2004 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jul 172009

Sienna

No pertinent events other than pressing the button to open the automatic right passenger door, the cable wire broke. We brought to the Toyota dealership and we were told that it will cost about $1500 to fix it.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Jul 272009

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the passenger side power sliding door failed. The dealer stated that the entire motor assembly for the door needed to be replaced at the cost of $1,000. There were no recalls for this component. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- West Lawn , PA, USA

Dec 252004

Sienna

I bought a 2004 Toyota Sienna ce in ottawa, Ontario, Canada, from a dealer, new, off the lot in August 2004. By the first winter, both back sliding doors would freeze shut, especially the passenger side, and would not open until the vehicle got really hot inside. The dealer had no solution, offered no solution. In addition, by the second year we had three radiators installed, and had both front doors repaired for rusting under a general recall. Also, the rear fan has been going on and off, even with the switch in the "off" position. We have taken this issue to the dealer many times, but they do not have an answer, nor a strategy to figure out why it does this. Finally, this vehicle has rattled inside from day one and is unpleasant to drive. I find the Toyota dealers not interested in you once you buy the car, but after three years to the day the called me wanting to know if I'd buy a new one. I will not buy another Toyota.

- Ottawa, 00, USA

Oct 212006

Sienna

Right sliding door cable snapped and stopped opening automatically. This happen right after warrranty ended and they would only repair it for 2000 +.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Sep 012008

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the motor for the driver's side sliding door failed. As a result, the door can no longer be shut and the vehicle cannot be driven. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and will be repaired at the cost of $1,600. The failure and current mileages were 58,000.

- Ralligh, NC, USA

Nov 052008

Sienna

1. no unusual events to vehicle. Usual school drop off of passenger. Powered sliding door was activated for opening on Nov. 5th 2008. Door is well lubricated and no other symptoms of failure were noticed before failure. 2. powered, rear, sliding, passenger side door (rh) will not open fully. Door cannot be opened in manual over-ride. Door only opens 4 inches, then jams. Difficult to close after jam. 3. root cause of failure is shedding cable jacket jamming door center hinge pulleys. Door will require a new motor, cable assembly, center bracket no 1, and center hinge.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Feb 072008

Sienna

Initially the dr side low beam headlight would not light. Dealer replaced bulb and ECU module. Warranty replacement. Cause was reported the ECU failed. Months later the dr side low beam headlight failed again but after the one year repair work warranty. This time it was reported to be the bulb and was replaced, dlr. Would not warrant the work, even the extended warranty supposedly did not cover. Cost to cust. Was $395. Currently the passenger side low beam headlight has quit working, several months ago and cust. Bought direct replacement bulb and installed it. That did not remedy the problem. It appears that the ECU for the passenger side low beam headlight may be faulty. It has been reported that costs for the ECU and dlr labor to replace would cost about $800. This seems to fall in the safety category and should be a recall and warranty work. Different dlr states that they can diagnose for $125 and determine the problem. Oh what to do! please help. All for seemingly a burned out headlamp. The service attitude and associated costs by the mfr. And dealers are piracy to say the least. I wouldn't mind paying my way but this seems to be a problem that is more widespread than just a few. Even in some other models. Unconscionable policy!

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jul 162008

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator flashes intermittently on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer approximately three times and they stated that the wiring in the seat back needed to be replaced. The current mileage was 52,622 and failure mileage was 47,000.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Jul 082008

Sienna

The right power sliding door cable on the 2004 Toyota Sienna le broke. The car was 5.1 years old, bought new in 2003, and had 69,000 ml. On the day of problem. No indications on a sliding mechanism were prior to the incident. As always the door was activated by the remote control. It did not open on several attempts. When I approached it and tried to open by the handle I saw the cable being rusty and broken. The dealer worked with Toyota on the issue and Toyota offered to pay 50% of parts and labor, but my fee is still above $800. Toyota refused to cover it entirely, although the problem is well known to them. Toyota.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-07-05_074916_sienna_sliding_door_inop.pdf. no extended warranty on this part was offered by Toyota. I can not use this door in any way until is repaired, even if I set it to act manually, it won't open more than 1/2 ft. The only way my two children can get in/out the car is from the left side door. Where one's car seat is installed. Needless to say this is a serious safety issue as the left side is the one to the road and children jump out or run to the car in a blink of an eye.

- Lansing, NY, USA

May 152004

Sienna 6-cyl

"battery saver" feature is only partially in my 2004 Toyota Sienna. The owners manual and the Toyota service manual state that "if any door is left open, then the room lights should go out after 20 minutes". this feature is only partially operable as the ignition key cylinder lights and the two front personal lights do go off, but all other interior lights remain on with an open door. Toyota has taken no action to correct problem. When a door is inadvertently left open, the battery will discharge, removing the ability to start the vehicle. There are numerous reports of this problem on the internet.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jul 152004

Sienna 6-cyl

On 5/29/2004 I purchased my Toyota Sienna. I started having "mysterious" lights coming on at all different times. On 7/15/2004, I went out to my car and it wouldn't start. This was the beginning of a nightmare. Since then my car has been in the shop at least 6 times for this problem. I have not had my car start at least once a month since I purchased it. I would usually just jump the battery but they could never tell me the reason why it kept on happening. There were times that I couldn't even leave my doors open for 5 minutes without it wearing the battery down. When the battery is checked it is always fine. When the battery is fully charged I have the interior lights turn on for no reason. They have put in a new battery and replaced the jbl audio switch because that had been shown to turn on intermittently and drain the battery/engine. Neither of these solutions have worked. They finally told me that my car had too many "bells and whistles" (which all are factory installed) and that I need to connect to a car charger when I come home or to go on long drives at least once a week.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Mar 012007

