2004 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Nov 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side sliding door cable snapped and will not open. Passengers can be trapped in the van and not able to get out. This is a known problem with Toyota Sienna minivans with electric doors. In addition, the motor is often known to fail. The the cable has a black sheathing that is inadequate and wears causing it to jam in the pulley and break or exposing it to later corrosion and then it will break as well. Toyota has known of this problem for years and does not issue a recall. You only need to check the Toyota forum to confirm the problem with many owners reports. Repairs run $1,200 to $2,000 at the Toyota dealer.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Nov 022013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger sliding door will not open. Even when power is turned off, the door will not open manually which is a safety hazard as my kids can not exit the car from that door if there is an accident. I recently received a csp letter from Toyota about this exact door problem but the letter states the extended warranty is good for 9 years or 120K miles which ever comes first. Unfortunately, I received the letter just after I had the car for 9 years. If I had received the letter and known about the door issue before the 9 years, I would have taken my car in to be fixed. Quote for fixing door is over $1,100.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Sep 162013

Sienna 6-cyl

Went outside to try to open my driver side electrical sliding door and the cable snapped. I can no longer open my door and I have a baby that the car seat is on the working side and now my other kids have to try to jump over the baby or go out the front doors to get out of the car.

- Southington, CT, USA

Jun 242013

Sienna 6-cyl

Power sliding door cable snapped and children in back seat cannot ride safely, as door will not operate properly. Spoke to Toyota, opened a claim, was told the warranty enhancement notice was issued, but although I wasn't over my mileage, I was over the date of 1st use of vehicle. They extended the warranty for this faulty part for 9 years, 120,000 miles. My vehicle sat for 8 months as well when our other Toyota, the Tundra had its frame replaced...but even though they still will not help. They offered to give me a good deal on another Toyota...seriously! I just leased a venza 3 months ago. I do not want another vehicle, I want mine fixed so my passengers can sit in the back seat safely without worry the door won't open or close on them!

- Westfield, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side power sliding door cable broke making the door inoperable. The van cannot be exited on the passenger side. Repair involves motor and cable replacement costing $1720. Toyota extended the warranty to 9 years from purchase and 120,000 miles thereby acknowledging their issue to a faulty part. They wouldn't replace it until it failed. The car was garaged its entire 9 years and therefore it took 127,550 miles to fail. Even though I am within the 9 years of purchase by 4 weeks, Toyota won't honor the warranty extension due to being beyond 120,000 miles. I will have to pay this high cost to replace a door motor out of my own pocket. I will never buy a Toyota again. This cable should never fail and is a faulty product which they have acknowledged.

- Saco, ME, USA

Mar 082013

Upon pressing the open button on the remote for the passenger side sliding rear door, it makes noise but does not open. Upon further investigation we realized the cable had frayed and the door got jammed half way open. We took it to the dealership and were told to ask for an exception but because it was not completely broken they would not fix it! this poses a safety issue as the only exit for rear passengers is now the drivers side rear door until it breaks as well. Research suggests we are just barley over and only months beyond the extended warranty service for this defect @ 120K or 9yrs, leaving us to absorb the entire 1500-1800$ cost associated with repair.

- Redmond, OR, USA

Mar 062013

Sienna 6-cyl

Once opened, the vehicle door would not close. I had to use excessive force to get it to close & the only way it did so was after the power sliding door cable had snapped. Had this happened while away from home, I may have had to drive home with the door open.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

2004 Toyota Sienna le minivan. Consumer writes in regards to defective rear electrical sliding door.

- North Berwick, ME, USA

Jan 102013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side power door cable snapped and the door wouldn't close nor open. Tried to open it manually, no luck unless you use enormous amount of power which might do damage to some other parts of the vehicle. Even if door managed to get open it won't close, which is a safety issue.

- Adelanto, CA, USA

Nov 152012

Sienna 6-cyl

Toyota Sienna's equipped with power sliding doors use a plastic coated steel wire to operate the door via a wheel and motor. This plastic deteriorates over time and the steel wire corrodes and fails leading to the inoperable ability of the door in the power mode. In power mode: The door will remain closed if attempted to be opened while the vehicle is in a motion gear. It also allows the controlled open and closure of the door with an automatic reversal if the door detects obstruction. Disengaging this power mode allows the door to be opened when in motion. It also allows the door to slam closed if vehicle is parked on an incline and could injure a person not expecting the closure or opening. Toyota has offered a "service extension", not a recall, for a part that is integral for the safe operation of the sliding doors. This extension will only cover a small percentage of vehicles in their allotted time frame. The actual failed part is not available for replacement and a whole door actuator must be purchased and installed at $1100 per door.

