008

2004 Sienna - power sliding door cable snapped.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Sep 192009

The power function of the automatic rear sliding passenger door has failed. The cable that attaches to the motor for this device snapped and was exposed causing a safety hazard. Approximately 1 foot of cable was exposed and hanging from the middle rear of door. Additionally other parts of the system failed/broke when the cable broke and became lodged in the system causing the door to remain open. When some of these parts associated with the snapped wire / door motor broke they were ejected into the car hitting the nearest right side car safety seat where one of our children sits. The cost of replacing the door parts is prohibitive. Per Toyota dealership, cost is approximately $1700 per door to replace the snapped wire. The door will not be repaired and remain non-functional. 2006 reference tsb EL004-04 2009 reference tsb-0085-09nhtsa number:10029190 for similar cases.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012008

We are pleased with our Sienna with the exception of the sliding doors which freezes the last 2 winters. I have 2 small children under the ages of 3 and very concerned about the safety issues. Whenever the temp is below freezing, the door will not open until the temperature rises. I know that I am not alone with this issue. Should an emergency arise, I fear the safety of my children - however I do not have the money to fix this issue. Others have been quoted fixing it in the price of upwards of $1000. Please make Toyota do the right thing and recall these vehicles to fix them.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Apr 102009

I own a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The cable on both sliding doors broke and the doors do not open automatically we have to open and close them manually which is very difficult for my small kids. Sometimes the doors jam and do not close properly. I am worried about the safety of my kids. My van has only 65K miles on it. I have contacted Toyota and my local Toyota dealer. They told my it will cost me about $3400 dollars to fix both doors. I can not pay this kind of money especially on a problem that seems to be common with all 2004-2006 Sienna vans. I think Toyota should issue a recall and fix their defective products.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 212009

The rear power sliding door on the Toyota has a safety defect where the power sliding door closes completely but then pops open slightly at the rear of the door. The result is that the door is not fully closed or latched. However, the "open door" indicator in the vehicle does not light indicating that the door is not in a fully closed position. The "pop open" scenario was occurring over the course of several weeks, before going over a bumpy road the vibrations must have been sufficient enough to warrant the "open door" indicator to light. Upon bringing to Toyota for repair they informed me the motor was damaged along with the latching mechanism for the door.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 252009

We have a Toyota Sienna whose sliding doors are inoperable. Six months ago are driver side sliding door would not close. We were at a store and had to drive to our mechanic with the door stuck open - not very safe at all with children in the car - to disable the motor and unjam the door. It now only operates in a manual our passenger side door had the same thing happen! once again, the door would not close and we had to force it shut - and cannot use that door until it is fixed. We do not feel safe having children use the doors because now they are difficult to open and close. If they needed to exit quickly - children cannot open the heavy doors on their own. Also there is no longer the safety feature of having the door not close if something or someone is in its path.

- Mendon, VT, USA

Apr 182006

Toyota Sienna 2004 lxe limited, power door problem. The cable broke and doors are shut and cannot be opened from inside or outside. Also in the winter doors freeze up and will not open as well. Drives side door return arm.. the weld broke and causes the door to not close properly. There are a verity of cosmetic things but I am most concerned about the doors not being able to open. There seems to be alot of talk about this problem, I guess people will have to die in some kind of accident before Toyota does anything...lord forbid that should happen. Thank for listening.

- Dallas, PA, USA

Jul 262009

My 2004 Toyota Sienna door continues to open while I am driving down the road. I do not feel it is safe to have passengers anymore. It is a power door.

- Pelham, NH, USA

May 302009

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact has not been able to use the door locks in her vehicle for several months. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. Recently, while attempting to stop the vehicle, the rear passenger side door opened. In addition, the battery failed and was replaced twice by the dealer. The failure was not corrected and the dealer stated that they could not determine the cause of the failure. The contact replaced the battery herself with a heavy duty battery. She took the vehicle back to the dealer and they stated that the door motor failed, and that the door was an inch off the door track. The estimated cost of repair was $1,800. The failure mileage was 62,000 and current mileage was 64,000.

- Patterson , NY, USA

Jul 272009

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the passenger side power sliding door failed. The dealer stated that the entire motor assembly for the door needed to be replaced at the cost of $1,000. There were no recalls for this component. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- West Lawn , PA, USA