2004 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

May 302012

Sienna

The driver side door stop started making a noise when we open and close the door. The window stopped opening completely. Toyota has extended the warranty to 6 years or 100K miles for this defect. They won't repair my vehicle because it is beyond the extension. The cost is over $2,000. Now the door stop has broken off completely and door swings wide. This creates a dangerous situation every time we use the car. My understanding is that the welds were defected and Toyota didn't want to spend 2K per vehicle to repair all the defected cars. Car doors are a major component of any vehicle and shouldn't fail.

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

Nov 092010

Sienna 6-cyl

I started having problems with the power doors and hatch in 2010. I was never informed by Toyota of the tsb-0085-09 and have had to do research myself on the problem. The problem was intermittent and dealerships would not address it. On 5/12 2014 was driving on an interstate at 60 miles an hour in the rain when my power door kept opening and would not close. Someone could have been seriously injured. I had to find a safe place to pull over. It would not manually close. I had to strap the door shut. I feel this is a safety issue that should be fixed by recall.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Jun 042013

Sienna 6-cyl

Vehicle randomly self-locks while in park with car turned off, without any indication. This has happened with my keys inside the vehicle on the seat while putting groceries in the back at the store and at home. It happens all the time now, and its scary, because I have a young child who I strap into the car seat and then walk around to the drivers side, usually after putting my purse and keys down on seat up front. If car self locks, kids could be trapped inside. Research on line shows this is a problem with other Toyota, possibly having something to do with a security system harness glitch or door lock actuator?

- Spanish Fort, AL, USA

Feb 032014

Sienna 6-cyl

Rear sliding door issue - the trunk keeps falling on the head when putting shopping bags. Power sliding door assembly - the sliding door keeps closing and injuring when putting the seat belts for my baby in the car seat. These are safety issues and causing injury.

- Chester Springs, PA, USA

Dec 112012

Sienna 6-cyl

This is a recurring incident. On cold days, the sliding doors will freeze shut. This is a common problem from my understanding, and some folks on web forums have recommended filing a complaint to hopefully get Toyota to issue a recall and resolve the issue. The freezing door problem is exacerbated by the electrical door lock mechanism and open/close sensor on the slider. In many cases, the failed attempt to open the frozen door is enough to trigger the door "open" sensor and cause the interior lights to come on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side sliding door cable snapped and will not open. Passengers can be trapped in the van and not able to get out. This is a known problem with Toyota Sienna minivans with electric doors. In addition, the motor is often known to fail. The the cable has a black sheathing that is inadequate and wears causing it to jam in the pulley and break or exposing it to later corrosion and then it will break as well. Toyota has known of this problem for years and does not issue a recall. You only need to check the Toyota forum to confirm the problem with many owners reports. Repairs run $1,200 to $2,000 at the Toyota dealer.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Nov 022013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger sliding door will not open. Even when power is turned off, the door will not open manually which is a safety hazard as my kids can not exit the car from that door if there is an accident. I recently received a csp letter from Toyota about this exact door problem but the letter states the extended warranty is good for 9 years or 120K miles which ever comes first. Unfortunately, I received the letter just after I had the car for 9 years. If I had received the letter and known about the door issue before the 9 years, I would have taken my car in to be fixed. Quote for fixing door is over $1,100.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Sep 162013

Sienna 6-cyl

Went outside to try to open my driver side electrical sliding door and the cable snapped. I can no longer open my door and I have a baby that the car seat is on the working side and now my other kids have to try to jump over the baby or go out the front doors to get out of the car.

- Southington, CT, USA

Jun 242013

Sienna 6-cyl

Power sliding door cable snapped and children in back seat cannot ride safely, as door will not operate properly. Spoke to Toyota, opened a claim, was told the warranty enhancement notice was issued, but although I wasn't over my mileage, I was over the date of 1st use of vehicle. They extended the warranty for this faulty part for 9 years, 120,000 miles. My vehicle sat for 8 months as well when our other Toyota, the Tundra had its frame replaced...but even though they still will not help. They offered to give me a good deal on another Toyota...seriously! I just leased a venza 3 months ago. I do not want another vehicle, I want mine fixed so my passengers can sit in the back seat safely without worry the door won't open or close on them!

- Westfield, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side power sliding door cable broke making the door inoperable. The van cannot be exited on the passenger side. Repair involves motor and cable replacement costing $1720. Toyota extended the warranty to 9 years from purchase and 120,000 miles thereby acknowledging their issue to a faulty part. They wouldn't replace it until it failed. The car was garaged its entire 9 years and therefore it took 127,550 miles to fail. Even though I am within the 9 years of purchase by 4 weeks, Toyota won't honor the warranty extension due to being beyond 120,000 miles. I will have to pay this high cost to replace a door motor out of my own pocket. I will never buy a Toyota again. This cable should never fail and is a faulty product which they have acknowledged.