Sienna

Power sliding door inoperative stopped working not really sure of the date it stopped working(our lease was approaching the end) as we found sliding door to be too slow and not safe therefore we turned it off. We leased vehicle and therefore returned it. Toyota parkway in hamilton, Ontario, Canada service performed a diagnostic test to tell me the cable and motor on the power door needed replacing. We were informed it would cost over $2,000 to fix the door(cable and motor) I was given the option to take elsewhere for a quote. Where I had it fixed said there was nothing wrong with the motor it did not cost me $2,000. I returned it to Toyota with the door working. I spoke to the general manager (parkway Toyota) and he mentioned there were problems with the power doors. He refused to cover my costs as I did not have it fixed at Toyota. I was not told that they would take care of it in the beginning. Both sliding doors freezing shut in cold weather- passengers had to go out the hatch door I have heard of melting ice pooling on the door but nothing done to correct. We returned vehicle fed up by this point. Too many recalls and issues for a Toyota.

- Hamilton,On,Canada, 00, USA

Jan 252007

Sienna 6-cyl

- the contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact explained that the rear door liftgate did not stay open when used. The contact would push the key fob to open the automatic rear door and the door would open. After a short period of time they would close without warning. The door normally has a chime to alert the contact when the door is closing, but when it closes in error there isn't a chime to alert the contact of the closing. The contact has been hit several times because of this failure. Updated 2/27/2007 -over the past few weeks the rear door would close immediately after being opened. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but hey did not fix it.

- Newton, MA, USA

Jan 172007

Sienna 6-cyl

Auto powered rear door; when powered opened will open all the way and a few seconds later suddenly close without warning. It has happened a few times, only in cold weather. This has happened after Toyota fixed the hatch studdering problem. I was injured (bruised) in the head due the door hitting me as it automatically closed by itself (note it did not stop closing after it hit my head).

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 012006

Sienna

Intermittently the back lift door on our 2004 Toyota Sienna xle minivan closes unexpectedly. So far, no one had been injured by the closing door, but we have had a couple of very close calls. This happens when only the door has been raised using the remote control and most often on cool wet days..

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Nov 052006

Sienna 6-cyl

The owners manual of my 2004 Toyota Sienna indicates that there is a safety feature that turns off the lights after a period of time, if the door is left open. However, it doesn't work correctly, and my battery has been drained numerous times.

- Toronto, On Canada, 00, USA

Mar 022004

Sienna 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving out of a driveway at 5 mph, the vehicle stalled when acceleration was attempted. The engine warning signal illuminated. The problem had reoccured frequently at any speed. The dealership was not able to duplicate the defect in nine times the vehicle had been taken to correct the problem. The contact decided to obtain a second opinion from an independent certified mechanic who observed the coil ignition assistance burned out and the fifth cylinder was misfiring. The second opinion was ratified by another dealership. The contact expressed the dealership delayed the required repairs until the vehicle remaining warranty were exhausted. The dealership was now ready to make the repairs.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Aug 242006

Sienna 6-cyl

The right rear automatic door closure mechanism exploded sending plastic shrapnel forwards hitting my wife in the face. She was sitting sideways with her feet out of the van she reached backwards and pressed the close button located on the pillar. There was a big noise that sounded like a rock hitting the van. We looked for damage to van then discovered the broken cable dangling and the door would not close. Luckily my wife had sunglasses on.

- Tillsonburg, 00, USA

Mar 052006

Sienna 6-cyl

The rear deck lid on my 2004 Sienna xle limited van has a remote automatic open & close feature. I used the auto open and while placing items in the rear storage area, the deck lid closed (under power) without command, striking me and my son. The auto-stop feature didn't engage until I pushed very hard against the lid. As soon as I let go, it came down again. There were no prior incidents or any unusual behavior to indicate a problem with the operation of the deck lid. The lid hasn't worked since and it won't stay open without someone holding it. A week after the incident I found a Toyota technical service bulletin BO0003-04 that states "back door stays for 2004 model year Sienna vehicles have been redesigned in order to provide improved resistance to seal damage and prevent leakage." I checked my back door stays (gas or hydraulic filled struts) and they were both leaking. I checked the internet user forum "siennaclub.org" and found several similar complaints from Sienna owners in the U.S. and Canada. In my opinion, the uncommanded closing of a rear deck lid in a mini-van constitutes a serious safety hazard. Just a guess, most mini-van owners have or Transport children. There is no way a child could have stopped and reversed the lid that closed on me and my son. This should be a recall issue, not a service bulletin that Toyota is not required to disclose and in fact, can charge to repair.

- Compton, CA, USA

Feb 032005

Sienna 6-cyl

Battery saver feature discussed in owner's manual for 2004 Sienna does not work. Sliding door inadvertently left open for 3 hours while visiting country friends. Battery drained to point engine would not turn over. Had to connect battery charger in cold rain to crank. Owners camping out with this vehicle may find themselves stranded and could possibly result in loss of life.

- Sumter, SC, USA