- Cheswick, PA, USA

Nov 082011

Sienna 6-cyl

I have 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan le model. 2 years ago trying to get out of drivers seat, as I tried to open the door I heard a motorized clicking sound and the door wouldn't open from inside. I took to a mechanic and he found that the metal wire that connects to the latch had broken. I called Toyota and they said it will cost $250 for the assembly that controls the latch to open the door. Last year my power sliding door (passenger side) started acting up. Sometimes the door would open and sometimes it won't when I press the power door button located on the ceiling close to driver's side. Then it would only open from outside if I pull the latch from outside. Then one day when I pulled the door latch from outside to open it, I heard a loud noise and the metal cable that the door slides on snapped! I received an"enhancement recall" letter from Toyota just after the warranty expired. I searched the web and saw complaints that Toyota does this on purpose last minute expecting that customers won't see it in time. I called the Scion dealership in palatine, il and they said that it will cost me $120 to inspect what's wrong with the power door and there are 4 to 5 parts where 1 or more could have gone bad. Some parts are covered and others are not covered by the warran ty. This should be safety recall and could kill a small kid. A class action suit must be filed against Toyota for ripping off customers. They should be fixing it for free since its a design flaw. I would expect an engine to fail at 96000 miles but not the 2 doors (front manual door and power sliding door). Big companies like Toyota needs to cut off bonus form CEO and board of director's paycheck and use the money to correct their design flaws. I paid $32,000 and expect Toyota to return the cost of repair which is $1800+tax or fix it for free and thank me that I did not file a suit against them.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Apr 222012

I tool my car last April to get my recall done on my lift gate and ever since that my lift gate is not working.. I have called them several times and have filed a complaint with Toyota as well but it seems no one is listening to me. Please help.

- Katy, TX, USA

Nov 082012

Sienna 6-cyl

Manufacturer design flaw leads to jammed sliding doors, possibly locking passengers inside. Numerous complaints online. Toyota apparently acknowledges the problem as it has extended warranty on those parts to 9 yrs or 120K miles. Mailing letters earlier this year. I received notice from them when my car had 7 yrs / 130K miles. I think they are not being proactive enough with an issue that rendered one of my doors inoperational. It is not that I can't use the electric door opening mechanism, the defect also impedes the door from opening at all. I think it becomes a safety hazard and should be covered no matter when. It is not my fault it took them several years to acknowledge the problem - my car would be covered had them mailed the letter one year before.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Sep 302010

Rear passenger side power sliding door stops working once in a while. It won't open or close when the power door button is pressed.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Sep 032012

Sienna 6-cyl

I am having trouble with the side power sliding door.

- Revere, MA, USA

Jul 222012

Sienna 6-cyl

Power sliding door cable broke. Confirmed with Toyota dealer that breaking cable caused power door motor to fail. Toyota has warranty enhancement to cover cable, but will not cover motor.

- N Bellmore, NY, USA

Mar 302011

Sienna 6-cyl

Sienna 2004 has had a defective door from about 40-45,000miles. It was intermittent for years until on 3/30/11 it totally quit working. I could never diagnose the reason why it would only work sometimes. Was it related to heat, moisture.... there was no correlation. It quit working. There needs to be a recall not an "extended warranty campaign" but a recall. Also my hatch rear struts that hold up the rear hatch have failed. Hit me in the head failed. I did get those fixed and again there was an extended warranty "campaign" which means select vans are repaired but not all of them. If you look through the complaints that have come in (and can you imagine all that have not even been documented?) then you will see that those Sienna 2004S that have the VIN # that begins: 5tdza23C... have numerous complaints on the same issues that being the electric door assembly and/or the rear struts on the hatch. Now instead of an "extended warranty campaign" Toyota needs to recall and open up the repair to all vehicles. I was told that I should get a new vehicle because they didn't want to repair my old one or deal with the van. My van lies outside of the warranty by 11,000 miles that is it. Even though I have documentation that the door was not working at 126,000 miles they will not repair because it is over 120,000 miles. Today my van has 131,000 and they will not consider unless it is a recall. Please review and categorize these complaints. If you need me to analyze them I will. Contact me. Toyota has unsafe vehicles.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Apr 182012

Sienna 6-cyl

The right side headlight assembly is accumulating moisture and condensation inside which causes the headlight to fail.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 152011

Sienna 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle. Late last year, both of my power sliding doors broke within a week of each other. The cable that operates the doors frayed and snapped apart. I was able to force the doors closed but have not been able to open them since. My kids have had to climb thru the front seats until we could figure out how to fix them. I talked to my local Toyota dealership and was told to fix them the cost of the parts only would be $1200 a door. This cost included a new motor and cable because Toyota does not replace just the cable. I believe this cable issue should of been upgraded to a recall many years ago and is very discomforting to us who are loyal Toyota drivers. We as drivers have paid $30K+ for our vehicles and believe that we should not have to deal with this type of problem on a feature that we paid for as an upgrade to the original package. This is a wide spread problem nationwide from what I have read on several websites and blogs and includes several different year models from what I understand. Thank you for allowing me to share my story and I look forward to hearing about this issue in the near future.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

The doors on our 2004 Sienna frequently "freeze" shut and we are unable to open them automatically or manually. This happens routinely when the temperatures are at or below freezing and are not resolved with turning off the power, doors, lubricating the tracks or warming up the car. The doors spontaneously unlock when we have been driving the car for 15min-1hour. The unlocking occurs while driving and bells sound, dash lights come on. We've taken it to the dealer, but they are not able to replicate the problem, because the issue is intermittent and temperature and time dependent. This is a tremendous inconvenience as we have a newborn, toddler and two school children and a serious safety issue.

- Yakima, WA, USA