- Saco, ME, USA

Mar 082013

Sienna

Upon pressing the open button on the remote for the passenger side sliding rear door, it makes noise but does not open. Upon further investigation we realized the cable had frayed and the door got jammed half way open. We took it to the dealership and were told to ask for an exception but because it was not completely broken they would not fix it! this poses a safety issue as the only exit for rear passengers is now the drivers side rear door until it breaks as well. Research suggests we are just barley over and only months beyond the extended warranty service for this defect @ 120K or 9yrs, leaving us to absorb the entire 1500-1800$ cost associated with repair.

- Redmond, OR, USA

Mar 062013

Sienna 6-cyl

Once opened, the vehicle door would not close. I had to use excessive force to get it to close & the only way it did so was after the power sliding door cable had snapped. Had this happened while away from home, I may have had to drive home with the door open.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

2004 Toyota Sienna le minivan. Consumer writes in regards to defective rear electrical sliding door.

- North Berwick, ME, USA

Jan 102013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side power door cable snapped and the door wouldn't close nor open. Tried to open it manually, no luck unless you use enormous amount of power which might do damage to some other parts of the vehicle. Even if door managed to get open it won't close, which is a safety issue.

- Adelanto, CA, USA

Nov 152012

Sienna 6-cyl

Toyota Sienna's equipped with power sliding doors use a plastic coated steel wire to operate the door via a wheel and motor. This plastic deteriorates over time and the steel wire corrodes and fails leading to the inoperable ability of the door in the power mode. In power mode: The door will remain closed if attempted to be opened while the vehicle is in a motion gear. It also allows the controlled open and closure of the door with an automatic reversal if the door detects obstruction. Disengaging this power mode allows the door to be opened when in motion. It also allows the door to slam closed if vehicle is parked on an incline and could injure a person not expecting the closure or opening. Toyota has offered a "service extension", not a recall, for a part that is integral for the safe operation of the sliding doors. This extension will only cover a small percentage of vehicles in their allotted time frame. The actual failed part is not available for replacement and a whole door actuator must be purchased and installed at $1100 per door.

- Cheswick, PA, USA

Nov 082011

Sienna 6-cyl

I have 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan le model. 2 years ago trying to get out of drivers seat, as I tried to open the door I heard a motorized clicking sound and the door wouldn't open from inside. I took to a mechanic and he found that the metal wire that connects to the latch had broken. I called Toyota and they said it will cost $250 for the assembly that controls the latch to open the door. Last year my power sliding door (passenger side) started acting up. Sometimes the door would open and sometimes it won't when I press the power door button located on the ceiling close to driver's side. Then it would only open from outside if I pull the latch from outside. Then one day when I pulled the door latch from outside to open it, I heard a loud noise and the metal cable that the door slides on snapped! I received an"enhancement recall" letter from Toyota just after the warranty expired. I searched the web and saw complaints that Toyota does this on purpose last minute expecting that customers won't see it in time. I called the Scion dealership in palatine, il and they said that it will cost me $120 to inspect what's wrong with the power door and there are 4 to 5 parts where 1 or more could have gone bad. Some parts are covered and others are not covered by the warran ty. This should be safety recall and could kill a small kid. A class action suit must be filed against Toyota for ripping off customers. They should be fixing it for free since its a design flaw. I would expect an engine to fail at 96000 miles but not the 2 doors (front manual door and power sliding door). Big companies like Toyota needs to cut off bonus form CEO and board of director's paycheck and use the money to correct their design flaws. I paid $32,000 and expect Toyota to return the cost of repair which is $1800+tax or fix it for free and thank me that I did not file a suit against them.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Apr 222012

Sienna

I tool my car last April to get my recall done on my lift gate and ever since that my lift gate is not working.. I have called them several times and have filed a complaint with Toyota as well but it seems no one is listening to me. Please help.

- Katy, TX, USA

Nov 082012

Sienna 6-cyl

Manufacturer design flaw leads to jammed sliding doors, possibly locking passengers inside. Numerous complaints online. Toyota apparently acknowledges the problem as it has extended warranty on those parts to 9 yrs or 120K miles. Mailing letters earlier this year. I received notice from them when my car had 7 yrs / 130K miles. I think they are not being proactive enough with an issue that rendered one of my doors inoperational. It is not that I can't use the electric door opening mechanism, the defect also impedes the door from opening at all. I think it becomes a safety hazard and should be covered no matter when. It is not my fault it took them several years to acknowledge the problem - my car would be covered had them mailed the letter one year before.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Sep 302010

Sienna

Rear passenger side power sliding door stops working once in a while. It won't open or close when the power door button is pressed.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Sep 032012

Sienna 6-cyl

I am having trouble with the side power sliding door.

- Revere, MA, USA