2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 7 of 18)

Jun 202010

The driver door makes a load clicking noise when you open or close the door. The door does not open or close properly. I have not repaired it yet but have been told it is a spot weld that has failed. I also read online that this is a very common problem on the 2004 Toyota Sienna.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Dec 062010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact noticed that the passenger side sliding door cable was covered with rust causing the door to become inoperable. The dealer was notified and advised the contact that there were no recalls. The manufacturer was informed and the contact was waiting for a response. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 186,000. The failure mileage was approximately 185,950.

- Martin, OH, USA

Dec 142010

Sienna 6-cyl

The passenger side power sliding door (on my 2004 le AWD Sienna) was jammed (couldn't close or open) after my wife dropped off my daughter to school this morning. When my wife was trying to close the door manually, the left side of the door felt apart and it made a big dent and scratches on the body all over. Fortunately, my wife and my daughter didn't get hurt because of this (but very close.) I had scheduled to bring it to the Toyota dealer tomorrow morning to find out what went wrong and what it will cost to have it fixed. Although it's only 12 miles from my home to the dealer, but it's not going to be a easy trip as I am only using ropes to have the broken door barely tided together.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Dec 022010

Sienna 6-cyl

We have a 2004 Toyota Sienna, which we bought used in September. It is now early December and this is the third day in a row that we've had both rear sliding doors frozen shut. It's obviously winter here and we've had some snow, but I've never had a problem with a vehicle where doors are frozen shut on a consistent basis over several days. If we attempt to open one of the doors, the motor opens it a fraction of an inch and then won't close again completely so that we have to drive with the door not entirely closed. I don't feel that I can have my child in the back safely with this situation, not to mention the inconvenience of having to climb over seats to get in and out. I will not take it on the highway with any passengers for fear the door will suddenly open on the highway without warning. This appears to be a problem with many 2004 Sienna vans and it should be a safety recall.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Jun 152010

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The vehicle was stationary when the contact observed that when accessing the opening and closing of the front driver side door a loud popping noise would occur. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they informed that the door strap spot weld completely fractured and recommended the part be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 87,239. The dealers recommendation was to replace the entire driver side front door. Updated 05/26/11

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Nov 152010

Both sliding door cables snapped and broke in our 2004 Toyota Sienna xle. Because of this we are unable to open either of the rear doors at all to our mini van this is a safety issue as our children have to climb over the front driver side seat in order to get in and out of the vehicle. The dealership states it will cost $1,500 per door to fix this problem and enable us to use our rear we unfortunately do not have to fix this! they quoted $500 per door to disconnect the faulty units and make our power doors manual. I also contacted a non-Toyota repairman and inquire about this...he contacted many sources and was unable to locate any used parts that can be used to fix this. So here we are with our Toyota and because of an obvious faulty sliding door set up we are unable to open and use either of our rear doors!!! we see this as a major safety issue and concern that needs to be addressed! following this thread it really seems to be a major defect and safety problem with the 2004 Toyota Siennas

- Medina, OH, USA

Oct 302010

2004 Toyota Sienna passenger side (power) door refuses to close; broken door cable. Also, the driver's side door (manual) has been broken for over 3 yrs; Toyota fixed this 3 times while still under warranty but refuses to fix it again despite the fact that it is a design defect since it keeps happening.

- Reading, MA, USA

Nov 102010

2004 Toyota Sienna xle van door cable/motor broke. Door stuck open and were not able to close manually. Can't drive because door is stuck open. Only way to fix is cut cable or pay $2000 to Toyota to fix the door motor.

- Brush, CO, USA

Oct 272010

I have a 2004 Sienna. It began making a strange noise when I opened the driver's side rear sliding power door. That night, the van was parked on a downward sloping hill. As my daughter's friend was getting out, suddenly the door slammed shut. I put up my arm to stop the door and luckily she jumped back in time, but she would have been really hurt had she been in the doorway. I had a bruise on my arm that may have been a broken bone on the child. Looking closer, I realized that the cable connected to the door had snapped and was hanging outside the van. I had never heard of this problem before, and am surprised given that the van is only four years old and has low mileage.

- Glenside, PA, USA

Oct 272010

2004 Toyota Sienna power sliding door cable snapped.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 152009

Sienna 4-cyl

The sliding passenger door on our 2004 Toyota Sienna suddenly just stopped working and we cannot use the door now. Passengers on that side cannot get out of the car that way. As we have done some research, this seems to be a common problem with the power door cable in Sienna vans.

- Dryden, NY, USA

Sep 152010

Cables on both rear power sliding doors have frayed and snapped. Replacement cost of cable is excessive at $2200 per door.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 042010

Sienna 6-cyl

Driver side sliding door cable frayed and snapped.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Oct 122010

Sienna 2004 xle power door cable snapped and sliding door wont work. Though car had been serviced by Toyota dealer all the time.

- Longmeadow, MA, USA

Sep 302010

We took our '04 Toyota Sienna to the riverview dealership (mesa, AZ) to have spot welds repaired on front driver's side door (cost $260) and to have front passenger door replaced because the spot welds failed and door frame was damaged beyond repair (Toyota good-willed new door under "warranty enhancement" at approximate cost of $2000). When the service tech was nearing completion of the repairs on 9/30/10, he opened the power slide door on passenger side. The center hinge pin failed. The motor on the power sliding door did not stop when it encountered resistance from the failed center hinge pin. It continued to force the door open causing the center hinge pin to pop out of the track. In the course of the center hinge pin coming out of its track, the track was forced upward into the rear side window causing the window to buckle, shatter and explode glass fragments outward all over. Toyota would not cover the repair expenses. They said it was going to happen sooner or later, and it is our expense. We had paid to have the center hinge pin replaced 14 months prior to this incident on 7/9/09. Toyota would not good will the repair even though the part had failed just 2 months outside of the 1yr part warranty. Estimate for full repair is $2500 for power motor with cables, center hinge pin, window and repair of paint job on rear quarter panel. This goes beyond a mere part failure to a safety issue of exploding glass. Next time it may explode inward into the vehicle showering the occupants in glass shrapnel. Another Toyota Sienna (year unknown) was at the collision center at the same time as our van for the same reason -- failed center hinge pin and blown out rear side window. To avoid another such incident in the future, we did not repair the power motor in the door. It is now a manual door. Cost of repairing window, center hinge pin and making the door manual was $828.04. Our confidence in Toyota' customer care and concern for safety is as shattered as the window.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 102010

Sienna 6-cyl

Normal use of the automatic passenger sliding door of the 2004 Toyota Sienna resulted in cable breaking at 82,000 miles. Have not repaired due to high cost $1,700. Known problem at time of my vehicle's manufacture, tsb issued (EL004-04), but failed outside of warranty. Door is no longer operational which is the safety issue. Children must now exit the vehicle on the street side, instead of the curb side.

- Canby, OR, USA

Apr 012010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While parked, the contact opened the front driver side door and the vehicle exhibited an abnormal popping sound. He also noticed that the door was swinging very loosely from the hinge. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed the failure was due to the welding of the door check lever. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 57,000.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Jul 102010

My 2004 Sienna passenger sliding door cables on both sides have broken making the doors inoperable. The doors open slightly manually making it very difficult to get in and out of the car. The Toyota dealer told us it would cost $3,500 to fix both doors. That is outrageous for something that should last for the life of the car. I am very concerned that the faulty doors might be a safety hazard for my kids with the doors getting jammed in case of an accident or just closing on them manually if parked on a hill. Reading the blogs on the internet this seems to be a common problem with many 2004 Toyota minivans. This obviously should be a recall item fixed by Toyota at their own expense. My car has also been recalled for cable erosion of the spare tire. The dealer has temporarily relocated the spare tire to the trunk. I have lost space in the trunk and cannot fold down my seats as they are supposed to. A timeline for a permanent solution to the problem has not been given.

- Concord, NH, USA

Jun 162008

The door would not open manually, on my sliding door in my 04' Sienna. The only way it would open was to use the one power door- I callled Toyota explaining I have 2 side doors that the locking mechanism was broken and this is a safety issue- they did not feel it was an issue, a month apart both sliding doors stopped opening!! today I pushed the button to open the motor door, a cable went flying sideways and almost cut the principal at our school when I was letting my daughter out for school. The door would not open or close it was just stuck! I called Toyota as I have seeen thousands of 04 Sienna's with the doors doing this- the cable gets a rust spot and just snaps!!! I can not believe that Toyota does not think it is a problem to have children in a car where the door will not either open or close- thats a huge safety issue! let something happen to one of my kids and I will own Toyota!! repairs for this doorare $1800!!! with layoffs and jobs- who has $1800 to just fix something that should have never happened in the first place, normally you could not have to replace the motor you could use the manual door- but, it seems with all the metal in the locking mechanism, and if that little.29 cent piece breaks, you have to replace the whole $600 mechanism. Come on people- seriously! well I have contacted them, this is a huge safety issue far more preceeding a tire cable. Thousands of complaints- Toyota-doesnt seem to think its an issue at all, maybe it will happen to one of them and their kid has a door open while driving or a wreck, and no way to get them out.

- Waddy , KY, USA

Sep 152010

Driver's side door hinge broke inside the door.

- Sewell, NJ, USA